• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT6| Made this thread during Harvey because the ratings would be higher

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ogodei

Maybe? The image of the Democrats and their legislation being popular and successful could help them a lot as well.

"Trump plus dems" would be exactly the message that Heitkamp, Tester, Donnelly, Manchin and McCaskill need. Could only help Brown, Baldwin, and Casey too (though i was never really worried about them).

A few non-shitty Trump wins delivered with help from moderate Dems would be huge for them and defuse the natural 2018 narrative for their Republican opponents (that they're standing in the way of Making America Great Again).

Crocodile

DJH5P53VAAAdQSd.jpg

Going to be a bit craven, but if Dems pass DACA, it will likely energize republican voters for 2018, no? You can count on master bloviators like Limbaugh and Hannity to energize the base when it comes to immigration (amnesty!!!). They will also be energized to come out to vote against the the GOP leadership who brought the vote to floor.

Going to be a bit craven, but if Dems pass DACA, it will likely energize republican voters for 2018, no? You can count on master bloviators like Limbaugh and Hannity to energize the base when it comes to immigration (amnesty!!!). They will also be energized to come out to vote against the the GOP leadership who brought the vote to floor.
Dems aren't going to pass anything. If it passes it's because republicans supported it and trump signed off

It doesn't energize your base when they do things they don't like. It depresses turnout

Diablos

Man, HW looks and sounds really rough

I could listen to Obama talk for hours. I got nostalgic listening to him say words for 5 seconds.
Seriously I got emotional

But it's pretty cool they're coming together to do this

And yes HW not looking good at all. I'm glad he was able to contribute

jtb

Banned
to be fair, Schumer is probably as much of a hound for press coverage and attention as Trump is. He's finally met his match.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
If the dumbofucks don't do something and capitalize on this shit NOW they can go fuck off. Play up to his ego, cozy up, all that shit. It's obvious.

edit: Also I know I work in finance, which is dysfunctional, but have none of you had an absolute lovefest with someone you HATE? I've had that. It's the best. OMG teach me everything about you, person I hate. OHH NOOO how could i teach you anything you are so good, person I hate in return? Over prosecco or pinot grigio if you are REALLY trashing it up.

Chumly

With Irma I think we will be facing a need for hundreds of billions of dollars for disaster recovery. Seriously it's going to be mind boggling. Especially when you factor in Harvey and the wildfires out west.

It's going to be funny af if establishment republicans start bashing Trump for this leading him to do more things in spite of them. 2018 comes along and Dems win congress without Trump caring. All of a sudden Trump is signing every bit of legislation put in front of him and is lapping up the positive coverage. It's going to be so annoying and probably the greatest spin job of all time when Trump loyalists rationalize all of this as his plan all along...

Subjected myself to talk radio on the ride home, and the host was pretty angry with Trump cozying up to dems. The callers all tried to spin it as 4D chess lol

Subjected myself to talk radio on the ride home, and the host was pretty angry with Trump cozying up to dems. The callers all tried to spin it as 4D chess lol
It's funny because I doubt the average Trump voter's opinion is going to change much no matter what he does, but the people who are paying attention are going to be pissed. Unfortunately for them, the average voter doesn't pay attention, which they used to play to their advantage as talk radio was their only source of news.

I can't fuckin breathe.

His base WANTS the democratic agenda. Infrastructure, health care, safety net. They just want it from Trump and not Obama.

All the pieces are in place. If the gop stays in deer-in-the-headlights mode (the last eight months suggest they might!) Schumer and Pelosi can get him to give a good portion of all of it.

Remember when it was the republicans who were trying to race against time to pass their legislative agenda before the Mueller investigation blows everything wide open?

wWgtddu.gif

(yes I know this could all come crashing down at any time, just give me this moment)

They might support parts of a democratic agenda, but they are close to paleoconservatives than anything. The support of safety net is more of it benefiting themselves, but they are unlikely to support expanding it because it supports people other than them. They also support extremely undemocratic things too. They want a democratic one to a point, but it is not that simple.

Trump doing whatever Nancy and Schumer want won't help his numbers with his parts of his base and with Republicans in general because it means granting amnesty( DACA), protecting Obamacare, and getting rid of the debt ceiling without cuts( but I doubt they care much about that).

The only reason that some of his supporters might support his move to deal with the Democrats is because they foolishly believe that Trump will get important legislation from the deal.

I tentatively rescind some of the meanER things I've said about Schumer. Harry Reid, for all his shrewdness and skill, probably couldn't have capitalized upon this opportunity. One brusque phone call, a Reid trademark, would've gotten us months of Trump bitching about "Dirty Harry."

I also wouldn't be surprised if some Republicans secretly long for another Pelosi speakership. They get to bitch rather than govern and can again use one of their favorite scapegoats.

Vimes

They might support parts of a democratic agenda, but they are close to paleoconservatives than anything. The support of safety net is more of it benefiting themselves, but they are unlikely to support expanding it because it supports people other than them. They also support extremely undemocratic things too. They want a democratic one to a point, but it is not that simple.

Trump doing whatever Nancy and Schumer want won't help his numbers with his parts of his base and with Republicans in general because it means granting amnesty( DACA), protecting Obamacare, and getting rid of the debt ceiling without cuts( but I doubt they care much about that).

The only reason that some of his supporters might support his move to deal with the Democrats is because they foolishly believe that Trump will get important legislation from the deal.

I think you're overestimating the degree to which Trump voters will check the receipts.

See:

I think you're overestimating the degree to which Trump voters will check the receipts.

See:

Kinda prove my point though.

4D chess is just thinking Trump has some master plan to get his agenda done, but we all know that Trump doesn't plan.

edit: Also I know I work in finance, which is dysfunctional, but have none of you had an absolute lovefest with someone you HATE? I've had that. It's the best. OMG teach me everything about you, person I hate. OHH NOOO how could i teach you anything you are so good, person I hate in return? Over prosecco or pinot grigio if you are REALLY trashing it up.

I could not endure this. Perhaps this is why you are successful and I am a not. I may be a penniless urchin, who does his dishes in the shower to save water, but at least I have principles!

second night in a row hannity is burying turtle and his cronies. this so so fucking good yall. sung praise to trump's deal working with dems (emphasis on it being trump's idea because he's a deal maker).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom