• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT9| Too much shade can burn you...

Status
Not open for further replies.

3phemeral

I wasn't feeling Cry at first, but then it started getting into gospel-Mariah teas with vocals somehow remind me of her Butterfly album.

iCMNNxKDz7oyo.gif

3phemeral

So far it sounds like Classic Mariah. So I aint complaining.

It really does sound like classic Mariah. I'm beside myself. Faded is playing again. Do these Radio streams only play once per user, or do I have access for a certain amount of time?

Where is Touchdown? Does he need a defibrillator?

37QZkO8.gif

royalan

It's exactly the kind of album you'd expect from an uninspired, washed up, over the hill R&B Diva. It's not bad, per se, it's just not memorable. It's a very cohesive, yet bland album. Roy will inevitably like it. So there's that.

Fake edit: Meteorite is slaying.

This is as close as Rob will get to praising something not made by Prince, Rihanna, or Satancé.

royalan

dat Xtina bloat at the end tho

Still, her best album in YEARS, decades even

You don't know! You don't know! You don't know! You don't know! You don't know! You don't know! You don't know! You don't know! You don't know! You don't know! You don't know! You don't know! You don't know! You don't know! You don't know! You don't know! You don't know! You don't know! You don't know! You don't know! You don't know! You don't know! You don't know! You don't know!

I LIIIIIVVEEE

You don't know! You don't know! You don't know! You don't know! You don't know! You don't know! You don't know! You don't know! You don't know! You don't know! You don't know! You don't know! You don't know! You don't know! You don't know! You don't know! You don't know! You don't know! You don't know! You don't know! You don't know! You don't know! You don't know! You don't know!

I LIIIIIVVEEE
We'll see if you agriH that Camouflage would have been the perfect ending point

monique.gif

3phemeral

Unfortunate that her singing those abrupt sections along with Wale weren't on the final track, but I love that she added dem scats.

[edit] Ah ah ah ah - ah ah ah ah ah'm slayed from Supernatural.

3phemeral

Meteorite is slaying me so far. Reminds me of a track that I'd listen to while playing Rainbow Road on Mario Kart.

iXpJn1qdARWuo.gif

Album pre-order SEALED.

ibo4HbYtgvxPGG.gif

emotional journey Camouflage

power top dance floor anthem Meteorite

summer jam with the partition open Dedicated

the holy trinity of the album

cory64

Conventional wisdom says X&Y is Coldplay's worst album, but amidst that record's shiftless bloat, there were real-deal highlights that hit with blunt impact and have since stood the test of time. Ghost Stories contains no such moments, and thus threatens to rob X&Y of its dubious title.

"Ink" is the album's most indefensible moment, musically and lyrically, and the song handily snatches the title of Worst Coldplay Song from X&Y's impossibly leaden, fuckin'-magnets stinker "What If".

The closest the record comes to a bona fide anthem is the moderately enjoyable "A Sky Full of Stars", a rocket-fueled single on the level of "Clocks" and "Speed of Sound" tainted by Swedish dance producer AVICII's cheap-sounding drum presets and boilerplate synth motifs.

Coldplay have become one of the biggest acts in the world since their comparatively modest debut, and as a result Ghost Stories' attempts to return to close-mic'd intimacy come across as out-of-touch as Lucille Bluth asking how much a banana costs.

x

ihkgCGdE3t1OQ.gif

royalan

Lord I just preordered a Mariah album.

On first listen: it took her a long-ass-time to get this album out, but at least now we know she wasn't lying about really wanting to get it right, because it shows. Doesn't touch her best work, but the album isn't a lazy effort at all and is miles above her last few albums. I love how midtempo the whole thing is. Very R&B/Pop Lounge...

And she actually out-Retroriah'd Ariana Grande.

3phemeral

OMG Heavenly didn't come off as the slaying type, but it just kept swelling and swelling to Heaven. Gospel Mariah is slaying me over and over.

I DON'T BELIEVE. NO!

it makes me sad that there will likely not be a hit from this album because nothing strikes me as radio friendly, but the album is so good

maybe meteorite?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom