• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT9| Too much shade can burn you...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or maybe it's because Gaga had made a career out of shamelessly stealing Madonna's swag, denying that she ever did, and getting prissy when people call her out on it?

If I was Madge I probably wouldn't be much interested in giving Gaga my blessings either.

Gaga's lifted from Madonna just as much as Britney, Christina and Rihanna have. Everyone's lifted from Madonna, because Madonna's clocked in decades of innovative music and outfits that she lifted her-fucking-self.

If people choose to notice Gaga's similarities to Madonna more than anyone else, it's because a Gaga comparison makes for a more interesting, substantial storyline. And it's because she's the only member of pop's new class that wouldn't be blown out the ass by Madonna in a matchup scenario.

Fey

Banned
lady-gaga-madonna.jpg

2009 Interview said:
When asked if she feels at all threatened by the comparisons, Madonna said, “No, I’m very flattered.”

2009 Interview said:
I think Lady Gaga is great. When we saw her, I actually felt a kind of recognition. I thought, “She’s got something.” There’s something quirky about her. She’s fearless and funny, and when she spoke to the audience, she sounded intelligent and clever. She’s unique.

... I can see myself in Lady Gaga. In the early part of my career, for sure. When I saw her, she didn’t have a lot of money for her production, she’s got holes in her fishnets, and there’s mistakes everywhere. It was kind of a mess, but I can see that she’s got that It factor. It’s nice to see that at a raw stage.

2012 Interview said:
“When I first saw her, I saw her performing at a very small club in Manhattan a couple of years ago, maybe it was like three years ago,” she said. “I was actually really impressed by her. I thought she was really cool and she did remind me of me back in the day. I liked her rawness and there was something fresh about there and ballsy, and when she spoke to the audience, she sounded like she had a similar sense of humor to me, quite ironic, and I liked her. So I do think she is very talented.”

2012 Interview said:
“I certainly think she references me a lot in her work. And sometimes I think it’s amusing and flattering and well-done,” she said, later adding that she thinks Gaga is “a very talented artist” and that she’s making a “statement about taking something that was in the zeitgeist, you know, 20 years ago and turning it inside out and reinterpreting it.”

c67397f2806fb267b125408b196030ca.jpg

Are these really that bad? Did she really not give Gaga her "blessing"? She made a surprise appearance on SNL with her. She's said Gaga reminds her of herself. She's said Gaga is extremely talented and unique. But who cares she said Born This Way was reductive she hates her.

And are we really surprised Madonna isn't as close to Gaga as she is to Britney, Katy, Miley, etc.?

2013 Interview said:
‘I think she’s more aggravated that I’m not upset that she doesn’t like me. ‘Cause I don’t care that she doesn’t like me… No, I don’t care… It’s such nonsense.

‘[Attacks from people like Perez Hilton are] really rooted in Madonna, that’s the centre of it.

I don’t want your f**king throne, no thanks, I have my own.’

2013 Interview said:
'And as a punk-rocker from New York, I've basically been hoping that I would become so good that one day I would p*** off Madonna!’

Gaga said last year: ‘That doesn't make me feel good at all. That just makes me feel like I'm not a good human being ... I don't even want to fight back because it's more important to me to keep writing music.
‘Because that's really all I care about, is the music ... things are really different than they were 25 years ago, and that's what makes 'Born This Way' so relevant for me. We're socially in a different place and it's OK, we don't have to all slice and hate each other anymore.’

She blames Madonna for the negative comments Gaga receives. She's happy at the thought of getting Madonna pissed. She accuses Madonna of thinking of Gaga while performing and not her fans because of the BTW/EY mashup. She denies being inspired by her when it's clear she has been.

Madonna has said shady things, but they were more tongue-in-cheek, and she's always complimented her in every interview about her. She even asked Gaga to perform with her on her tour. Gaga, on the other hand, has made outright rude comments towards her. Meanwhile, Katy, Britney, and Miley have always been positive about Madonna.

But yeah, you guys are right. Madonna's jealous and threatened by Gaga. She wishes she had an album as successful as Born This Way or ARTPOP.

royalan

IMO Christina's the one who most closely tried to replicate Madonna's career

How so?

Madonna never had a good girl era.

Or a Jazz/Big Band "Let's take it back to the roots" era, either.

Christina follows The School of Madge in the sense that she made in-your-face feminism a cornerstone of her gig; I think she represented a similar thing that Madonna did among the Pop landscape of her prime (i.e. the Bad Girl among floating in the middle of a sea full of perfect Pop Princesses, a torch that would later be passed to Rihanna); and they both did the Madonna/Blonde Bombshell thing for an era. But musically I don't think they're that similar.

To me Gaga still takes the cake as the pop star most guilty of DIRECTLY ripping Madonna.

tmarques

Or maybe it's because Gaga had made a career out of shamelessly stealing Madonna's swag, denying that she ever did, and getting prissy when people call her out on it?

If I was Madge I probably wouldn't be much interested in giving Gaga my blessings either.

I think the straw that broke the camel's back was Gaga lying that Madonna had sent her an email giving Born This Way her blessing. Stupid thing to do. Gaga probably thought that since Madonna had been supportive of her in the past, she'd go along with the lie.

How so?

Madonna never had a good girl era.

Or a Jazz/Big Band "Let's take it back to the roots" era, either.

Christina follows The School of Madge in the sense that she made in-your-face feminism a cornerstone of her gig; I think she represented a similar thing that Madonna did among the Pop landscape of her prime (i.e. the Bad Girl among floating in the middle of a sea full of perfect Pop Princesses, a torch that would later be passed to Rihanna); and they both did the Madonna/Blonde Bombshell thing for an era. But musically I don't think they're that similar.

To me Gaga still takes the cake as the pop star most guilty of DIRECTLY ripping Madonna.

Not Myself Tonight (the video) is the most blatant Madonna ripoff so far. Even the Born This Way single doesn't touch that level of emulation.

And Fey, are you seriously suggesting that Gaga's the antagonist in that scenario, even though Madonna's "Reductive" line made waves for months and then reverted to shading her obtusely on her tour? Gaga didn't even react until she was pressed for months by the media about it. C'mon now sis.

royalan

Not Myself Tonight (the video) is the most blatant Madonna ripoff so far. Even the Born This Way single doesn't touch that level of emulation.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You ratchet Gaga stans! Either Legendtina was copying Gaga or Madonna. You can't have both.

Anyway, the Not Myself Tonight video is a clear homage to Madonna. Christina even said as much whenever she was asked.

The biggest rippoff is Gaga literally styling herself like young Madonna during the Monster Ball Tour.

yes, Hanky Panky went top 10 with no promo

I need to listen to this album again, but my impression was that it wasn't as serious a take on classic Jazz influences and sounds as Back to Basics was.

Aguila

#ICONIC
The best Madonna impersonator is God Ferreira-

sky-ferreira-madonna-v-magazine1.jpg

-whose single, I Blame Myself, was sent to radio today. Request it at your local radio station xoxo

!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You ratchet Gaga stans! Either Legendtina was copying Gaga or Madonna. You can't have both.

Anyway, the Not Myself Tonight video is a clear homage to Madonna. Christina even said as much whenever she was asked.

The biggest rippoff is Gaga literally styling herself like young Madonna during the Monster Ball Tour.

Lol, I just love giving you shit. :p

Honestly the biggest problem with all of this is that the source material these girls are ripping off isn't even that good. Sorry Madge.

Fey

Banned
And Fey, are you seriously suggesting that Gaga's the antagonist in that scenario, even though Madonna's "Reductive" line made waves for months and then reverted to shading her obtusely on her tour? Gaga didn't even react until she was pressed for months by the media about it. C'mon now sis.

Uh yeah. Are you telling me the side that shoots comments like, ”And obviously: someone should take there old lady meds before they are allowed to talk in public. No memories having motherf—er.” isn't in the wrong? Since 2009 up to today, Madonna's been supportive of Gaga. Every interview where she's been asked about Gaga has had supportive compliments. The fact that she invited Gaga to do the EY/BTW mashup performance with her live tells me that the move was nothing more than something to generate buzz and headlines.

Did you watch the whole interview where she called BTW reductive? That was the one negative comment she made about Gaga in that interview, and spent the rest of the time where she talks about Gaga complimenting her.

Like can anyone give me some proof apart from "Reductive" and the supposedly mega shady BTW/EY mashup where Madonna's been asked about Gaga and has been outright rude and insulting? Because there are interviews where the opposite is true.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Lol, I just love giving you shit. :p

Honestly the biggest problem with all of this is that the source material these girls are ripping off isn't even that good. Sorry Madge.
What kind of disrespectful Little Monster lies.

Madonna basically invented being a woman. Show some damn respect.

tmarques

Mau ®;112632211 said:
Gaga had to agree to Born This Way being featured on the MDNA Tour. Gaga invites the drama as well lbr.

Did she? I'm pretty sure you can't stop anyone from performing your song as long as they are paying.

Zutroy

Can't believe Jlo's performance got paid dust. Damn she can move and the vocals were solid too! Even at 44 and a mother of twins, she's more energetic than all our faves.

SaintZ

Lana is performing at KimYe's wedding
There can’t be many women in the world who have turned down hip hop star Kanye West. But Lana Del Rey has remarkably been given another shot.

After saying “Nope” to Yeezy’s request for her to perform live at his proposal to Kim Kardashian back in October, the Video Games star has now relented and will be singing at The Wedding Of The Century on Saturday.

The sultry popstar, 27, will be flown out to Paris for Kimye’s extravagant chateau shindig, bagging a tidy ­six-figure sum – a mere drop in the ocean for a wedding that is said to be costing £3million.

And it seems even selfie-obsessed Kim , 33, won’t mind sharing the spotlight on the day, as Lana will sing Young and Beautiful – one of the reality star’s favourite songs.

Not only does she probably think the hit was written about her, but it was blasted out by a brass brand as Kanye, 36, popped the question to her on a baseball pitch in San Francisco last year.

Kim first tweeted how much she loved the singer last summer and said: “I can’t get this Lana del Rey song out of my head! #youngandbeautiful.” A source said: “Kanye knew how much Kim loved Lana’s music, which is why he tried to get her to perform at the proposal.

“So he upped the offer to perform at the wedding and told Lana that it’s his and Kim’s special song and it would mean so much to have her perform it. She couldn’t say no.”

Lana will be joining a host of other celebrities jetting over from America to watch Kim get married for a third time. She was previously hitched to basketball star Kris Humphries and music producer Damon Thomas.

The guest list includes all the Kardashian Klan (obvs), plus movers and shakers in the fashion world such as Vogue editor Anna Wintour, and designers Riccardo Tisci and Donatella Versace.

Kimye are also hoping that Jay-Z and Beyonce will make good on their promise to attend – thankfully there shouldn’t be too many lifts at the French chateau for them to get into bother in…
Anna better takes note of Lana and gives ha the cover she deserves :gaycat:
Now my full name is there >.>
I added that song already weeks ago.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
All this Gaga vs. Madonna talk, breaks my heart....

Why can't my two faves just get along and do some mega collab that would knock all these other flops out of the water??? </3 :*(

Touchdown

Banned
blog_giphy_com2.gif

Is she going to just play the songs or will I be subjected to her hieroglyphic track-by-track commentary as well?

I don't think SHE will be physically playing the songs no, I think Itunes will be streaming the album tonight either 11pm when it updates or 12am because she's elusive.

iU274f2MmtdAA.gif

cory64

30 years ago this week the greatest single of all time was released

#1 for 5 weeks in 1984, his biggest hit
MJ only had 1 song after 1983 to do as good as this, but it was Black or White so no one cares.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom