• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT6| Made this thread during Harvey because the ratings would be higher

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shutting down government while the country is recovering from at least one or possibly two hurricanes just hurts more people.

Sounds like it should work then! That's kinda the point to protest.

You do that and Republicans will respond by tacking the wall to it as well.

I doubt this because we can just shut it down over that as well. If they want to fund the government and not be on the hook for a shutdown, they can pass the bill that Nancy hands them.

I think the time is now for the GOP to either nut up or shut up when it comes to these things. Either you support the Dreamers or you don't.

Seems like a pretty legit cause to do it for.

Of course, it would require a few Republicans joining in, so your whole defense of it is kinda pointless anyways.

Isn't it the other way around? The budget to fund the government will need Dem votes because of the crazies, which means the GOP needs to come up with a budget that passes Pelosi's sniff test. Ryan hasn't been able to whip his caucus on anything other than a healthcare bill that they literally said was a placeholder that meant nothing.

I find it weird how people say that winning the house is impossible but also republicans can't just let this slide or its suicide

If democrats can't unseat them they don't have much reason to care. I don't see the GOP overriding the President on something like this. The backlash will be worse from their own voters for doing it then the threat they face from being unseated by democrats

This is what happens when your opponent is convinced you are incompetent

I find it weird how people say that winning the house is impossible but also republicans can't just let this slide or its suicide

If democrats can't unseat them they don't have much reason to care. I don't see the GOP overriding the President on something like this. The backlash will be worse from their own voters for doing it then the threat they face from being unseated by democrats

This is what happens when your opponent is convinced you are incompetent

Schrodinger's Democrats

The people who call a House victory "impossible" are dumbasses. We currently have a 30% chance of winning the House outright, and we're virtually guaranteed to reduce their already unworkable majority. Yes, they are scared of the electoral consequences.

Barzul

What is the political cost of DACA repeal? How popular are dreamers will the voting populace?

I'm sure in GOP calculations they're worried about losing/alienating Trump's base. But the issue is where else are these guys going to turn to? They won't all of sudden become bleeding heart liberals.

The difficulty in retaking the house is that Dems currently have no answer to the already grass-roots political action that has already taken root for the past 10-15 years, which is Fox News and the eruption of rightwing news outlets that have risen as the result of the internet. They are powerless in rural areas.

Until there's a collective answer to news media both on TV and on the internet, that 30% will continue to dwindle as the days roll on by.

shem935

Banned
What is the political cost of DACA repeal? How popular are dreamers will the voting populace?

I'm sure in GOP calculations they're worried about losing/alienating Trump's base. But the issue is where else are these guys going to turn to? They won't all of sudden become bleeding heart liberals.

Last poll I saw was 70% IIRC.

The concern would be they don't vote or primary everyone

Very important point I saw floating around Twitter. This decision makes any future attempts at amnesty/immigration reform nigh impossible. Who is going to come out of the shadows when it can be used in future persecution?

The difficulty in retaking the house is that Dems currently have no answer to the already grass-roots political action that has already taken root for the past 10-15 years, which is Fox News and the eruption of rightwing news outlets that have risen as the result of the internet. They are powerless in rural areas.

Until there's a collective answer to news media both on TV and on the internet, that 30% will continue to dwindle as the days roll on by.

Your "grassroots" conservative activism - funded by the Koch Brothers and disseminated by corporate news - only prospered because of a black Democratic president and Democrats holding the levers of power. Those conservative outlets wanted President Hillary more than anyone because she would've galvanized the base and given them a target. If you haven't noticed, they've been floundering this year despite Fascist Fanta.

Saying Democrats' chances will dwindle ignores the dynamics of midterm elections.

Schrodinger's Democrats

The people who call a House victory "impossible" are dumbasses. We currently have a 30% chance of winning the House outright, and we're virtually guaranteed to reduce their already unworkable majority. Yes, they are scared of the electoral consequences.

I think the problem is that they are more concerned about losing a potential primary challenge then a general election loss to a democrat.

So I think the best thing for them is to just give some moderate lip service and pretend like there's nothing they can do. They don't obstruct trump and don't stop him. Kicking the can is all they know how to do and I think electorally it's probably the least painful thing for them.

Valhelm

contribute something
Very important point I saw floating around Twitter. This decision makes any future attempts at amnesty/immigration reform nigh impossible. Who is going to come out of the shadows when it can be used in future persecution?

Trump's nauseating actions today will be incredibly germane to any future impeachment.

This might be what they get him for.

Barzul

I think the problem is that they are more concerned about losing a potential primary challenge then a general election loss to a democrat.

So I think the best thing for them is to just give some moderate lip service and pretend like there's nothing they can do. They don't obstruct trump and don't stop him. Kicking the can is all they know how to do and I think electorally it's probably the least painful thing for them.
Well this has a clear expiry date. 6 months. Trump's ICE will go after Dreamers hard, they've probably been chomping at the bit for this.

Toth

I am worried that the whole Sheriff Joe outrage has dissipated. Harvey has been a blessing for Trump, as horrible as that sounds :(

royalan

This is just insane. Despite how morally bankrupt this is, in 6 months we'll be in an election year. What GOP congressman wants to deal with the optics of a steady stream of news stories of kids and young adults being rounded up and deported to countries they don't know?

Dems, leave the speak writers and focus groups at home. Get out there and speak from the heart. The GOP needs to wear this shame. Forget Trump, they did this.

jtb

Banned
@maggieNYT
This is not how Politico story is being read, but reality is this is a signal the president does not actually want to end DACA and 1/

@maggieNYT
2/ it's not clear what will be different in six months that will make him end it. Doesn't mean he says "i'll keep it." Also doesn't mean ...

@maggieNYT
3/....that he ends it.

I'm so uncontrollably angry right now that I don't even know what to make of this

@maggieNYT
This is not how Politico story is being read, but reality is this is a signal the president does not actually want to end DACA and 1/

@maggieNYT
2/ it's not clear what will be different in six months that will make him end it. Doesn't mean he says "i'll keep it." Also doesn't mean ...

@maggieNYT
3/....that he ends it.

I'm so uncontrollably angry right now that I don't even know what to make of this

So... Trump using a delaying tactic because he's too much of a pussy to make a real decision? Surprise.

Still, Congress needs to vote on it.

And Maggie Haberman et. al are only unequivocal when it comes to holding Hillary and her EMAILS accountable.

Barzul

@maggieNYT

@maggieNYT

@maggieNYT
3/....that he ends it.

Ah so he just wants to fuck with their lives. American lives. Because that's what these folks are. American as fuck.

Valhelm

contribute something
@maggieNYT

@maggieNYT

@maggieNYT
3/....that he ends it.

Trump cares much more about appeasing his base than actually banning immigrants. He'd rather perform some act of hatred or swamp draining or military bravado so he can tell his fans that he's not just watching Fox all day.

He's dropped his attempts at a wider Muslim ban, right?

Teggy

It would seem he's trying to have it both ways. Give congress 6 mos to put DACA into law and he still gets to say he ended DACA to his base.

It would seem he's trying to have it both ways. Give congress 6 mos to put DACA into law and he still gets to say he ended DACA to his base.

And see, if he had good relationships with Congress and knew how to coordinate, this strategy might work.

But as with everything else, it will be a clusterfuck.

jtb

Banned
And Maggie Haberman et. al are only unequivocal when it comes to holding Hillary and her EMAILS accountable.

This did have a whiff of "parroting the utterly meaningless and completely false white house line unquestioningly to curry access" to it, which is part of the reason why I just have no idea what to make of it.

Either way, it's pretty obvious that we can't trust Trump or the GOP to do the right thing - whether it's now or in six months

@maggieNYT

@maggieNYT

@maggieNYT
3/....that he ends it.

WTF

She's not wrong. The 6 month delay is an intentional window for Congress to act. I wouldn't interpret it as Trump caring about Dreamers as much as it is him punting responsibility to Congress. He doesn't want this hanging on him.

Of course, now we have to count on Paul Ryan. Paul Ryan is the last line of defense to save a million people... god help us all.

She's not wrong. The 6 month delay is an intentional window for Congress to act. I wouldn't interpret it as Trump caring about Dreamers as much as it is him punting responsibility to Congress. He doesn't want this hanging on him.

Of course, now we have to count on Paul Ryan. Paul Ryan is the last line of defense to save a million people... god help us all.

Unless Atlas Shrugged or The Fountainhead gives explicit instructions for this situation, we're fucked.

Paul Ryan probably hopes Coffman's discharge petition succeeds. A DACA act passes, and he can furrow his brows at his caucus yet ultimately do nothing.

And see, if he had good relationships with Congress and knew how to coordinate, this strategy might work.

But as with everything else, it will be a clusterfuck.

That's what we can hope, or that he forgets about it for a new shiny hate bauble.

Now the tug-of-war between "regular GOP scared as fuck to kill immigration a large chunk of them actually agree with" vs "regular GOP scared as fuck to do anything" begins.

That's what we can hope, or that he forgets about it for a new shiny hate bauble.

Now the tug-of-war between "regular GOP scared as fuck to kill immigration a large chunk of them actually agree with" vs "regular GOP scared as fuck to do anything" begins.

We only need 24 profiles in courage to sign the discharge petition in addition to the 194 Democrats. If the Hillary Republicans had any sense, they'd sign tomorrow morning.

But Martha McSally and Darrell Issa will continue being irredeemable assholes, I bet.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
3f159be9cc8d224b1bee65231a6eebbc12c00fae.jpeg

Every fucking time I see this image over at TNR

200w.gif

royalan

@maggieNYT

@maggieNYT

@maggieNYT
3/....that he ends it.

No, fuck this.

This can't matter.

GrapeApes

Well the explanation many on the right give for their opposition to DACA is really "Obama", not that it exists.

Trump's whole purpose is to opposed Obama. I don't see how he can sell signing this to his shit base. You'd need veto proof majorities and I can't really see that.

@maggieNYT

@maggieNYT

@maggieNYT
3/....that he ends it.

My guess is he's going to try and negotiate with it to get something else.

Trump really likes Maggie largely for these reasons. Maggie's been about as good to him as an actual reporter covering Trump can be. She's not a full blown blind believer or anything, but she's published some good press for him from time to time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom