• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Pro Specs Leak are Real, Releasing Holiday 2024(Insider Gaming)

nick776

If CoD is best played on PS5 Pro, what reason is there to own an Xbox (assuming you do not care about paying full price for the game itself)? It is mind blowing that Xbox is allowing its competition to get the best experience of CoD instead of releasing its own Pro console. Even if it is true that Xbox is releasing next generation in 2026, to what end? By the time 2026 rolls around Sony will have gained even more ground, and Xbox will have lost what little ground it could have otherwise gained had it released its own Pro console. I just wish Microsoft would go ahead and rip the bandaid off and just make everything full Multiplatform. Enough is enough, just end the suffering now and be done with it Microsoft.

Ashamam

I just wish Microsoft would go ahead and rip the bandaid off and just make everything full Multiplatform. Enough is enough, just end the suffering now and be done with it Microsoft.

Patience young padawan, in the fullness of time your wish will be granted.

As to the point of owning an Xbox? Right now its GP, assuming you have it stacked. Without that the value proposition becomes way more situational, or personal if you prefer. Absolutely nothing Xbox has done recently has made think they are doing anything other than exiting traditional competition in the console space. So the short answer is for the next few years there is little point to owning an Xbox, other than if you already have one.

As a dual console owner with both subs until late 2026 I am watching very closely, because for the first generation in a long time I'm considering exiting console and looking at the possibility of some type of Fractal micro ITX case with AMD hardware running ChimeraOS or similar. Mind you that may be essentially what the next high end Xbox is, so interesting times ahead. Mind you half the point of shifting away from consoles would be avoiding multiplayer mandatory charges. So a new high end Xbox may not help in that regard.

Last edited:
If CoD is best played on PS5 Pro, what reason is there to own an Xbox (assuming you do not care about paying full price for the game itself)? It is mind blowing that Xbox is allowing its competition to get the best experience of CoD instead of releasing its own Pro console. Even if it is true that Xbox is releasing next generation in 2026, to what end? By the time 2026 rolls around Sony will have gained even more ground, and Xbox will have lost what little ground it could have otherwise gained had it released its own Pro console. I just wish Microsoft would go ahead and rip the bandaid off and just make everything full Multiplatform. Enough is enough, just end the suffering now and be done with it Microsoft.
MS does not really have a "strategy" anymore. They are sort of all over the place, and who knows what the division will end up looking in two years. Sad state of affairs, but MS's war-chest ended up being their undoing.

nick776

Patience young padawan, in the fullness of time your wish will be granted.

As to the point of owning an Xbox? Right now its GP, assuming you have it stacked. Without that the value proposition becomes way more situational, or personal if you prefer. Absolutely nothing Xbox has done recently has made think they are doing anything other than exiting traditional competition in the console space. So the short answer is for the next few years there is little point to owning an Xbox, other than if you already have one.

As a dual console owner with both subs until late 2026 I am watching very closely, because for the first generation in a long time I'm considering exiting console and looking at the possibility of some type of Fractal micro ITX case with AMD hardware running ChimeraOS or similar. Mind you that may be essentially what the next high end Xbox is, so interesting times ahead. Mind you half the point of shifting away from consoles would be avoiding multiplayer mandatory charges. So a new high end Xbox may not help in that regard.
My stacked GP subscriptions run out in September. I'm not seeing the reason to renew at this point.

nial

SIE games I expect to get PS5 Pro support day one:
Astro's Playroom
Demon's Souls
Ghost of Tsushima Director's Cut
Ghost of Tsushima: Legends
Death Stranding Director's Cut
Horizon Forbidden West
Horizon Forbidden West: Complete Edition
Gran Turismo 7
The Last of Us Part I
God of War Ragnarök
Horizon Call of the Mountain
Marvel's Spider-Man 2
The Last of Us Part II Remastered
Concord
Astro Bot
Until Dawn
Lego Horizon Adventures
Closely after launch:
Marvel's Spider-Man Remastered
Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales
Sackboy: A Big Adventure
Returnal
Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart
Uncharted: Legacy of Thieves Collection
Helldivers II
Rise of the Ronin
Stellar Blade
No chance in hell:
Destruction AllStars
MLB The Show 21
MLB The Show 22
MLB The Show 23
MLB The Show 24
Firewall Ultra

The PS5 was already advertised as a 4K 8K console unlike the PS4.

That's not tangibly important.

How many games are running at 4K and how many games are running at 4K60?

What you've done is take a surface-level analysis of the situation and run with it.

The reality is that FAR more people have 4KTVs now than they did in 2016. That's far more people who want the greatest in visuals with their videos games.

How many people have bought TVs that support 120hz since 2000? Significantly more than in 2016 when that wasn't really an option.

The reality is that people who bought the PS4 Pro and have 4KTVs even if they bought a PS5 already are going to be MORE likely to upgrade, than they were when they got PS4 Pro, but in your mind you think it matters that they advertised the PS5 as an 8K machine? lol...

bender

What time is it?
How many games are running at 4K and how many games are running at 4K60?

The average consumer doesn't care and that's what you are overestimating. Go into Joe Six Packs house and the majority will watch content with motion smoothing on and default calibration. Those same people have never looked at graphics options in a game and just use the default, much less worry about native resolution or frame rate. Upgrading your 1080P box (PS4) to 4K (Pro) is a much easier sell than upgrade your 4K box (PS5) to upgrade to a `better 4K box (Pro) as that jump is far more tangible but maybe not in your mind. To steal your phrase, "lol". I'd bet almost anything that PS5 Pro will perform significantly worse than PS4 Pro.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Don't care what it costs really. $600 and Im there day one. Playstation has always delivered the best console experiences for me. I own them all but im most excited for a PS5 Pro now. While I love my PC it's getting old for me troubleshooting shit 24/7 and bad unoptimized ports. Just want to game. Just hope it's not rushed and stable release.

Borowski_1

The average consumer doesn't care and that's what you are overestimating. Go into Joe Six Packs house and the majority will watch content with motion smoothing on and default calibration. Those same people have never looked at graphics options in a game and just use the default, much less worry about native resolution or frame rate. Upgrading your 1080P box (PS4) to 4K (Pro) is a much easier sell than upgrade your 4K box (PS5) to upgrade to a `better 4K box (Pro) as that jump is far more tangible but maybe not in your mind. To steal your phrase, "lol". I'd bet almost anything that PS5 Pro will perform significantly worse than PS4 Pro.

Didn't need to go that far

The soon to be the best selling console of all time is a fucking toaster that can barely run PS3 games

Peple care about games, and that system delivered on that front

The average consumer isn't who Sony is targeting for the PS5 Pro. That's the crux of your misunderstanding.

You somehow assume that the household with motion smoothing bought the PS4 Pro, when they didn't.

And the lie you're telling about going from 1080p to 4K.

The reality is that the market for 4KTV owners is significantly larger today than it was in 2016 through the end of the PS4 Pro's life span, which was only 4 years and the same early adopters (not your average consumers) who bought 4KTVs and PS4 Pros in 2016 are going to buy PS5 Pros now.

The PS5 Pro will likely be on sale for significantly longer even coming out later than the PS4 Pro did relative to the PS4.

Whether the PS5 Pro outperforms the PS4 Pro depends on a lot of factors though, but I might be willing to make that bet with you depending on those factors.

• Price
    • The PS4 Pro launched at the same price as the PS4 at launch, while the PS5 Pro will likely be 100 dollars more.
  • Performance Boost
    • Depending on how much of a boost there is will justify the price difference or it won't.
  • GTA6 on PS5 vs PS5 Pro
    • If GTA5 on PS5 Pro is equivalent in difference to games like Cyberpunk on PS4 vs PS4 Pro, then yes, you're going to see most people pick up the Pro model, even at only 100 dollars difference, that's not much of a reason not to get the Pro vs the base.

Borowski_1

Speak for yourself in this case. I already know what sort of boost in experience the PS4 Pro gave me over my base PS4, so I've been anticipating the PS5 Pro since the day I turned on my launch-day PS5.

A precedent has been set and folks know that the Pro model = everything the base model offers, dialed up to 11. PSSR has a lot of potential and improved RT could make a large difference in graphical fidelity over what the base PS5 can do. Not to mention the added benefits to PSVR2 games where we'll likely be able to get games running at higher resolutions with better graphics.

Add to that the PS5 Pro being the definitive best way to experience GTA6 at launch, and it should be a very popular device. That's not even going into the massive array of games SIE has coming for the second half of the gen.

massive array of games SIE has coming for the second half of the gen

Where are they?

bender

What time is it?
The average consumer isn't who Sony is targeting for the PS5 Pro. That's the crux of your misunderstanding.

You somehow assume that the household with motion smoothing bought the PS4 Pro, when they didn't.

And the lie you're telling about going from 1080p to 4K.

The reality is that the market for 4KTV owners is significantly larger today than it was in 2016 through the end of the PS4 Pro's life span, which was only 4 years and the same early adopters (not your average consumers) who bought 4KTVs and PS4 Pros in 2016 are going to buy PS5 Pros now.

The PS5 Pro will likely be on sale for significantly longer even coming out later than the PS4 Pro did relative to the PS4.

Whether the PS5 Pro outperforms the PS4 Pro depends on a lot of factors though, but I might be willing to make that bet with you depending on those factors.

• Price
    • The PS4 Pro launched at the same price as the PS4 at launch, while the PS5 Pro will likely be 100 dollars more.
  • Performance Boost
    • Depending on how much of a boost there is will justify the price difference or it won't.
  • GTA6 on PS5 vs PS5 Pro
    • If GTA5 on PS5 Pro is equivalent in difference to games like Cyberpunk on PS4 vs PS4 Pro, then yes, you're going to see most people pick up the Pro model, even at only 100 dollars difference, that's not much of a reason not to get the Pro vs the base.

What lie am I telling? My entire point, that you miss time and time again with really poor assumptions, is that marketing a PS5 Pro is going to be more challenging than marketing the PS4 Pro and that's not even factoring in a potential price point higher than the launch PS5. I'd make my wager regardless of that hurdle. And if you don't think consoles are aimed at the average consumer, I'm not sure this conversation is worth having. The PS4 Pro sold north of 14m units. A portion of those are going to be people upgrading or people in the know, but the lion share is going to be your typical consumer.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Don't care what it costs really. $600 and Im there day one. Playstation has always delivered the best console experiences for me. I own them all but im most excited for a PS5 Pro now. While I love my PC it's getting old for me troubleshooting shit 24/7 and bad unoptimized ports. Just want to game. Just hope it's not rushed and stable release.
Sounds like a massive skill issue.

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
Sounds similar to what GAF said about the Portal.
Are there official numbers for Portal? I can’t imagine it’s sold more than a couple 100k units. I have one and it’s an absolutely dreadful experience even sitting right next to my PS5 and high end router. I have 1gb down 300mb up. Laggy, pixelated and unreliable even when it’s working well. It’s one of the worst gaming devices I’ve ever owned and by far the worst Sony product I’ve ever owned. I really need to sell it to even get half my money back.

Mr.Phoenix

likely 1080p upsampled to 4K via PSSR and running at 120 FPS.
So 4K. The sooner people accept that reconstruction tech is the new graphics tech to arrive at some defined output rez, the better. It's as magnanimous as having AA in a game engine.
MS does not really have a "strategy" anymore. They are sort of all over the place, and who knows what the division will end up looking in two years. Sad state of affairs, but MS's war-chest ended up being their undoing.
They do have a strategy, and that is to push gamepass and become the biggest third-party publisher out there. I believe they have given up any aspirations of competing with Sony or Nintendo on the console front. This is the only logical conclusion one can arrive at if you look at everything they have been doing. The only issue with MS, is that they are not being clear about this strategy change. They are still talking outta both sides of their mouth.
Yeah, because fewer people have 4KTVs now than they did then?

I've seen this take before and it is a weak one.
I know right? Just a dumb take.
You can't have it both ways. The average consumer honestly doesn't care... or in most cases even know what they are seeing on their TV. That is true. But you cant say that and at the same time say if the average people have 4K to care about the thing will sell better.

All the average person needs to know, is that this is the new PS5. The better one. The one that means better graphics. that's it.

So 4K. The sooner people accept that reconstruction tech is the new graphics tech to arrive at some defined output rez, the better. It's as magnanimous as having AA in a game engine.
Sure, but we're always speaking about technicalities given it's an enthusiast gaming forum. It's also not as simple as saying it's just 4K since the base resolution has an impact on how the 4K output will look like in terms of image quality. 1440p upsampled to 4K will look much better than 1080p being upsampled to 4K.

vivftp

Where are they?

2024 was just the beginning and is a solid year for SIE published and console exclusive content which includes:

TLOU Part 2 Remastered
Helldivers 2
MLB24
Rise of the Ronin
FF7 Rebirth
Foamstars
Stellar Blade
Destiny 2 The Final Shape
Concord
Astro Bot
Silent Hill 2 Remake
Baby Steps
Pacific Drive
FF16 The Rising Tide DLC
Until Dawn Remastered
LEGO Horizon Adventure
Granblue Fantasy Relink

That's just an appetizer for the second half of the gen. Below I'll provide you with The Great List of Viv, which is how I see things playing out over the next 5.5 years which covers until the end of this gen (holiday 2028) plus 1 year of cross-gen with the PS6

Ok, current list of how I think the rest of the gen could play out. It's not factoring in any data from the Insomniac hack and just goes with what I already had. This is announced content, leaked, rumored, deduced, speculated and includes console exclusives. This is based on the guess that this gen will go until holiday 2028, and it also encompasses an additional 1 year cross-gen period, so up until holiday 2029. This list is what I think will on the lower end of things and in fact there will be FAR FAR FAR more content in reality, but I gotta start somewhere! Missing from the list are things we can't yet anticipate like more of the Hero project games, first party tentpole DLCs (which usually land around 1 year after release), PSVR2 titles, mobile games we're not yet aware of and more. I'm now sorting it by SIE published and third party games, so enjoy the Great List of Viv
(feel free to let me know what's missing)

First Party & SIE Published:

Concord
Astro Bot
Neon Koi's game
Spider-Man 2 DLC
Lost Soul Aside
Convallaria
Lego Horizon Adventure
Death Stranding 2 On The Beach
Jason Blundell's game
Matter
Until Dawn PS5/PC
Wolverine
MLB25
Marathon
Neil Druckmanns game (new IP)
Fairgame$
Bluepoints game
Horizon Online game (Guerrilla games)
Horizon MMORPG (NCSoft)
Cory Barlogs game (new IP)
Destiny 2 post-The Final Shape content
Horizon Zero Dawn Remaster
One of the two game-type metaverse titles Jim Ryan mentioned
Bloodborne PS5/PC
Spider-Man smaller title ala Miles Morales (probably Venom)
MLB26
Ghost of Tsushima 2
Housemarque new IP
Gravity Rush Collection PS5/PC
LEGO Horizon Adventure 2 (Forbidden West)
Jak & Daxter remaster/remake of some sort (assuming there is a movie)
Media Molecules next game
Uncharted (ND/VASG collab)
Bend new IP
Gran Turismo 8
Dark Narrative from Firesprite
Horizon 3
Ember Lab XDEV game
Sumo Digital game
God of War next mainline entry
MLB27
Havens next game after Fairgame$
Ratchet & Clank sequel to Rift Apart
From Software XDEV game
Ghost of Tsushima Legends 2
Team Asobi game (another one)
Ballistic Moon game
MLB28
Project Ooze
One of the two game-type metaverse titles Jim Ryan mentioned
TLOU Part 3
Spider-Man 3
MLB29
Physint

Third Party Console Exclusives (timed or otherwise):

Little Devil Inside
Baby Steps
Wuthering Waves
Sword of the Sea
Phantom Blade 0
Silent Hill 2 Remake
Project Mugen
ULTROS
AI Limit
DokeV
Crimson Desert
Meteora: The Race Against Space Time
Fishbowl
Mukti
Requital: Gates of Blood
Suri: The Seventh Note
KOTOR
Final Fantasy 7 part 3
Project Awakening

vivftp

Are there official numbers for Portal? I can’t imagine it’s sold more than a couple 100k units. I have one and it’s an absolutely dreadful experience even sitting right next to my PS5 and high end router. I have 1gb down 300mb up. Laggy, pixelated and unreliable even when it’s working well. It’s one of the worst gaming devices I’ve ever owned and by far the worst Sony product I’ve ever owned. I really need to sell it to even get half my money back.

I'd suggest looking up steps to try and improve your Portal experience. I also have a Portal, my PS5 and router are in my basement and I can be 2 floors up in my bedroom and have a perfectly fine streaming experience with no pixelation and little to no perceptible lag.

We do not have any numbers on the Portal, what we do know is that it's the top selling video game accessory in the USA for 2024 so far by dollar amount. Last year it was the DualSense Edge taking the top spot and so far this year it's the Portal taking that top spot.

What lie am I telling? My entire point, that you miss time and time again with really poor assumptions, is that marketing a PS5 Pro is going to be more challenging than marketing the PS4 Pro and that's not even factoring in a potential price point higher than the launch PS5. I'd make my wager regardless of that hurdle. And if you don't think consoles are aimed at the average consumer, I'm not sure this conversation is worth having. The PS4 Pro sold north of 14m units. A portion of those are going to be people upgrading or people in the know, but the lion share is going to be your typical consumer.

I mean that is the difference between someone like you and someone like me.

You make assumptions and come to conclusions with the fewest data points and your analysis is surface level.

Your first major assumption is that people bought the PS4 Pro specifically for 4K rather than improved visuals over the base PS4 or that people bought the PS5 specifically for 4K (8K).

I'll certainly look to revisit this with you in September.

I'm calling cap on you for MANY reasons
  • High-end router that you can't even specify?
  • You think that because you have 1gb down and 300mbps up that is saying something? No talk of latency or packet loss which would have been the real things you wanted to brag about tells me you have no idea what you're talking about and your network is probably trash
  • Presumably that was your experience from day 1, so you easily could have returned it

Borowski_1

I'd suggest looking up steps to try and improve your Portal experience. I also have a Portal, my PS5 and router are in my basement and I can be 2 floors up in my bedroom and have a perfectly fine streaming experience with no pixelation and little to no perceptible lag.

We do not have any numbers on the Portal, what we do know is that it's the top selling video game accessory in the USA for 2024 so far by dollar amount. Last year it was the DualSense Edge taking the top spot and so far this year it's the Portal taking that top spot.

A lot of quantity, not a whole lot of quality, and a LOT of fodder

The only thing worth noting in 2024, and the only first-party game, is Astro Bot

As for the other list, it's just wishful thinking. I'll believe it when i see

Sony this gen is predictable, boring, playing it safe. 2021 was a good year for them, but, Spider-Man 2 aside, everything else's been remasters, cross-gen stuff, games as services and mid third party exclusives

They do have a strategy, and that is to push gamepass and become the biggest third-party publisher out there. I believe they have given up any aspirations of competing with Sony or Nintendo on the console front. This is the only logical conclusion one can arrive at if you look at everything they have been doing. The only issue with MS, is that they are not being clear about this strategy change. They are still talking outta both sides of their mouth.

Microsoft still makes tons of money from game royalties and mtx on Xbox. Unlike the situation with Sega, they still generate a lot from the sale of 3rd party games. They have a larger userbase than the Dreamcast and royalties are much higher on the digital market than they were on physical games sold at retail.

Microsoft doesn't want to unilaterally give up that revenue and no one is forcing them to. Their fans are still diehards and will probably follow Microsoft to a PC based hardware future to remain in the ecosystem.

As a result we won't see a traditional exit from the market like we saw 20 years ago, but if/when they release their new hardware and it is PC based more than just in architecture, we can safely assume that they've exited the traditional market.

It'll be interesting to see if they go day 1 with all their products on PlayStation, which would be another clear sign that they've exited.

Zathalus

I'm calling cap on you for MANY reasons
  • High-end router that you can't even specify?
  • You think that because you have 1gb down and 300mbps up that is saying something? No talk of latency or packet loss which would have been the real things you wanted to brag about tells me you have no idea what you're talking about and your network is probably trash
  • Presumably that was your experience from day 1, so you easily could have returned it
You can have a perfect setup and the Portal will still be a subpar experience for some because of the framepacing issue. Sony still hasn’t delivered a fix. Bitrate could be better as well but that’s not really a gamebreaker.

The only thing worth noting in 2024, and the only first-party game, is Astro Bot

Sony this gen is predictable, boring, playing it safe. 2021 was a good year for them, but, Spider-Man 2 aside, everything else's been remasters, cross-gen stuff, games as services and mid third party exclusives

Sony has been predictable in every generation... Every system they've put out has been a natural iteration over the previous system. They've never deviated from that.

playstation-controllers-evolution.jpg

In terms of software you can't have your cake and eat it too. You say they aren't taking risks, but they've taken big risks, just not in the vein of what you personally want. Entering into GaaS was a risk. They've created more major new 1st party franchises in the last 10 years than Microsoft and Nintendo combined...

And to think some ppl thought a Pro patch wasn't gonna happen because of the ABK aquisition...

Plz.
Deep down MS does not care which system we are playing it on as long as we keep feeding the monster via battle passes and skins

Plus just wait within 24 hours of COD launch we will see some tweet on how this COD has the biggest engagement ever being on game pass

And without a doubt for those who have 4k 120fps displays the Pro will be the best console experience one can have with PSSR

You can have a perfect setup and the Portal will still be a subpar experience for some because of the framepacing issue. Sony still hasn’t delivered a fix. Bitrate could be better as well but that’s not really a gamebreaker.
I'm not saying the portal is a perfect product. It's actually a product I have zero interest in since it was rumored. I'm just calling him out on what he said, because it was mostly nonsense.

Project Q SEEMS to be Sony completely out of touch with reality.

I don't see any market for it whatsoever unless it is ultra cheap and just like an extension of the Dual Sense lineup.

The Dual Sense Edge sells for 200 dollars and apparently is selling fairly well.

So maybe for 200 dollars or so there is a market for this after all.
June 25th, 2023.

vivftp

Helldivers 2 has been a massive success this year
Destiny 2 The Final Shape is one of the highest rated releases this year and is viewed as one of the best expansions Destiny has ever released
The Last of Us Part 2 Remastered is the second best selling new release in Europe for the first half of the year.
Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth is also one of the highest rated releases this year

You can try to dismiss the list of 2024 games, but SIE's managed to produce and secure a wide array of critically and commercially popular games.

Regarding the Great List of Viv, believe what you will. Most of the PS Studios should have games releasing in the next 2 years based off of an average dev period of 5-6 years. Here's my breakdown of that:

Bored at work, so just pondering further about each studio and their timeline on the next game release. Using an average of 5-6 years for AAA game development here's where I am guessing they stand...

Naughty Dog - last original game release was June 2020. The new IP under Neil would've gone into pre-production around this time. They were also doing pre-production on TLOU Online, but they stopped dev on that. That means we're currently at the 4 year mark from the start of pre-production to today on their next original project. Based off of average turnaround time for most AAA games, it's likely this game would ship either in 2025 or 2026.

Santa Monica Studios - last original game release was November 2022. We also know that a new game under Cory is being made, and the last game shipped under Cory was released in April 2018. We don't know precisely when pre-production would have started, but it could be upwards of 6 years. Based on average AAA turnaround times, this game very well could release next year

Sucker Punch - last original game release was July 2020, with an original expansion released August 2021. It's all but certain that they're working on Ghost of Tsushima 2 and based on average AAA turnaround times this game could release either in 2025 or 2026

Guerrilla Games - last original game release was February 2022, with an original expansion released April 2023. It is highly speculated that there is a Horizon Online game in the works under Simon Larouche. Rumor has it this game could've been in development as early as 2018, which would put us around the 6 year mark now. Based on average AAA turnaround times this game could release next year

Insomniac Games - last original release was October 2023. We know they are working on a Wolverine game that was revealed to the world in late 2021 where it was said to be in very early development. That puts it at 3+ years, so based off of average AAA turnaround times this game could release in 2025 or 2026. It's also within the realm of possibility that a Spider-Man 2 DLC could show up around the 1 year anniversary of Spider-Man 2, if they follow the pattern of many other SIE studios with their tentpole releases.

Bend Studios - last original release was April 2019. We know based off reports that up until early 2021 Bend was working with Naughty Dog on a new Uncharted game, and then they asked to work on their own original project. That puts us at 3+ years for development, and we have no way of knowing how much pre-production was done prior to the studio going full steam ahead on this new IP. If we use the Days Gone release as the upper limit, this game could have been in development anywhere between 3.5 to 5 years. Based on average AAA turnaround times, this game could release 2025 or 2026

Housemarque Studios - last original release was April 2021 with a DLC released March 2022. We know the studio is working on a new IP so based off of average AAA turnaround times this game could release around 2026

Haven Studios - working on their first game, the studio was formed March 2021. Based on average turnaround time this game could release around 2026

Bluepoint - last original release was November 2020. Said to be working on an original title, this game could release in 2025 or 2026

Firewalk - first title releases this August

Media Molecule - last original release was February 2020, with some smaller releases within Dreams. We know they were supporting Dreams and in April 2023 they announced plans to end support for Dreams. We don't know specifically when development began on their next title and how much pre-production work might have been done prior to this announcement so that window could be anywhere been 1 to 4.5 years. This title could release anytime in the next 4 or so years.

Firesprite - last original release was February 2023. It has been said they were working on the Twisted Metal game that was moved over to them, but this game was cancelled around February 2024. It seems they're working on another game that's a dark horror narrative title, and that's been in development since at least September 2021. Based on average turnaround times, this game could release around 2026

Polyphony - last original release was March 2022. Based on average turnaround time, their next title could release around 2027

San Diego Studios - annual release of MLB, so their next title will release next year

Team Asobi - their next title releases this September

Neon Koi - Sony acquired them in August 2022. We have no frame of reference to guess when their title might release

Bungie - last original release was June 2024. They have announced their next title to be Marathon, and this game could release either in 2025 or 2026.

Then beyond that we have the apparent secret team under Jason Blundell, possibly working on the original IP that Deviation was previously working on. Far too many unknowns here to try and guess when their title might release.

By my count that's a potential of upwards of 14 SIE studios that could have an original title ready to release within the next couple of years. Then stack the mountain of XDEV studios on top of that.

What's my point? We gonna be eating REAL good. I keep saying it, but the latter half of this gen is gonna be defined by one word - DENSE.

As for you casually dismissing the cross-gen, remasters/remakes, live service games and third party exclusives, that just tells me your argument is not to be taken seriously. Going by that nonsensical line of thinking we'd dismiss games like Spider-Man Miles Morales, Demon's Souls, Final Fantasy 16, Gran Turismo 7, Horizon Forbidden West, God of War Ragnarok, Helldivers 2, Destiny 2 The Final Shape, Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth, Ghost of Tsushima DC with the Iki Island expansion, TLOU Part 1 & 2 and more.

Some of the best games released this gen and you're keen to casually dismiss them outright because... reasons. If those games don't float your particular boat then that's fine. Objectively speaking SIE's been on fire this gen in spite of the pandemic smashing apart their lineup. They're now past the delays caused by the pandemic and like I said, 2024 is just an appetizer of what's to come in the second half of the gen.

As for you casually dismissing the cross-gen, remasters/remakes, live service games and third party exclusives, that just tells me your argument is not to be taken seriously. Going by that nonsensical line of thinking we'd dismiss games like Spider-Man Miles Morales, Demon's Souls, Final Fantasy 16, Gran Turismo 7, Horizon Forbidden West, God of War Ragnarok, Helldivers 2, Destiny 2 The Final Shape, Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth, Ghost of Tsushima DC with the Iki Island expansion, TLOU Part 1 & 2 and more.

Some of the best games released this gen and you're keen to casually dismiss them outright because... reasons. If those games don't float your particular boat then that's fine. Objectively speaking SIE's been on fire this gen in spite of the pandemic smashing apart their lineup. They're now past the delays caused by the pandemic and like I said, 2024 is just an appetizer of what's to come in the second half of the gen.

The reality is games moving forward are almost all going to be "cross-gen" by nature of architecture.

Just like we have consoles with hard drives and as a result we don't play games based on discs or cartridges anymore on consoles, things simply change.

Game design has reached a point where it currently isn't changing based on architecture. Maybe this changes due to AI requirements which I think will be the next big evolution, but I'm unconvinced that you couldn't run Octopath Traveller on a PS2.

I don't think we'll ever be past the delays caused by the pandemic. It's time you never get back. It just what it is, but I agree with you, there really isn't anyone in the industry doing a better job of game production than Sony is and it isn't even close. The only way to compare Sony negatively is to compare them against the entire industry.

vivftp

The reality is games moving forward are almost all going to be "cross-gen" by nature of architecture.

Just like we have consoles with hard drives and as a result we don't play games based on discs or cartridges anymore on consoles, things simply change.

Game design has reached a point where it currently isn't changing based on architecture. Maybe this changes due to AI requirements which I think will be the next big evolution, but I'm unconvinced that you couldn't run Octopath Traveller on a PS2.

I don't think we'll ever be past the delays caused by the pandemic. It's time you never get back. It just what it is, but I agree with you, there really isn't anyone in the industry doing a better job of game production than Sony is and it isn't even close. The only way to compare Sony negatively is to compare them against the entire industry.

To clarify, when I say that SIE are past the pandemic delays I am referring to Totoki's statements earlier this year when he noted that they are now past the disruptions to their pipeline caused by the pandemic.

Dorfdad

Gold Member

A lot of what you said may be true some of it opinion based but this is what happens when you don’t have competition in the space. Sony doesn’t have to push harder as they already are dominating.

This means they will drag the gen as long as possible, spend less r&d on ps5 features etc. this is why I’m really hoping Microsoft releases a bad ass console in 2025-2026 that challenges and forces the Ps6 to be a monster.

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights

You forget PSVR2.

I mean yeah, Sony are playing it safe if you exclude the areas where Sony arent playing it safe.

Borowski_1

A lot of what you said may be true some of it opinion based but this is what happens when you don’t have competition in the space. Sony doesn’t have to push harder as they already are dominating.

This means they will drag the gen as long as possible, spend less r&d on ps5 features etc. this is why I’m really hoping Microsoft releases a bad ass console in 2025-2026 that challenges and forces the Ps6 to be a monster.

From a business point of view sure, they're getting what they want

But you and me are not stock investors. It's not our job to care about those things

When people come at me saying "Helldivers 2 is the best selling game in 2024, and TLOU 2 port is the second best" i couldn't care less.

I barely play on my PS5 these days. That's how exciting it is right now.

The only thing exciting for this year and the next, as far as exclusives goes, is Astro Bot, which speaks volumes

System seems like it'll be good. I'm really interested to see if games like Cyberpunk get a little something.

I know development ceased on it, but they really did a nice job fixing it up from what I have read and seen.

A nice Pro patch would be a great reason to finally pick it up

splattered

I wish Sony/MS would hurry up with PS5-Pro/XSX-2 already

I'm not getting any younger, i wanna see what's next for my favorite hobby.

Top Bottom