• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT6| Made this thread during Harvey because the ratings would be higher

Status
Not open for further replies.
All twitter needs is three rules

1) No harassment (including inciting harassment among your followers). They probably have this rule they're just shit at enforcing it.
2) No bots unless you represent a group of individuals (okay to have a bot auto-tweet corporate press releases or announcements for civil society groups).
3) Advocacy of genocide or pro-genocide groups is an instant ban.

~Just the little things~

Teggy

(Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump, who pledged to work with Democrats to protect "Dreamers" - young people brought illegally to the United States as children - called on Sunday for money to fund a border wall and thousands more immigration officers to be part of any deal.

Welp

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
There needs to be phone number verification for Twitter accounts. That would stop the bots. I don't know how you could stop a bot from replying unless you implemented captchas, which is a pain for everyone else.
I suppose. I guess I was thinking there might be an easier way to address it in the APIs but maybe that doesn't make sense.

PBY

Banned
Relax Daca to let more people qualify with path to citizenship and give him his extra border security. Seems pretty straight forward. It would take decades to build a wall anyway and the next president can just stop it.
10,000 more ICE agents is an absolute no go.

Sorry. Fuck off. No deal.

Can Democrats pick up that Senate seat?
Absolutely, but it wouldn't be until 2020. Governor appoints until then. I would hope Collins would wait until the second she's sworn in as Governor rather than let LePage get her replacement in.

e: Would there be a special election in 2019 to round out the last year of her term, anyone know? Says the appointment lasts until "the next general election" but I don't know if they count off-year elections for those. whyamihere, anyone know?

We find out tomorrow if the OG Moderate Darling Susan Collins runs for governor, assuming she keeps to her previously set deadline.

Hrm?

373px-Margaret_Chase_Smith.jpg

10,000 more ICE agents is an absolute no go.

Sorry. Fuck off. No deal.

Taking hundreds of thousands of people out of ICE's targets might be worth expanding their workforce by an order of magnitude less, but fundamentally I think Democratic leadership is going to make a decision based on activist asks, and I don't think most Dreamer groups are asking for them to throw everybody else under the bus.

I don't think it goes anywhere without comprehensive immigration reform.

Pixieking

Banned
Has twitter been a net negative or a net positive for society overall? Please discuss.

I'd be tempted to say net positive for society overall, based on how it surfaces PoC, women and minorities, and how quickly legitimate news organisations can push breaking news to a large number of people. But I feel its initial creation and subsequent handling is much like Valve and Steam. Both Valve and Twitter (the company) assumed that the majority of its users weren't sociopathic, racist/sexist dicks. And whilst the majority aren't, the signal-to-noise ratio of both Steam Reviews and Twitter is terrible, with automation and lax rule-enforcement ensuring that the awful abusive people have a louder, more harmful effect than the good/nice people having a good effect.

In both cases, the companies involved need to push harder against intolerance and hate, and weather the storms of "Muh free speech", because their reach gives them an outsized influence in today's world. For example, deleting Trump's personal account and suspending the official POTUS account would be nothing but a net positive for (literally) the entire world, and since Twitter is a private company, they have the ability to do that. That they don't means they're abdicating their responsibility to society, and their users.

Facebook, on the other hand, is a lost cause. Its influence, its bubble-effect on users, the ease with which its ads are manipulated... God, you can even go back to its real-name policy to show that no part of the company ever cared about the use of their platform or its effects on society/individuals.

Pixieking

Banned
'The Apprentice' Creators Look Back

And now is the first time Bill Pruitt has talked about what's on those tapes, though he can't go into too much detail. He did sign a non-disclosure agreement. He says it happened when Trump and the producers would talk about who to fire.

Was it just about women...

PRUITT: No.

MCEVERS: ...Mostly about women.

PRUITT: Very much a racist issue.

MCEVERS: It was about race...

PRUITT: Yeah.

MCEVERS: ...About African-Americans, Jewish people, all of the above.

PRUITT: Yep. When you heard these things, there's the audible gasp that is quickly followed by a cough, kind of like (gasping), you know, and then (coughing) - yes, anyway, you know? And then you just sort of carry on.

Irrelevant now, and judging from the after-effects of Pussygate, it was always going to be irrelevant. His base would lap it up, Hillary would still be torn-down, Trump would still have won.

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
A U.S territory was practically destroyed and somehow he’s the fucking victim.

Probably time to sign off for the night.

Just remember that his white, evangelical Christian base thinks they're one of the most discriminated against groups in this country. Birds of a feather and all that...

Chuck and Nancy already releasing statements saying the administrations Immigration "wish list" for backing a Dreamer bill is a non-starter.

Makes total sense to piss off guys like Corker who could torpedo agenda items like nixing the Iran deal and tax reform which they'll still try it to pass with a razor thin margin.

So I think the third Kennedy is really giving me some good vibes as a Presidential candidate. Really popular based on his FB, youthful and tbh he may be the best bet in re-igniting a Kennedy vs Nixon (Trump) vibe if he runs.

And I think it would work with the older generation too. What do you all think? So long as Bernie and every democrat backs him, this might work!

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
If the establishment republicans wanted to fuck Trump, they'd work with Chuck and Nancy to get a clean DACA bill passed and watch Trump squirm. But they don't care about bucking Trump and they care even less about brown people so this is where we are.

chadskin

Corker is back for more:

Senator Bob Corker, the Republican chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, charged in an interview on Sunday that President Trump was treating his office like “a reality show,” with reckless threats toward other countries that could set the nation “on the path to World War III.”

In an extraordinary rebuke of a president of his own party, Mr. Corker said he was alarmed about a president who acts “like he’s doing ‘The Apprentice’ or something.”

“He concerns me,” Mr. Corker added. “He would have to concern anyone who cares about our nation.”
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/08/us/politics/trump-corker.html

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
So I think the third Kennedy is really giving me some good vibes as a Presidential candidate. Really popular based on his FB, youthful and tbh he may be the best bet in re-igniting a Kennedy vs Nixon (Trump) vibe if he runs.

And I think it would work with the older generation too. What do you all think? So long as Bernie and every democrat backs him, this might work!

Republicans pretend to like Kennedy to try and seem reasonable so maybe?

I'm down.

Chuck and Nancy already releasing statements saying the administrations Immigration "wish list" for backing a Dreamer bill is a non-starter.

Makes total sense to piss off guys like Corker who could torpedo agenda items like nixing the Iran deal and tax reform which they'll still try it to pass with a razor thin margin.

They know they have him. The headlines for not doing something on this would be disastrous, and he loves headlines.

He's probably too young now, but yes, he's very popular.

Drakeon

I've been calling for this for a few months now, actually I've been pretty sold since he was interviewed on Pod Save America a while back.

Teggy

Sounds like Corker was given permission by McConnel to say the things the Senators who are up for re-election can’t say publicly.

Also read that Bannon is putting up primary challengers for all 2018 R senators except Cruz.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I've been calling for this for a few months now, actually I've been pretty sold since he was interviewed on Pod Save America a while back.

Yep. I posted this a couple months ago, too. He has "it." He's going to be president one day.

She didn't know much about "the Democrat" but liked that he was a doctor and I talked about the Medicaid expansion. Helped that she did like Ed.

Also it was persuasion calls in a Trump district so that was nice.

I need to know who will step up in SC-4. It's a potentially flippable district if someone will actually go and I'd like to help.

His raging jealousy of #PresidentBannon's ability to back winning Senator primary contestants and autofellate bubbling over again.

Not surprised, and will be continue to be not surprised when these stories conga-line out about Google.

Sounds like Corker was given permission by McConnel to say the things the Senators who are up for re-election can’t say publicly.

Also read that Bannon is putting up primary challengers for all 2018 R senators except Cruz.

How much of this is Mercer money and how much of it is him just glomping onto the next vapid Blunt Instrument is the question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom