• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Pro needs to hit it out of the Park

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member

PS5 Pro needs to hit it out of the Park​

oiq0PDP.jpeg

Jennifer Lawrence Reaction GIF

Cyberpunkd

I bet sony is also literally betting on that thing otherwise I don't see much reason for it from your average consumer standpoint. But I don't see the launch coinciding so far.
Average customer will never buy a Pro console. As long as GTA runs they will go with the cheapest option.

Cyberpunkd

I really just want a "cost is no object" approach to a console. Legitimately high-end specs and great build quality. I know that, at the end of the day, it's up to devs to optimize their games appropriately, but it'd be nice to have hardware that essentially gives me modern PC-like performance, but without the hiccups that PC gaming so often brings with it these days.
What hiccups? Tried Steam Big Picture mode? Steam Deck Game mode?

Crayon

What hiccups? Tried Steam Big Picture mode? Steam Deck Game mode?

Just right now... My wife turns on the dual sense to play bg3 on PC, controller doesn't connect. Hold home button for that ridiculous 25 second count to turn it off, turn it back on, it's fine. That's a 'little hiccup'.

No big deal at all, but those tiny things add up and can make a console feel smooth and polished in comparison. If it weren't for mods, she'd be playing this on PS5 for exactly that reason. PC gaming isn't difficult for her but she'd still take the PS5 environment if all else was equal. Micro conveniences that only come into play <1% of your seat time can be enough.

Stu_Hart

Neo Member
They need the hype and marketing to get me interested. Give me reasons to get excited and pumped instead of just showing the box and the release date in some bland trailer. The way they launched the ps vr2 with very little fanfare and almost no marketing makes me think that sony is just going through the motions to launch their products nowadays.

I mean their point made sense. Similar to how PS4 pro was a minor update too. Makes it easier for devs. Less disruption.
Depends on your definition of minimal. I play on a 55" TV. CoD runs at 1080p @ 120 FPS in multiplayer. The image quality is... bad. If PS5 Pro can run it at ~1350p and then use something of a similar quality to Intel XeSS that would be a huge upgrade to me personally.

If you're playing on a small TV or games with already high resolution (e.g., Destiny 2) the upgrade would be obviously smaller.

nial

Nice. Alex "Cerny" Battaglia and Richard "Hulst" Leadbetter have said that, so this must be true.
So sorry, I know I will sound really annoying, but why do people think of Hulst as the only CEO of SIE, lol? Nishino is the platform/hardware CEO, and he's been the head of PS5 Pro development for some time already (since September 2022).

I mean their point made sense. Similar to how PS4 pro was a minor update too. Makes it easier for devs. Less disruption.

Well it's not called PS6 for a reason.

It will be "small" in that it's not generational, but I think the end result can still be pretty profound. You'll be playing much sharper looking games, with better performance, and more ray tracing bells and whistles.

PS4 Pro was a pretty tangible increase. Go play any Pro enhanced game vs. the base console and it was immediately a much more appealing looking image

I mean, they really don't. These pro consoles are really just for enthusiasts. Like if the pro sucks or is over priced, I highly doubt it will impact PS5 sales. People will just buy a regular or slim PS5.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I'm actually in the camp of waiting out and really seeing what this brings to the table now.

I was all in day one and I might still sell one of my ps5s and upgrade but I need to see software that is new, like astro bot looking considerably better. Everything else I could want to play is on pc and with the 5090 launching early next year plus switch 2 in spring, I'm now leaning into why bother territory.

Fair play if they announce 2 exclusive sony games at the event that look nuts on the pro I'll deffo pick one up but I don't want one for legacy games when I have a pc for that, which will be considerably more powerful than a ps5 pro.

Preseznik

Neo Member

I thought PS4 Pro was pretty huge, X1X even more so.
But I did play COD on a 55'' 4k TV sat atop my gaming *desk*, so I noticed the upgrades far more than the average gamer, probably.

Anyway, an IQ upgrade for people sitting close to their PS5 setups is probably the best case scenario, so I would agree the upgrade is somewhat "minor".

Z O N E

It's going to be the same song and dance we've had to this day.

No game is going to take full advantage. They'll make some minor additions like extra FPS or higher resolution and call it a day and the average gamer will buy it like Jesus appeared in front of them.

I think Gaming needs a Device like PS5 Pro at this point and it is happening and honestly the whole thing that I am looking for is how the new Upscaling will work as without ML consoles are pretty doomed on IQ at this point. PS5 IQ would have been great if we didn't go to the Ray Tracing And UE5 gen. Horizon Forbidden West is a testament to that but the industry has shown us that thats no longer the path. Even RE engine is shot now with Dragon's Dogma II.

But Sony can't just offer only that this time if they will charge us 600+ US Dollars. I really want the old console practises to go away from new games. I want that the new Pro should defaultly include these standards

1. 16X Anisotropic Filtering for all games
2. Motion Blur on and off option
3. ML Based fluid motion option for 120 hz

These combined set of enhancement should be part of new Enhanced for Pro label.

And God the travel stutter of Unreal need to be fixed. After the debacle that was FFXVI IQ I don't wanna play FFXVII unless it is smooth 60fps rock solid game with everything in 60. DDII, FFXVII all these games have felt more like devolution. RE2 and RE3 on PS4 pro look more filmic than these shits.

BTW FFXVII Pc demo ain't much of an improvement, AF is broken what a disappointment for an overall good original final fantasy game.

What do you guys things would make pro worth a refresh for you?
You're not gonna get 16X anisotropic filtering on the majority of games. AF hits bandwidth hard PC can easily deal with it but consoles limited shared memory can't cope. People have been asking for 16X AF since the PS3 era and this is the reason we don't get it.

afaik console gonna get same outdated zen2 cpu like base ps5 got but with slight overclock, which means downclocked r7 3700x with less cashe, that alone provides enough info any cpu heavy scenario will drop fps below 60, maybe it will be 40fps mode on pr0 vs 30 on base tho, that would be huge already given specs.
It's much worst than a 3700X because that CPU is a full fat desktop CPU, the PS5 Pro has the crippled laptop APU version so it's 8 cores 16 threads but cache massively cut down as well as clocks. The crippled cache along with using GDDR6 is why even the 3600 outperforms it. As DF has said the consoles CPU performs on the level of Zen1+ not Zen 2. The PS5 Pro will be no different.

Personally I literally don't care about the pro. Never bought a "pro" console before and don't intend to. My PS5 is fine and IMO I just can't imagine the Pro being that much better.

Griffon

I don't see the point of a pro model when your base console is still $500 4 years after launch (price even got up in Japan and EU).

Mephisto40

A machine that is going to do RT at 4K at a consistent 60fps is going to cost somewhere in the region of $1000+ to the customer

That would be the only sort of machine spec I would see as "worth it" it right now, but the average consumer, myself included, is not going to pay that sort of money for a console, and it would most probably flop hard due to it's cost

Burger King

Neo Member
Assuming that GTA6 will likely only run at 30fps on PS5, all the PS5 Pro will have to do to be a worth refresh is run GTA6 at 60fps with at least the same graphics quality.

It's that simply,

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Assuming that GTA6 will likely only run at 30fps on PS5, all the PS5 Pro will have to do to be a worth refresh is run GTA6 at 60fps with at least the same graphics quality.

It's that simply,

I cant get over how everything is resting on GTA6. I still think Rockstar will launch the PC version within 6 months of launch this time. There isnt the install base to make GTA6 work sales wise on PS5 and Series compared to PS3 + 360. If it does more than 12 million copies week one then I will be amazed.

Last edited:

Felessan

Banned
Pro is for 15-20% of people who see worth in better picture/performance, even though not outstandishly so.
All others could pass on pro - no big deal.
I doubt Pro will be subsidized, so it'll probably be at 600$ discless, just enough to fully cover costs and provide value who wants more performant console

Burger King

Neo Member
I cant get over how everything is resting on GTA6. I still think Rockstar will launch the PC version within 6 months of launch this time. There isnt the install base to make GTA6 work sales wise on PS5 and Series compared to PS3 + 360. If it does more than 12 million copies week one then I will be amazed.

I think you underestimate GTA6 and the console market.
Furthermore, many people who buy GTA6 on consoles will repurchase it years later on PC to play it at higher settings.
I believe that Rockstar knows this well and will release the PC version at least a year later.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
For me, they will hit it out of the park by announcing it. I want the best possible experience for GTA6 or any game. If that was a multiplatform release at launch, I'd probably get it for PC but this is where we are.

Mithos

Gold Member
I was wrong. Not $799. $699. If this is real.

5cA3HYADRvcEfLDsxkebtF-970-80.jpg.webp
DOA in Europe with these "US prices" considering a PS5 w/ Disc us$499 is around ~us$680 (Sweden ~6990sek).
This could put a PS5 Pro w/ Disc us$699 at ~us$950 (Sweden ~9790sek)

Last edited:

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
Depending on PSSR, this could be as big of a leap as the one between the Xbox Series S and Xbox Series X. People should wrap their heads around that.

If it is too expensive for you, don't buy it. Should be simple, but there is definitely an agenda out there by people who don't want to feel like they all of a sudden own a PS5 Amateur, but the reality is you already do. In a normal generation, this generation could even be coming to an end. We're going to get much more time out of this generation than any generation before it.

There are also people on PC and Xbox who are really upset by the PS5 Pro.

It seems like the only people excited for the PS5 Pro are the people who can afford it. If you already have a PS5, trade it in. The used market is going to be flooded with PS5s. So if you're unable to afford a PS5 now you'll be in luck there as well.

The people pretending like the PS4 Pro wasn't enough of a boost are also hilarious and the PS5 Pro is slated to be more system level than the 4 Pro.

This is a no brainer for me and many others and Sony will be selling this at a profit. For every Pro that sells instead of a base unit, they'll be making money rather than losing money. All of this will help subsidize price cuts post-GTA6.

More units sold, greater MAU, it's a win for everyone, consumers, developers, publishers, and manufacturers.

Pro units are a good thing, stop trying to suggest otherwise because you have FOMO.

thatJohann

Now for developers they would have (in order of power)

[XSS - - - - - [PS5 / XSX - - PS5 Pro]]

XSS will continue being a pain to optimize for. I wonder if devs will just start ignoring it.

digdug2

Well it's not called PS6 for a reason.

It will be "small" in that it's not generational, but I think the end result can still be pretty profound. You'll be playing much sharper looking games, with better performance, and more ray tracing bells and whistles.

PS4 Pro was a pretty tangible increase. Go play any Pro enhanced game vs. the base console and it was immediately a much more appealing looking image
That last line is the biggest selling point for me and it feels like people are really minimizing what PS4 Pro brought to the table. The games that took advantage really excelled. The only downside for me was that it sounded like a F22 getting ready to take off in my living room.

Jooxed

Gold Member
I sold my ps5 to my buddy that didnt hae a current gen system for cheap, and I didnt relaly have anything I wanted to play all my multiplayer games i play on my series X. I will get another one eventually I am wondering if i should get the slim model or hold out for the ps5 pro?

seb85

Neo Member
I think Gaming needs a Device like PS5 Pro at this point and it is happening and honestly the whole thing that I am looking for is how the new Upscaling will work as without ML consoles are pretty doomed on IQ at this point. PS5 IQ would have been great if we didn't go to the Ray Tracing And UE5 gen. Horizon Forbidden West is a testament to that but the industry has shown us that thats no longer the path. Even RE engine is shot now with Dragon's Dogma II.

But Sony can't just offer only that this time if they will charge us 600+ US Dollars. I really want the old console practises to go away from new games. I want that the new Pro should defaultly include these standards

1. 16X Anisotropic Filtering for all games
2. Motion Blur on and off option
3. ML Based fluid motion option for 120 hz

These combined set of enhancement should be part of new Enhanced for Pro label.

And God the travel stutter of Unreal need to be fixed. After the debacle that was FFXVI IQ I don't wanna play FFXVII unless it is smooth 60fps rock solid game with everything in 60. DDII, FFXVII all these games have felt more like devolution. RE2 and RE3 on PS4 pro look more filmic than these shits.

BTW FFXVII Pc demo ain't much of an improvement, AF is broken what a disappointment for an overall good original final fantasy game.

What do you guys things would make pro worth a refresh for you?
What's the point of pro console if they don't have exclusives to show the power of it

Zacfoldor

I mean, for me, PS4 Pro seemed a huge upgrade, so if PS5 Pro is that big of an upgrade, I'm easily in.

Honestly felt sorry for those still on vanilla PS4 after I got my pro.

Zacfoldor

What's the point of pro console if they don't have exclusives to show the power of it
Exclusive modes not exclusive games.

So imagine a game goes from 1440p 30fps to 1440p 60fps. That is the best of what a pro console provides.

With PS4 pro there were also a lot of small things that seemed like upgrades that I just loved. Kinda like when you FINALLY upgrade your PC and yes you get better fps but a lot of other small things are also better/snappier that wouldn't even be worth mentioning to anyone else...but they are pretty nice. Well that is what happens with better hardware. "A rising tide lifts all boats"

Sorry for double post.

Last edited:

Raven117

Nah. Its the fact that games aren't particularly amazing. Not much to do with the hardware right now.

GTAVI is going to be the most important game this generation.

seb85

Neo Member
Exclusive modes not exclusive games.

So imagine a game goes from 1440p 30fps to 1440p 60fps. That is the best of what a pro console provides.

With PS4 pro there were also a lot of small things that seemed like upgrades that I just loved. Kinda like when you FINALLY upgrade your PC and yes you get better fps but a lot of other small things are also better/snappier that wouldn't even be worth mentioning to anyone else...but they are pretty nice. Well that is what happens with better hardware. "A rising tide lifts all boats"

Sorry for double post.
We are talking about consoles here which is aimed for casual and average gamers , anyone who is series about fps will just get a pc , the idea of PS4 pro was because of the existence of 4k tvs , I don't see the need of pro console at all

I really just want a "cost is no object" approach to a console. Legitimately high-end specs and great build quality. I know that, at the end of the day, it's up to devs to optimize their games appropriately, but it'd be nice to have hardware that essentially gives me modern PC-like performance, but without the hiccups that PC gaming so often brings with it these days.
I know everyone expects 599 discless for the pro but i really want a 699 discless pro (you still have to get the disc drive on top) but it has the specs i want rdna 4, a mid range zen 5 cpu, a full 16gb of useable ram (or even 20gb) these are the specs i really was hoping the pro would use

The R&D and production spent on the PS5 Pro could of been used to fund 3 or more new AAA single-player games instead.
this I agree with if the pros specs are as disappointing as leaked but maybe we are wrong and the pro will be better than expected (much closer to what i have envisioned and been saying) by the way nice to see you again man sorry i havent been here for a bit

Top Bottom