• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT9| Too much shade can burn you...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mumei

Uh, how does this stream work? I clicked the link, opened iTunes, and everything is greyed out besides the stuff that's already out.

royalan

Honestly?

MIAM>>>>>>>>BEYONCE

BEYONCE is just such an overwrought album. Too earnest in its intent to be "about" something.

I find MIAM to be just as emotionally involved as BEYONCE (how can it not be with Mimi penning the lyrics?), but there's just more instances of Mariah letting her hair down, having fun. You can tell she enjoyed recording this album, and as a result it's a more emotionally resonant body of work than BEYONCE--where even the happy tracks sound a little dreary, outside of Blow.

royalan

Yeah, that's the link. I click the link, it opens iTunes, and then nothing. What am I supposed to be doing?

Do you have a recent version of iTunes?

None of the links worked for me, either. I had to manual navigate to the iTunes Radio section of iTunes, and there's a link to play it there. But none of the direct links in the thread worked for me.

Honestly?

MIAM>>>>>>>>BEYONCE

BEYONCE is just such an overwrought album. Too earnest in its intent to be "about" something.

I find MIAM to be just as emotionally involved as BEYONCE (how can it not be with Mimi penning the lyrics?), but there's just more instances of Mariah letting her hair down, having fun. You can tell she enjoyed recording this album, and as a result it's a more emotionally resonant body of work than BEYONCE--where even the happy tracks sound a little dreary, outside of Blow.

Applying the Royalan margin of error:

MIAM<<<<<<<<<BEYONCE

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Honestly?

MIAM>>>>>>>>BEYONCE

didn't you think that even a recording of pitbull farting in a public bathroom was better than BEYONCÉ though? this tells us literally nothing about the quality of MIAM.

MIAM<<<<<<<<<BEYONCE

dddddd or that

royalan

MIAM<<<<<<<<<BEYONCE

didn't you think that even a recording of pitbull farting in a public bathroom was better than BEYONCÉ though? this tells us literally nothing about the quality of MIAM.

dddddd or that

Hey hey.

1) I DID predict that Meteorite would be the best track. BOW to my psychic powers.

2) I don't think BEYONCE is a bad album. I think the worst thing I've said about it is that it isn't timeless, it has no hits, people won't remember it a year after release, B'Day is still better, and if it weren't for the way she released it it probably would have sold worse than 4. Other than that, I think it's a good album. It's an accomplishment on Mimi's part that MIAM is better.

Hey hey.

1) I DID predict that Meteorite would be the best track. BOW to my psychic powers.

2) I don't think BEYONCE is a bad album. I think the worst thing I've said about it is that it isn't timeless, it has no hits, people won't remember it a year after release, B'Day is still better, and if it weren't for the way she released it it probably would have sold worse than 4. Other than that, I think it's a good album. It's an accomplishment on Mimi's part that MIAM is better.
1) Camouflage though

2) Drunk In Love? The album itself sold really well too (mostly at full price, unlike most). And like it or not, the fully realized visual component was more important than the surprise release. For me, anyway.

royalan

1) Camouflage though

2) Drunk In Love? The album itself sold really well too (mostly at full price, unlike most). And like it or not, the fully realized visual component was more important than the surprise release. For me, anyway.

I might have to change my mind, actually.

Make It Look Good is really warming up to me on repeat listens.

3phemeral

Review: Mariah sings to her strengths on 'Chanteuse'

For a woman who has one of the most technically astonishing voices in pop music, Mariah Carey has at times seemed oddly inclined to try too hard. And who could blame her, really, given the gleeful snark that she has inspired in detractors &#8212; first for sounding (and looking) too perfect, then for her forays into hip-hop and attempts to sustain her viability as younger acolytes crowded the field.

So what's most striking about Carey's new album &#8212; titled, rather insistently, Me. I Am Mariah ...The Elusive Chanteuse (***½ out of four) and now streaming on iTunes Radio ahead of its May 27 release &#8212; is how relaxed and confident she sounds. Gone is the self-consciousness that marred her last studio album, 2009's Memoirs of an Imperfect Angel. Instead, Carey &#8212; whose delays of Chanteuse's release date inspired predictable hand-wringing (as did the less-than-spectacular performance of the lead singles) &#8212; gives the impression that her only concerns are meeting her own standards, and those of the fans who have stuck with her through everything.

The tender, aching ballads and joyful pop-soul numbers here both mark a return to form and reveal increased nuance, particularly in the singing. The artful melisma, robust belting and decorative high notes are still there, but Carey spends a great deal of time using her supple middle and lower registers to convey feeling simply and directly.

Tunes such as the pensive, piano-driven Cry and the dreamier Supernatural, an account of maternal love featuring Carey and husband Nick Cannon's young twins, showcase the creamy and husky textures of her voice while keeping the focus on sentiment, not ornamentation. The spine-tingling Camouflage, co-written and produced by Carey and Big Jim Wright (other collaborators include longtime colleagues Jermaine Dupri and Rodney Jerkins), finds her pining performance embellished with gospel-tinged backing vocals.

There's also a poignant cover of George Michael's One More Try, and the snappy, twinkling Meteorite, which begins with Andy Warhol's observation that everyone will be famous for 15 minutes &#8212; which seems truer today than it did when he made it, or when Carey's career launched 25 years ago, for that matter. Elusive or not, this chanteuse is a survivor, and that's a rare thing in today's fickle, polarized pop landscape.

iCMNNxKDz7oyo.gif

Listening to Supernatural, I'm loving how full and lush her harmonies and whispers sound. She was starting to sound dry, even on easily sung album-quality tracks, which was becoming sad to listen to. I don't know what she's doing on this album to make her vocals (sans the super high belts) sound so healthy, but it's great, even if she'll never be able to perform this live. I'm slain.

Woah-ooh-woah...Beat gooo.

The way she's handling the whistle harmonies is like heaven itself descended upon us through a cool breeze, blessing us with its holy light.

Touchdown

Banned
I have literally no interest or energy engaging people over Beyoncé any more tbh

BEYONCÉ was a hell of an album, the best of 2013 I'd say.
a3fdf692.gif

So far I think MIAMTEC is album of 2014...although I may be a little biased.
ed2305b7.png

edit: And this may end up being her best critically scored album of all time.
ed2305b7.png

I've always been more of a fan of Mariah's singles than her full albums but this is the first one since Daydream or Butterfly where I can see myself using a majority of the songs.
D5uJuyO.gif

The production is really impressive on some of the songs too; I'm glad she is evolving the standard piano + hip hop beat structure that she's been using for a long time now. Meteorite has single handedly made Walking on Air obsolete.
D5uJuyO.gif

I will be forever pressed that the summer bop #Beautiful (feat. Bowser) did not smash. It could have been a ray of light in the dark ages of Thinne.
D5uJuyO.gif

Besides #Beautiful and Thirsty, I didn't use any of the lead single(s), so I wasn't expecting anything out of this album. The good thing is that even You're Mine (Eternal) sounds good in context, and Mariah was smart enough to ditch Triumphant and relegate The Art Of Letting Go to the bonus track penitentiary.
D5uJuyO.gif

Not a vocal expert, but she sounds much better than the songs I heard from Memoirs.
D5uJuyO.gif

I wouldn't call the album better than BEYONCE...but that's no big deal because BEYONCE has become one of my favorite pop albums of all time, and I don't expect many to top it soon.
D5uJuyO.gif

Touchdown

Banned
I think this is her vocally weakest album yet, but every song is a damn bop. Although I don't like Faded yet, hoping it will grow on me after a while. My favorites so far are Meteorite, You Don't Know What To Do, Make It Look Good, One More Try, Thirsty and Heavenly. oh yeah and #Beautiful. And not in that order though.

new-york-flavor-of-love-crying-o.gif

edit:She finally has a banner right next to Coldplay. Yas Lord.

1522_f281.gif

If I could equate albums to gaming dynasties, This album is her Super Mario Galaxy; unexpectedly great. The Emancipation of Mimi would be the Super Mario 64 standard bearer. E=MC2 was her Super Mario Sunshine offshoot.

Why is everything with you so complicaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaated
Why do you make it hard to love you, oh I
Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaate iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit
'Cause if you really wanna be alone, I
I'll throw my hands up 'cause baby I tried
But everything with you is so complicaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaated
Oh why

Sing it, bitch.

ZqE2qjZ.gif

3phemeral

I think this is her vocally weakest album yet, but every song is a damn bop.

I think you need to re-listen, sis. Mariah hasn't sounded this good since TEoM, where every album since has relegated Gospel Mariah to just single tracks. She's practically everywhere on this new album, along with dance-club scatting Mariah and possibly some of her best harmonies.

It still skips Money when I play the stream on iTunes

I want to hear it

:-(

EDIT: And just like that, it starts playing on the MariahRadio.com stream <3

This 90s vibe-ness

3phemeral

Seriously, this album has just rendered Ariana's entire throwback thing utterly null and void

UTTERLY

Godriah felt the pressure of being rendered irrelevant by trendy lessors and once again, proved her immense talent and ear for music via thoroughly slaughtering and annihilating them with this absoluTe masterpiece.

Mumei

can't wait for your assessmenT

I don't know that I'll have much of an assessment beyond whether I liked it and what stood out for me. I am not Soulscribe~

Who still needs to listen to The Remixes. And needs to finish that project he was talking about doing where he was going to listen to peoples' discographies and rank them based on 'stuff' or w/e.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
The Voice has nearly pushed Happy out of the top #20
God bless, xtina her curse lives in one way or another

cory64

The tempo changes in the Heartbreaker club remix singlehandely redeem the Rainbow era
ccd10a8e.gif
ccd10a8e.gif
ccd10a8e.gif

edit: ^yaaas queen Laura keeps snatching bops left and right

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom