• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS6 Specs you expect?

Kerotan

Assuming Xbox actually launches a next gen console in 2026 it's safe to safe we'll get a PS6 by 2027/28 which is only 3/4 years away.

So with the PS6 looming over the horizon and the PS5 Pro specs revealed what sort of horsepower do you expect the PS6 to have?

reinking

Gold Member
Expectations Business Loans GIF by Aurora Consulting

I wouldn't even know in what kind of metric I should wrap my expectations here. TLFOPS? What do these even mean?

Do we need 8K resolution?
Do we need even higher res and bigger textures?
I don't know what all of this would really add to my enjoyment of a game.

What I can tell is that I'd appreciate higher and more consistent framerates with great timings.

Other than that, I really can't think of anything that I could get excited for in terms of performance?

Go_Ly_Dow

Not sure, but I guess the hook will be a GPU and CPU combo that can do path tracing RT or whatever, some older and less visually intensive games capable of 8k (pure gimmick) and 120fps. On top of that PSSR.

I could see it releasing holiday 2027 for a few reasons such as the generational lines and technology now being blurred by iterative technology, the digital library and accounts carry over and games that now scale up and down just like PC games. PS5 min spec low with lower resolution, fps and minimal RT, PS5 pro the mid spec with moderate RT and the PS6 high spec with highest resolution, framerates and lots of RT features.

When you consider all of that and with higher price points becoming the norm they no longer really need to define the generations and delay the release of new hardware because cross-gen is now a common thing.

Last edited:

Knot3D

More important than just hardware specs, will be game dev kits and game engine tools because it's quite apparent that game development at the moment is inefficient, and unsustainable already.
And with so much AI hype nowadays, the actual in-game AI is more often than not, still stupid AF. That really needs to change, as well as environments that are still too static/non-interactive too often.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Whatever it is, it’ll be on par with a mid-range gaming PC and will feel disappointing compared to whatever shiny new GPU comes out around the same time.

PeteBull

Assuming Xbox actually launches a next gen console in 2026 it's safe to safe we'll get a PS6 by 2027/28 which is only 3/4 years away.

So with the PS6 looming over the horizon and the PS5 Pro specs revealed what sort of horsepower do you expect the PS6 to have?
Around 4090 perfomance, if above then not much, at max 30% above.

Schachtier

Neo Member
I guess they have to go back to custome hardware. This "supercharched pc architecture" is nonsense bc devs just have to port pc games to consoles.

night13x

ps6 will be comparable to the following:

RTX 6090 (possibly 6 series TITAN)
amd varient Pathtracing extreme enabled
64gb of ram
10tb NVME gen 6 SSD
The worse amd limiting cpu to continue tradition so fps wont be that high
*up to 16k resolution - most games will run 4k 30fps in performance mode

$3k price tag. Digital only with DRM checks.

DAY 1 for me!

In all seriousness. the ps6 could be interesting where it lands since AMD isnt pushing high end gpu next round ....so we will have to see where they go. 4090 levels is probably a good guess. I am prepared for a $1k digital only console though since sony has been pushing pricing up up up lately.

vivftp

Some tidbits of my hopes:

- RERAM will be used in place of the SSD. 10x the raw speeds of the PS5 SSD (if Sony ever kicks off production of this tech, heh)
- Dual WIFI chips, one to connect to the internet and the second will be used for direct connection to the Portal successor and to PSVR3 for wireless gaming
- DualSense 2 will have the ability to connect directly to the internet like the Stadia controller for cloud gaming on other devices

Of course it'll also have an updated version of PSSR that will allow the console to punch well above its weight class. Improved RT/PT and all those bells and whistles.

hinch7

If we're looking at 2027 earliest

UDNA/RDNA 5 and 4090D like performance.
8 core Zen 6
32GB GDDR7

Pricing wise similar to PS5 Pro.

Last edited:

Xyphie

The biggest challenge in the next generation will be to deliver a mainstream platform at an affordable price while also delivering a substantial performance upgrade for prosumer users. Therefore Sony will deliver two versions at launch, PS6 Standard and PS6 Pro.

Will be chiplet-based with a CPU tile, GPU tile, possibly some sort of I/O tile. Both will feature the same CPU and I/O. Pro SKU will come with a ~2x GPU upgrade, possibly by using two GPU tiles somehow. CPU may use a mixture of large 2-4 ZenX cores with higher clocks and the rest ZenXc cores for optimal area use. No ODD it's the end of the road for physical media, games sold at retail are just redemption keys. There may be some USB drive accessory in the market to play PS4-PS5-era games though.

Example spec:

PS6 Standard:
4x Zen7, 4xZen7c
~40WGP GPU
128-bit 36GT/s GDDR7 16-24GB ~576GB/s
2-4x PCIe6 storage
Inflation adjusted price: ~$500

PS6 Pro:
4x Zen7, 4xZen7c
~80 WGP GPU
256-bit 36GT/s GDDR7 24-32GB ~1152GB/s
2-4x PCIe6 storage
Inflation adjusted price: ~$1000

Last edited:

GreyHand23

I think it’s more likely to come in 2029/2030. The price of PS5 hasn’t even been reduced yet so they will most likely extend this generation to get as much out of it as possible.

sendit

The biggest challenge in the next generation will be to deliver a mainstream platform at an affordable price while also delivering a substantial performance upgrade for prosumer users. Therefore Sony will deliver two versions at launch, PS6 Standard and PS6 Pro.

Will be chiplet-based with a CPU tile, GPU tile, possibly some sort of I/O tile. Both will feature the same CPU and I/O. Pro SKU will come with a ~2x GPU upgrade, possibly by using two GPU tiles somehow. CPU may use a mixture of large 2-4 ZenX cores with higher clocks and the rest ZenXc cores for optimal area use. No ODD it's the end of the road for physical media, games sold at retail are just redemption keys. There may be some USB drive accessory in the market to play PS4-PS5-era games though.

Example spec:

PS6 Standard:
4x Zen7, 4xZen7c
~40WGP GPU
128-bit 36GT/s GDDR7 16-24GB ~576GB/s
2-4x PCIe6 storage
Inflation adjusted price: ~$500

PS6 Pro:
4x Zen7, 4xZen7c
~80 WGP GPU
256-bit 36GT/s GDDR7 24-32GB ~1152GB/s
2-4x PCIe6 storage
Inflation adjusted price: ~$1000
Sony won't deliver two versions (power configurations) at launch. Microsoft has already proved this idea to boneheaded, why would Sony attempt to replicate it?

Eimran

I honestly don't care anymore if the first party library is as poor as the current one.

Xyphie

Sony won't deliver two versions (power configurations) at launch. Microsoft has already proved this idea to boneheaded, why would Sony attempt to replicate it?

They'll have the same problem as Microsoft in two months then. Otherwise you're just going to have a PS6 at $1000 which the mainstream won't buy. Or a shitbox that prosumers will hate.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Custom GPU of the equivalent of a 6090TI.

CPU custom AMD Zen 6

10TB SSD.

Phase or cryogenic cooling system.

Able to run games at 8K and 120 FPS with ease.

I've probably been a bit conservative, but we need to consider costs. If Sony went too OTT then we'd be looking at a £1000 console.

Radical_3d

I know that 16x and 8x jumps in RAM capacity are no longer on reach with today’s slow development technology. But I want 64GB. They owe me from this gen.

GermanZepp

New cpu, faster ram with extra for os, pssr and AI stuff, upgraded raytracing, double the ps5 pro in raster, larger ssd.

RespawnX

I would really be surprised if the PS6 passes RTX 4090 by a bigger margin.

If they want to sell the thing, they need to keep the consumer costs <600 bucks (in Europe!) and they need to sell large quantities cause development cotsts keep rising and you need a huge player base to be sustainable.

Also take into account that AMD has left the high-end market and Nvidia has clearly left AMD behind with the 4000 series. I assume that AI models will play a much bigger role as today so we need some RAM for local capabilities.

Zen5+/Zen6
24-32 GB RAM
PCIe5 2Tb
RTX 4090 + ~10-20%

599 digital

If global market situation doesn't recovers and PS5 keeps missing sale targets I somehow expect additionally a PS5 lite as Microsoft did it with Series S/X but with a smaller performance gap.

If Microsoft does not hit better with the next Xbox and straigthens up they strategy we better plant some money trees.

Hohenheim

A solid cpu upgrade must be the most important thing.
As for frames, upscaling etc in general, I think it will be between the rtx 4080 and 4090 in performance. Which would be a huge jump from the ps5/series x.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
If Pro is 17TF with some bells and whistles, I'll just take a wild guess and say it'll be around triple in power.

I'm not basing it on anything really except PS4 pro went from 4TF to PS5 at 10 TF which is 2.5x.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
If Pro is 17TF with some bells and whistles, I'll just take a wild guess and say it'll be around triple in power.

I'm not basing it on anything really except PS4 pro went from 4TF to PS5 at 10 TF which is 2.5x.
TF's are like toilet paper, useless for determining how much shit they can handle

Loxus

This is my idea.
Chiplet design with a 3 SED, 1 CCD and a I/O die.
A chiplet design means we can have a Base and Pro PS6 day one.

sFPpBlx.png

This is assuming PS6 is scheduled for a 2027 release.
Zen6 and RDNA5 are rumored for 2026-2027.
TSMC N2 is also scheduled for a 2026-2027 release.

UDNA is not needed for console gaming as that is design for cloud-to-client.

With the console most likely going full AI with Path Tracing, HBM4 with it high bandwidth maybe possible because it removes the expensive interposer in favor of 3D stacking.

Moving the SSD controller to the I/O to possibly remove PCIe bottlenecks and improve latency, that way we may possibly see split second loads.

Chip would be cooled utilizing Sony double sided heatsink patent.

Die sizes are 90% accurate as I used AutoCAD to scale Strix Point die shot to 2nm.
I would update this when PS5 Pro and RDNA4 die shot is available and as most fascinating tech is released.

Last edited:
Top Bottom