• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Pro needs to hit it out of the Park

We already did the pro console thing last time. It's not complicated: games going forward will run better. Sometimes a little, some times a lot. That's it.

PS4 pro did fine, right? PS5 pro sounds like a better upgrade.
my problem with the pro & its the only problem is the cpu it legit ruins all the other upgrades (which i would be pretty happy with) seriously using the lowest end zen 5 chip would have done significant good

I always found it funny when pc players swear they want less AAA games with astronomical budgets. But then will be the first to say get a suped out pc to enjoy 4k 120fps. What developers need to do is learn to freaking optimize and put the systems and their resources into things outside of graphics. Astro Bot is a perfect example. Ratchet and Clank is still one of my favorite games from the ps5. There’s more than enough power in the base and the pro would be right there for people who want more ummph. But these developers need to learn to optimize properly.
on the topic of ratchet i cant wait for the pro patch on it quality mode id expect to do 4k native 60-120 (in a vrr container) with the added rt shadows and ambient occlusion

Depends on your definition of minimal. I play on a 55" TV. CoD runs at 1080p @ 120 FPS in multiplayer. The image quality is... bad. If PS5 Pro can run it at ~1350p and then use something of a similar quality to Intel XeSS that would be a huge upgrade to me personally.

If you're playing on a small TV or games with already high resolution (e.g., Destiny 2) the upgrade would be obviously smaller.
cod is about 1200p-1512p? the pro should be taking that to 1800p-4k

So sorry, I know I will sound really annoying, but why do people think of Hulst as the only CEO of SIE, lol? Nishino is the platform/hardware CEO, and he's been the head of PS5 Pro development for some time already (since September 2022).
id love nishino to recognize the insane statement that switching the cpu is a new gen as something insane and going against the grain for the pro

Nice. Alex "Cerny" Battaglia and Richard "Hulst" Leadbetter have said that, so this must be true.
to be fair im actually going to disagree with you if the leaked specs are true (which as i have told you i doubt) then it wont be much (unless its a game using multiple rt effects)

I'm actually in the camp of waiting out and really seeing what this brings to the table now.

I was all in day one and I might still sell one of my ps5s and upgrade but I need to see software that is new, like astro bot looking considerably better. Everything else I could want to play is on pc and with the 5090 launching early next year plus switch 2 in spring, I'm now leaning into why bother territory.

Fair play if they announce 2 exclusive sony games at the event that look nuts on the pro I'll deffo pick one up but I don't want one for legacy games when I have a pc for that, which will be considerably more powerful than a ps5 pro.
this is maybe why we shouldnt believe the leaks i think you should avoid the pro if the leaks are true however i personally dont believe much of the leaks & it will be a lot better than what was leaked

It's much worst than a 3700X because that CPU is a full fat desktop CPU, the PS5 Pro has the crippled laptop APU version so it's 8 cores 16 threads but cache massively cut down as well as clocks. The crippled cache along with using GDDR6 is why even the 3600 outperforms it. As DF has said the consoles CPU performs on the level of Zen1+ not Zen 2. The PS5 Pro will be no different.
seriousy that cpu will make this a failure of a console but lets not believe the leaks

A machine that is going to do RT at 4K at a consistent 60fps is going to cost somewhere in the region of $1000+ to the customer

That would be the only sort of machine spec I would see as "worth it" it right now, but the average consumer, myself included, is not going to pay that sort of money for a console, and it would most probably flop hard due to it's cost
your overselling they could do it if the pro is 699 discless (probably taking a slight loss as well)

DOA in Europe with these "US prices" considering a PS5 w/ Disc us$499 is around ~us$680 (Sweden ~6990sek).
This could put a PS5 Pro w/ Disc us$699 at ~us$950 (Sweden ~9790sek)
i want the pro at 699 discless (so 100 above this image) if it meant the specs i envisioned

Crayon

my problem with the pro & its the only problem is the cpu it legit ruins all the other upgrades (which i would be pretty happy with) seriously using the lowest end zen 5 chip would have done significant good

Not worried about that, myself. There's definitely going to be some games that would be able to get to 60 because of it, but we don't know how many. I would expect few. I think more of the 30fps games coming out now are because they would look like shit at 60, not cpu limitation. Aside from adding performance modes, I don't think pro game upgrades would make use of a better cpu.

An upgrade would cost something and you pay for it one way or another. So I can see why they skipped it.

Not worried about that, myself. There's definitely going to be some games that would be able to get to 60 because of it, but we don't know how many. I would expect few. I think more of the 30fps games coming out now are because they would look like shit at 60, not cpu limitation. Aside from adding performance modes, I don't think pro game upgrades would make use of a better cpu.

An upgrade would cost something and you pay for it one way or another. So I can see why they skipped it.
rt also has a cpu cost if you want more of it

I feel like we don't need a mid Gen refresh. Devs just need to make sure games can run at a locked 60fps. I find that most people I know are fine with graphical downgrades as long as the performance is on point. That's literally the point of opting for console over PC

Top Bottom