• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT6| Made this thread during Harvey because the ratings would be higher

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just saw his most recent tweet about there being decisions about the cost of rebuilding...is he implying there won’t be federal funds if it’s too expensive? I don’t get it.
Of course he is.

Or at least that he’s publicly going to bemoan it and drag his feet about it like a stingy dad being hassled for an allowance.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Again, can we stop calling investigative journalism "oppo"? It just feeds into the narrative that the media's (or MSM's) sole purpose is to provide opposition research for liberals and can't be trusted.

I'm going to keep harping on this until PoliGAF finds a better term. Not only is it a misleading term but some of you actually act like it's oppo, waiting for it to be released at the perfect hour for maximum effect. WaPo and NYT aren't your personal Wikileaks.
Friday night Megaton-bombzaldroppen-leak-itshappening just doesn’t have the same ring to it.

Nope. Totally different Nixon had a D-house. Trump has an R-house that has protected him, and will keep protecting him.

People need to stop saying this. Those old democratic majorities were flimsy as hell.

93_us_house_membership.png

All of those Southern House Reps may have been democrats, but they were absolutely not aligned with the national party and would've had Nixon's back if it were politically possible after the smoking gun tape. It just wasn't because regardless of partisanship, clear evidence starts up the justice system machine.

Nixon wasn't indicted by one of the Watergate grand juries because the prosecutor explicitly told them they couldn't indict him unless he was impeached first. This was the beginning of the country essentially blackmailing Nixon with "if you don't resign, we'll impeach you and charge you"* and that was backed by southern dixiecrats for the most part.

*this was bad, he should've gone to prison.

I read about this a week or two ago. It’s not just Trump being a jackass, something super weird is happening down there and it seems like the Cuban government legitimately doesn’t know what’s going on either.

It started happening to Canadians too I think.

I read about this a week or two ago. It’s not just Trump being a jackass, something super weird is happening down there and it seems like the Cuban government legitimately doesn’t know what’s going on either.

It started happening to Canadians too I think.

I just saw a thread on it in OT. That's so bizarre.

Wikipedia said:
Kevin Maxwell Warsh (born April 13, 1970), is an American financier, lawyer, government official and academic. During and in the aftermath of the 2008 financial crisis, Warsh was a governor of the Federal Reserve System, and acted as the central bank's primary liaison to Wall Street. He is a distinguished visiting fellow at Stanford University's Hoover Institution, a member of the Group of Thirty, and a former steering committee member of the Bilderberg Group.

Wonder how Trump’s base will feel about this.

CCS

Banned
In purely professional terms, I have a very low opinion of Warsh. One of the few central bankers who managed to be wrong before, during, AND after the crisis. You'd have thought he'd manage to get one of those right.

San Juan Mayor Fumes After Top Trump Official Calls Puerto Rico Response A ‘Good News Story’

San Juan Mayor Carmen Yulin Cruz is shutting down White House claims that the federal government is doing all it can to support Puerto Ricans after Hurricane Maria completely devastated the U.S. territory over a week ago.

Cruz slammed Elaine Duke, acting secretary of Homeland Security, over her Thursday comments, which lauded the “amazing” federal response to the disaster.

“I know it’s a hard storm to recover from,” Duke told reporters outside the White House. “But I know it is really a good news story
in terms of our ability to reach people and the limited number of deaths that have taken place in such a devastating hurricane.”
“Maybe from where she’s standing it’s a good news story,” Cruz said on CNN’s “New Day” Friday. “When you are drinking from a creek, it’s not a good news story.”

“I’m sorry, but that really upsets me and frustrates me,” she continued, holding back tears. “Frankly, it’s an irresponsible statement. ... Damn it, this is not a good news story. This is a people are dying story. This is a life or death story. ... This is a story of a devastation that continues to worsen because people are not getting food and water.”

“If I could scream it a lot more louder ― it’s not a good news story when people are dying when they don’t have dialysis, and when the generators aren’t working and the oxygen is not providing for them. Where is there good news here?”

tuxfool

Banned
In purely professional terms, I have a very low opinion of Warsh. One of the few central bankers who managed to be wrong before, during, AND after the crisis. You'd have thought he'd manage to get one of those right.

Yeah. He seems at best utterly useless, at worst a complete financial disaster; after each of those failures remained absolutely convinced of his worldview. The bad thing is that after he left people at the Fed covered for him, despite the fact that he was really bad at his job.

This medium article is well worth a read:
https://medium.com/@sam_a_bell/jared-kushner-for-fed-chair-4d7c33817d8f

Warsh seems to be positioning himself for the big job, but his main claim to it — he was the youngest Fed governor (there are seven governors, including the Chair) in American history and served for five years — came only after his father-in-law donated significantly to the GOP after the 2000 election.

His service was a disaster:

-He was tasked with keeping tabs on Wall Street but instead preached about the wonders of financial innovation right up until it exploded the economy;

-He helped save the big financial institutions — including rescuing his former employer, Morgan Stanley — but was ready to pull the plug on help for the real economy before it even hit rock bottom; and

-He wrongly warned of catastrophic consequences from Fed policy but didn't even have the confidence of his own convictions to vote against them.

Kevin Warsh isn't fit to sit on Janet Yellen's committee let alone take her job. And if he fails up into the world's most powerful economic position we will all pay the price.

CCS

Banned
Yeah. He seems at best utterly useless, at worst a complete financial disaster; after each of those failures remained absolutely convinced of his worldview. The bad thing is that after he left people at the Fed covered for him, despite the fact that he was really bad at his job.

This medium article is well worth a read:
https://medium.com/@sam_a_bell/jared-kushner-for-fed-chair-4d7c33817d8f

The problem is, I understand why the Fed covered for him, but he would be a disaster. He's far too wedded to his (discredited) ideology to be a good chair, but that is sadly the trait that may well lead to him being picked.

tuxfool

Banned
The problem is, I understand why the Fed covered for him, but he would be a disaster. He's far too wedded to his (discredited) ideology to be a good chair, but that is sadly the trait that may well lead to him being picked.

Not even that. The trait that will lead him to getting picked is asskissing and schmoozing. His complete lack of qualifications and being wrong about everything makes him the perfect Donald Trump Fed candidate.

Trump keeps going on and on about how good he is doing for the people of Puerto Rico. Wasn't the issue that he took too long to get started?

Trump is full of shit. I wouldn't trust anything he said. The issue was that he was doing a terrible job, in regards to the Puerto Rico situation.

Peter Alexander‏Verified account @PeterAlexander 1h1 hour ago
More
NOW: Trump addressing challenges posed by Puerto Rico being an island: "This is an island surrounded by water. Big water. Ocean water."

P.S.: Fuck oppo droppo, oppoium is where it's at.

It's probably something we've known is coming, like confirmation of a Manafort indictment.

The last time Whittes tweeted something was coming, it came and he said it wasn't what he thought it was going to be. It was still good Oppo, but he knows of something else in the pipes that we don't. We also know of the WAPO story that they're sitting on. So there's potential this is something more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom