• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Pro needs to hit it out of the Park

TrueLegend

I think Gaming needs a Device like PS5 Pro at this point and it is happening and honestly the whole thing that I am looking for is how the new Upscaling will work as without ML consoles are pretty doomed on IQ at this point. PS5 IQ would have been great if we didn't go to the Ray Tracing And UE5 gen. Horizon Forbidden West is a testament to that but the industry has shown us that thats no longer the path. Even RE engine is shot now with Dragon's Dogma II.

But Sony can't just offer only that this time if they will charge us 600+ US Dollars. I really want the old console practises to go away from new games. I want that the new Pro should defaultly include these standards

1. 16X Anisotropic Filtering for all games
2. Motion Blur on and off option
3. ML Based fluid motion option for 120 hz

These combined set of enhancement should be part of new Enhanced for Pro label.

And God the travel stutter of Unreal need to be fixed. After the debacle that was FFXVI IQ I don't wanna play FFXVII unless it is smooth 60fps rock solid game with everything in 60. DDII, FFXVII all these games have felt more like devolution. RE2 and RE3 on PS4 pro look more filmic than these shits.

BTW FFXVII Pc demo ain't much of an improvement, AF is broken what a disappointment for an overall good original final fantasy game.

What do you guys things would make pro worth a refresh for you?

YCoCg

At the very least all first party games to have patches on day one with some improvements. The PS5 Pro has been the worst kept secret for nearly a year now, if it's coming out this year they need to show us why it's needed and have a stack of games ready.

nnytk

Neo Member
For me it's all about stable 60fps and image quality in the realm of 1080p or 2K. Upscaling will do the rest.

Unreal 5 and Nanite got me super excited about long draw distances, no more LODs. I'd love to see more games utilizing this.

Honestly, I hope the industry moves away from AAA huge budget projects and does more Astrobot or RE4Remake or Helldivers 2 type of stuff. Unicorn Overlord was my GOTY and I'd love to see more of these types of games. Heck, Risk of Rain 2, EDF 6 or Chained Together on PC have been hilariously fun, keep it simple you game devs!

I don't care about bells and whistles.

Last edited:

PeteBull

Gold Member
For me it's all about stable 60fps and image quality in the realm of 1080p or 2K. Upscaling will do the rest.

Unreal 5 and Nanite got me super excited about long draw distances, no more LODs. I'd love to see more games utilizing this.

Honestly, I hope the industry moves away from AAA huge budget projects and does more Astrobot or RE4Remake or Helldivers 2 type of stuff. Unicorn Overlord was my GOTY and I'd love to see more of these types of games. Heck, Risk of Rain 2, EDF 6 or Chained Together on PC have been hilariously fun, keep it simple you game devs!

I don't care about bells and whistles.
afaik console gonna get same outdated zen2 cpu like base ps5 got but with slight overclock, which means downclocked r7 3700x with less cashe, that alone provides enough info any cpu heavy scenario will drop fps below 60, maybe it will be 40fps mode on pr0 vs 30 on base tho, that would be huge already given specs.

Robb

Gold Member
I wouldn’t expect too much. It’s just a mid-gen refresh for enthusiasts that’ll make up roughly 15% of total Ps5 lifetime sales (and probably even less..).

Games will run slightly better. Anything major will be saved for Ps6.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
No hardware can make every piece of software on it run perfectly!

Sure, it might be so fast that it mitigates a lot of inefficiencies and bottlenecks in the code and as a result attains a certain level of performance, but at the end of the day you can't design and build a network of roads and highways that never gets snagged up while bad drivers exist.

Mattyp

Gold Member
Not everyone has pc money or GTA 6 day one on pc
I prefer to play GTA on my consoles personally always found it a console game since the first.

Everyone might not have that money but in the same thought process not everyone needs to have the latest and best of the best graphics, I have a 4080 super but still happily play my Series X with no complaints and never thinking this looks vastly different. The difference once you’re back on couch VS PC is legit not visible.

The leaks say that the cpu is basically the same so 60 fps on a cpu heavy game like gta6 are all but certain.
(And i bet OP's left testicle that a performance mode is not gonna be even remotely close to 60 LOCKED).
Read about that, too, but I still think they can do it.

If not then I will buy neither the game nor the PS5 Pro.

Or maybe they could provide a locked 50fps mode? That'd be good enough for me. Every HDTV with HDMI supports 50Hz (due to PAL content from the past). Wonder why that's not a thing.

Ozzie666

I rather some games be released from their main studios or at least announced. PRO in this economy and state of the industry, just seems like a terrible idea. Release a more luxury item, not the right time. We need games to actually use the PS5 and not be second fiddle to a PRO.

I was all for the PS4 PRO, but looking back. I think I rather have waited to appreciate the next generation more.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Who’s going to buy it?

I would imagine most of its target audience are happy enough with the graphics of the existing console.

I prefer to play GTA on my consoles personally always found it a console game since the first.

Everyone might not have that money but in the same thought process not everyone needs to have the latest and best of the best graphics, I have a 4080 super but still happily play my Series X with no complaints and never thinking this looks vastly different. The difference once you’re back on couch VS PC is legit not visible.
Not visible this man says. Troll post. Or you have shit eyes, don't play 4k on a good tv with everything maxed out or sit way to far away from your screen. Don't bother buying a 4080 equivalent next time if you can't see the difference.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Read about that, too, but I still think they can do it.

If not then I will buy neither the game nor the PS5 Pro.

Or maybe they could provide a locked 50fps mode? That'd be good enough for me. Every HDTV with HDMI supports 50Hz (due to PAL content from the past). Wonder why that's not a thing.
40hz mode is more probable imo, it works better with 120hz panels if my memory serve me well.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Gaf wants a ps5 pro not actual games to play. Jesus fuck some of you need to get out.
why-not-both-why-not.gif

It's not like the people who make ps5 pro are robbing any budget or time to the devs who make games, they are 2 separate branches.

Senua

I bet sony is also literally betting on that thing otherwise I don't see much reason for it from your average consumer standpoint. But I don't see the launch coinciding so far.
The average consumer doesn't even know what 60fps is

Madjaba

They will continue to dev games based on the weakest devices (PS4 and Series S) so like PS4Pro we'll get slightly better resolution and fluidity but the games will be made for the PS5 non pro system at best.

Huge pass for me, I already been there with the PS4Pro...

Last edited:
I would opt for the regular Ps5 if they did a big price drop upon the Pro release, as my own personal gaming tastes and habits do not require 'Pro' power. In fact I mainly want a PS5 in order to access my PS4 library again as I sold the PS4 Pro a few years ago.

That said, Sony's pricing strategies this gen lead me to believe they'll keep the regular PS5 at current pricing points, which is far too much 4 years into the gen. So I guess it makes more sense to get Ps5 Pro just as the better future proofed system ( as much as it can be as far as tech devices go).

Last edited:

Mattyp

Gold Member
Not visible this man says. Troll post. Or you have shit eyes, don't play 4k on a good tv with everything maxed out or sit way to far away from your screen. Don't bother buying a 4080 equivalent next time if you can't see the difference.
Tell me the difference between CoD or Horizon at 4K maxed out on the seriesX at 2.5m compared to the same settings on a 4080 at 40 cm.

Three

Thats the point. There is no both. PS5 barely has shit and ppl here are drooling over another system.
Because people play the games that are releasing on them and want to play those games with better performance and visuals. What "shit" is there on any other system? Unless you're making a comment about the industry at large? PS5 is getting the most releases. Looking forward to Astrobot next week.

It's a GTA 6 60 fps console
I'm sure GTA 6 will suck ass on PS5 and series x judging by their history but if GTA is delayed and the next Xbox is released near it I don't see people running towards a PS5 pro most of the people will be fine with a PS5

Three

Tell me the difference between CoD or Horizon at 4K maxed out on the seriesX at 2.5m compared to the same settings on a 4080 at 40 cm.
I don't understand, is this a trick question like a pound of feathers or rocks? If it's the same settings and you have no eyesight issues none, it's the same settings. except maybe even then you will probably be running at a higher fps "at 40cm".

GymWolf

Gold Member
Thats the point. There is no both. PS5 barely has shit and ppl here are drooling over another system.
Well, games are being made as we speak, even if we troll sony for their low first party output, WE KNOW that corey is working on a game, nd is working on something, sp has sushi 2, bend is working, bluepoint is working etc.

When these games are gonna release, people just want to play the, at their best, and some people hope that pro is gonna help with third parties that look meh on ps5, that's an added value aswell.

I don't see anything wrong with that, it's no different than pc gamers upgrading their specs.

Not releasing a pro would not help with making more games at all, so again i say, why the fuck not? :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
and want to play those games with better performance and visuals
First of all, games have been optimized to absolute shit degrees for PS5 and the console has not been used to its full potential properly. Games like Forbidden West looks insane and better than 99% of the games and it also released on PS4. It's not the hardware thats the problem, its the games. Secondly, sure, people who only have a PS5 might be the target demographic but for the others who have at least a PC alongside their PS5's like myself, it's just gathering dust, just like the Pro will if Sony wont focust on going back to what they did best pre-PS5 era, and that is making the best exclusives games and overall games on the market. We've used to get a ton of games per year, but now, you're all satisfied getting one or two exclusives at best and theyre not even great. But yeah, go enjoy your Concord-like games on the Pro lmao.

Last edited:

Three

First of all, games have been optimized to absolute shit degrees for PS5 and the console has not been used to its full potential properly. Games like Forbidden West looks insane and better than 99% of the games and it also released on PS4.
Perhaps, but again what system is being used to its full potential properly in comparison? Better performing hardware can at least cover the industry wide lack of optimisation that you think exists.
It's not the hardware thats the problem, its the games. Secondly, sure, people who only have a PS5 might be the target demographic but for the others who have at least a PC alongside their PS5's like myself, it's just gathering dust, just like the Pro will if Sony wont focust on going back to what they did best pre-PS5 era, and that is making the best exclusives games and overall games on the market. We've used to get a ton of games per year, but now, you're all satisfied getting one or two exclusives at best and theyre not even great. But yeah, go enjoy your Concord-like games on the Pro lmao.
We still get a ton of games per year if you care to look. It's certainly not one. Got Rise of the Ronin, Stellar Blade, FF7 Rebirth, and getting Astrobot next week. That's not me enjoying "Concord like games", yet I also enjoyed Helldivers 2 this year too if that's what you're talking about, thanks for asking.

Last edited:
A floor of 40FPS/120hz would be nice, that would allow us to obtain that sweet spot of IQ/resolution/playability. I'm a firm believer that the days of milking the last drop of capability out of consoles is all but over, the only way forward now is brute force strength with stronger hardware.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
It will hit it out of the park as soon as I can pre-odor the son of bitch hijo de su concha madre (as they say in France) piece of shit.

Kind of off topic but wallstreet isn’t really talking about the PS5 Pro. If it’s truly releasing this holiday that’s during Q4, right? AMD gaming revenue has been on the decline due to declining PS5 and GPU sales. This could reverse that trend and give a boost to the stock

StueyDuck

Games haven't reached a point to warrant a pro purchase from me. And I don't mean performance terms.

Games are all the same shit, star wars Outlaws is just more of the same mush, why go an spend all that money to make the same thing run better.

They want me to buy a pro then the devs need to start delivering unique interesting titles.

GymWolf

Gold Member
First of all, games have been optimized to absolute shit degrees for PS5 and the console has not been used to its full potential properly. Games like Forbidden West looks insane and better than 99% of the games and it also released on PS4. It's not the hardware thats the problem, its the games. Secondly, sure, people who only have a PS5 might be the target demographic but for the others who have at least a PC alongside their PS5's like myself, it's just gathering dust, just like the Pro will if Sony wont focust on going back to what they did best pre-PS5 era, and that is making the best exclusives games and overall games on the market. We've used to get a ton of games per year, but now, you're all satisfied getting one or two exclusives at best and theyre not even great. But yeah, go enjoy your Concord-like games on the Pro lmao.
Unrelated (kinda), people are gonna tell you that every game with heavy rtx or that use every tech of ue5 looks a generation better than hfw because it has a shitty, old light tech.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Perhaps, but again what system is being used to its full potential properly in comparison? Better performing hardware can at least cover the industry wide lack of optimisation that you think exists.

So you get it but you're being ignorant. Instead of focusing on games and optimizing them, it's best to just release a different hardware as if thats going to change games not being properly optimized lmao. Devs will just get lazier again with the pro. A pro wont change shit. Look at the switch for the perfect counter-argument to your whole replies. Switch's hardware is an absolute pos and Nintendo chose to focus on what gamers love, GAMES and exclusives. But yeah we def need a PRO to play nothing.

We still get a ton of games

No, we dont. Not exclusively to the PS5 and not as much as we used to. Saying otherwise is just blatantly lying.

Unrelated (kinda), people are gonna tell you that every game with heavy rtx or that use every tech of ue5 looks a generation better than hfw because it has a shitty, old light tech.

I know, and you know what I said in another thread about shadows and raytracing, so I won't go there again. But yeah.

Last edited:
Top Bottom