• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT6| Made this thread during Harvey because the ratings would be higher

Status
Not open for further replies.
The first four states are all small enough to allow candidates with less name recognition to have a chance and each represent a different part of the country, you can mess with the order if you want I guess but I think it's otherwise a good set up.

That wasn't a fun fact. Where was the fun.

Cook PVI for Iowa is R+3, same as NC and Ohio.

Congressional seems irrelevant for a statewide election.

Also it's tiny, too white, and full if stupid shit like aforementioned pie eating fair bullshit.
And also it's Iowa.

NH can at least claim being Even in the Cook PVI. But it's still tiny and white.

Retail politics is dumb.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
The first four states are all small enough to allow candidates with less name recognition to have a chance and each represent a different part of the country, you can mess with the order if you want I guess but I think it's otherwise a good set up.

There's other small states that could go first, the first two specifically need to be way more diverse.

Eh, the first four states don't all need to be on separate days. A bunch of lower population states shouldn't be the only ones on the schedule for a month. And then super Tuesday being dominated by the South isn't great either. The Midwest and Mid-Atlantic need to be moved up earlier. Have the earlier schedule have more diverse states on it.

jtb

Banned
The need to stagger the primary states has never felt less relevant. The winners of Iowa and NH are going to pour enormous amounts of money into the state regardless, with obscenely diminishing returns. It's just so pointless. Can't we just have like 4 or 5 primary dates with 10 states on each date?

Illinois%20perfect%20state%20for%20rep%20says%20NPR%202-2-16.png

What the top ten should be in failing NPR's table.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Ugh. The primaries should be regional groups of states that get their order randomly rotated per cycle.

Basically there should be like 5-6 super tuesdays and that’s it.

The need to stagger the primary states has never felt less relevant. The winners of Iowa and NH are going to pour enormous amounts of money into the state regardless, with obscenely diminishing returns. It's just so pointless. Can't we just have like 4 or 5 primary dates with 10 states on each date?

Yep. Have 4 or 5 dates each with a bunch of states of various geographical and demographic backgrounds and we'd be good. The problem with the schedule isn't that Iowa or NH or Nevada are bad states, but that single states are bad determiners.

Teggy

One can only hope someone will be able to cut through all the lies trump is pushing on the tax deal (estate tax, highest taxes in the world). If people think they are getting money they’ll just buy in.

Ogodei

My plan would be to have four states for four regional previews. Then after that you have each region vote as a block two weeks apart.

So:

Last Tuesday in January: Iowa
1 week later, early February: New Hampshire
1 week later, mid February: South Carolina
1 week later, late February: Nevada

First Tuesday in March, Midwest votes as a block (From the Dakotas, Nebraska, and Kansas as far east as Ohio with Kentucky as the southern line)

Second Tuesday in March, "Northeast" goes, as far south as Virginia and West Virginia.

Third Tuesday, the "South," as in the ex-Confederacy plus Oklahoma and minus Virginia, also including Puerto Rico and Virgin Islands.

Last Tuesday in March is all the rest, the West and Pacific colonies.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I don't have the clip with me, but Art Laffer was on some show and said that cutting the top tax rates to 15% will not only pay for itself, but the government will get EXCESS of $1.5 TRILLION.

How do these fuckers lie so shamelessly about this shit? Especially after what happened with Kansas.

Emarv

Didn't Trump already concede today that they're abandoning 15% for 20% because they couldn't make the numbers even close to work?

The messaging over tax reform is bound to be as messy and duplicitous as healthcare was.

Why does Iowa still need to go first, lol?

South Carolina isn't important because it's in the former confederacy, it's because it's the first proper chance for one of the most important Dem constituency - black people, particularly black women - to have their say instead of just white farmers.

Basically the first four right now are:
Super white tiny state with weird retail politics rituals.
Super white tiny state that doesn't match the US national electorate at all, but is a swing.
Red state that gives black people the first major say in nomination.
Western state with a stupid caucus system, one particularly strong union, lots of migration that makes polling difficult, but the first proper say for Latino voters.

In Canada, we're not allowed to deduct our mortgage interest on our taxes. But there is a little known way to get around this that Americans may want to adopt (if Trump eliminates this deduction) that some Canadians utilize - myself included - called The Smith Manoeuvre. It's based on the principle that when you invest with borrowed money, the interest accrued on the borrowed money is tax deductible.

Wilsongt

I wonder if Fox News has Russian operatives doing shit, because that's about as propaganda-y as you can get.

Someone call Sean, and check his finances.

Just got a robocall from Senator Dean Heller telling me he'll have a Town Hall Meeting with his constitutes... over teleconference. 😂

Just got a robocall from Senator Dean Heller telling me he'll have a Town Hall Meeting with his constitutes... over teleconference. ��
PREVIEW:
"Senator Heller why are you such a fuckwad?"
"What's that I can't hear you I'm... going through a tunnel. Speak to you later, constituents!"

In Georgia, Isaakson and Perdue only do that teleconference shit every time.

2018 ain't gonna fly with that shit, if only against your primary opponents.

Ogodei

Why does Iowa still need to go first, lol?

South Carolina isn't important because it's in the former confederacy, it's because it's the first proper chance for one of the most important Dem constituency - black people, particularly black women - to have their say instead of just white farmers.

Basically the first four right now are:
Super white tiny state with weird retail politics rituals.
Super white tiny state that doesn't match the US national electorate at all, but is a swing.
Red state that gives black people the first major say in nomination.
Western state with a stupid caucus system, one particularly strong union, lots of migration that makes polling difficult, but the first proper say for Latino voters.

All four are small-ish states, regionally diverse, and two of them are heavy on different minority groups.

I'd do away with caucuses in my dream system at any rate.

Small markets are important because it equalizes people with good ground games versus people who can just swing a lot of money around.

pigeon

Banned
I feel like people are operating on another form of smart people delusion here when they assume that there must be some good reason for Iowa to be the first primary.

There is no good reason, our system is random, and it literally caused us to develop an ethanol policy that is bad both for car efficiency and the environment.

Stop making Iowa first!

I don't know if Iowa should be first but I like having four states at the beginning with enough time for candidates to operate in smaller settings and cover the most ground possible and talk to everybody before Super Tuesday comes and it just isn't possible to visit everywhere anymore

Iowa, NH, Nevada and SC as those works because it touches base with the Midwest, North East, South and West

But I suppose you could select different states from each of those four areas every election

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Some form of rotating schedule order is the way primaries should go. No good reason to make Iowa always first, but one big national primary is too much.

The geographies are irrelevant compared to the demographies though. Who cares if a state is Midwestern or Northeastern if the actual primary voters aren't representative of the winning voter coalition and/or a useful barometer for future electoral viability.

Ogodei

The geographies are irrelevant compared to the demographies though. Who cares if a state is Midwestern or Northeastern if the actual primary voters aren't representative of the winning voter coalition and/or a useful barometer for future electoral viability.

Maybe a different primary setup per party, then? Start with states that represent different factions of different parties, for each party?

Then you have something like Nevada, South Carolina, Rhode Island as the preview states for the Democrats and, idk, West Virginia, Louisiana, and Idaho for the GOP?

kirblar

Yup. This is why Iowa plus NH is so awful.

chadskin

The Senate Intelligence Committee has issued a request for Facebook to testify in an open hearing to examine how foreign actors may have used social media companies to influence the 2016 election, The Hill has learned.

Committee leaders have also invited Twitter and Google to testify at the hearing set for Nov. 1, according to a source familiar with the matter.
Senate Intelligence Committee Chairman Richard Burr (R-N.C.) declined to comment on plans for the hearing when asked by reporters, saying only the committee planned to hold a news conference next week to ”bring everybody up to date on the investigation."
http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/352743-senate-panel-invites-facebook-to-testify

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom