• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT6| Made this thread during Harvey because the ratings would be higher

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teggy

Eh, seems like a dumb mistake to me. Just think it's more likely he was referring to Cochran who was away for urological issues right then than he was imagining McCain or something.

It’s not just a dumb mistake because he’s said this 10-20 Times to various reporters, and even if he was in the hospital it has no actual impact on the bill passing. It’s a deliberate lie.

Blader

It's not just a dumb mistake because he's said this 10-20 Times to various reporters, and even if he was in the hospital it has no actual impact on the bill passing. It's a deliberate lie.

Ok, so it's a lie. Whatever! I'm just saying I think the senator he is referring to/lying about is Cochran, not some imaginary scenario of a hospitalized McCain that his deteriorating brain cooked up.

Cochran lying in the hospital would have an impact on the bill passing, though, because that's literally one less vote!

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
The issue I have with Trump isn't the "guy in hospital" thing. It's the blatant lie that they "have the votes." If you had them, you'd have had a vote this week.

Either way, keep trying right up until midterms. The American public needs constant reminder that republicans only care about the rich.

Teggy

Ok, so it's a lie. Whatever! I'm just saying I think the senator he is referring to/lying about is Cochran, not some imaginary scenario of a hospitalized McCain that his deteriorating brain cooked up.

Cochran lying in the hospital would have an impact on the bill passing, though, because that's literally one less vote!

It’s not one less vote if they don’t have 50 votes. It’s immaterial. He’s selling this like healthcare would pass if only this one guy wasn’t in the hospital. It’s an easily disproven lie he’s trying to sell to his base.

NeoXChaos

His stink? It's almost like liberals forgot who is president right now. I'm all for supporting Jones, even though he won't win. But this idea that Moore is some extremist and voters could be turned off in Alabama strikes me as not only weird, but just the type of non-local, out-of-state hand wringing that leads democrats to get stuff like this wrong. Politics is local. I understand that people on Vox or Buzzfeed may be stunned/disgusted at someone saying Newtown was God's punishment, but go hang around some deeply religious people in the south and you'll find that type of ideology is widespread. And Moore is a hero to those people.

agreed. You put Moore in other southern states such as Oklahoma, Louisiana, Texas, North Carolina, Mississippi, Georgia, South Carolina, Tennessee, Kentucky, & West Virginia he still wins easy.

Tamanon

Banned
I'd stop trying to rationalize. He finds a story, sticks to it, never thinks about that he's actually lying.

He did have a yes vote in the hospital, but he didn't have 50 yes votes anyways, so it's all just a sham.

His stink? It's almost like liberals forgot who is president right now. I'm all for supporting Jones, even though he won't win. But this idea that Moore is some extremist and voters could be turned off in Alabama strikes me as not only weird, but just the type of non-local, out-of-state hand wringing that leads democrats to get stuff like this wrong. Politics is local. I understand that people on Vox or Buzzfeed may be stunned/disgusted at someone saying Newtown was God's punishment, but go hang around some deeply religious people in the south and you'll find that type of ideology is widespread. And Moore is a hero to those people.
Eh, I mean this is true, but peoples' patience for this does end somewhere. John Bel Edwards won in Louisiana in 2015 because his opponent was a sleazeball. Moore himself barely won his Supreme Court seat in 2012 52-48 because he's nuts.

Now, these are both state government races, and obviously Moore did win, so there's that to be considered. I'm not going to pretend Jones is anything other than a supreme underdog with a maybe 5% chance of winning, but Democrats should absolutely capitalize on his nuttiness. Like, framed in a way that's palatable to Alabamans, of course.

The Iowa state fair on a presidential election year is a sight to behold. I've been there in 2007 and that shit is bananas.
You need to see it before you die, plan to it like it's an eclipse.

I also ate a fried stick of butter. It was a good trip. I regret nothing.
I dont like navigating through a mass of people as it is so no way I'm wading through a mass of humans all converged in one location for the sole purpose of watching candidates attempting to behave normally. And failing.

Its a silly pageantry that means absolutely nothing in the grand scheme of things as far as politics are concerned. Michelle Bachmann won the straw poll (lol) and Rick Perry is never going to live down thirsty pictures of him gobbling corndogs.

Even if we lose by 5%, that would be quite the race.

Of course, if we lose by 5% (in ALABAMA) we'll have to deal with the usual "if we couldn't win this race, 2018 is doomed" "the Democrats are useless" "we would have won if the Democrats weren't slaves to the rich" "the only thing that matters is winning, the margin is useless" "when are the Democrats going to start winning?" "if they supported my pet issue, they'd win" and other "greatest hits" from threads about races we have no business even getting close in.

From Laura Litvan on Twitter:

NEW: Senate Health Chair Lamar Alexander says a bipartisan deal to stabilize Obamacare’s insurance exchanges could come as early as tonight

It’s almost as if the only thing that was standing in the way of a bi-partisan deal was the yet another partisan push to repeal Obamacare.

Moore would be an Akin or Mourdock in another state, but Alabama is just too red.

I'm kind of curious, why are these southern states with large African American populations hard red?

Alabama is 30% black. This is a larger percent than New York State (by over 10%). Mississippi is 37%, even more.

These old slave states have huge black populations. Do they not vote?

I'm kind of curious, why are these southern states with large African American populations hard red?

Alabama is 30% black. This is a larger percent than New York State (by over 10%). Mississippi is 37%.

Probably a mix of institutional racism establishing impediments for minority voting and the 70% white population goes full racist in the voting booth.

JP_

Banned
I think his argument was that nationalizing the race would help party perceptions "everywhere," not just in Alabama.

It’s almost as if the only thing that was standing in the way of a bi-partisan deal was the yet another partisan push to repeal Obamacare.
Lol. Remember when the GOP talking point was that Bernie's single-payer proposal proved that Democrats weren't serious about a bipartisan deal?

giphy.gif

Alabama is 30% black. This is a larger percent than New York State (by over 10%). Mississippi is 37%, even more.

Because the white people there are racially radicalized. I saw a study back in the early 2000s comparing east TN whites (moderately red at the time, few blacks) vs Memphis whites (blood red, tons of blacks). Unfortunately lots of whites across America have moved toward racislly radicalized Deep South white political views since then.

Likely because parties are mostly split racially. I say most of the black population is Democrat while most of the white population is Republican. Plus, voter suppression.

Blader

I mean, wouldn't old slave states have more determinedly racist white populations too?

because white voters go for Republicans in those states almost as hard as black voters go for Democrats, and there are more of them

Vixdean

This conservative think tank reps who come on cable news are such obviously disingenuous fucks. They talk about jobs and the middle class, but all they preach is the same debunked trickle down bullshit that everyone knows doesn't do a damn thing except make rich people richer.

This conservative think tank reps who come on cable news are such obviously disingenuous fucks. They talk about jobs and the middle class, but all they preach is the same debunked trickle down bullshit that everyone knows doesn't do a damn thing except make rich people richer.

Everyone except for Republican voters.

Just to be clear, Trump wouldn't be firing Price over the private planes, as if he gave a shit about that. He just wants petty revenge over the Healthcare bill.

Voter suppression (including felony charges) and a historically bad level of political organization. Organizing the south is like the Holy Grail of leftist political goals, it just never gets done. Has a lot to do with just how institutional the suppression and racism is down there. Plus the fact that if you're living in poverty, as many minorities are in the south, it doesn't really matter who is president. That's part of the reason Trump was so successful: convincing poor whites who never vote (for the same reason) that he's different.

MLK was assassinated shortly after he began really focusing on organizing the south through the Poor People's Campaign.

NeoXChaos

Even a maxed out AA vote can only get you so far down here. That gives you maybe 37-38% of the vote with the 10-17% white Democratic vote thrown in to a ceiling of 40-44%. Less room for error in less AA states like KY, TN etc.

What keeps Democrats competitive in states like MA which only has maybe 8.1% AA is they win the majority of whites or like in IL a large plurality or majority with the AA population.

In 90%+ white states like IA, WY, KS, VT etc when you win the white vote your winning the state since there are hardly any minorities there. Democrats likely lose the white vote in the majority of the U.S come to think of it.

Voter suppression (including felony charges) and a historically bad level of political organization. Organizing the south is like the Holy Grail of leftist political goals, it just never gets done. Has a lot to do with just how institutional the suppression and racism is down there. Plus the fact that if you're living in poverty, as many minorities are in the south, it doesn't really matter who is president. That's part of the reason Trump was so successful: convincing poor whites who never vote (for the same reason) that he's different.

MLK was assassinated shortly after he began really focusing on organizing the south through the Poor People's Campaign.
All very true. Also the historic lack of unionization plays a role that made, for example, coal country hold out longer against the Southernizing of white America.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
So Cohn can’t even guarantee the tax plan won’t raise taxes on the middle class. Good luck with that.

Likely because parties are mostly split racially. I say most of the black population is Democrat while most of the white population is Republican. Plus, voter suppression.

This is why Mississippi is by some measures the least elastic state in the nation. It is incredibly hard to move votes there, which gives Democrats a relatively high floor but also a low ceiling.

Ogodei

agreed. You put Moore in other southern states such as Oklahoma, Louisiana, Texas, North Carolina, Mississippi, Georgia, South Carolina, Tennessee, Kentucky, & West Virginia he still wins easy.

Moore couldn't pull off North Carolina or Georgia. Maybe not even South Carolina or Louisiana.

He's a special kind of nut reserved for only the most ruby-red of states.

I could've swore last week that they said a bipartisan deal was dead because there was no area they could compromise on.

Kusagari

To give an idea of how racially polarized Alabama and Mississippi are:

Obama won 10 and 11% of the white vote respectively in them.

Ecotic

Basically the larger the percentage of black population a state has, the worse Democrats do with the white population. It's not a perfect correlation, but you really only see white states going heavily Democratic when the black population is low or non-existant, like Vermont or Oregon. Whites in America are less and less interested in synergistic economic plans and safety nets when it's not their own people that will be helped.

The less white America gets in the future, the less I expect whites to vote Democratic. Any gains from a rising minority population may well be completely offset by losing white votes.

Basically the larger the percentage of black population a state has, the worse Democrats do with the white population. It's not a perfect correlation, but you really only see white states going heavily Democratic when the black population is low or non-existant, like Vermont or Oregon. Whites in America are less and less interested in synergistic economic plans and safety nets when it's not their own people that will be helped.

The less white America gets in the future, the less I expect whites to vote Democratic. Any gains from a rising minority population may well be completely offset by losing white votes.

Eh, Maryland and Jersey are still heavily Dem with a good clip of whites who vote Dem and Wyoming is staunchly GOP despite having no black people.

I agree with the general principle of your post but think it's more complicated.

dramatis

What's the best charity to give to to help Puerto Rico? Facebook auto filled for Friends of Puerto Rico but I wanted to be sure.
The Hispanic Federation, the mayor of NYC, and other elected officials have set up a fund called Unidos that has 100% of its donations going to hurricane relief in Puerto Rico:

http://hispanicfederation.org/media/press_releases/a_hurricane_relief_fund_for_hurricane_maria_victims_in_puerto_rico/

I apologize for any link problems, I'm on mobile.
I seen somebody recommend United for Puerto Rico yesterday. It's headed by the First Lady of Puerto Rico.

http://unidosporpuertorico.com/en/
I donated to JJ Barea's campaign.

https://www.youcaring.com/familiesaffectedbyhurricanemariainpuertorico-956792

He's been flying down supplies in Mark Cuban's plane.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom