• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT5| The Man In the High Chair

Status
Not open for further replies.
iEx94JJ.png

Fuck The Republicans.

So are they magically going to find the votes for the skinny repeal and end the filibuster and somehow convince the HFC to vote for a bill they hate and also Ted Cruz is going to fund abortions?

As we've seen through this entire process, the expectations of senate aides almost never actually pans out.

Zolo

So are they magically going to find the votes for the skinny repeal and end the filibuster and somehow convince the HFC to vote for a bill they hate and also Ted Cruz is going to fund abortions?

As we've seen through this entire process, the expectations of senate aides almost never actually pans out.

There's too much chaos.

I think people who think the idea of him running will be funny are off their rocker

He will obviously use Facebook to push himself and curtail his opponents. Even if he really sucks and falls flat his social media presence and the amount CNN will jerk off to the "OMG DEMOCRATIC TRUMP" narrative will soak up so much time from actual candidates who legitimately have something to say

I don't like the idea of the founder of an omnimegaglobo social platform running for President either, believe me. I don't think it's funny. But Zuckerberg's cult of personality is zero. It might be negative. It's not like if Steve Jobs had Presidential ambitions. Nobody implicitly trusts Mark Zuckerberg's ideas, and he has no charisma as a celebrity.

I would rather he just fucked off, and wielding a massive platform like Facebook is problematic. But realistically, I don't think he'd be very successful at brainwashing the masses if he tried.

Frankly I dont think Moochy is going to last beyond a few months. He charmed his way in with Trump and now he's flying too close to the sun. Reince and Ryan may be spineless but they're political weasals. They will do him dirty.

Huckleberry will be the new Comms director and Boris Ephsteyn will be the Press Sec by the end of the year.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
It's a dig at LaughingStock and NYT press coverage of Trump during the primaries being oddly positive.

LaughStock posted an insane OP-ed claiming that negative coverage of Trump is leading US voters to distrust the media.

Just can't tell anymore, parody is reality.

Ideally, it would just be a repeal of the Medical Equipment Tax haha.

Not possible via reconciliation, although in different times they could likely get 8 Democrats to sign on. But after this whole ordeal, no chance for that.

They might be able to cut the tax for 10 years though, and that would completely work out for everyone.

Frankly I dont think Moochy is going to last beyond a few months. He charmed his way in with Trump and now he's flying too close to the sun. Reince and Ryan may be spineless but they're political weasals. They will do him dirty.

Huckleberry will be the new Comms director and Boris Ephsteyn will be the Press Sec by the end of the year.

I mean, he's got step 1 down on how to get on Trump's good side as an employee; fight other employees like crazy. Trump thinks this makes his employees strong, and he's frequently unhappy with the quiet ones that don't like to brawl like that.

Step 2 is actually winning the brawls. Forever. It's like gladiator combat; if you don't fight, you get killed. If you do fight, you keep fighting until you get killed. Eventually the Mooch loses a big argument and falls out of favor, and it's game over.

The only people secure from this are people Trump can't explicitly fire or force out but who he thinks are still his employees. That's why he thinks he can bully Senators.

The Insurance Lobbies hate getting rid of the Individual Mandate and I would imagine they're echoing in the GOP chambers right now. This is really just going to be getting rid of the dumb medical device tax isn't it?

PBY

Banned
I don't really understand the outsized coverage of Scaramucci.

It seems to me like he gets covered a ton due to the media's tendency for self-importance and self-fellation.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
The FAILING NEW YORK TIMES is mean to Trump, but they can't always shit on him becauae the economy hasn't gone up in flames since he has been in office.

...Yet.
The only way I can read the economy and make since of it, is that businesses don't believe Trump or the current Congress will do anything economically meaningful.

Ginsburg and Scalia Replacement from a 51-49 or 52-48 D Senate with a still R House majority is the alternate reality of Hillary today. Basically Obama 2nd term redux with Executive Orders remaining in tack. 2018 midterm defeat of the Romney 5 and 2, 3 out of 5 Swing State 5 losses bringing R's to a 8-10 Senate pickup. House stays R through the next decade. Continued down ballot losses and few if any State legislature or State Offices pickups.

Maybe Bi-partisan immigration reform but I doubt it.
Continued state legislature losses would make rightwing constitutional amendments possible by 2021 in this timeline.

kirblar

It seems to me like he gets covered a ton due to the media's tendency for self-importance and self-fellation.
It's because it's caused a massive internal rift in the administration. There's a lot of stuff happening behind the scenes there because the mainstream Rs working there hate him, and we've had two resignations so far!

PBY

Banned
It's because it's caused a massive internal rift in the administration. There's a lot of stuff happening behind the scenes there because the mainstream Rs working there hate him, and we've had two resignations so far!

Ehh I find all this palace intrigue stuff to generally be fluff and meaningless, but specifically with respect to Scaramucci.

I mean, in his first week on the job, he's potentially sicced the FBI on the WH Chief of Staff in a public confrontation. That's pretty newsworthy!

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
The only way I can read the economy and make since of it, is that businesses don't believe Trump or the current Congress will do anything economically meaningful.

They're all still hoping for big tax cuts. Plus the economy isn't going to just sink out of nowhere, this is still all Obama. We won't see the effects of Trump for another year.

PBY

Banned
I mean, in his first week on the job, he's potentially sicced the FBI on the WH Chief of Staff in a public confrontation. That's pretty newsworthy!

I mean, its all newsworthy and should be reported.

But its relatively meaningless compared to the amount of coverage this gets.

Continued state legislature losses would make rightwing constitutional amendments possible by 2021 in this timeline.

There is no reality where this is possible.

All those dumb articles about it make wild assumptions and count states with GOP governors that would never sign onto it, like Massachusetts. Or states where one house is controlled by the GOP (like NY) where there is a 0% chance all three are controlled by the GOP enough to move forward.

kirblar

If they got rid of the mandate, could States pass a mandate for their State?
Probably, but the political will to do so wouldn't be there, especially w/ most being R-controlled. Better to watch premiums rise and get people pissed off anyway if that's what happens. (hopefully it doesn't come to that.)

I wonder if Newt himself will decide to run for president.

Again?

Newt was actually kind of a Trump trial balloon in 2012. The primary electorate fucked around with him in early 2012 because he was all but promising to punch Obama in the face in the middle of a debate.

Ultimately he was just too toxic a candidate with too much scandalous baggage and too obviously a shitbag to win anything, though. Ah, those were the days.

PBY

Banned
He's getting bamboozled again!

I bet they told him "Oh, don't worry, we'll make this a lot better in the committee"

He wasn't voting for the other bills due to reasons like this. They need to stop telling him they're going to do something and then secretly change their minds behind his back. He doesn't like that.

He's going to vote for it regardless, it doesn't matter what they do.

teiresias

I figured you'd be glad they had stopped covering the meaningless Russia stuff for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom