• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT6| Made this thread during Harvey because the ratings would be higher

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teggy

Devil's advocate take on yesterday's deal was that it frees up a lot of time for Rs to putz around on a new healthcare bill or tax cuts.

Fox318

Oh what could have been if she was our president....

She would probably have just as much of an issue gentling an agenda through congress.

Unless she suddenly figured out how to be appealing to half of the nation I honestly think she would have been a 1 term President.

Teggy

lol, he's such a child

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/09/07/trump-calls-nancy-pelosi-chuck-schumer-news-coverage-242441

Many Republicans were furious with President Donald Trump's budget deal Wednesday, stunned that the president quickly gave in to Democratic demands to pair hurricane relief with a three-month debt limit hike — though getting nothing in return.

But in calls with Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer and House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi Thursday morning, Trump raved about the positive news coverage it had received, according to people familiar with the calls, and he seemed very pleased with his decision.

Trump specifically mentioned TV segments praising the deal and indicated he'd been watching in a call with Schumer, two people said.
And he was jovial in a call with Pelosi and agreed to send a tweet she asked for about the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program, these people said, while also mentioning the attention the deal had gotten. He indicated to both leaders he would be willing to work together again.

Only a matter of time before #PresidentPelosi starts trending and Trump does another 180, but I wonder how far Dems can push this for now.

Cruz is in on the debt-ceiling Harvey bill, but wishes it were a clean Harvey relief bill:

https://twitter.com/lizcgoodwin/status/905821436975104000
And this is why I thought that interview that questioned him about voting against disaster relief was terrible.

He said he didn't want to vote for sandy relief because it shouldn't have been attached to anything. Trapping him by saying "will you oppose Harvey relief if it gets attached to anything else as well then", because the answer to that would obviously be no. Reporters need to be able to be prepared to handle politicians defenses if they are going to go after them because the average viewer will accept their reasoning if they let it go unchallenged

Could you be any more condescending? I'm correcting the factually false information and irrational exuberance in here and giving context. Ive seen enough hackneyed political prognostications to know that you're not Nostradamus.

You don't seem to actually understand how midterm dynamics work, which I was pointing out when you said you'd rather have this open election in a presidential year. That's not how out-party midterms work. You should be hoping for as many retirements in 2018 as possible.

And no one actually have irrational exuberance, just the correct assumption that given the dynamics of 2018 and the seat itself, that this is a prime pickup opportunity. And I also said if Democrats cannot win this seat, then it is a bad night and they should give up as a party, which was half of a joke.

Saying that this seat has "never been held by a Democrat" thus a Democrat cannot win is a fundamentally terrible argument for more than one reason. Saying that this seat would be safer in a presidential year is silly given how midterms work and how special elections have worked since Trump was elected. No one is saying pack your bags, we have this. But given the dynamics at play, you'd much rather be the Democrats than the Republicans for WA-8.

studyguy

https://twitter.com/jdawsey1/status/905825656688304129
Josh Dawsey (@jdawsey1)
"The press has been incredible," Trump told Pelosi of debt deal, according to person w/direct knowledge of the call. https://t.co/jaNF5L7NW9

Trump specifically mentioned TV segments praising the deal and indicated he'd been watching in a call with Schumer, two people said. And he was jovial in a call with Pelosi and agreed to send a tweet she asked for about the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program, these people said, while also mentioning the attention the deal had gotten. He indicated to both leaders he would be willing to work together again.

"He seemed super upbeat," one person familiar with the calls said.

Another person familiar with the calls said Trump told Pelosi her coverage was even better than his. “The press has been incredible,” Trump said.

lmao

Teggy

What is the Republican Study Committee? Does it have any sway?

@ryanobles
Pelosi on POTUS meeting: "I was proud of Schumer he was able to talk New York in a way that really worked."
11:06 AM · Sep 7, 2017 from Washington, DC

Bwahahahahaha

Blader

What is the Republican Study Committee? Does it have any sway?

It's the Freedom Caucus before there was a Freedom Caucus. It is a significant bloc of votes, but Ryan was always going to need trade conservative votes for Dems on lifting the debt ceiling anyway.

You don't seem to actually understand how midterm dynamics work, which I was pointing out when you said you'd rather have this open election in a presidential year. That's not how out-party midterms work. You should be hoping for as many retirements in 2018 as possible.

And no one actually have irrational exuberance, just the correct assumption that given the dynamics of 2018 and the seat itself, that this is a prime pickup opportunity. And I also said if Democrats cannot win this seat, then it is a bad night and they should give up as a party, which was half of a joke.

Saying that this seat has "never been held by a Democrat" thus a Democrat cannot win is a fundamentally terrible argument for more than one reason. Saying that this seat would be safer in a presidential year is silly given how midterms work and how special elections have worked since Trump was elected. No one is saying pack your bags, we have this. But given the dynamics at play, you'd much rather be the Democrats than the Republicans for WA-8.
Yeah, even if Republicans win this one, all they've managed to do is hold the line, and it'll likely be much closer than any of Reichert's wins in the last three cycles.

Of course, 2018 is where "moral victories" stop counting, so Democrats need to win this one. It's a top 10 district for sure.

A few more choice retirements like these and Dems' path to a majority suddenly becomes a lot cleaner. WA-8 isn't the same slam dunk that FL-27 is, but it's another seat on the board.

Anyone else hoping Feinstein gets a solid primary challenger? If Democrats managed to shut Republicans out of the top two for both the Senate and gubernatorial races, that would depress GOP turnout immensely, and there are seven GOP-held Clinton Congressional seats in California alone. That's nearly one-third of the way there!

Ernest

Banned
Fucking LOL at Turtle's face in this pic:

Did I just a hallucinate a text that said Trump and Pelosi agreed to try and repeal the debt ceiling?

Trump, Schumer agree to pursue plan to repeal the debt ceiling

WP just sent this out via push notification.

This was proposed every time it came up under Obama, and yet it might somehow become a signature achievement of the Trump administration. Amazing.
Bahahaha

I didn't know what you were talking about, good to see immediate confirmation.

He wants that wall up.

I'm shocked that Dems are going to fund it considering how wasteful and the impact om the environment a project like that would be.

Unless Trump has scaled down his Game of Thrones style wall to one of a picket fence.

I don't think anyone is denying that changes should be made with regards to security but a wall that big is a massive undertaking with little return.

?

Where does it say the Democrats are going to fund it?

Some funding news...

Sen Dianne Feinstein‏Verified account @SenFeinstein 31m31 minutes ago
More
BREAKING: Senate Appropriations Committee just voted to restore vital funding for the UN climate change panel—a big victory. #ActOnClimate

If I were the GOP, I'd be very scared that Trump might realize that Democrat policy is much more popular than Republican policy.

Doing Republican policy over the last 8 months has brought him nothing but bad press. He tries Democrat policy one time, and gets good press.

Going to be a weird couple of years if Chuck and Nancy are able to keep buttering Trump up to do Democrat things.

pigeon

Banned
I'm not joking when I say I think democratic officials read this board when their slogan for 2018 came out. They released the original, we picked it apart and then reformed it, and then soon after they released the new version that was nearly identical to what we had done. Every argument we had with it was taken into account and addressed. It was bizarrely coincidental.

This is not evidence of them reading this board, it's evidence that our political analysis skills are approximately as good as a mediocre focus group.

Can someone briefly explain what repealing the debt ceiling means?
The Post article explains it well enough...

The U.S. government spends more money than it brings in through taxes and fees, and it covers that gap by issuing debt to borrow money. The government can only borrow money up to a certain limit, known as the debt limit or the debt ceiling. The government routinely bumps up against this ceiling, requiring Congress to raise it again and again. These votes are often politicized and can cause panic among investors.

If the debt ceiling isn't raised, investors have warned that the stock market could crash because the government could fall behind on its obligations if it isn't allowed to borrow more money.

Instead of having to take those votes over and over again, the idea is to tie raising the debt ceiling automatically when a budget is passed or Congress appropriates any future spending.

i.e. stop holding the full faith and credit of the United States hostage for political reasons every time a damned debt ceiling vote is required which is what the GOP has been doing for years during the Obama administration. The Freedom caucus in particular loves to try and throw monkey wrenches in debt ceiling votes by trying to exact as many spending cuts as possible.

ShOcKwAvE

If I were the GOP, I'd be very scared that Trump might realize that Democrat policy is much more popular than Republican policy.

Doing Republican policy over the last 8 months has brought him nothing but bad press. He tries Democrat policy one time, and gets good press.

Going to be a weird couple of years if Chuck and Nancy are able to keep buttering Trump up to do Democrat things.

Agreed. Dems have also seen backlash from having a "never-Trump" mentality. It's more popular than Rs in general, but still viewed as partisan. If you convert Trump or at least move him to the middle, you may hurt your '18 arguments but you also avoid the constant battling on every issue.

pigeon

Banned
This weeks cover

This shit is making me bitchcrackers. Don't put the unpopular losing presidential candidate on the cover of Time magazine for not having done anything since the election.

Can someone briefly explain what repealing the debt ceiling means?

America borrows money by issuing bonds, for which we rely on a law passed during World War I that authorized such bonds.

This law contained a limit on how much cash could be raised by selling bonds. So every so often we hit that limit and can't legally sell any more bonds. Congress then has to pass a law to raise the ceiling so that we can go back to selling bonds.

This is quite important because, like any large debtor, a good portion of America's borrowing is done to finance paying off or "rolling" previous debt. If we were unable to sell bonds, we would rapidly begin defaulting on America's financial obligations more or less at random. This would be very bad for the world economy and for us specifically.

If we got rid of the debt ceiling, we wouldn't keep having to raise the ceiling. It would have no impact on anything else, since the reason we sell bonds is to finance spending that Congress has already voted for. It would just eliminate an unnecessary vote which, if it fails, would destroy everything.

This is not evidence of them reading this board, it's evidence that our political analysis skills are approximately as good as a mediocre focus group.

Ouch, I'd prefer to think we're slightly better than the average focus group.

EDIT: I know it'd never happen, but it'd be hilarious if the Democrats convinced Trump that surmounting Obama's legacy didn't mean removing it, but one-upping it. Trump does what Obama can't.

Bladelaw

You know what? Fuck it, if Pelosi and Schumer need to stroke Donny's ego to actually accomplish anything while (R)'s continue to obstruct (themselves at this point) then fine stroke away. With any luck the damage trump can do will be blunted by a disgruntled base.

Schumer being EXACTLY the kind of guy whose respect and approval Trump has lusted after his entire life isn't something I realized would come into play when he got the minority leader's job, but damned if it isn't true.

Maybe Chuck can stop Trump from acting like a Nazi.

If Trump would stop being a Nazi, it would be easier for me to feel comfortable with the Democrats going full steam ahead working with Trump.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom