• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT6| Made this thread during Harvey because the ratings would be higher

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbm24

I'm sure I'm lttp, but it's interesting looking at the Gallup daily tracker.

At the end of last week, Trump hit a 3-month high and actually got to 40% for the first time since June with 40/54. Then his NFL comments happened and in just 4 days his numbers have swing 9 points in the opposite direction at 36/59. He's almost back to the doldrums of August pre-hurricanes.

What I don't understand is that Trump could have rode the momentum of his recently improved poll numbers for longer but he chose to go on a cultural war which he has continued to push all week. It's like he couldn't stand the possibility that Steve Bannon was claiming to be the leader of his base, so he had to prove he's actually the bigger asshole to minorities.

Only a matter of time before the Atlantic got in on the Friday scoops. Probably social media related, since a lot of the controlled leaks have been about that this week.

Emarv

Lol I got that. But are they trust worth or just blowing smoke?

She was one of the people hinting at the dossier during that election period. Her focus is on foreign relations, namely Russia. And since Russia now has been revealed to have had their hands in almost everything, this could be about literally anything.

At the end of last week, Trump hit a 3-month high and actually got to 40% for the first time since June with 40/54. Then his NFL comments happened and in just 4 days his numbers have swing 9 points in the opposite direction at 36/59. He's almost back to the doldrums of August pre-hurricanes.

What I don't understand is that Trump could have rode the momentum of his recently improved poll numbers for longer but he chose to go on a cultural war which he has continued to push all week. It's like he couldn't stand the possibility that Steve Bannon was claiming to be the leader of his base, so he had to prove he's actually the bigger asshole to minorities.

Yup.

Ernest

Banned
These oppos haven't done jack shit. His supporters never hear of them, and no one who matters seems to care. Heck, I can't even recall half of them, and I posted a ton of them!
This will be more of the same. It'll be something shitty Trump and/or one of his cronies did, we'll get all pissed, he'll tweet some bullshit and we'll go back to the same fucking song and dance with nothing of consequence actually happening. You can set your watch to this shit by now.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
These oppos haven't done jack shit. His supporters never hear of them, and no one who matters seems to care. Heck, I can't even recall half of them, and I posted a ton of them!
This will be more of the same. It'll be something shitty Trump and/or one of his cronies did, we'll get all pissed, he'll tweet some bullshit and we'll go back to the same fucking song and dance with nothing of consequence actually happening. You can set your watch to this shit by now.

It took like two years to take down Nixon, this shit takes time.

Each oppo is another piece of a larger puzzle. I don't think there's going to be any one magic story that takes him down (because let's be honest: his supporters control the GOP **AND** they refuse to believe he is ever, ever wrong on any topic ever), so frankly it's a matter of getting enough out there that makes it clear he did something so terrible that it's unforgivable for most sane humans.

Like B-Dubs said, it will take time. If not for John Dean basically going to Congress with the receipts, Nixon would have had an easier time stopping the bleeding. We don't have our Dean moment yet, where someone turns on Trump and Co. with the receipts.

Trump thinks he can play to both his base and the general public. He can't help but try to play the field, which pisses most people off.

His approval over the course of his presidency disproves this. And that low approval is why the GOP hasn't passed a thing worth mentioning.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
I seriously just can't keep doing this "tick tick boom" shit. Just wake me up when Trump isn't President anymore.
boogiewoogie 5000 Years later
giphy.gif

WTF is this fascist shit?!

DOJ demands Facebook information from 'anti-administration activists'

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2017/09/28/politics/facebook-anti-administration-activists/index.html

When party is your country and everyone outside your party are just enemy combatants who invaded your home. It's only a matter of time when hatred against the other side will come to things like this leading to actual actions. If you have followed the news and talking points, a lot for past how many years has been based upon "the other side is coming for you". So people will cheer because government is finally taking action against this threat.

smh

edit--
Just to emphasise my point: Trump did not do this. We are on the way to the logical conclusion of everything that has been happening for years, maybe even tens of years. At most he is taking advantage of an opening that has been created.

Each oppo is another piece of a larger puzzle. I don't think there's going to be any one magic story that takes him down (because let's be honest: his supporters control the GOP **AND** they refuse to believe he is ever, ever wrong on any topic ever), so frankly it's a matter of getting enough out there that makes it clear he did something so terrible that it's unforgivable for most sane humans.

Again, can we stop calling investigative journalism "oppo"? It just feeds into the narrative that the media's (or MSM's) sole purpose is to provide opposition research for liberals and can't be trusted.

I'm going to keep harping on this until PoliGAF finds a better term. Not only is it a misleading term but some of you actually act like it's oppo, waiting for it to be released at the perfect hour for maximum effect. WaPo and NYT aren't your personal Wikileaks.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
What do y'all think of Jordan Klepper's new show? He was my favorite correspondent from TDL after Oliver, Bee and Jason Jones left.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Again, can we stop calling investigative journalism "oppo"? It just feeds into the narrative that the media's (or MSM's) sole purpose is to provide opposition research for liberals and can't be trusted.

I'm going to keep harping on this until PoliGAF finds a better term. Not only is it a misleading term but some of you actually act like it's oppo, waiting for it to be released at the perfect hour for maximum effect. WaPo and NYT aren't your personal Wikileaks.

Wah

It’s shorthand and rhymes with droppo. Of all the problems here, is the term oppo influencing people’s perceptions of the mainstream media really one of them?

The point of these stories isn’t really that anything will happen after they drop. They’re windows into an ongoing investigation, with a prosecutor who can indict virtually anyone, that would otherwise be opaque. Not to mention these stories have given investigators entirely new evidence as well (e.g. Don Jr.’s emails, Comey’s notes).

Wilsongt

Investigoppo!

Happy?

I think Anti administration activites is the closest they could get to the "UN American activities committee" they wanted to restart.

and its a shit version of that, just like everything else this admin is doing.

Toth

Trump keeps going on and on about how good he is doing for the people of Puerto Rico. Wasn't the issue that he took too long to get started?

Trump keeps going on and on about how good he is doing for the people of Puerto Rico. Wasn't the issue that he took too long to get started?

Just saw his most recent tweet about there being decisions about the cost of rebuilding...is he implying there won’t be federal funds if it’s too expensive? I don’t get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom