• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT6| Made this thread during Harvey because the ratings would be higher

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeels

Would we take border wall funding in exchange for daca being law? As someone who knows many dreamers, I would...as horrible symbolically a wall would be.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Schrodinger's Democrats

The people who call a House victory "impossible" are dumbasses. We currently have a 30% chance of winning the House outright, and we're virtually guaranteed to reduce their already unworkable majority. Yes, they are scared of the electoral consequences.

....this is something to be positive about??

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Would we take border wall funding in exchange for daca being law? As someone who knows many dreamers, I would...as horrible symbolically a wall would be.

It seems much easier to undo the wall in 4 years than to undo the damage that ending DACA will do.

Besides, elections have consequences and the losing side should take what it can get in situations like this.

Zolo

It seems much easier to undo the wall in 4 years than to undo the damage that ending DACA will do.

Besides, elections have consequences and the losing side should take what it can get in situations like this.

The problem with it being as Trump, what's to stop him from demanding more with the DACA as leverage?

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
The problem with it being as Trump, what's to stop him from demanding more with the DACA as leverage?

He'll sign anything put in front of him. Trump doesn't care about wheeling and dealing for policy when he has no real policy opinions of his own. The main problem is if his base revolts against it and scares Trump away, or if Ryan/McConnell block it.

Democrats can maybe shut down the government over it.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Folks talking about bargaining with Trump have a wicked combination of amnesia and Stockholm Syndrome.

Remember how Trump acted like he was empathetic to the flood victims when he went to Texas yesterday?

(this was an actual talking point on MSNBC, btw)

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Even if Trump's idea is to use DACA as a bargaining chip, I suspect he's sadistic enough to end it anyway even if he gets what he wants.

If a deal is struck, it'd be put in a bill that trump can't just end unless he ignores the courts telling him he can't.

Sibylus

Banned
Remember how Trump acted like he was empathetic to the flood victims when he went to Texas yesterday?

(this was an actual talking point on MSNBC, btw)

Remember literally every time someone backed him, helped him, or praised him? There is literally nobody outside of his creepy family that he won't betray and throw out like trash.

It looks like white nationalists have moved on from yellow stars and parentheses. Per Breitbart, the new faschion trend is surrounding people's names by globes. Time to update your screen names.

a.wd

Jesus Christ. Ok, I'm officially starting the Trump Impeachment Prediction Competition. Quote this post and post whether you think Trump will be impeached or not, with an optional over/under. Deadline is next week.

Yes impeach, O/U 10/1

Also I think there is a good chance of a medical retirement

No chance. He'll likely resign after a year. Claiming he accomplished everything he wanted and left early because he was so successful 4 years would be pointless, or blame everyone in Washington and say it's irreparable.

a.wd

No chance. He'll likely resign after a year. Claiming he accomplished everything he wanted and left early because he was so successful 4 years would be pointless, or blame everyone in Washington and say it's irreparable.

Resignation would be amazing, but I reeeeally don't think he is self aware enough for that.

It is the only way he makes it out with any ability to claim he did a good job.

As I still refuse to believe Trump would willingly sacrifice the lives of potentially millions of South Koreans, the boasting about being ready to attack at any time is still the dumbest possible bluff. There are plenty of US citizens and US military personnel in the border region, too. Knowingly ignoring their safety is unthinkable. The generals would revolt before permitting something like that, surely? Without even a hint of US buildup in the area or a call for Americans to voluntarily evacuate SK it's like trying to call a bluff in a poker game while you have a hand full of Uno cards.

The economic trade threats are equally stupid, but at least there aren't lives immediately on the line! Trump: "China, stop trading with North Korea or I'll punch myself in the dick" is not a credible threat.

Crocodile

DI1EK21UIAEyayz.jpg

Seems right

dramatis

I glanced at the hurricane thread. If you're in FL, GA, SC, probably also NC, you should probably be keeping an eye on Irma.

Federal resources are going to be stretched thin with the ongoing recovery in Texas.

DI4bRuhWAAAjoBg

Republican Senator willing to take a legislative approach to protecting DACA recipients. We need to apply pressure wherever possible.

September is too dangerous to play hardball. We need to raise the debt ceiling, fund the government, and provide substantial disaster relief. But come October, this needs to be a top priority. Congressional Democrats can’t provide a single vote for tax reform, infrastructure, or any other agenda item until DACA protections are codified.

On another note:

@kylegriffin1 said:
Trump team considering plan that would tax the $$ workers place into 401ks up front to pay for corporate tax cuts.

Pure evil.

FyreWulff

that's literally.. just.. literally

literally taking money from the employees and giving it to the CEOs

a giant fuck you to the middle class

if they could get away with it they'd likely invert the tax brackets

jtb

Banned
Can't help but feel that even "shut up and give me tax cuts" college educated suburban Republicans would see that as a huge fuck you.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
LOL at the 401k thing.

There is literally zero justification for it. No logic whatsoever. A huge "screw you" to all individual tax-paying citizens. As if we aren't already going to have a huge retirement disaster in the future thanks to 401ks.

ascii42

They would have to remove the tax on withdrawal, it would make even less sense otherwise.

Basically, they would have to turn it into a Roth 401k......

Which would be better for people who'd be facing a higher tax rate when they retire than they do currently. With the reverse being true with a traditional 401k. Of course, assuming that they do in fact not double tax people.

Patryn

They would have to remove the tax on withdrawal, it would make even less sense otherwise.

Basically, they would have to turn it into a Roth 401k......

Wouldn't that almost mean they're robbing Peter (the future) to pay Paul (the present)?

Tamanon

Banned
Wouldn't that almost mean they're robbing Peter (the future) to pay Paul (the present)?

That's exactly what they would do.

And they wouldn't be able to modify the taxation of withdrawals for money that was already contributed. It'd basically be putting out that "tax cut"(the withdrawal) for ~20 years or so. CBO would probably have no idea what to do with it.

It's just dumb all around, and would encourage people to stop saving for retirement.

That's exactly what they would do.

And they wouldn't be able to modify the taxation of withdrawals for money that was already contributed. It'd basically be putting out that "tax cut"(the withdrawal) for ~20 years or so. CBO would probably have no idea what to do with it.

It's just dumb all around, and would encourage people to stop saving for retirement.

In the future, all retirement savings will be held in the form of Dogecoin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom