• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Pro needs to hit it out of the Park

Three

Games haven't reached a point to warrant a pro purchase from me. And I don't mean performance terms.

Games are all the same shit, star wars Outlaws is just more of the same mush, why go an spend all that money to make the same thing run better.

They want me to buy a pro then the devs need to start delivering unique interesting titles.
Why would a mythical "unique interesting title" that runs on base console make you go out and buy a Pro that runs it better?

Three

So you get it but you're being ignorant. Instead of focusing on games and optimizing them, it's best to just release a different hardware as if thats going to change games not being properly optimized lmao. Devs will just get lazier again with the pro. A pro wont change shit.
No, I get the reason for the existence of better performing hardware and how its existence doesn't change game output.

Look at the switch for the perfect counter-argument to you whole replies. Switch's hardware is an absolute pos and Nintendo chose to focus on what gamers love, GAMES and exclusives. But yeah we def need a PRO to play nothing.
Sure sure, what games are releasing on the Switch right now and how are they better optimised? They're not and output isn't that different.

No, we dont. Not exclusively to the PS5 and not as much as we used to. Saying otherwise is just blatantly lying.
Every "not concord like" game I just listed that released this year are PS5 only. Nobody mentioned "as much as we used to".

Hunnybun

I want decent IQ (eg HFW's performance mode or better) at 60fps. That's it, I don't care about anything else.

I think we'd have got that with the base consoles if not for RT, which the consoles can't do well anyway. But it is what it is. If the Pro gives me that then I'm happy.

TrueLegend

Tell me the difference between CoD or Horizon at 4K maxed out on the seriesX at 2.5m compared to the same settings on a 4080 at 40 cm.
Why are you dying on this hill. There are better fight to Pick up. Some people have better eye acuity and other times you get used to look of certain effect that you begin to notice, for example I bash on raytracing because it is very very heavy but ray traced contact shadow in Control makes you feel that things are seriously ahead in PC. But I do get that Microsoft has failed to give PC better ports so much so that sony has provided better ports though they are plagued with their own issues. So maybe not in those games but game with RT or unreal look horrendous on Consoles and FSR is making things kind of worse and not just those. Northlight, RENgine, whatever engine FFXVII is made on, games made on those look bad on consoles.

Sleepwalker

The main thing for me aside from going higher than 720p upscaled is cleaning up those visual artifacts from FSR. This thing will live or die by its upscaling.

Three

Haha mythical 🤣

What a clown
Mythical in that I don't think 'it' or anything will persuade you. There are "unique interesting titles" today, some of them indie. I'm more taking the piss out of you for being convinced of buying something to run this "unique interesting title" better than the same "unique interesting title" running on base console and why it needs to be a "unique interesting title" for you to want better performance/visuals.

Last edited:

StueyDuck

Mythical in that I don't think 'it' or anything will persuade you. There are "unique interesting titles" today, some of them indie. I'm more taking the piss out of you for being convinced of buying something to run this "unique interesting title" better than the same "unique interesting title" running on base console and why it needs to be a "unique interesting title" for you to want better performance.
I think you are a little defensive about a plastic toy and should go outside and interact with other humans.

Beechos

While it will be nice to have it is totally not needed especially with how games a made nowadays.

This is not past gens days where fps goes into the teens for some games. At best we are looking at 30fps going to 60fps with a slightly higher rez.

StueyDuck

Just explaining what I mean by mythical. Nice retort when you have nothing interesting or relevant to say you clown.
Retort to what. My original post has literally 100% of the information anyone needs.

What are you going on about. Why do I need to justify any purchase I make to you, stop acting like a clown.

Turns out I can spend my money on what I want and how I want 🤣

ManaByte

Gold Member
Half of the PlayStation COD userbase, and COD is yearly the #1 selling game on PS, is still on PS4 and haven't even upgraded to the PS5 yet. People don't care.

Three

Retort to what. My original post has literally 100% of the information anyone needs.

What are you going on about. Why do I need to justify any purchase I make to you, stop acting like a clown.

Turns out I can spend my money on what I want and how I want 🤣
You can do whatever you like, doesn't even need to make sense, nobody is stopping you. I was curious why a so far unreleased 'unique interesting title' would be the thing to make you buy better performing hardware.

That's what people do on forums, interact and converse with other people. Unless you think your posts here are like a diary of your thoughts and anybody who responds to them are clowns.

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
i've no interest in a PS5 pro. i'll just play games on my Slim and if they come to PC then i'll play them there with even better quality and performance.

SenkiDala

Half of the PlayStation COD userbase, and COD is yearly the #1 selling game on PS, is still on PS4 and haven't even upgraded to the PS5 yet. People don't care.
Exactly.

This gen more than ever before is dispensable. I've an XSX since launch and had a PS5 since launch too that I had to sell recently for personal reasons (and also was disappointed with the performance of FFVII Rebirth and decided to not play it until PS5 Pro).

So since I sold my PS5 I play a lot of XSX of course and also... On my PS4 Pro. And... This is almost the same ? I know that midgen consoles fucked up the "generational gap" and I can see it clearly when playing PS4 Pro. For exemple I have the PS4 version of HFW (upgradable to PS5) and... This is almost the same game ? Like 99% the same.

And I'm not talking about the dozens of indies I play, or JRPGs like Trails of series, Tales of series, and I tried the PS4 demo of Visions of Mana and this... is perfectly fine ? This is beautiful ?

Honestly there was still a little benefit of getting a PS4 Pro while you had the PS4, it was new, you wanted to see the gap, etc, but even back then that gap was tiny. And the gap between PS5 and PS5 Pro will be even smaller, and the gamers showed us, since the beginning of this gen that they're fine even with the PS4... So the PS5 Pro...

If it is at 549€ (EU price of the OG PS5) and the OG drops in price at 449... Maybe a little success. But at 599€ the digital version ? With a 129€ disc upgrade (it's the price in EU) so a total of 730€ for a PS5 Pro standard edition ?

Then the market they aim would be the same who buys the DualSense Edge, the new iPhone Pro Max every year. And that's, less than ever, the mass market.

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
iPhone 15 sales figures show the Pro models have become the default

Sony knows there is a good chance that the Pro model will attract more consumers who are simply willing to pay for the superior model.

They can recover considerable margin by pushing the Pro model as the default and the standard model as the budget model, especially with the release of GTA6.

And maybe even more paramount is that those margins, can allow them to more easily drop the price of the base unit sooner, thus selling more units overall and more software and subscriptions.

It's a complete no brainer and it's hilarious to see people who still don't see this.

It's also pro consumer for many of us who want fidelity and performance on our console. People will blame the Pro and a lack of "optimization" when the base systems start getting 30 fps games and 1080p games and they're already angry about that reality. They generally can't afford a Pro model and they resent its existence and the idea that their system will now be lesser than.

StueyDuck

You can do whatever you like, doesn't even need to make sense, nobody is stopping you. I was curious why a so far unreleased 'unique interesting title' would be the thing to make you buy better performing hardware.

That's what people do on forums, interact and converse with other people. Unless you think your posts here are like a diary of your thoughts and anybody who responds to them are clowns.
Guess it will just have to remain mythical then.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
lol no , hardware power isn't going to change anything .. it never has. it's the games. It's always the games.

ManaByte

Gold Member
£799 for a console would be Dead on arrival m8, I'd put that money towards a PC instead

I was wrong. Not $799. $699. If this is real.

5cA3HYADRvcEfLDsxkebtF-970-80.jpg.webp

AgatonSax

PS4 pro had immediate benefit of several existing games being substantially improved. I’m struggling to think of any of my existing PS5 games that would substantially benefit without a cpu boost.

If I come up with an answer I might bite.

I just want crystal clear image on a 4k screen instead of blurry mess. Who cares if your textures are ultra detailed if I cant see shit.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
I just want crystal clear image on a 4k screen instead of blurry mess. Who cares if your textures are ultra detailed if I cant see shit.
I play about 8ft from an OLED and usually on quality mode and the image is always crystal clear, hell Forbidden West had me off my sofa quite a number of times to get up close to admire the graphics they where that good, the Pro is really gonna have to do some serious work to get me to purchase, if it's basically quality mode now but at 60fps with some extra bells and whistles I'll probably pass and ride out this gen till the PS5, but if it's proper holy shit eyeball melting RT everywhere not possible on the 5, then I might take a punt

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
PS4 pro had immediate benefit of several existing games being substantially improved.
'Substantially' was relegated to higher resolution and occasionally some improved detail settings.
Why would you need a CPU boost for doing the same again?
If anything 5 has a broader range of improvement opportunities (more GPU limited field of games, and hw dedicated to IQ/fidelity improvements).

1. 16X Anisotropic Filtering for all games
2. Motion Blur on and off option
3. ML Based fluid motion option for 120 hz
These combined set of enhancement should be part of new Enhanced for Pro label.
So just to understand - are you saying these should be requirements for Pro supporting games? Or some kind of enhanced BC option (not really 'Enhanced for Pro') that works for everything?

What do you guys things would make pro worth a refresh for you?
What has been leaked by and large matches(or exceeds) what the first Pro did, so I'm mostly waiting to see if the tech actually performs as well as it promises.
Strictly speaking 300TOPs of AI compute would be exciting but I don't expect mid-gen refresh to get much support for it (outside of trivial things like image upscaler). But assuming they actually want to push enhanced RT, I'd expect to see a ML denoiser - and yea, that would be interesting at least.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
I'm done with consoles, but i've never been a fan of midgen refreshes. Why spend 2 x 500 Dollars on consoles when i can get for a little btit more a pc with cheaper games, no mp sub, better input devices, mods and much more.
Ease of use, less cheaters, simple plug in play, friends, I mean plenty of reasons. I have a 4090 and prefer consoles for simplicity and not needing all kinds of peripheries to play on couch. Just a personal preference

Loxus

Keep in mind games like The Last of Us Part 2, God of War Ragnarok, Horizon Forbidden West, etc. are running on a PS4, which looks and perform better than most next-gen only games.

We need devs optimizing their games more than a PS5 Pro, if not the PS5 Pro will run in to the same problem of lack of proper optimizing.

Last edited:

Mattyp

Gold Member
I don't understand, is this a trick question like a pound of feathers or rocks? If it's the same settings and you have no eyesight issues none, it's the same settings. except maybe even then you will probably be running at a higher fps "at 40cm".

That’s the point, there is little to no difference on most games, and the most popular titles fully maxed are identical across all systems.

The point was, people don’t need a $5,000 computer because they’re ‘missing’ something graphical wise compared to a $500 console. If they think they’re missing out they’re not, once you’re 5 minutes into enjoying any game you stop noticing pixel density.

DryvBy

The PS5 has been out for 4 years, which is more than half it's life already and we still don't have any graphic powerhouse games. I'm going to extend that to other platforms as well, Xbox and PC also are suffering from this. Achieving photo realistic graphics is rarely a thing anymore. Chasing quick cash games doesn't do that. Games that sell hardware push high end graphics. But those games typically aren't for Streamer Bros.

Returning to the system being out for 4 years, were still getting PS4 announcements. The Pro is all but a useless system at this point. If it's $100 more with a disc drive around when GTA 6 hits, I'll probably get one but only because my wife wants to play GTA with me.

Fess

The tears when the pro arrives and provides a shitty upgrade just like the PS4 pro did will be biblical.
What if PS5 Base versions start to run at 30fps going forward while the PS5 Pro versions always look better and has a 60fps framegen mode? Biblical tears?

Tell me the difference between CoD or Horizon at 4K maxed out on the seriesX at 2.5m compared to the same settings on a 4080 at 40 cm.
I play neither of those shit games. But I can tell you the difference between console Cyberpunk 2077 and PC maxed out. And that isn't only about the way it looks. More cars, more npc's, more difference between npc's. You have YouTube, you know.

TrueLegend

'Substantially' was relegated to higher resolution and occasionally some improved detail settings.
Why would you need a CPU boost for doing the same again?
If anything 5 has a broader range of improvement opportunities (more GPU limited field of games, and hw dedicated to IQ/fidelity improvements).

So just to understand - are you saying these should be requirements for Pro supporting games? Or some kind of enhanced BC option (not really 'Enhanced for Pro') that works for everything?

What has been leaked by and large matches(or exceeds) what the first Pro did, so I'm mostly waiting to see if the tech actually performs as well as it promises.
Strictly speaking 300TOPs of AI compute would be exciting but I don't expect mid-gen refresh to get much support for it (outside of trivial things like image upscaler). But assuming they actually want to push enhanced RT, I'd expect to see a ML denoiser - and yea, that would be interesting at least.
Sony apparantly will be having a set of standard for Pro enhanced games.

reinking

Gold Member
I was wrong. Not $799. $699. If this is real.

5cA3HYADRvcEfLDsxkebtF-970-80.jpg.webp
I do not think this is real. As pointed out in the other thread multiple times, this shows $100 difference to include a $80 disc drive. It makes no sense. *unless they plan to increase the price of the disc drive.😲

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Also these days anyone who really wants better graphics will by a pc. Sony needs compelling content or a great price point more than a pro console. A switch 2 will do more harm to Sony than a pro console will help.

Three

That’s the point, there is little to no difference on most games, and the most popular titles fully maxed are identical across all systems.

The point was, people don’t need a $5,000 computer because they’re ‘missing’ something graphical wise compared to a $500 console. If they think they’re missing out they’re not, once you’re 5 minutes into enjoying any game you stop noticing pixel density.
I guess you can say there are those who don't care about graphics or performance in a game they are enjoying but this isn't proven by asking somebody for a difference between same settings at different distances. Things dont really run at the same settings on different hardware and that may be important to some. You get visual improvements along with performance boosts.

Killer8

I want PS3 backwards compatibility for both the base PS5 and PS5 Pro. The base model can get the 720p experience while the Pro could get games rendered in higher res, maybe even using some sort of AI to do it like the new PSSR upscaling. It would be a similar setup to when Xbox One and later One X got BC.

I don't see why it shouldn't be possible when enthusiasts are able to get the RPCS3 emulator in a very good state running on modest desktop hardware. I don't really take Digital Foundry's opinion that it would be very hard to do PS3 BC too seriously. Sony has direct hardware access, masses of PS3 documentation and engineers on hand to write code for translation rather than emulation.

Not dropping that kind of money. My favorite PS5 games already look and run good enough for me and there's nothing even on the horizon I'm excited about that isn't some retro-ass Indie or something.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Instead of focusing on games and optimizing them, it's best to just release a different hardware as if thats going to change games not being properly optimized lmao.

What's more realistic -

Forcing/convincing/helping all of the myriad dev teams from the many different corporations out there to optimize their code when they don't really have an interest in doing so.

or

One singular company with one singular interest releasing beefier hardware to solve most of the dev teams' problems for them with brute force.

Top Bottom