• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT6| Made this thread during Harvey because the ratings would be higher

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirblar

Man I love Kamala Harris. She's great when she just takes herself a bit less seriously. Her laugh is awesome and she's good at joking around with people. Very sharp and smart too.

It may seem weird that I'm focusing so much on her personality traits, but a campaign vs Trump is naturally going to turn into a personality war lol, and that's where Hillary particularly struggled.
Those traits are where I worry about her as a hypothetical candidate.

I wonder how state laws barring major party candidates from appearing on the ballot would even stand up in court.

Depends on whether any Republican group wants to go to bat for what is essentially stronger federal control of election rules (something they do not want).

Seeing that trump called obama a racist while he worked on the apprentice.

There is literally a tweet covering every bullshit controversy conservatives or the white house brings up in defense or on behalf of trump.

Eidan

What are the Sanders supporters grievances with Harris again? All I ever see is people repeating the whole Mnuchin thing...is it seriously just that and murmurings that donors like her? Tell me there's more.

kirblar

What are the Sanders supporters grievances with Harris again? All I ever see is people repeating the whole Mnuchin thing...is it seriously just that and murmurings that donors like her? Tell me there's more.
There's legit criticism over an incident/legal battle w/ a trans prisoner which she is getting legitimate criticism for.

Then there's that other unstated thing in light of the way the demographic breakdowns went down in the last 2 dem primaries that's impossible to ignore when someone puts out an article going after Kamala Harris, Cory Booker and Deval Patrick.

wutwutwut

So... since it's fun to imagine.

if in some alternate reality Trump did get (probably public option) UHC and sensible immigration reform passed, would you vote for him for a second term?

Pixieking

Banned

if in some alternate reality Trump did get (probably public option) UHC and sensible immigration reform passed, would you vote for him for a second term?

I'm not a US citizen, but... whatthefuckno!

There's a difference between someone being good, and someone happening to do a good thing or two. Trump is an awful person who happens to be easily manipulated by people who are trying to do good.

wutwutwut

OK, probably not the best question -- a Democrat would be unquestionably better than Trump.

Let's say Trump gets one of those two passed and then Mueller comes out with enough evidence to impeach him (but not Pence). Would Democrats go for it? Remember that the alternative is Pence, who is both evil and competent.

It'd be ironic if Republicans were the ones looking to impeach him.

watershed

Banned
OK, probably not the best question -- a Democrat would be unquestionably better than Trump.

Let's say Trump gets one of those two passed and then Mueller comes out with enough evidence to impeach him (but not Pence). Would Democrats go for it? Remember that the alternative is Pence, who is both evil and competent.

Why are you trying to imagine an alternate reality where Trump isn't a terrible human being instead of simply recognizing Trump is a terrible human being. Stop trying to redeem his character through fan fiction.

wutwutwut

Why are you trying to imagine an alternate reality where Trump isn't a terrible human being instead of simply recognizing Trump is a terrible human being. Stop trying to redeem his character through fan fiction.
Oh he's a terrible human being in that reality too. Nothing I said is inconsistent with him being a terrible human being.

watershed

Banned
Oh he's a terrible human being in that reality too. Nothing I said is inconsistent with him being a terrible human being.
I don't like this tendency that has reared its head quite a few times on gaf where posters imagine a world where Trump is successful or where Trump is a secret democrat, or a mole, or isn't actually racist or sexist etc. To me it's a vein of extremely foolish thinking that blatantly ignores reality and also some kind of mangled attempt to imagine Donald Trump as a better person than he is. Your post reminded me of that tendency and I reacted to that.

wutwutwut

I don't like this tendency that has reared its head quite a few times on gaf where posters imagine a world where Trump is successful or where Trump is a secret democrat, or a mole, or isn't actually racist or sexist etc. To me it's a vein of extremely foolish thinking that blatantly ignores reality and also some kind of mangled attempt to imagine Donald Trump as a better person than he is. Your post reminded me of that tendency and I reacted to that.
I understand. I'm not making him any less racist or sexist in this reality.

Racist and sexist people can get good things done.

watershed

Banned
I understand. I'm not making him any less racist or sexist in this reality.

Racist and sexist people can get good things done.
And even then Trump has proven himself to be a terrible president completely devoid of leadership skills and no legislative victories worth a damn. You are free to have fun enjoying unrealistic hypotheticals but I am honestly slightly disturbed by this trend of people wanting to imagine Donald Trump as better than he has proven himself to be again and again.

I think it's more so hope that Trump could pass Democratic legislation to spite Ryan and McConnell. If Democrats can get Trump to pass things that benefit them then it should be considered a small victory. Given that it's Trump no one knows what he will do next. Perhaps it's all a ruse or perhaps Ryan and McConnell pissed him off for the last time. Might as well try to get some small victories in until Mueller is done with his investigation. The more he works together with Democrats; the more likely Republicans will come around to the idea of impeaching him.

I recall reading an article that Trump was miserable in mid-late summer. He seemed to dislike that he lost control of his own circus with everything that has happened from Comey's firing to Bannon's firing. He absolutely loved the drama and the circus because it got him the attention he craved. While Trump admin from Day 0 was off the rails. Post- Comey firing was watching a train wreck over and over and over.

Right now, I think it's more likely that Trump is acting like a teenager rebelling against Ryan and McConnell. Until I see more substantive legislature passed this is all meaningless drama. The type of drama that Trump thrives on and wanted to return to.

Why do they make you worry?
I'm guessing he is afraid that she may come across as an angry black woman. Granted I think she could effectively shut down Trump in debates and make him look like the fool he is.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I wouldn't care if Trump changed his whole shit and passed every single item on the Democratic agenda. I'd vote for literally any Democrat on earth instead of him even if it meant getting less of my personal agenda enacted.

If you gave me the personal power to replace that fictional Trump with a moderate R like Kasich I'd still do it without hesitation. Trump, on top of being a moron and complete sack of shit, continues to be an existential threat to this country and frankly the world. There aren't any policy issues more important than that.

kirblar

I'm guessing he is afraid that she may come across as an angry black woman. Granted I think she could effectively shut down Trump in debates and make him look like the fool he is.
nononononono

Its that there are things of Harris (social media not great, kinda stiff in public) that are reminiscent of some of Clinton's issues, and when we go "what wasn't working with Gore/Kerry/Clinton", the whole people skills/charm/etc. stuff is clearly important.

There's probably a dislike for Ben Shapiro on GAF, I'm not here to discuss his views or whatever. I'm here to ask for people's opinions because the dude is obviously Jewish and is open about it, so would this tweet by Tariq Nasheed be considered anti-semite? I would think so, but would want the opinion of other folks here.

https://twitter.com/tariqnasheed/status/908463507246522368

Suspected white supremacist Ben Shapiro, who tries to mask his racist rhetoric by claiming to be jewish, is in Berkeley now #BenAtBerkeley
7:52 PM - 14 Sep 2017

pigeon

Banned
There's probably a dislike for Ben Shapiro on GAF, I'm not here to discuss his views or whatever. I'm here to ask for people's opinions because the dude is obviously Jewish and is open about it, so would this tweet by Tariq Nasheed be considered anti-semite? I would think so, but would want the opinion of other folks here.

https://twitter.com/tariqnasheed/status/908463507246522368

I mean, I think it's pretty weird to say "claiming to be Jewish" instead of just "talking about being Jewish."

But with that substitution, no, it doesn't seem anti-Semitic to say that somebody is spreading racist rhetoric and saying "I can't be a white supremacist because I'm Jewish!"

wutwutwut

Your posts are giving me fish hook theory realness.
I hadn't heard of "fish hook theory" so I googled it. First few references are on the Chapo Trap House and FULLCOMMUNISM subreddits. So it's just leftists being stupid (Macron is now apparently far right).

wutwutwut

So the question is "would you want a Nazi (who ends up not doing too much damage because of his bumbling incompetence) to be impeached if they passed universal healthcare?"

What do you think?

(italics mine)

I'm a pretty firm utilitarian, so I think I'd think long and hard about it.

pigeon

Banned
(italics mine)

I'm a pretty firm utilitarian, so I think I'd think long and hard about it.

I think maybe you are for some reason not recognizing the non-legislative consequences of a Nazi being president.

(Hint: a woman was killed in a terrorist attack)

Pixieking

Banned

I am of the opinion that right now and for the foreseeable future there is no woman who can shut down Trump in a debate and not lose male voters. It's too close to playing the role of the nagging shrew, and since a lot of Trump voters associate themselves with him (cult of personality and all that), it's a losing proposition. I think his "nasty woman" attack is how a lot of white males feel about the women in their lives, and he'd just roll it out again.

Then again, I'm also of the opninion that Trump won't be the Republican candidate in 2020, so it's kind of irrelevant.

I think maybe you are for some reason not recognizing the non-legislative consequences of a Nazi being president.

*nods* Regardless of the policy upsides, it will wreck US politics if Trump isn't punished for his views, speech and actions. It would fully normalise a lot of things, and it wouldn't just be political or legislative norms that were changed for the worse.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Your posts are giving me fish hook theory realness.

You do realize that "fish hook theory" is literally a joke someone made that you apparently believed. Right?

That reminds me of something heartbreaking I read from '84.
In the first survey, taken Oct. 12-17, her favorable rating was 43 percent and her unfavorable rating 30. In a second poll taken Oct. 23-25, her favorable rating was down to 39 percent and her unfavorable rating up to 35.

That was Geraldine Ferraro. Some things haven't changed.
She's black, and she's a woman.
Don't be a twerp, and remember who your political allies are.
You do realize that "fish hook theory" is literally a joke someone made that you apparently believed. Right?
One time, I read a satirical Christian philosophical essay on how the United States satisfies the criteria for being a sentient being (as a criticism of materialism) but in the end I just ended up being convinced that the United States is sentient.
Those traits are where I worry about her as a hypothetical candidate.
Kirblar, ask your doctor to change your medication.

If Trump signs a DREAM Act that isn't to his credit. Give credit to the horrible Dems and their neoliberal shill rigged leadership. #Tim4minorityleader

kirblar

You know Bernie's social media sucked, too? But he was actually someone people believed in so he got a lot of grassroots organizing. Social media only works when it's coming from genuine supporters. You can't fake it.
I'm referring to her Twitter specifically where I see stuff that looks like someone just took a weeklong intro course on how to use social media and it comes off really clunky.

example:
Kamala Harris‏ @SenKamalaHarris Aug 31

Health care is a right. RT if you agree.

Sibylus

Banned

This isn't fun to imagine. No 2nd term for Cheeto Mussolini, no forestalling his doom either. We're swindling things out of him because we can't get rid of him yet.

wutwutwut

Yes, a woman died in a terrorist attack. But the number of lives UHC would save.

... Maybe I've been watching too much Chapelle.

Chichikov

I think Trump is uniquely unqualified to be president, removing him is in the national interest even if it make it more likely for the GOP to pass some shitty healthcare law (and I don't even think it does, since impeaching trump will break the Republican party).

She's black, and she's a woman.
no
lots of her stuff as AG of california. Trans rights, Lack of prosecution for fraud, overcrowding of prisons, courting donor class before really doing anything.

she seems to have garnered a lot of good will with single payer, but she is gonna have to explain some of those issues if she runs (she likely can)

So uh. There was a twitter rant like an hour ago. The contents are not worth discussing. Just wanted to say it happened, in case anyone cared to research the matter. Hell, I don't even know if these are still a daily thing! I've (perhaps wrongfully?) assumed that natural disasters had kept him quiet for a few weeks.

So uh. There was a twitter rant like an hour ago. The contents are not worth discussing. Just wanted to say it happened, in case anyone cared to research the matter. Hell, I don't even know if these are still a daily thing! I've (perhaps wrongfully?) assumed that natural disasters had kept him quiet for a few weeks.
They haven't been as common, but Trump's base is made at him because of the whole DACA thing so he's trying to remind them how much of a racist moron he can be.

sazzy

4lvhPuq.png

We're almost in the clear for a long time to come with ACA repeal. Let's not drop our guard now.

It's not like ACA repeal will just spring up out of thin air and pass in a surprise vote with no media coverage at all, so I don't really know what "being on our guard" means. You'd go nuts if you had to keep the possibility of an ACA repeal appearing in your mind at all times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom