• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Pro needs to hit it out of the Park

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
What's more realistic -

Forcing/convincing/helping all of the myriad dev teams from the many different corporations out there to optimize their code when they don't really have an interest in doing so.

or

One singular company with one singular interest releasing beefier hardware to solve most of the dev teams' problems for them with brute force.
Morally letting devs learn how to optimize their games like they did with prev hw and lower end pc's instead of relying on upscalers to fo their lazy work.

Greedly your later point.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I really just want a "cost is no object" approach to a console. Legitimately high-end specs and great build quality. I know that, at the end of the day, it's up to devs to optimize their games appropriately, but it'd be nice to have hardware that essentially gives me modern PC-like performance, but without the hiccups that PC gaming so often brings with it these days.

nial

Honestly, I hope the industry moves away from AAA huge budget projects and does more Astrobot or RE4Remake or Helldivers 2 type of stuff. Unicorn Overlord was my GOTY and I'd love to see more of these types of games. Heck, Risk of Rain 2, EDF 6 or Chained Together on PC have been hilariously fun, keep it simple you game devs!
One of these is not like the others.

A system level toggle for unlocking framerates would be great. Add a warning that it could cause instability to cover themselves. Games like RDR2 run flawless at 60fps on jailbroken base PS5s. Just needs a toggle option.

I think it's going to be a dissapointment, but will wait and see. Still it will be the console to get since it will have the best versions of games on console.
Frankly this generation is a bit dissapointing all round so can't blame the pro for being more if the same.
I just hope it is smaller than the launch Ps5

Melfice7

My counter argument is that ps5 pro should fuck off and die miserably.

Bring back proper generations and not this pc-like slightly updated hardware bullshit

Fess

I really just want a "cost is no object" approach to a console. Legitimately high-end specs and great build quality. I know that, at the end of the day, it's up to devs to optimize their games appropriately, but it'd be nice to have hardware that essentially gives me modern PC-like performance, but without the hiccups that PC gaming so often brings with it these days.
Sounds like me a couple years ago. You should choose a budget and ask people here for advice on parts to build your own ultimate PC. Used to be console-only but I have two different PC builds now, desk and living room, and two Steam Deck. No hiccups anywhere, works so well now that I avoid buying anything on console even though I have all consoles.

The downsides for me as a long time console gamer is:

1. the occasions when I need a keyboard. It’s rare but when it happens it’s annoying.

2. using anything other than Steam in a couch setup. Nobody else does big screen modes so you’ll sit there with a keyboard again grumpy like me.

Just go with Steam on everything is my advice, and big screen mode. Means it’s very similar to having a console.

Could try out Playnite if you want to try a multi-store menu, not perfect but some like it.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Sounds like me a couple years ago. You should choose a budget and ask people here for advice on parts to build your own ultimate PC. Used to be console-only but I have two different PC builds now, desk and living room, and two Steam Deck. No hiccups anywhere, works so well now that I avoid buying anything on console even though I have all consoles.

The downsides for me as a long time console gamer is:

1. the occasions when I need a keyboard. It’s rare but when it happens it’s annoying.

2. using anything other than Steam in a couch setup. Nobody else does big screen modes so you’ll sit there with a keyboard again grumpy like me.

Just go with Steam on everything is my advice, and big screen mode. Means it’s very similar to having a console.

Could try out Playnite if you want to try a multi-store menu, not perfect but some like it.

Nah, I've got a gaming PC, but there's still quite a bit of stuff that's been a better experience on consoles for me either because of stuttering issues or general shoddy porting. It's not a one-size fits all thing, thus why I'd be willing to shell out for a genuinely premium console.

saintjules

Gold Member
I'm content with whatever upgrades are coming. So for example, a game that is currently locked to 4k/30fps to now running at 60 together with the highest fidelity on the Pro would be worth it alone.

Another example is FFXVI with a smooth 60fps in and out of battle. I had to stop playing it shortly after release because of the framerate issues.

I want to see the Pro eradicate any issues games have faced from a performance/fidelity standpoint.

Last edited:

Bitstream

Not sure anything like that has ever been done. Maybe the new xbox thats promising to be the biggest generational leap ever will deliver... that is of course, if they don't try to aim for parity with the series S and fire sticks.

Mr.ODST

PS4 Pro was a key disappointment for me after playing it for a few months, the real sort of "mid gen refresh" which I thought was great was the Xbox One X, Will be interesting to see if the PS5 can offer more on older titles etc

Hudo

Hardware is not Sony's problem. Getting a steady stream of games is. And a PS5 Pro won't fix that.

nial

Hardware is not Sony's problem. Getting a steady stream of games is. And a PS5 Pro won't fix that.
Not a problem either, so they're fine at the moment. You either buy the new shiny hardware or you don't, not like it matters since everything is playable on the base console.

Loxus

Not a problem either, so they're fine at the moment. You either buy the new shiny hardware or you don't, not like it matters since everything is playable on the base console.
The R&D and production spent on the PS5 Pro could of been used to fund 3 or more new AAA single-player games instead.

nial

The R&D and production spent on the PS5 Pro could of been used to fund 3 or more new AAA single-player games instead.
It wouldn't have been used for anything else regardless. Now, you don't know if it won't be worth it at the end.

Loxus

It wouldn't have been used for anything else regardless. Now, you don't know if it won't be worth it at the end.
It would of been used on the PS6 if anything. It's not like we aren't already in the PS5's 2nd half of it's lifespan.

nial

It would of been used on the PS6 if anything. It's not like we aren't already in the PS5's 2nd half of it's lifespan.
So, it's far removed from the software conversation at this point. Also, PS6 will be in 3 years the premier product of, not only SIE, but Sony Group as a whole, so I don't think there's anything to worry about, at all.

Crayon

We already did the pro console thing last time. It's not complicated: games going forward will run better. Sometimes a little, some times a lot. That's it.

PS4 pro did fine, right? PS5 pro sounds like a better upgrade.

Quasicat

Between some previous in store credit (I honestly forgot about) and trading in with my Xbox Series X, I was able to pick up a PS5 Slim and an Xbox Series S. After playing them both, I’m pretty happy with the fps on these things. I really don’t need to drop anything else on this generation. GTA VI will run fine on the current hardware. Maybe not 60 fps, but I’m fine with that as my tastes have been changing on my hobby.

I always found it funny when pc players swear they want less AAA games with astronomical budgets. But then will be the first to say get a suped out pc to enjoy 4k 120fps. What developers need to do is learn to freaking optimize and put the systems and their resources into things outside of graphics. Astro Bot is a perfect example. Ratchet and Clank is still one of my favorite games from the ps5. There’s more than enough power in the base and the pro would be right there for people who want more ummph. But these developers need to learn to optimize properly.

Senua

If I can get rich, you can too!
SDr2l46.png

GymWolf

Gold Member
You are gonna have a better gpu, better upscaling and you are gonna like it.

If only sony was brave enough to release an actual high end pro console...

Top Bottom