• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT9| Too much shade can burn you...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vazduh

Tulip
1395940052_tulisa-gran2.jpg

wtf at her face.

Wait, what, that's Tulisa? Yikes, I almost didn't recognize her.

Added <3

I just bucked up on this newbie today named Tara Carosielli.

... I'm currently bopping to her new song

Tara Carosielli - Sanity

Her other singles are just as good.

The Opposite Game

Disco Lights

Resistance (Interlude)

Reminds me of Tinashe, Jhene Akio, Jeni etc. But still good.

This is very nice. Although I like Disco Lights the most, the others are good, too.

Btw, thanks for all the last.fm requests, gurls! :***

Fey

Banned
Okay Kylie, slay me with some of your unreleased songs.

Change Your Mind

iwwbSn1OSsIeA.gif

Change Your Mind is so good. I'm pretty sure part of why she didn't release it is because this came out first. :[

since when did you like it ;;;;

It would be a good song if it weren't for that tragic pre chorus and chorus. Especially the chorus. I listened to the song once and decided it had no replay value.

where is the lie

iMwo7GjFDqRYI.gif

Nemesis_

since when did you like it ;;;;

It would be a good song if it weren't for that tragic pre chorus and chorus. Especially the chorus. I listened to the song once and decided it had no replay value.

niece did someone drop a gazing ball on your head

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
i don't really get it, my girl friends were doing leather jackets like maybe two years ago?

i know that US fashion is behind yurop but i didn't realise it was that far behind

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
although her official title is FIRO i'm not sure rita ora actually wants a career in fashion

unless rihanna has another career that i'm not aware of?

Vazduh

What if Rita Ora steals Rihanna, her career this year?

Beyonce and Jay-Z would have another reason to celebrate since Rita's their investment.

Rita is talented and that could happen
(it won't tho)
, but she'd have to start releasing some decent tunes first. If they keep giving her Rihanna's B-sides, she'll remain a C-lister.

Of all the songs on her first album only the Sia-written Radioactive was arguably great, but that was pretty much it. Everything else was sub-par, or in the case of will.i.am-penned "Fall in Love", atrocious.

Majmun

Everything can happen. What kind of career did Rihanna have pre-AGGB?

Her first two albums were basic as hell. Rita could blow up the same way.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
This thread has been unusually quiet recently
Surely it is time some hew rises from nowhere to take over the world? I mean when was the last one, Kesha? I need a new girl to come and slay

edit; and don't one of you fuckers dare suggest Lorde or Carly Rae because they are not valid answers.

edit2; oh my goodness
The diplo + Skrillex set at UMF has a flawless remix of MIA - YALA

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
what in sweet hell is going on

there's a programme called Joanna Lumley meet will.i.am

on the bbc

id on't even
ljakld;fgj

Touchdown

Banned
This thread has been unusually quiet recently
Surely it is time some hew rises from nowhere to take over the world? I mean when was the last one, Kesha? I need a new girl to come and slay

edit; and don't one of you fuckers dare suggest Lorde or Carly Rae because they are not valid answers.

Come the Legend's return on May 6th, I'll have this thread jumping again. None of y'all will be safe.

ibbxsRfh2xCwWC.gif

Fey

Banned
Speaking of Gnarly Slay Jetsons (the hit TV show), the Canadian Princess of Pop is apparently working on her 3rd album. Tread carefully cunts.

iGGvgBA7Jv75l.gif

Vazduh

Not gonna lie, I loved Kiss and I'm looking forward to the third album.

Canada’s greatest export since Celine Dion somewhat cryptically told Billboard her new opus will be: “a pop album, but… an album that is my own version of pop.” When pressed she named Robyn, Kimbra, La Roux and Dragonette as inspirations.

Source

In the meantime, let's bop to one of the flawless bonus tracks from Kiss, Drive. Dat BJ anthem <3

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
1 week left, I am not ready

Please tell me about the multiple smash world tours, all-time Hot 100 records, and six platinum albums Bey had before Umbrella dropped.

The metric for success and relevance has changed about 12 different times since 2006. There's much more room for hit songs in 2014 because the number of avid pop radio stations has gone up exponentially (not to mention the format's become deflated now with services like Spotify and Pandora). Given all the certifications Rihanna has, you would think she'd be on Michael Jackson's level right now. She's nowhere near that. She's not even close to Beyonce, who hasn't had a top 10 hit since 2009. lol

cory64

In 2006, 18 singles reached the top of the chart

There was a total of 17 number-one singles in 2010. (and Rihanna had 4 of those)
In 2011, 14 singles claimed the top spot (and Rihanna had 2 of those)
Throughout 2012, a total of 12 singles claimed the number-one position (and Rihanna had one)
In 2013, a total of 11 singles claimed the top spot (and Rihanna had one)

yeah it's getting so much easier to clock a #1

The metric for success and relevance has changed about 12 different times since 2006. There's much more room for hit songs in 2014 because the number of avid pop radio stations has gone up exponentially (not to mention the format's become deflated now with services like Spotify and Pandora). Given all the certifications Rihanna has, you would think she'd be on Michael Jackson's level right now. She's nowhere near that. She's not even close to Beyonce, who hasn't had a top 10 hit since 2009. lol

Did you hate pre-Like a Prayer Madonna too? Leave black Madonna alone.

Koodo

Banned
d at there being anything other than Daenerys Luther King stans. Poor Sansack will soon find itself scorchedT by the Reign.

Fey

Banned
How Sansa (in her current arc in the show, not counting season 4 in which she's actually good) has any fans at all is beyond me.

Arya is the superior Stark daughter.

but what is this obsession you have with pitting the stark girls against one another? like who is even talking about arya right now? it's entirely possible to like them both and their stories.
ab6d3f1c.gif

forgive me, mumei, but i cannot go any further with this unfounded sansa bashing. Spoilers for anyone who hasn't caught up to the 3rd season of the show.

Why would anyone anyone enjoy Sansa in the show up to this point? Well ... why not? Because she hasn't killed anyone? She hasn't had a "badass" scene? I mean, is it surprising that the girl who is currently a hostage to the family that not only has she been forced to marry into, but has beaten and tortured her, threatened her with rape, killed her father right in front of her, and now have also killed her mother, brother, and sister-in-law hasn't done anything but try to lie low and not piss anyone off? She's doing what she can to survive - saying the right things to the right people (ie. telling people that she indeed loves Joffrey and wants to marry him, because she knows admitting her hatred would put her in a worse position) and doing her best to stay out of the way in case the family that is killing her family off decides to come for her, too (Say, for example, if she and Arya switched places. Obviously everyone would love if Arya was in Sansa's spot and responded to threats of rape and torture with witty and sarcastic comebacks, or even attacks ... until eventually she was killed. Same with Sansa, she can't survive out in the wilderness, and too would die.). And for that, everyone should hate her? I mean, I could get people not caring about her in the show, especially since they don't have access to her thoughts as they do in the books, but actively hating her as you and many people in this thread do (I've seen people on this site go as far as to wish death and rape upon her), is ridiculous.

I can also completely understand why people would want to like Sansa. She's trapped, alone, has virtually no one she can trust, and (what I find most admirable about her) is that despite all the horrors she has seen and been through, she still hasn't broken and still believes in the things her father (who coincidentally everyone LOVES, despite being pretty much an older, more mature, just as "stupid", MALE Sansa, but that's another issue) taught her, like being chivalrous and believing in being honest and all that "good" jazz. She's still "innocent" and "pure" in that regard. She's like a Disney princess written into the wrong story. She's not power hungry, she's not bloodthirsty, and she clearly doesn't want to play in the "game." Obviously some people choose to see this as stupidity and naivety.

On top of all that, she is probably the most realistic and relateable character in the series. As much as we would all love to believe we're badasses like Arya who will easily kill, and sarcastic, clever, and witty like Tyrion who enjoys playing his role, we're not. Sure they make for interesting stories, but it's part of why I like this series that characters like Sansa are included. Lots of us (especially book readers I guess) would probably be like the passive, afraid Sansa, who in our world would be that shy introvert absorbed in her stories that, when she was young, were her best friends, and who is just trying to get by. And it's refreshing to have a main character in such a dark, high fantasy series who's like that; a completely average human character (and also magic-less, as her storyline is one of the few that doesn't involve it) who is forced to go through the things she must go through. It's part of why I love the series. It's fascinating to watch. She's completely an underdog who is being forced to grow up in the worst way possible and who is doing her best to survive - and so it's easy to want to see her finally get hers.

So yeah, in the words of the showrunners who sufficiently summed up their feelings towards Sansa haters: "Fuck off."

What I was referring to in my post was that she gradually gets better. Book three / seasons 3 and 4 is definitely her high point.

Spoilers for all seasons of the show

She is incredibly naive, and not only that, but in a series where there are so many interesting characters, she falls short and is lost amidst them. It's not until her book 3 arc that she truly grows into her own. That's what I meant with my post. Before that point, though, she's terrible.

Characters don't have to have badass scenes to be good, but Sansa's high point doesn't happen until her marriage to Tyrion. In season two, Sansa started to play the game and she did her part well, I will give her that. But before then, and as a character in general, she's a weak point for the series. And even now, she is nothing but a pawn to be used by Littlefinger, the Lannisters, etc. I will admit that I think Sansa has experienced the most growth out of any character in the series, but even so, she still has a long ways to go before she's "Queen in the North" worthy.

For me, Sansa is one those characters that I think will shine bright as the next books come out, but I absolutely despise her in seasons one and two and the corresponding books. She is an insufferable teenage girl who knows nothing about the world, and frankly, reading her chapters was a chore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom