• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT6| Made this thread during Harvey because the ratings would be higher

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hillary was plenty qualified, but she probably never becomes a leading Presidential candidate (in either 2008 or 2016) if not for the last name she adopted and the connections and attention that came with being the spouse of a President.

You have no way of knowing that.

Because her life is completely different without being married to Bill.

She put her career on hold for him.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
American dynasties are an outcome, not a cause. I have no problem with dynasties, I have a problem with the political system that puts the children of the wealthy at an enormous advantage when it comes to the political pipeline. This is particularly obvious in the judiciary, with the Ivy undergrad -> ivy law w/ SCOTUS clerk experience -> no actual life experience --> ??? -> SCOTUS path that has become the norm, particularly among Republicans. (Looking at you Gorsuch, you fuck)

I broadly agree with this, but I think as a rule of thumb, being hostile towards dynastic candidates is one of a number of ways in which we can enforce the general norm that politics should not be a game of 'who you know'. Encouraging an innate skepticism of dynastic politics and the revolving doors of children, spouses, and siblings is one step towards a broader skepticism of favoured candidates in general.

The dynasty complaint has never made sense to me since it claims people get ahead in politics because of their names instead of the actual truth which is people frequently go into industries that they're familiar with. Nobody bats an eye when an athlete's kid does well in the sport because we all know the kid started planning for that pretty early.

Is it really surprising that the children of HW Bush got into politics? Is it really surprising that two people with similar career goals in mind fell in love?

If my relatives were people like Jack Kennedy who I was proud of, I'd also try to get into that same career field.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
The dynasty complaint has never made sense to me since it claims people get ahead in politics because of their names instead of the actual truth which is people frequently go into industries that they're familiar with. Nobody bats an eye when an athlete's kid does well in the sport because we all know the kid started planning for that pretty early.

Is it really surprising that the children of HW Bush got into politics? Is it really surprising that two people with similar career goals in mind fell in love?

If my relatives were people like Jack Kennedy who I was proud of, I'd also try to get into that same career field.

Everyone wants a "Mr Smith goes to Washington"

I'd probably be a medical worker since all of my relatives that I love worked in hospitals, but I feint at the sight of blood coming from veins lol

Because sins of the husband are forcefully connected to the wife.

We don't know what she'd have achieved of she never married Bill for example

Not for certain. But she was never an especially charismatic politician. There's little reason to believe that she would have equaled her achievements (two term Senator, SOS, leading Presidential candidate twice, winner of popular vote) in a different world where she doesn't have easy access to the limelight or the same institutional support.

The Graham-Cassidy Trumpcare bill is supposed to roll out tomorrow.
Good thing Bernie's Medicare for All bill comes out on Wednesday.

Especially since Trump will agree to it because of something he said in 1999, and then it'll become the de facto policy of the Republican Party. Paul Ryan and Mitch McConnell will only grimace as they're forced to pass it on unanimous votes.

I understand how politics works.

jtb

Banned
I think a lot about how sports fandom and economics is inherently reactionary, and how that bleeds into our culture and politics.

And, with all the horrible shit in gaming since - well, since forever, I wonder if videogame culture will play a similar - if not worse - role with younger generations.

Not for certain. But she was never an especially charismatic politician. There's little reason to believe that she would have equaled her achievements (two term Senator, SOS, leading Presidential candidate twice, winner of popular vote) in a different world where she doesn't have easy access to the limelight or the same institutional support.

We have no way of knowing.

We do know that she was the bread winner of the two though.

I think a lot about how sports fandom and economics is inherently reactionary, and how that bleeds into our culture and politics.

And, with all the horrible shit in gaming since - well, since forever, I wonder if videogame culture will play a similar - if not worse - role with younger generations.

Gaming threads that get a bit politic make me nauseous with some of the shit I read.

Trouble

Banned
Good thing Bernie's Medicare for All bill comes out on Wednesday.

Especially since Trump will agree to it because of something he said in 1999, and then it'll become the de facto policy of the Republican Party. Paul Ryan and Mitch McConnell will only grimace as they're forced to pass it on unanimous votes.

I understand how politics works.

I want to see this happen now.

Mr.Mike

It's a slow news day, isn't it.

Here's some hot takes for discussion.

Governments should use, develop and contribute to open-source software. Imagine instead of every country developing their own software systems for taxes, health records etc, there would be one or maybe a handful of solid implementations. This would reduce duplication of efforts globally and the open-source implementation, with its concentration of efforts, would probably be higher quality than the typical implementation currently. You might also view it as a form of aids for governments of poorer countries/states/cities who now have access to high-quality software that is probably much easier for them to put into practice. This is something that could be done at any level of government.

Instead of letting Silicon Valley constantly reinvent public transit cities should make an app where you can see where buses are currently, and shit like that.

911 emergency services should take advantage of all the extra functionality of smart phones. Perhaps you could have a system where mashing buttons on your phone triggers your phone to start streaming as much info as possible to 911 dispatchers in addition with putting you on a call. (Video from both cameras, GPS, accelerometer, mic etc). This might also be a boon for reliable evidence, especially in traumatic situations where first-hand testimony can be unreliable or imprecise.

The general theme I guess is that the public sector hasn't really fully taken advantage of the technology we have now while the private sector is throwing money at every dumb tech startup under the sun.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I am astounded by the willful ignore of people on the whole pied piper memo from HRC's campaign.

Anything to avoid the fact the US is more filled with hate, that their neighbors and family are far more racist and sexist, than they thought. Anything to avoid looking at America for what it really is, to avoid having their imagined vision of America and it's people shattered.

barber

Governments should use, develop and contribute to open-source software. Imagine instead of every country developing their own software systems for taxes, health records etc, there would be one or maybe a handful of solid implementations. This would reduce duplication of efforts globally and the open-source implementation, with its concentration of efforts, would probably be higher quality than the typical implementation currently. You might also view it as a form of aids for governments of poorer countries/states/cities who now have access to high-quality software that is probably much easier for them to put into practice. This is something that could be done at any level of government.

Instead of letting Silicon Valley constantly reinvent public transit cities should make an app where you can see where buses are currently, and shit like that.

911 emergency services should take advantage of all the extra functionality of smart phones. Perhaps you could have a system where mashing buttons on your phone triggers your phone to start streaming as much info as possible to 911 dispatchers in addition with putting you on a call. (Video from both cameras, GPS, accelerometer, mic etc). This might also be a boon for reliable evidence, especially in traumatic situations where first-hand testimony can be unreliable or imprecise.

The general theme I guess is that the public sector hasn't really fully taken advantage of the technology we have now while the private sector is throwing money at every dumb tech startup under the sun.

I actually had conversations with some guys from a swedish public service and starts ups about the importance of open source and why using it would be a plus (starts ups) and why it would be dangerous (public service). The main problem is that public service has normally a really bad code that has been made to be retrocompatible with everything before, so the task of "opening" it would require an enormous amount of man hours and the fears of having the code open for everyone to see and easily find more holes (but it would also be easier to find them and fix them with an opensource). So basically, most programs need a major overhaul and the government is pretty much adverse to anything that could potentially lead to leaks of information.
About the 911 I thought most smartphones nowadays stream your gps location? the other data is pretty much worthless

Anything to avoid the fact the US is more filled with hate, that their neighbors and family are far more racist and sexist, than they thought. Anything to avoid looking at America for what it really is, to avoid having their imagined vision of America and it's people shattered.

I'm of the opinion that Hillary ran a very bad campaign but trying to tie viable candidates to supposedly non viable primary candidates in the general is not controversial.

I think I agree with this, maybe with the caveat that anything in such systems should be easily backed by the government in case of some electronic crime (EG free identity theft protection in all cases of an open source voting registration system having an exploit discovered).

I'm a hardcore Democrat, but man, government code blows. It's like if my grandfather tried to design a lot of it after like 1 class in Java.

Ogodei

Because sins of the husband are forcefully connected to the wife.

We don't know what she'd have achieved of she never married Bill for example

Right, but there are a lot of "worthy," ambitious people out there, all vying for the small amount of fame and glory that can be doled out. I imagine many great politicians, movie stars, or rock stars could have been nobodies but for a single twist of fate, sometimes hinging on their talent, often hinging on their network. Bill was Hillary's network, in the beginning.

Some people of talent go far because they got a chance to. Some people never get that chance, despite strong skills and the right attitude.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I don't think her campaign was "bad." I think it was tailored to her. She didn't really want to campaign. She didn't like it.

I'm also not sure that her doing more active targeting of Bubbas, as Bill would call them, would have done much. All the traditional elements of a campaign she did pretty well EXCEPT for local campaigning I think. But she'd never be "their" candidate. She didn't want them and they didn't want her.

Nobody thought this was even going to be close after the last debate. I know it always tightens but let's be real. I don't know how much Comey sank her but it's possible it was the difference when the election was decided by less than 100k votes.

lmao.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/09/10/bannon-gop-primaries-mcconnell-trump-242522

President Donald Trump’s closest allies are planning a slate of primary challenges against Republican senators, potentially undermining the party’s prospects in 2018 and further inflaming tensions between GOP leaders and the White House.

The effort is being led by Steve Bannon, Trump’s bomb-throwing former chief strategist who is launching an all-out war against Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell and the Republican establishment. Bannon has begun holding private meetings with insurgent challengers, vowing his support. He’s coordinating with conservative mega-donor Robert Mercer, who is prepared to pour millions of dollars into attacks on GOP incumbents. Bannon has also installed a confidant at an outside group that is expected to target Republican lawmakers and push the Trump agenda.

Bannon is paying little heed to those warnings. On Thursday, he huddled with Danny Tarkanian, an attorney who is challenging Sen. Dean Heller (R-Nev.), at the Capitol Hill townhouse that serves as a base of operations for Breitbart News, the conservative website that Bannon oversees.

Bannon made it clear during the 30-minute meeting that Tarkanian had his full backing in the race against Heller, according to one person familiar with the conversation. Heller refused to endorse Trump during the 2016 campaign.

Two other senators could come under attack. Behind the scenes, Bannon has proposed the possibility of targeting Tennessee Sen. Bob Corker, and those close to the former Trump chief strategist are talking about the prospect of a challenge to Mississippi Sen. Roger Wicker.

Corker had long been considered a Trump ally and had been in the mix to become secretary of state, but has since angered the president's supporters with recent comments in which he questioned Trump’s competence. Shortly after Bannon left the White House and returned to Breitbart last month, the site published a story promoting a potential Corker challenger, state Sen. Mark Green. The site has also hyped the possibility that state Sen. Chris McDaniel, a tea party favorite, will take on Wicker.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
What's the difference?

You joke, but hoping that Bannon succeeds in replacing large swathes of Republicans with the devout as opposed to the craven is similar to hoping that Trump won the Republican primary because lol, all the easier for Clinton to win. The Republican Party is an institutional part of the American political system; the worse it is, the higher the decay of America.

You joke, but hoping that Bannon succeeds in replacing large swathes of Republicans with the devout as opposed to the craven is similar to hoping that Trump won the Republican primary because lol, all the easier for Clinton to win. The Republican Party is an institutional part of the American political system; the worse it is, the higher the decay of America.

It's already there. I don't expect anything from these people. They mostly all vote with Trump anyways. The worst thing they do is furl their brow. I have no confidence in any of them. They already voted for the AHCA. There's no functional difference if the Senate was full of Trump loyalists or not. They're getting what they bought.

jtb

Banned
July wasn't that long ago.

I don't understand the question.

Jeff Sessions is the very definition of a Bannon Republican.

He was already elected!

I'm not joking at all. This is Trump's party - legislatively, rhetorically, politically, etc.

It's already there. I don't expect anything from these people. They mostly all vote with Trump anyways. The worst thing they do is furl their brow. I have no confidence in any of them. They already voted for the AHCA. There's no functional difference if the Senate was full of Trump loyalists or not. They're getting what they bought.

This is mostly where I'm at. McDaniel would be a more outspoken piece of shit, but Cockring already votes with the GOP consistently anyway.

People need to stop giving any Republicans the benefit of the doubt; they're all as bad as any of the rest of them.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member

when Trump loses, the current set of Republicans will turn on him like hounds on a dying man. They have no loyalty to his ideology or his legacy, they're just riding the tiger in exchange for morsels. There remains a hope that America can return to a (relative) sanity.

If Trump loses, and the current set of Republicans have been replaced with true believers, this goes on forever.

What is Bob Corker doing that would make him any different than any random Bannonite?

If you want the Republican party to one day loosen some of their dysfunction, strengthening the fear that if you aren't lock step with white supremacy you will be primaried is not great for this country. What Bannon is doing is in line with current trends, but those are bad trends!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom