• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT9| Too much shade can burn you...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
if I could only use the full gif

irly7ITosvvIm.gif

Vazduh

She looked incredible. Hopefully she doesn't take too long with new music, although I wonder whether she's still under contract with Dr. Luke? If she is, I can't imagine her not collaborating with Becky G's enabler.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Mau ®;112506559 said:
Billboard has uploaded a secret snippet of an instrumental. They say it's of a high-profile artist but will not reveal who.

Snippet

It's been rumoured that it's actually for Madonna.
While I am absolutely here for Godfessions pt. 2 this is a little bit too Rancid Awful Memory for my liking if it is Madge
Slé a bit Nicki, I'm here for her new stuff

Also

Siren.gif
HIDE YOUR WIGS, HIDE YOUR FAVES
Siren.gif

The first video from AOTY contender guarantee Do It Again is out, for Sayit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNu7_CAJ3uA

It goes without saying that it punches your faves clean out of the game. More electro than Do It Again for those who (incorrectly) felt that DIA was too poppy. I cannot waiT to see them at Latitude Festival. It will be religious.

Koodo

Banned
Fuck these buck-toothed inbreds not releasing their shit on time in Canada again. I'm sitting here perched for the pre-order to deliver Sayit.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Fuck that say it video for making me think my laptop was on the fritz
Song is decent but I'm a little disappointed there isnt more to it

I'm excited for Rihanna's new alber. I'd like to see her evolve artistically and I have a feeling this upcoming album might do that for her. My problem with her music/albums in the past is that I feel like the songs are so eclectic that they drown out any common thread. Although I feel like Unapologetic is a mediocre album musically, I do think it showcased a lot of potential. Talk That Talk was awful though, so I wanna see her move away from ratchet anthems with lazy delivery and sloppy writing and give me something more surprising. Gimme some craftsmanship girl. She has a great lower register so I wanna hear more songs taking advantage of it.

Phreaker

Fuck that say it video for making me think my laptop was on the fritz
Song is decent but I'm a little disappointed there isnt more to it

Yeah, that video had me thinking something was wrong at the pixelation part. However, the whole song kind of sounded like an intro to me. I was waiting for something to actually happen, but then it was over. Still, DIA is my jam atm.

Mau ®

Siren.gif
BREAK UP ALBUM OF OUR GENERATION NOW OUT
Siren.gif

coldplay_ghost_stories-t2-300x194.jpg

Coldplay's Ghost Stories is now out worldwide. Make sure to buy it and support good music.

Join all the relevant countries who are supporting good music:

Album: Ghost Stories

#1 United States (=)(+1)
#1 United Kingdom (=)(+1)
#1 Australia (=)(=)
#1 Austria (=)(=)
#1 Azerbaijan (=)(+2)
#1 Barbados (=)(+85)
#1 Belarus (=)(+1)
#1 Belgium (=)(=)
#1 Belize (=)(+72)
#1 Botswana (=)(+7)
#1 Brazil (=)(=)
#1 British Virgin Islands (=)(+3)
#1 Bulgaria (=)(+26)
#1 Canada (=)(+1)
#1 Cayman Islands (=)(+35)
#1 Cyprus (=)(+61)
#1 Czech Republic (=)(=)
#1 Denmark (=)(+2)
#1 Egypt (=)(+1)
#1 Estonia (=)(+2)
#1 Fiji (=)(=)
#1 Finland (=)(=)
#1 France (=)(+3)
#1 Germany (=)(=)
#1 Greece (=)(+3)
#1 Hungary (=)(+1)
#1 India (=)(+1)
#1 Indonesia (+1)(+1)
#1 Ireland (=)(=)
#1 Israel (=)(=)
#1 Italy (=)(=)
#1 Jordan (=)(+4)
#1 Kazakhstan (=)(+31)
#1 Kenya (=)(+3)
#1 Latvia (=)(+3)
#1 Lebanon (=)(=)
#1 Lithuania (=)(=)
#1 Luxembourg (=)(=)
#1 Malaysia (+1)(+4)
#1 Malta (=)(=)
#1 Mauritius (=)(+1)
#1 Mexico (=)(+2)
#1 Moldova (=)(+1)
#1 Mongolia (=)(+118)
#1 Mozambique (=)(+1)
#1 Namibia (=)(+1)
#1 Netherlands (=)(=)
#1 New Zealand (=)(=)
#1 Nigeria (=)(+1)
#1 Norway (=)(=)
#1 Papua New Guinea (=)(=)
#1 Paraguay (+9)(+3)
#1 Poland (=)(=)
#1 Portugal (=)(=)
#1 Qatar (=)(=)
#1 Romania (=)(+3)
#1 Russia (=)(+3)
#1 Saint Kitts and Nevis (=)(+187)
#1 Saudi Arabia (=)(+2)
#1 Singapore (+1)(+1)
#1 Slovakia (=)(+1)
#1 Slovenia (=)(=)
#1 South Africa (=)(=)
#1 Spain (+2)(+2)
#1 Sweden (=)(+4)
#1 Switzerland (=)(=)
#1 Taiwan (+2)(+2)
#1 Trinidad and Tobago (=)(+2)
#1 Turkey (=)(+6)
#1 Uganda (=)(+31)
#1 Ukraine (=)(=)
#1 United Arab Emirates (=)(=)
#1 Vietnam (=)(=)
#1 Zimbabwe (=)(+55)
#2 Antigua and Barbuda (=)(+165)
#2 Argentina (+1)(=)
#2 Armenia (-1)(+193)
#2 Bahrain (-1)(+141)
#2 Bermuda (-1)(NE)
#2 Brunei Darussalam (=)(=)
#2 Costa Rica (+1)(=)
#2 El Salvador (-1)(+20)
#2 Honduras (+1)(+1)
#2 Kyrgyzstan (=)(+68)
#2 Peru (=)(+1)
#2 Philippines (+2)(+3)
#2 Sri Lanka (+93)(+77)
#2 Thailand (+1)(+1)
#3 Chile (=)(-2)
#3 Hong Kong (+2)(+2)
#3 Oman (-2)(+61)
#4 Macau (=)(=)
#5 Ecuador (=)(-1)
#5 Guatemala (-3)(+3)
#5 Uzbekistan (-2)(+125)
#6 Colombia (+1)(+1)
#6 Panama (+5)(+1)
#6 Venezuela (-3)(=)
#7 Bolivia (+14)(+4)
#7 Japan (+2)(+2)
#8 Nicaragua (=)(+21)
#9 The Bahamas (-1)(+108)

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
to be fair i'd probably break up with chris martin if he carried on making music that bad

[edit] now i feel quite mean

[edit2] not available on spotify? yeah i guess that makes sense i mean coldplay must be really starving for money.

ibqPzfqRS1cCA2.gif

Mau ®

to be fair i'd probably break up with chris martin if he carried on making music that bad

[edit] now i feel quite mean

[edit2] not available on spotify? yeah i guess that makes sense i mean coldplay must be really starving for money.

ibqPzfqRS1cCA2.gif

Rude.

But who is surprised?

ibqPzfqRS1cCA2.gif

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
It's probably an artistic statement.

And when it appears on Spotify in a few months time when sales have died down a bit I'm sure that will be an artistic statement, too.
8f70c6ea.gif

Fey

Banned
Mau ®;112589827 said:
It's Madonna. Katy did mention being sore from "all those positions" :eli:

Madonna about to steal Katy's youth :(

yasss the last times she stole some youth, we got confessions, blackout, back to basics, and fame monster.

royalan

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSS
this heaux is on fire

It's funny: what Nicki Minaj is doing now is exactly what Gaga should have done a year ago.

Nicki rode that loud Barbie image all the way to Pop relevancy, but cashed out right before the public got TOO sick of it. Now, she's getting a ton of buzz just for dressing down and looking--ironically--closer to what her actual style is.

Gaga could have started doing that a year ago and got MASSIVE buzz from it, just due to her being a bigger star. But if she did it now the public simply wouldn't care enough.

It's funny: what Nicki Minaj is doing now is exactly what Gaga should have done a year ago.

Nicki rode that loud Barbie image all the way to Pop relevancy, but cashed out right before the public got TOO sick of it. Now, she's getting a ton of buzz just for dressing down and looking--ironically--closer to what her actual style is.

Gaga could have started doing that a year ago and got MASSIVE buzz from it, just due to her being a bigger star. But if she did it now the public simply wouldn't care enough.

Gaga stopped keeping her hand on the public pulse a year ago... it feels to me like the only gateway into public perception she remotely uses these days is through second-hand feedback from her fans.

Three possible outcomes from Gaga's behavior at the moment: 1) She continues feeding her fans and carving a niche for herself that removes her from mainstream relevance but retains her cult following, ala Cyndi Lauper, 2) Her continued focus on releasing music to radio could lead to possible major hits down the road, elevating her to and from mainstream relevancy depending on chart success, or 3) She realizes that she can't call herself a pop culture provocateur if she's not an active participant in it and refocuses on making her music more progressive and mainstream-oriented.

Mau ®

I dont think Gaga will ever change her ways. She makes sure of this by surrounding herself with people who will always tell her everything she does is perfect.

And anyone who tells her otherwise is "a traitor".

3phemeral

Problem is that Gaga linked her identity and self-worth to her costumes, so any attempt at "dressing down" would have been considered a huge contradiction of message. More so than she usually is. I don't think Nicki ever really infused any meaning into what she did other than it being an aesthetic. I mean, she calls her fans the Barbs for that very reason. I doubt it could have worked for Gaga.

tmarques

Which is what Madonna did almost 30 years ago and remains her most important lesson to future generations of pop stars. It's amazing that Gaga out of all people failed to grasp that.

Speaking of Madonna and Gaga, am I the only one who thinks it's funny that after taking a huge dump on Gaga Madonna is going around giving her blessing to (arguably) less-talented girls like Cyrus and Perry? It feels almost like a deliberate slap in the face.

Becky G - Shower (Lyric Video)

Will the curse ever stop?

Can we discuss how Kimbra is slaying with visuals this era?
10330433_10154093976415401_42880342377306551_n.jpg

I'm here for the new Kimbra era. It seems that not all of her fans are here for it though, some just want her to release Vows 2.0

They'll have to deal for a bit though.

Change ain't always welcome but I'm thankful for a fan base that are down to get freaky w me from time to time. It's gonna be quite a ride! Jump on board kids!

Which is what Madonna did almost 30 years ago and remains her most important lesson to future generations of pop stars. It's amazing that Gaga out of all people failed to grasp that.

Speaking of Madonna and Gaga, am I the only one who thinks it's funny that after taking a huge dump on Gaga Madonna is going around giving her blessing to (arguably) less-talented girls like Cyrus and Perry? It feels almost like a deliberate slap in the face.

Coz it is.

Of all the "blessings" and support Madonna has given to female artists in the past, none of them have been towards women who were a perceived threat to her. She never saw Britney or Christina as a threat. She doesn't see Cyrus as one either. But she saw Whitney as one, Janet as one. Her behavior toward Gaga is reminscent of her behavior during those women's prime and it's because she doesn't really group her with the other girls. That's my opinion at least.

The only thing more intimidating than a rival being good at the things you're bad at is a rival who's good at the things you're good at.

Coz it is.

Of all the "blessings" and support Madonna has given to female artists in the past, none of them have been towards women who were a perceived threat to her. She never saw Britney or Christina as a threat. She doesn't see Cyrus as one either. But she saw Whitney as one, Janet as one. Her behavior toward Gaga is reminscent of her behavior during those women's prime and it's because she doesn't really group her with the other girls. That's my opinion at least.

The only thing more intimidating than a rival being good at the things you're bad at is a rival that's good at the things you're good at.

Pretty much.

iJATODWfiDtME.gif

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Or maybe it's because Gaga had made a career out of shamelessly stealing Madonna's swag, denying that she ever did, and getting prissy when people call her out on it?

If I was Madge I probably wouldn't be much interested in giving Gaga my blessings either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom