• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PolliGaf 2012 |OT5| Big Bird, Binders, Bayonets, Bad News and Benghazi

Status
Not open for further replies.

pigeon

Banned
Well if Romney's internals are correct...we are fucked

Question is if the internals are correct...why leak them

@fivethirtyeight said:
FYI: Internal polls released to the public have a 6-point bias, on average, as we saw in Wisconsin recall earlier this year.

So, five point lead for Obama in Ohio, three points in New Hampshire, four points in Iowa? Six points in PA and WI?

Sounds about right.

Yup.

Exclusive: Romney campaign internal polling puts Republican nominee up ONE POINT in Ohio and TIED in Pennsylvania and Wisconsin
I saw them at a certain mail that is put out daily.. google for it..

OH+1
NH+3
IA+2
down in NV
tied in WI & PA

Nothing on his internal VA and FL numbers? He's spending a lot of time here in VA, so I wonder what they have it at

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Can someone help me understand internal polls? Why would one campaign's internal polls be more (or less) credible than public polling companies?

Because they're always "accidentally" leaked and show a close race or a slight lead, which is supposed to motivate their own voters to come out and vote for them.

Can someone help me understand internal polls? Why would one campaign's internal polls be more (or less) credible than public polling companies?

Assumptions. If you make different assumptions about turnout, etc, that can completely change outcomes.

Assumptions underly every poll. The problem with internal polls is that they are highly likely to be biased (for obvious reasons). A lot of other polls are likely to be biased, which is why you look across the spectrum of every poll released to get the true tale.

Losing campaign tactics. No credible poll shows them in the lead, so they release cooked up internals.

McCain 2008 internal polls:
“Today John McCain is down one point in Iowa.”

He was citing an unreleased internal McCain campaign poll of the state, which was completed last Thursday, said Black.

“McCain is in a good position to win every red state,” Black said. “Plus he is probably going to win Pennsylvania and Iowa.”

Amir0x

Banned
Ol' Scarbs, I cannot wait to see him eat crow. I almost want to see him eat it more than anyone other than Gary O'Toole at my job.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

I'll just put out there what everyone knows - because they aren't the actual internal polling numbers, they're made up numbers to convince the base they are winning.

if Pennsylvania goes to Romney I'll shave my cats.
i6qAFA7BxzJD5.jpg

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Telling that libgaf has no answer to these credible polls showing Romney ahead in key swing states such as Ohio.

Also no wonder he's spending so much time in PA.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I guarantee these same idiots saying the polls are biased and wrong today will be saying the election was stolen come Wednesday, with nary a moment in between when their brains landed on the obvious conclusion.

I do think the polls aren't nearly accurate enough, but I won't say the election is stolen on Wednesday. I think our entire polling system needs to be fixed in a major way. I don't think there's a huge amount of chicanery above the norm, but I also don't trust it nearly enough. I'm sure most people feel the same way.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Telling that libgaf has no answer to these credible polls showing Romney ahead in key swing states such as Ohio.

Also no wonder he's spending so much time in PA.

No wonder Romney's speeches all say "When I am President" instead of "If."

I for one welcome our new Romney overlords

Averon

Campaigns have a history of "accidentally" leaking internal polls showing them in good shape. Pretty obvious this was a purposeful leak to control the last day of the media narrative.

I think there is a perception that people want to vote for the winner. They want to make people think he is going to win, so why vote against him.

norinrad

Mittens will be president tomorrow. America's sons will be sent into Syria to fight. 3 wars people. Repubs love invading other countries for giggles and Iran is next

Welp, I have some bad news. I know someone who's father's ex-wife's gay brother's lover secretly works for the Obama campaign and he has stated that Obama is down by 3 points in Ohio, 2 in Penn, and 1 in Virginia :(

GhaleonEB

I do think the polls aren't nearly accurate enough, but I won't say the election is stolen on Wednesday. I think our entire polling system needs to be fixed in a major way. I don't think there's a huge amount of chicanery above the norm, but I also don't trust it nearly enough. I'm sure most people feel the same way.

My big question come election day is, how are the exit polls being conducted?

With such a large proportion of the electorate voting early, the traditional exit polling methods simply won't capture what that electorate looks like. Especially since early voters and election day voters are often very different (as evidenced by Obama's early vote leads in states like Iowa and Ohio).

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
My big question come election day is, how are the exit polls being conducted?

With such a large proportion of the electorate voting early, the traditional exit polling methods simply won't capture what that electorate looks like. Especially since early voters and election day voters are often very different (as evidenced by Obama's early vote leads in states like Iowa and Ohio).

Yeah. And that's a question I can't answer. There's the people that are either living vicariously through someone else's politics and voting early (stop doing that!) or they're extremely energized and know their vote counts - then there's the large amount of citizens that don't even THINK about early voting, and just assume "welp, Election Day. Let's go." and never go that route. And to be honest, I think the "uhhh...I just vote on Election Day, isn't that always how it is?" are heavier Republicans because we're pretty set in our ways and pretty oblivious about better ways to do things :p

all the low-info voters in the OT severely constrain my ability to carry on a reasonable discussion

Still...no reason for 2 threads for tomorrow night. I don't know. I don't want to be checking two places!

Does everyone think that Election 2012 will crash GAF like a Nintendo conference might?

Angry Grimace

internal polls don't leak.

I have doubts that campaigns actually bother with credible internal polling any more, moreover, internal polls don't run polls on the last day before the election, they run them over a week out because they need to know where to buy ad time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom