• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT6| Made this thread during Harvey because the ratings would be higher

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingV

They Crusades were over 500 years ago. You would think these people would have moved on by now.

Then again, the Civil War was 150 years ago, and, well...

I don’t think it really has anything to do with reclaiming the holy land.

I think it’s just “moo-slehms are bad, and we need to beat them before they kill us all!!!111” (put as much ignorant drawl on that as possible).

i've really reached a breaking point.

when the LOWEST of bars possible is reading off a teleprompter then this country is beyond fucked.

there is nothing redeeming. wrap it up. show's over. we're done.

You guys know one random "good" speech hasn't ever mattered and hasn't ever made Trump legitimate, right?

Like after the 20th time he's done this and the media's done this, you'd think you'd be immune to getting in a tizzy over it.

You guys know one random "good" speech hasn't ever mattered and hasn't ever made Trump legitimate, right?

Like after the 20th time he's done this and the media's done this, you'd think you'd be immune to getting in a tizzy over it.
I’m not infuriated because it works, I’m infuriated because they keep trying.

I just think I finally snapped at all this.

I just can’t.

It was pretty embarrassing how they just immediately went to how good it was simply because he didn't fuck up reading a teleprompter. You could tell he didn't mean a word he said though and there was no empathy in his voice. Just don't waste your time on CNN. They are shit.

lush

What's the timetable for when we could actually see another push for gun control legislation? I'd imagine it's far too partisan an issue at this point to really fool with considering you have the GOP trifecta and midterms approaching.

Is there ever a good time? This issue being as taboo as it is depresses the hell out of me. I just don't see how you bring the discourse back to the middle on this issue. The conversation is always muddied by misinformation and outright lies from multiple fronts.

What's the timetable for when we could actually see another push for gun control legislation? I'd imagine it's far too partisan an issue at this point to really fool with considering you have the GOP trifecta and midterms approaching.

Is there ever a good time? This issue being as taboo as it is depresses the hell out of me. I just don't see how you bring the discourse back to the middle on this issue. The conversation is always muddied by misinformation and outright lies from multiple fronts.

A month ago "gun control" was the thing liberals were considering dropping as part of a 50 state strategy.

I honestly don't understand how people get worked up over mass shootings now. Feels like just another Monday to me. I noticed things stopped hitting me as hard around the time of the Florida club shooting.

It was pretty embarrassing how they just immediately went to how good it was simply because he didn't fuck up reading a teleprompter. You could tell he didn't mean a word he said though and there was no empathy in his voice. Just don't waste your time on CNN. They are shit.

Along the same lines, I could tell the speech was going to pass muster by the tenor of the complaints in the OT thread, ha ha.

“TelePrompTer Trump”
“He couldn’t be more disinterested”
“Saying God a lot”

Me: I guess it’s one of his better ones

pigeon

Banned
Do you consider old people who struggle to budget as extremely mentally ill?

We should just say we want to confiscate guns instead of going through this bullshit, there is no reason to assume that old people that can't budget are close to as dangerous as any young adult male in America.

Yeah, we don't consider the mental disorders that make you much more likely to engage in mass murder to be mental illnesses.

pigeon

Banned
?

Genuinely struggling to parse this.

I'm agreeing with you. The factors that make mass shootings more likely are things like brittle self-image, gender rigidity, and aggression. We don't treat those things as mental illnesses or make any effort to segregate and treat them. So talking about "mental illnesses" is not really meaningful, because we consider mass shooters psychologically normal in our society.

A month ago "gun control" was the thing liberals were considering dropping as part of a 50 state strategy.

I honestly don't understand how people get worked up over mass shootings now. Feels like just another Monday to me. I noticed things stopped hitting me as hard around the time of the Florida club shooting.

I still get angry, it's just... I'm sick of bashing my head against a wall, you know? After Sandy Hook (and spending more time with gun owners/collectors), it's clear to me that there isn't any event or argument that could make gun control actually happen. Gun control opponents just have too much political force and too little interest in human life, and most gun control support is incredibly soft.

Blader

What's the timetable for when we could actually see another push for gun control legislation?

Never.

Sandy Hook was when the Republican Party collectively decided that no shooting could ever be bad enough to make them supportive of any kind of gun control, no matter how meager or fucking obvious it may be.

Ernest

Banned
Speech was fine, full of platitudes but certainly not bad.
No, it was bad. Not so much the content (which still wasn't "fine"), but how it was painfully obvious that Trump didn't give a shit.

Couple days ago I was listening to a radio cut of Obama talking about taking a knee. I'm not sure it was new, it might have been from when he was in office.

But regardless. You could feel Obama's honesty. You could feel that he truly understood. You could feel that he was truly sincere in having those taking a knee be heard as well as those being hurt by others taking a knee.

Listening to Obama talk for those 3-4 minutes almost made me cry. Not only because his statement was so heartfelt, honest and sincere about a complex issue, but also because of where we are with current POTUS. The contrast between Obama's humanity and Trump's inhumanity is immeasurable.

I'm agreeing with you. The factors that make mass shootings more likely are things like brittle self-image, gender rigidity, and aggression. We don't treat those things as mental illnesses or make any effort to segregate and treat them. So talking about "mental illnesses" is not really meaningful, because we consider mass shooters psychologically normal in our society.

I think this is in basic income territory for political feasibility, but with some upgraded systems, I'd like to see an automatic referral (paid by the government) to a psychiatrist that gets triggered by any adverse legal interaction (divorce, loss of employment, death of a relative, bankruptcy/eviction, anything that would get filed).

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Do you consider old people who struggle to budget as extremely mentally ill?

We should just say we want to confiscate guns instead of going through this bullshit, there is no reason to assume that old people that can't budget are close to as dangerous as any young adult male in America.

The shooter in this case was a senior citizen so a) I have no idea why you're arguing and b) This happens to be a really untenable argument right now.

Ogodei

We are never getting meaningful gun control legislation in our lifetime's.

Because:

I feel like the low-hanging fruit of closing the gun show loophole and expanding the criteria under which people are banned from purchasing firearms (like no record of violent or sexual crimes, history of mental illness, association with extremist groups) could be possible in the right environment.

The culture is changing even as the gun owners are becoming more radical, they're also decreasing as a proportion of the population. Per the last General Social Survey, the percentage of gun-owning homes is the lowest it has ever been.

DTC

http://www.wbur.org/hereandnow/2016/07/19/gerrymandering-republicans-redmap

Really good article about republican gerrymandering.

It's also good for reminding democrats that... we're far from hopeless. Look at how depressed republicans were after the 2008 election, where dems had a supermajority in the senate and house, a shitton of state legislatures... and look how fast it came crumbling down. We're about to do the same thing to republicans in 2018. The house and senate may be a tough hurdle to climb, but boy are those state legislatures going to be eviscerated.

chadskin

Julia Ioffe's oppo has droppo
On the evening of April 11, 2016, two weeks after Donald Trump hired the political consultant Paul Manafort to lead his campaign’s efforts to wrangle Republican delegates, Manafort emailed his old lieutenant Konstantin Kilimnik, who had worked for him for a decade in the Ukrainian capital, Kiev.

“I assume you have shown our friends my media coverage, right?” Manafort wrote.

“Absolutely,” Kilimnik responded a few hours later from Kiev. “Every article.”

“How do we use to get whole,” Manafort asks. “Has OVD operation seen?”

According to a source close to Manafort, the initials “OVD” refer to Oleg Vladimirovich Deripaska, a Russian oligarch and one of Russia’s richest men. The source also confirmed that one of the individuals repeatedly mentioned in the email exchange as an intermediary to Deripaska is an aide to the oligarch.

The emails were provided to The Atlantic on condition of anonymity. They are part of a trove of documents turned over by lawyers for Trump’s presidential campaign to investigators looking into the Kremlin’s interference in the 2016 election. A source close to Manafort confirmed their authenticity. Excerpts from these emails were first reported by The Washington Post, but the full text of these exchanges, provided to The Atlantic, shows that Manafort attempted to leverage his leadership role in the Trump campaign to curry favor with a Russian oligarch close to the Russian president, Vladimir Putin. Manafort was deeply in debt, and did not earn a salary from the Trump campaign.
https://www.theatlantic.com/politic...ht-approval-from-putin-ally-deripaska/541677/

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
"A source close to Manafort confirms the authenticity" sure seems like it.

An article a week about was similar. Sources close to Manafort confirmed he uses cryptic language to avoid talking openly about certain topics. Why are sources close to Manafort confirming any of this?

lush

Before he starts dividing

c7aHWC3.png

https://mobile.twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/280754630047199232

On July 29, a week after Trump accepted the Republican nomination, Manafort received another email from Kilimnik, this one with the subject line “Black Caviar.” “I met today with the guy who gave you your biggest black caviar jar several years ago,” Kilimnik wrote. “We spent about 5 hours talking about his story, and I have several important messages from him to you. He asked me to go and brief you on our conversation. I said I have to run it by you first, but in principle I am prepared to do it, provided that he buys me a ticket. It has to do about the future of his country, and is quite interesting. So, if you are not absolutely against the concept, please let me know which dates/places will work, even next week, and I could come and see you.”

Manafort agreed to the cryptic request, responding “Tuesday is best.”

Black Caviar, eh?

So, uh, I think Dems have an outside shot now of taking the VA House.

Decision Desk HQ is doing a deep dive into the map with people on the ground there. Along with HD-2 and HD-42 which are easy flips for Dems not listed...

DDHQ_HOD_CHART1.png

https://decisiondeskhq.com/news/virginia-house-of-delegates-ratings-overview/

IF Democrats take EVERY Likely, Lean, Tilt, and Tossup seat, they win 47 seats. Win 3 of the 4 tilt R seats...

Wouldn't they need to win the governor's race by more than 3 points to do this.

Hopefully we can open up a lead > 3 points soon.

Diablos

police says shooter’s profile is “unique”

Sometimes a white guy’s gonna shoot 500 people and well what can ya do
I doubt all 500 were shot. At least I hope not...
Many were probably trampled etc.
Not to mention if someone on site had a heart attack because of this incident would that count as an injury?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom