• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT6| Made this thread during Harvey because the ratings would be higher

Status
Not open for further replies.
The precedent is set, you now need a senate majority to get a supreme court justice. This is the future McConnell has forced the country to abide by. If they take the majority in 2018, the Democrats will absolutely follow the same path.

I'm not sure a worse majority leader could have ever been picked. He shredded the integrity of the senate, and destroyed its reputation.

And this is mainly because I'd say a good % of the American people still have no idea what the Senate actually does.

To add, I have a feeling most SC's (the liberal ones anyway) care enough about the country to not step down and disrupt the balance of the court. They're probably more aware of the liberal/conservative balance on the court more so than any one of us here, so they know what's at stake if they step down.

And I'm sure Ginny is also encouraging the other moderate ones to stay. It doesn't matter if the conservative ones go.

Abortion I'm guessing.

He'd rather retire under Trump than wait for a democrat to come in and replace him with someone pro-choice.

Like I said ... he could very well retire. I have no clue. But why didn't he do that this year, then? Simply because of the redistricting case? He seems to care a lot about Gay rights too, which will absolutely come under fire if he's replaced by someone further right than him.

Maybe this year was a "feeler" year to see how insane this mother fucker is?

Maybe I'm just being hopeful. lol

Pyrokai

Like I said ... he could very well retire. I have no clue. But why didn't he do that this year, then? Simply because of the redistricting case? He seems to care a lot about Gay rights too, which will absolutely come under fire if he's replaced by someone further right than him.

Maybe this year was a "feeler" year to see how insane this mother fucker is?

Maybe I'm just being hopeful. lol

I'm hoping some of these Justices would want to protect their legacy as well. If Kennedy is replaced by someone who would, say, overturn marriage equality, it undermines his legacy of being the deciding vote to allow it.

studyguy

Paul, Murkowski, Collins still a no.
Their deadline is so fucking tight though, this is literally down to the wire. 2 weeks time and the house is in session for a total of 4 of those days.

Their deadline is so fucking tight though, this is literally down to the wire. 2 weeks time and the house is in session for a total of 4 of those days.

Yeah, this would have to go back to the house for approval anyway if by some miracle it beat the Senate. The FC ain't voting for this shit.

Kusagari

I don't believe a single thing Rand says, which is the worrying part here with McCain signing on.

Some red state Demmycrats news (it's not very substantial, more gossipy, but take it how you will):

Article about how the Mississippi GOP is looking for alternative primary candidates to Lt Gov Tate Reeves, the frontrunner for the governor's race (which is in Nov 2019). They're concerned he'll be beaten by Democratic frontrunner Attorney General Jim Hood, the only elected Democrat to a statewide office, and there's supposedly a poll going around showing Hood in the lead.

Democrats want to make a run for the Senate elections in Tennessee, Texas, and the special election in Alabama. Republicans are worried that if Moore wins the GOP nomination in Alabama, Doug Jones (D) might have a shot. The challenges for O'Rourke are well-known, but I find it interesting Schumer seems so fixed on Tennessee. Maybe they're seeing something in internal polling that we're not privy to. It's mostly Dem cheerleading, but it's not as if we have any other better options for actually winning the Senate back next year.

Technically speaking ... Wouldn't McCain be against this if they try to ram it through with the same tactics? You know, like not bringing it up for debate and not opening it up for amendments? It's not like he hated the last Skinny Repeal bill, just the traditional processes that were abandoned along the way.

Technically speaking ... Wouldn't McCain be against this if they try to ram it through with the same tactics? You know, like not bringing it up for debate and not opening it up for amendments? It's not like he hated the last Skinny Repeal bill, just the traditional processes that were abandoned along the way.

If he and Graham weren’t attached at the hip, sure.

Teggy

McCain said he was for if it went through proper hearings and committees. So he _should_ be against this, but who knows.

McMaster Defends Trump Speculating On London Subway Bombing

Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump

Another attack in London by a loser terrorist.These are sick and demented people who were in the sights of Scotland Yard. Must be proactive!

Asked about the tweet, British Prime Minister Theresa said, “I never think it’s helpful for anybody to speculate on what is an ongoing investigation.”

“Did the President share information that he was not supposed to? If not, why was he speculating?” a reporter asked McMaster at a press briefing Friday.

“I think what the President was communicating is that, obviously, all of our law enforcement efforts are focused on this terrorist threat, for years,” McMaster said. “Scotland Yard has been a leader, as our FBI has been a leader.”

“So, I think if there was a terrorist attack here, god forbid, that we would say that they were in the sights of the FBI,” he said. “So I think didn’t mean anything beyond that.”

studyguy

I'd sooner expect McCain to fold, pinning your bets on GOP to keep to their word when the entire party is pressuring them seems iffy at best. All the same, they'll have to literally railroad hard this to get it done in time, they're literally on a razor wire for time.

So Sanders broke the law when she suggested the ESPN anchor be fired?

DJw1xYUWsAAE96i.jpg:large

And I guess Trump is too? lol

It does say it applies to the President, VP, and employees of executive branch as defined by section 2105 of title 5 (which I didn't check).

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I'm still flabbergasted they're trying to push this through. This is a no-win situation for republicans at this point.

Option 1: They fail to get it done in time/pass it/get it past Byrd rules/etc. Some of their base hates them, but most are fine because like 80% of Americans hated their last bill, and this is just as bad if not worse if you look at the list I posted yesterday.

Option 2: They cram the bill through in time, pass it, and a small portion of their base likes it but nearly everyone else hates them because it gives them worse healthcare and causes premiums to spike. It also hits people hard BEFORE the next election.

Man Gillibrand is a scarily competent politician.

That spin on PSA about her past positions on immigration was whooo boy.

I'll take it. Hillary had a year to come up with a good answer for the emails thing and still failed miserably both during and after the debates.

Owzers

What an absolutely pathetic spin attempt.
Good luck keeping your dignity working for Trump.

CNN just now...trump supporter defending trump against espn by saying he thinks he isn't a white supremacist because he kisses black babies. That's really where things are.

I'm still flabbergasted they're trying to push this through. This is a no-win situation for republicans at this point.

Option 1: They fail to get it done in time/pass it/get it past Byrd rules/etc. Some of their base hates them, but most are fine because like 80% of Americans hated their last bill, and this is just as bad if not worse if you look at the list I posted yesterday.

Option 2: They cram the bill through in time, pass it, and a small portion of their base likes it but nearly everyone else hates them because it gives them worse healthcare and causes premiums to spike. It also hits people hard BEFORE the next election.

Option 3: IT comes up to a vote and McCain gives turtle the death stare and a thumbs down for not following proper senate procedure, again.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Option 3: IT comes up to a vote and McCain gives turtle the death stare and a thumbs down for not following proper senate procedure, again.

I'd take that. I currently vote that the moment of the year in politics.

In the play about Wellstone I did we had Paul give the thumb's down when he voted No on going to war in Iraq. Biggest applause moment of the show, every night.

That's going to be one of the defining images of Trump's presidency, assuming they don't get an actual repeal bill through at the last second.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
My broke Kenyan Muslim Uber driver grudgingly admitted that Trump doesn't care about the little guy but lit up with admiration and a little awe as he explained that the best antidote to a Trump presidency would be...

Trey Gowdy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom