• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT5| The Man In the High Chair

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I rather enjoy that they had Zinke of all people call and threaten Murkowski. You know, the woman who controls the ability to move forward interior nominations and controls the appropriation dollars for the department.

Oh guess what?

giphy.gif

What a fucking dumbass :lol

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Sahil Kapur‏Verified account @sahilkapur

John Cornyn says Senate passing "skinny" repeal would NOT block far-reaching changes in conference cmte because House bill's scope is broad.

OK, John.

kirblar

Im avoiding that thread for the most part.

Its wild because I was full-on team Hillary during the primaries, and was calling for Bernie to drop for months.
If you're jumping from full-on cheerleader to full-on hater, maybe the problem is your inability to actually take a nuanced position?

pigeon

Banned
Today the hearing to confirm Interior subcabinet nominees was postponed indefinitely.

Coincidentally, Lisa Murkowski (R-AK) is the chair of the relevant committee.

edit: I got airhorned by Futurevoid

PBY

Banned
If you're jumping from full-on cheerleader to full-on hater, maybe the problem is your inability to actually take a nuanced position?

I don't hate Clinton. Go back an read my posts during the primary. I still feel the same way about her.

2016 put in stark perspective for me that centrism will never work. She was a bad vessel for the platform in hindsight, and the platform needs a ton of work.

She's been maligned for 20 years, but its a lie to think that she isn't ONE of the reasons America has such a negative view of the Democrats. Americans hate her more than Trump, and Americans strongly dislike the Democratic party. She's a figurehead, not sure how you can deny it. I watch Fox News all the time, and they spend a good portion of their airtime just absolutely crushing her.

This book isn't going to help the party. Its going to re-ignite discussions that were already dormant on the left, and absolutely light a fire under the right.

Who knows what the net effects of this will be, probably not much. But it definitely doesn't help the party. And that's all everyone who cares about the future of this country should be focused on - winning in 2018.

I truly shudder to think of the damage this administration could have inflicted on the country by this point if they were remotely competent.

I don't hate Clinton. Go back an read my posts during the primary. I still feel the same way about her.

2016 put in stark perspective for me that centrism will never work. She was a bad vessel for the platform in hindsight, and the platform needs a ton of work.

She's been maligned for 20 years, but its a lie to think that she isn't ONE of the reasons America has such a negative view of the Democrats. Americans hate her more than Trump, and Americans strongly dislike the Democratic party. She's a figurehead, not sure how you can deny it. I watch Fox News all the time, and they spend a good portion of their airtime just absolutely crushing her.

This book isn't going to help the party. Its going to re-ignite discussions that were already dormant on the left, and absolute light a fire under the right.

Who knows what the net effects of this will be, probably not much. But it definitely doesn't help the party. And that's all everyone who cares about the future of this country should be focused on - winning in 2018.

Americans don't hate her more than Trump, she got more votes than he did! Americans don't like either political party really! She's less of a figurehead than Bernie Sanders right now and he didn't even win the primary!

Maybe you've been watching *too* much Fox News and have accidentally absorbed some of it.

I don't hate Clinton. Go back an read my posts during the primary.

This book isn't going to help the party. Its going to re-ignite discussions that were already dormant on the left, and absolute light a fire under the right.

Clinton's platform and messaging was anything but centrist. Talking about police brutality and the struggles of black people and institutional racism was not centrist. If Clinton was a one of the maligned moderates, then there exists very little of a left movement in the US.

Anyway the fact that you can't see how sexism in the 80s and 90s destroyed a lot of her image and caused conservatives to hate her is the problem. To be honest after all the good she has done despite mistakes she herself has admitted to, I would think the least we can do is not bitch and moan about her releasing a damn book

Oh and suggestion stop watching so much damn fox news. Their ratings are actually declining so maybe stop using them as a barometer for the world thinks. Fox News absolutely despises Obama as well because they are racist as fuck. That doesn't mean Obama needs to stop showing up places.

And one more thing I don't know if you realize it but your constant vitriol shows how the conservatives have actually won. There entire shtick was to destroy the woman's image and it's largely succeeded because people get tired of all the negative coverage.

Vixdean

This book isn't going to help the party. Its going to re-ignite discussions that were already dormant on the left, and absolutely light a fire under the right.

I disagree with mostly your entire post but especially this. The discussions were never "dormant", Berniestans still haven't shut their fucking mouths about him and the right never stopped railing on Hillary. She's still their goto foil for everything Trump does wrong.

PBY

Banned
Americans don't hate her more than Trump, she got more votes than he did! Americans don't like either political party really! She's less of a figurehead than Bernie Sanders right now and he didn't even win the primary!

Maybe you've been watching *too* much Fox News and have accidentally absorbed some of it.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...l-trump-will-like-clinton-even-more-unpopular

This is fucking Selzer too.

I disagree with mostly your entire post but especially this. The discussions were never "dormant", Berniestans still haven't shut their fucking mouths about him and the right never stopped railing on Hillary. She's still their goto foil for everything Trump does wrong.

I said the left discussions were most dormant (the underlying policy debates remain however). I never said the right doesn't talk about her - I specifically posted that FoxNews rails against her daily and links her to the left. This will only increase.

Blader

So if the Senate passes skinny repeal tomorrow and the bill goes to conference, does whatever bill that comes out of there then have to go through a House vote and Senate vote all over again? I'm not entirely clear on the process.

I rather enjoy that they had Zinke of all people call and threaten Murkowski. You know, the woman who controls the ability to move forward interior nominations and controls the appropriation dollars for the department.

Oh guess what?

giphy.gif

lmao

I mean, Americans only disapprove of Hillary more than Trump because now 1/5 of her voters are mad at her. Not really a fair comparison, and you know that.

I'm also legitimately curious for her POV, not like I'll buy the book or anything. I like hearing from losers about their loss.

barber

Americans don't like losers. In such a divided country, the main bulk of your popularity is in your base: in this case democrats. As Clinton lost, she is seen as the cause of Trump, regardless if it's all 100% her fault, tanking her popularity. That as well as some less entusiatic people (such as more liberal or young voters) can express more openly their complains. I mean, she was more popular until the election, so...

I truly shudder to think of the damage this administration could have inflicted on the country by this point if they were remotely competent.

We should probably start imagining it. Because it isn't unlikely someone much smarter won't try a lot of the same tactics that Trump has implemented in the very near future.

The one silver lining I guess is that a lot of the ones that tried that and were full on supporters of his in 2016 and tried primary challenging establishment republicans who ran away from him pretty much all lost. Maybe Trump really is the only one who could pull off what he did. Maybe the fact that his brand and "good businessman" identity regardless of the reality was ingrained in people's minds so much over the past 30+ years that only the special combination of that and his approach can make it successful.

But it isn't unlikely that future candidates will look more like Trump and the Kasich family man bush era "values" Republican course correction doesn't happen.

Also That Mitt documentary was fascinating. Getting a loser perspective is always interesting. That's enough of a reason alone to out out the book. You are welcome to go submit a criticism of the book at amazon.com

So if the Senate passes skinny repeal tomorrow and the bill goes to conference, does whatever bill that comes out of there then have to go through a House vote and Senate vote all over again? I'm not entirely clear on the process.

Yes, but that's not a stage where it'll die via a vote. If we're at that point where they're taking a vote, it's passing. It's basically a formality at that point.

Last PPP poll had voters wishing Clinton was president over Trump by a 49-41 margin. I feel like that's the more important metric here.

Kerry's approval rating was similarly shit after 04. People don't like it when their preferred candidate blows it.

Gosh I can't wait til Hillary says something nice about gillibrand in 2020 after being asked and the shitstorm that will ensue. It's already going to just be a relitigation of the basic concept of the 2016 primary.

Ogodei

I just did the math, and based on last year's Clinton/Trump numbers, Democrats would have won 214 seats under "fair" maps (whereby they win seats roughly proportional to their share of the vote within a state).

Getting back to a majority is easy once districting problems are dealt with. We're even due a seat in Utah based on Clinton's vote share there (28% with a 4-member delegation).

Maybe that should be the rule for fair representation, try to create districts that would match the partisan vote-share of the state. So in Utah's case you'd have to draw 1 liberal district (probably a sliver-shaped district from Provo to Salt Lake City, or from SLC to Ogden) and 3 conservative ones.

PBY

Banned
Gosh I can't wait til Hillary says something nice about gillibrand in 2020 after being asked and the shitstorm that will ensue. It's already going to just be a relitigation of the basic concept of the 2016 primary.

People already know where Gillibrand stands, I don't think that will matter.

pigeon

Banned

I assume Hillary will just endorse Bernie to make the haters explode.

Vixdean

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...l-trump-will-like-clinton-even-more-unpopular

This is fucking Selzer too.

I said the left discussions were most dormant (the underlying policy debates remain however). I never said the right doesn't talk about her - I specifically posted that FoxNews rails against her daily and links her to the left. This will only increase.

I just whole heartedly disagree with any notion that we should stop spitting truths because they rub people the wrong way. It's how we got into this stupid fucking mess in the first place.

Loxley

Yeah the Mitt documentary was really good, especially once it gets to election night. You can see it in Romeny's eyes the moment he realizes he's lost the election. He genuinely thought he was going to win, to the point where he didn't even have a concession speech written just in case. Sitting in a hotel room surrounded by his family and campaign staff, tears in his eyes, he asks "Does anyone know how to write a concession speech?".

I mean, Americans only disapprove of Hillary more than Trump because now 1/5 of her voters are mad at her. Not really a fair comparison, and you know that.

I'm also legitimately curious for her POV, not like I'll buy the book or anything. I like hearing from losers about their loss.

Her post election comments give me reason to believe it likely won't be self reflexive enough to be worth reading.

Like sure it would be interesting to see her take on Comey, but I doubt that it'll take into consideration Comey literally said he had to be more open with the investigation because Bill compromised Lynch and that even though he knew nothing was going to come of the case he almost appointed a special prosecutor just so it didn't appear to the public that the FBI and Justice Departments were sweeping the investigation under the rug. Like, yeah I'm sure it's incredibly unlikely anyone would just acknowledge their husband basically compromised a sitting Attorney General during an investigation but I find it hard to see an honest take on Comey or an assessment on whether or not his actions were appropriate without taking that into consideration.

Anyone else thinks Jeff Sessions himself is in on this whole thing? Let's not forget hes part of the Russian mess. This is the only way they can get rid of Special council.

This seems fishy as fuck

That implies that Trump is more than just an angry old man that lashes out at everyone every chance he gets. It's really amazing how Trump is basically playing a fucked up game of Tetris against himself at this point.

Trump 1: I'm gonna send this long piece in the form of Sessions down there.

Trump 2: Who the fuck decided to put this long piece here? It's blocking everything! Goddammit!

Yeah the Mitt documentary was really good, especially once it gets to election night. You can see it in Romeny's eyes the moment he realizes he's lost the election. He genuinely thought he was going to win, to the point where he didn't even have a concession speech written just in case. Sitting in a hotel room surrounded by his family and campaign staff, tears in his eyes, he asks "Does anyone know how to write a concession speech?".

Obviously we just have an incredible and unthinkable upset that defied expectations in 2016, but why was the Romney camp so certain they were going to win? I wasn't paying attention at that time and took an Obama presidency for granted.

PBY

Banned
Obviously we just have an incredible and unthinkable upset that defied expectations in 2016, but why was the Romney camp so certain they were going to win? I wasn't paying attention at that time and took an Obama presidency for granted.

Unskewing, basically from what I recall.

Blader

The best moment in the Mitt doc is when he tries to iron his jacket sleeves while wearing it. I would've probably done the same.

Last PPP poll had voters wishing Clinton was president over Trump by a 49-41 margin. I feel like that's the more important metric here.

Kerry's approval rating was similarly shit after 04. People don't like it when their preferred candidate blows it.

Kerry's approvals were below Bush's heading into the '06 midterms. Didn't seem to matter much!

I totally think Clinton should write a book, but I wish it were something like "how I would do things" and not a retrospective on her campaign. She's a terrible campaigner but I think she'd have been a great President. I don't expect great insight from her on the nature of her loss.

A genuine belief that Obama was a huge failure that nobody liked, and that polls were misleading or missing large demographics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom