• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT5| The Man In the High Chair

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone yet talk about how Trump's literally threatening to economically isolate the State of Alaska over Murkowski?

Here's a link:

https://www.adn.com/politics/2017/0...e-could-have-energy-repercussions-for-alaska/

there was a thread about it.

it's insane
------------------------------------------

start from the beginning

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-RsAGjUXtg

this is really interesting

William browder is one the the people that got the maginsky act created.

Mike M

Nick N
I half expect Mooch is ginning up conflict with Preibus as part of some idiot scheme to defuse the Trump/Sessions feud by redirecting Trump's ire midstream because they think that a sitting president publicly demeaning their own CoS is somehow not noteworthy.

Anyone yet talk about how Trump's literally threatening to economically isolate the State of Alaska over Murkowski?

If Sullivan had any balls he'd withdraw support from the healthcare battle, and all future legislative issues, until Trump or his administration either apologized or reaffirmed support for the great state of Alaska.

This would have to go to the CBO and so that means they can't have a vote tomorrow because they have to wait 28 hours or so, or else they need 60 votes. So Monday?

Will the Hillary thread be locked by the end of the day, or do you think the toxicity will abate?

I think the lock will come at about 4 PM central time.

Edit: Never mind, because the bill is technically an amendment, this somehow gets around the 28 hour parliamentarian rule.

Today is already terrible! HURRAY!

So there'd be no CBO score in time if they haven't even written the bill, which supposedly means that the bill needs 60 to pass unless McConnell decides to effectively abolish the legislative filibuster...

https://twitter.com/jrovner/status/890574583304261633

There's no way McConnell would nuke the filibuster if he didn't even know this would pass (because it hasn't BEEN WRITTEN YET).

God damn the GOP are such clown shoes.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Will the Hillary thread be locked by the end of the day, or do you think the toxicity will abate?

I think the lock will come at about 4 PM central time.

Tolerant Centrist Autodidact declares opposing sentiment toxic in bold new move.

What's the maximum amount of time on a motion to proceed?

Is there a time limit before they need to vote again to keep it going?

Also these lunches they do have never been productive in the entire history of this bill (and one time it even made things worse, the first time around in the senate). Yet they keep making a big deal about them, as if they're highly productive work sessions.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I feel like McConnell will nuke the fillbuster. He is using every trick in the book to get this through.

I don't think he needs to for this, does he? There was already a CBO for a skinny repeal.

What's the maximum amount of time on a motion to proceed?

Is there a time limit before they need to vote again to keep it going?

Also these lunches they do have never been productive in the entire history of this bill (and one time it even made things worse, the first time around in the senate). Yet they keep making a big deal about them, as if they're highly productive work sessions.

If I remember right, it can go on for about as long as McConnell wants, but they're butting up against the Senate recess and Trump's vacation.

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
Why would they need to draft anything when they can just dust off the old independent counsel statute?

I would hope that it would be to block all avenues that Trump could use to get rid of Mueller because as we've seen in 2017, much of our government's "check and balances" have relied on behavioral norms rather than any kind of actual policies or laws.

I would hope that it would be to block all avenues that Trump could use to get rid of Mueller because as we've seen in 2017, much of our government's "check and balances" have relied on behavioral norms rather than any kind of actual policies or laws.

It'd also theoretically keep them from having to take the unpopular move of adopting Mueller for themselves were Mueller to be fired. They'd rather fight the battle to keep the status quo rather than fight the battle to legitimately upset Trump.

Yeah that doesn't surprise me at all

I sound like a broken record but he went too close to the sun, they're going to walk that back after the massive backlash they got

Hahahahaha, Trump's "ban" is ineffectual per Joint Chiefs of Staff until ordered otherwise. Pretty much ignoring Trump's Twitter:

https://twitter.com/idreesali114/status/890584115669602304

Aaaaand he probably won't care enough to give specific instructions and might not want to receive further blowback from the public.

So basically, he might've caused a whole round of bad press for absolutely nothing - a running theme in this administration.

Why would they need to draft anything when they can just dust off the old independent counsel statute?
I don't think there's any "just ___" solution for what is happening. There are options and avenues and possibilities but every action Trump takes in this regard is an institutional test. It's better to have two or three counter efforts than just one.

There are legal and political checks but they are underpinned by an assumed respect for rule of law and a kind of social contract between the President and the branches of government. Trump recognizes none of this.

Lots of lol craziness here:

andrew kaczynski
@KFILE

Mike Pence's 1990s op-ed, saying Mulan was liberal propaganda to influence the debate over women in military was best thing I ever found.

DFqrFQ6UIAAy4LL.jpg:large

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
Hahahahaha, Trump's "ban" is ineffectual per Joint Chiefs of Staff until ordered otherwise. Pretty much ignoring Trump's Twitter:

https://twitter.com/idreesali114/status/890584115669602304

But the cat is out of the bag at this point. The military already has a "talent" retention problem and I would imagine Trump's fuckup will still cause people that might've stuck it out until retirement to get out because at this point they're working on borrowed time. Separating from the military is already chaotic enough. Separating because fuckboi in chief woke up one morning and decided to end your career would be hell on Earth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom