• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT6| Made this thread during Harvey because the ratings would be higher

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blader

Man Gillibrand is a scarily competent politician.

That spin on PSA about her past positions on immigration was whooo boy.

I don't know why people keep spinning this as...spin. It's perfectly normal to evolve on an issue as you learn more about it and become exposed to it firsthand. Everyone does it. I've done it on a number of issues!

Or is the idea that she actually hates immigrants and is only pretending to support them to win support?

kirblar

I don't know why people keep spinning this as...spin. It's perfectly normal to evolve on an issue as you learn more about it and become exposed to it firsthand. Or is the idea that she actually hates immigrants and is only pretending to support them to win support?
No no, the opposite. The story she tells here is basically the exact same story she tells on Gun Control, getting more liberal/less conservative when she moved from a rural district to Sen-NY.

Also, because she was Connie Britton's roommate when they were both Dartmouth undergrads studying in China. It's...not really the background of someone who'd be staunchly anti-immigrant.

That the story sounds so good, so believable, is why we're saying she's really good at this.

Option 3: IT comes up to a vote and McCain gives turtle the death stare and a thumbs down for not following proper senate procedure, again.

Doubt it, it's Graham's bill

I'd take that. I currently vote that the moment of the year in politics.

I remember the thread about it where they were trying to push it through, and rumblings started happening of McCain starting some static

I started joking about how IT'S THE MAVERICK and then he just shivs turtle right in the chest

Doubt it, it's Graham's bill

Why make the stink in the first place if you're going to just allow it the next? They don't have to accept democratic amendments and a debate isn't going to make that shit sandwich and less or more popular. You would get McCain on board and might even get Paul on board if he can get an amendment in or something.

studyguy

So FB, Google & Twitter have now been found to be allowing adverts target people who just like what is literally racial slurs it seems. One confirmed after the other. Not even dogwhistle kind of stuff, straight up slurs about blacks, jewish and lgbtq being the keywords to bump adverts towards people.

Loxley

My broke Kenyan Muslim Uber driver grudgingly admitted that Trump doesn't care about the little guy but lit up with admiration and a little awe as he explained that the best antidote to a Trump presidency would be...

Trey Gowdy.

I threw up in my mouth.

Slacker

From Scott Dwirkin (Dem Coalition founder):

"Get ready for a #TrumpRussia bombshell tomorrow-may be the biggest piece of evidence I've uncovered to date. It's on Donald Trump. #AMJoy"

Proceed to get worked up accordingly.

My broke Kenyan Muslim Uber driver grudgingly admitted that Trump doesn't care about the little guy but lit up with admiration and a little awe as he explained that the best antidote to a Trump presidency would be...

Trey Gowdy.
I've known people from that part of the world who liked American conservatism for the homophobia and sexism. Granted they were evangelicals, but did you get a sense that social conservatism was his starting point?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I've known people from that part of the world who liked American conservatism for the homophobia and sexism. Granted they were evangelicals, but did you get a sense that social conservatism was his starting point?

Yep this was half his deal and the rest was Benghazi. I asked him to explain to me what happened in Benghazi and he said Hillary sent a political rival to work there and then arranged his death by hiring fake extremists who were actually ex navy seals.

"Get ready for a #TrumpRussia bombshell tomorrow-may be the biggest piece of evidence I've uncovered to date. It's on Donald Trump. #AMJoy"

If it's so big they would just drop it. No need to announce.

The same Scott Dworkin who wrote this in June?:
Scott Dworkin ✔ @funder
#Breaking:Speaker Paul Ryan was just reported to the FBI for fraud & obstructing the #TrumpRussia investigations.

I'll try to contain my excitement.

Stinkles

If it's connected to his weirdly public offloading of Russian responsibility to his Secretary of State then I think I know what it is.

But dworkin has nothing to do with it.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
So Sanders broke the law when she suggested the ESPN anchor be fired?

DJw1xYUWsAAE96i.jpg:large

And I guess Trump is too? lol

It does say it applies to the President, VP, and employees of executive branch as defined by section 2105 of title 5 (which I didn't check).
Someone should straight up cite this to her during the next press conference.

PBY

Banned

Yawn.

Drop it and then lets talk. I hate this tease shit.

Stinkles

Yawn.

Drop it and then lets talk. I hate this tease shit.

A lot of tease- mensch, dworkin etc is nonsense hype. Some of it "tick tick " is actually investigation method and planned.

Make subject pay attention
Make subject nervous
Make subject make predicted calls and communications that are being tracked
Make subject more responsive to contact from investigation

Meanwhile in Bizarro world:

Former White House chief strategist and current Breitbart News Executive Chairman Stephen Bannon is scheduled to speak at a black entrepreneurs summit in Washington, D.C., later this month.

Bannon, who resigned as one of President Trump's closest advisers on Aug. 18, will speak at an economic policy summit for the Super PAC "Black Americans For A Better Future," according to the invitation first flagged by HuffPost.

http://thehill.com/media/350908-bannon-slated-to-speak-at-black-entrepreneurs-summit

Maledict

So FB, Google & Twitter have now been found to be allowing adverts target people who just like what is literally racial slurs it seems. One confirmed after the other. Not even dogwhistle kind of stuff, straight up slurs about blacks, jewish and lgbtq being the keywords to bump adverts towards people.

The question that's actually important is whether anyone used those terms.

They were all generated from what users are posting and searching for. It wasn't like staff at those companies were sitting down and writing these out by hand. Their algorithms will sell you anything based on any combinations of valid searches.

What we need to know is if anyone ever used anything like that. Like say a particular political campaign...

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Serious question: When has any story that has been teased by the reporter ever turned out to be good?

studyguy

A lot of tease- mensch, dworkin etc is nonsense hype. Some of it "tick tick " is actually investigation method and planned.

Make subject pay attention
Make subject nervous
Make subject make predicted calls and communications that are being tracked
Make subject more responsive to contact from investigation

I've been wondering that myself. Recently, we've gotten article after article redescribing some of these players with one new nugget of info then a *BOOM*

It's like a largish number of reporters know something about something, knows it'll happen in the vague near-future, and want to both catch people up on the events and actors in it while also not going out on a limb on a prediction since everything's so fluid.

chadskin

Trump yesterday: Rick Scott should run for Senate

CBS Miami today: https://twitter.com/defede/status/908787293883895810
1/2 BREAKING: @CBSMiami has learned that in the 36 hours before the first death at the Hollywood nursing home @FLGovScott was called...

2/2 ...three times by nursing home officials saying they needed "immediate assistance."

Nursing home called a special cell phone number @FLGovScott gave out to healthcare execs that they should call with any problems @CBSMiami

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

He also said coverage losses that will likely be found by the CBO for his bill would be wrong. The office's analysis puts too much importance on the effect of repealing ObamaCare's mandate to have coverage, he said.

"I just don’t care about the coverage numbers because their methodology has been proven to be wrong," Cassidy said.

Hilarious. "Hey, CBO? Can you put this on a fast track so we can discard your findings as useless, please?"

Diablos

So much for that bipartisan healthcare meeting eh?

Might as well accept that something will happen eventually. If not this year, then next. They'll try it for every year that they have the House, Senate and WH. It's tiring.

studyguy

You probably shouldn't give people a direct emergency line with promises of help if you aren't going to act on it...
Just left those nursing homes hanging in the wind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom