• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT6| Made this thread during Harvey because the ratings would be higher

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member

This was the next line in the article:

Cody said that Trump may rankle some people with the way he talks and tweets, but it is a small price to pay for a president who will fight to strip away government regulations and strengthen the border.

Apparently not liking the guy you voted for is a small price to pay to have him wreck the country...

Wilsongt

Probably the revelation that Hillary finally admitted it was her fault Trump is President. Now there can be peace in politics... after we go over the 10 worst e-mails in the "Not Russian" DNC Hack.

Most of the opposition research on Bernie has leaked out, but I think the most damning thing would have been watching him have to try and give actual answers to questions. In a primary you can just focus on 1 issue, but as the nominee you have to give answers eventually, and Bernie was pretty bad outside of economics. Trump was a fucking moron*, but at least he tried to have answers that the lowest common denominator could understand, and all he had to do was continually lie and confirm peoples deepest most unfounded fears about Hillary. With Bernie, it would have been impossible to know if he was lying or not, and some of the stuff he wasn't lying about would have seemed pretty outlandish. He could have just made up so much shit about Bernie being a communist and people wouldn't really be able to tell it wasn't true.

* - Trademarked by Rex Tillerson

With the rise of American Nazis, Bernie may have been a sitting duck. You never know.

What would have won out? Sexism or racism?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Probably the revelation that Hillary finally admitted it was her fault Trump is President. Now there can be peace in politics... after we go over the 10 worst e-mails in the "Not Russian" DNC Hack.

Most of the opposition research on Bernie has leaked out, but I think the most damning thing would have been watching him have to try and give actual answers to questions. In a primary you can just focus on 1 issue, but as the nominee you have to give answers eventually, and Bernie was pretty bad outside of economics. Trump was a fucking moron*, but at least he tried to have answers that the lowest common denominator could understand, and all he had to do was continually lie and confirm peoples deepest most unfounded fears about Hillary. With Bernie, it would have been impossible to know if he was lying or not, and some of the stuff he wasn't lying about would have seemed pretty outlandish. He could have just made up so much shit about Bernie being a communist and people wouldn't really be able to tell it wasn't true.

Uh I don’t agree. What was trump’s issue in the general? Racism. There’s no reason to believe Bernie couldn’t have done well talking repeatedly about like income inequality. I mean would have done better than whatever Hillary ended up talking about I guess.

I am now convinced this is what Corker was talking about when he said he had important work to do over the next 13 months.

Yeah, I think the small chances of moving the legislative agenda forward are pretty much gone, this is not going to get better. Corker hasn't gone rogue.

Waiting for the "Chuck and Nancy are my BFFs" tweets anytime soon now

Wow. NFL blowback?

If anyone supports him on the NFL nonsense it's rural whites. I think it's moreso that some are realizing they've been conned, frustration over his inability to make good on any of his promises thus far, foreign policy concerns, etc. Just a mix of fuck ups.

The NFL stuff, transgender ban, etc are little more than transparent attempts to rally his base. Seems like the WH is very comfortable with the idea of winning re-election without bringing anyone new into the fold.

Uh I don’t agree. What was trump’s issue in the general? Racism. There’s no reason to believe Bernie couldn’t have done well talking repeatedly about like income inequality. I mean would have done better than whatever Hillary ended up talking about I guess.

It certainly wouldn't have been because of the quality of ideas. Hillary pointed out she was constantly forced to react to what Trump did or said. It's hard to say Bernie would have drawn in as many voters as Hillary did without solid answers on several key issues at the time.

In a primary you can just focus on 1 issue, but as the nominee you have to give answers eventually, and Bernie was pretty bad outside of economics. Trump was a fucking moron*, but at least he tried to have answers that the lowest common denominator could understand, and all he had to do was continually lie and confirm peoples deepest most unfounded fears about Hillary. With Bernie, it would have been impossible to know if he was lying or not, and some of the stuff he wasn't lying about would have seemed pretty outlandish. He could have just made up so much shit about Bernie being a communist and people wouldn't really be able to tell it wasn't true.

Bernie wasn't very good on any subject but he was passionate. One of his biggest issues was virtually all of the talent in say foreign policy/economics not working for his campaign. James Galbraith volunteered his time to defend a lesser known economist that analysed a Sanders proposal from unprofessional attacks. But outside of that narrow defense, Bernie didn't have high profile people backing up his message and explaining why his ideas probably can work.

Feinstein‏ running for reelection:

Dianne Feinstein‏
@DianneFeinstein
Follow
More
I am running for reelection to the Senate. Lots more to do: ending gun violence, combating climate change, access to healthcare. I'm all in!

Manu Raju‏Verified account
@mkraju
Follow
More Manu Raju Retweeted Dianne Feinstein
Even though this is not a verified account, a Feinstein spox says this is accurate - she's running for reelect.

New Virginia polls

CNU/Wason Center: http://m.nbc12.com/story/36550832/ahead-of-final-debate-northam-leads-gillespie-by-7-points-in-poll

Northam 49
Gillespie 42

(Also Justin Fairfax leads 48-40 for Lt. Gov and Mark Herring leads 51-40 for AG)

Emerson (eww): https://www.peoplespunditdaily.com/...-ralph-northam-leads-republican-ed-gillespie/

Northam 49
Gillespie 44

Neither are phenomenal pollsters, but add them to the pile.

Still hoping Northam wins by at least 7 points. That would be a bigger margin than either of Obama’s elections, Kaine’s 2012 Senate election, McAuliffe’s 2013 gubernatorial election, Warner’s 2014 election or Clinton’s 2016 election. To find a bigger Dem win you’d have to go back to Warner’s 2008 election to the Senate which was a landslide - or Northam’s own win in 2013 for Lt. Governor over McCrazypants.

Also that’s probably the magic number to swing the VA House or at least come close.

Feinstein‏ running for reelection:

tenor.gif

If anyone supports him on the NFL nonsense it's rural whites. I think it's moreso that some are realizing they've been conned, frustration over his inability to make good on any of his promises thus far, foreign policy concerns, etc. Just a mix of fuck ups.

The NFL stuff, transgender ban, etc are little more than transparent attempts to rally his base. Seems like the WH is very comfortable with the idea of winning re-election without bringing anyone new into the fold.

It's kind of crazy, given how close the election was. He can't really expect his base to turn out higher in 2020. He will definitely lose base enthusiasm because he is not accomplishing anything. His only play is to try and pick up more moderates . . . But he's not doing it. Therefore, if he loses even a fraction of a percent of base votes due to enthusiasm drop off. . . He's out.

It's kind of crazy, given how close the election was. He can't really expect his base to turn out higher in 2020. He will definitely lose base enthusiasm because he is not accomplishing anything. His only play is to try and pick up more moderates . . . But he's not doing it. Therefore, if he loses even a fraction of a percent of base votes due to enthusiasm drop off. . . He's out.
He’s going to lose moderates too. Plenty of independents “gave him a chance.” What happens when the alternative to Trump doesn’t have -20 disapproval?

dramatis

I can't imagine where we're going to be 3 years from now, and voters have short memories to be honest, so I think if there is an actual candidate on the opposite side the polls might say something different.

I can't imagine where we're going to be 3 years from now, and voters have short memories to be honest, so I think if there is an actual candidate on the opposite side the polls might say something different.

The odds of any 2020 Democratic candidate being as disliked as Clinton is . . . Not good for Trump.

I don't think Trump's team ever realized what an absolute fluke his election was and they are doing absolutely nothing to improve his prospects in three years. Keeping the base happy at this point does nothing for them. And they aren't even doing a great job at that.

Maybe it's a product of this being the first time we have a president living in the Fox News bubble.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Actually democrats crossed over to try to get Rubio to win in like Virginia or some shit. He still lost.

DTC

if only justice dems could try and primary feinstein or menedez instead of joe manchin lol

also the trump strategy almost made hillary win. i think she would have been demolished by cruz or rubio (and i am a 08 hillary supporter and 16 hillary primary voter!)

PBY

Banned
There's no difference between a crazy Republican winning and a not crazy Republican winning, other than the former gives the Democrats better odds. The two Republicans will have identical voting records.
This isn't true come on. Votes could be identical but you're ignoring other negative consequences.
This isn't hard.

PBY

Banned
So tell me them
Uhhh assisting the rise of overt xenophobia, racism and mysogyny? Shifting the Overton window for all kinds of heinous and fascist shit? You realize establishment republicans have moved on the wall, the Muslim ban, abortion and all other kinds of awful shit?

Don't be dumb man. It's like we didn't JUST do this in 2016.

DTC

PBY makes a good point. Establishment R's getting primaried will make the GOP continue to move to the right on immigration. Remember most of the establishment republicans running in 2015 were relatively pro immigrarion because businesses tend to like immigration and they thought they needed to do better with hispanics to win elections... then Trump happened and the GOP base spoke.

Uhhh assisting the rise of overt xenophobia, racism and mysogyny? Shifting the Overton window for all kinds of heinous and fascist shit? You realize establishment republicans have moved on the wall, the Muslim ban, abortion and all other kinds of awful shit?

We didn't just do this in 2016. The article actually notes it was an effective strategy in 2012.

PBY makes a good point. Establishment R's getting primaried will make the GOP continue to move to the right on immigration. Remember most of the establishment republicans running in 2015 were relatively pro immigrarion because businesses tend to like immigration and they thought they needed to do better with hispanics to win elections... then Trump happened and the GOP base spoke.

They were pro immigration, but never voted for any fix for immigration.

Okay but there was an event in 2016 that maybe showed us the risks of this strategy?

But Trump wasn't because of this strategy, so how would it show us the risks?

I'm not really following.

If a crazy person got elected without Democrat meddling, how does that show the risks in Democrat meddling if the downside of the strategy could happen anyway?

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member

Hannity's tick tock?

I mean, even if at some point the intent was to talk about something completely different, they still have emails between Russians and Trump Jr talking about meeting to talk about possible dirt on Hillary Clinton with Trump Jr saying "love it"... and these were provided by Trump Jr, haha. The intent on Trump's side is clear.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Russian lawyers.

Surejan.gif

I love how their defense is is that they were discussing the Magnitsky Act.

Basically they are admitting to meeting with Russian Lawers about possibly overturning sanctions, before Trump is president.

Yep nothing wrong with that lol

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I love how their defense is is that they were discussing the Magnitsky Act.

Basically they are admitting to meeting with Russian Lawers about possibly overturning sanctions, before Trump is president.

Yep nothing wrong with that lol

"I couldn't have started that fire if I was robbing a bank 3 towns over!"

You're falling for Moderate Darlings. Voting records matter infinitely more. Establishment Republicans didn't move on from any of those things because they've done nothing to aid in those issues.

DTC

You're falling for Moderate Darlings. Voting records matter infinitely more. Establishment Republicans didn't move on from any of those things because they've done nothing to aid in those issues.

They didn't fix immigration, but they didn't break it. Sucks that immigration has been like this for 30+ years. Now you're getting more people who want to break immigration.

Teggy

Was going to post yesterday that trumps empty schedule pretty much guaranteed he’d be playing golf today

Kaitlan Collins @kaitlancollins
The pool spotted Trump and Sen. Lindsay Graham getting into SUVS & what looked like golf clubs being placed in the back of one.
11:26 AM · Oct 9, 2017

Ogodei

The question is, does the GOP really think they're going to win "decently" in 2018 or 2020? You say they can't afford to cut them off, and I agree with you up to a point. But that point is the stage where the GOP lose more votes by keeping the racist base than they do kicking them to the curb. How enthused will those racists be come November next year, and in 2020? Will their forecasted turnout be lower than the No Party Affiliations who the GOP are losing because of those racists?

If ballad's estimates are correct (and they probably are), there aren't more moderate swing voters than there are hardcore Trumpkins.

If you look at the spectrum of Hard-R Trumpkins, Hard-R non-Trumpkins, right-leaning moderates, and "true" moderates, there's no group where the GOP can find the numbers to make up for the loss of the Trumpkins.

It's a choice of guaranteed political irrelevance or likely political irrelevance. The Dixiecrats continue to be a cancer on any party they latch onto (at least after the 60s when open racism became gauche with mainstream white America).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom