• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Roland Garros - The 2015 French Open (OT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diamond

Funny interview at the end, with Djokovic answering to Fabrice Santoro, congratulating him on his game and asking him to make a come back, in a very good french.

I really don't see him lose against Rafa. If he keeps his head cool, he has it (still easier said than done of course).

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
So, everyone else is going to be watching the real final on Wednesday, right?

Clayray vs. Clayrer will be the match of our lifetimes.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Definitely didn't expect this after the first set. But it is Kvitova, so maybe I should have.

szaromir

Banned
So, everyone else is going to be watching the actual final on Sunday, right?

Clayray vs. Clayerer will be the match of our lifetimes.
Fixed.

Kinda hate it that the quarters have to be played at the same time, though I guess it makes it fair for the winners of both matches - same amount of rest.

The Bacsinszky vs. Van Uytvanck quarterfinals will be one for the ages.

Thank goodness we have Serena. Otherwise the WTA would have full blown parity.

On the other side, the men have 7 of the top 8 ranked players in the quarters

Singles QF Players by nation:

Switzerland: 3
Spain: 3
Serbia: 2
UK: 1
Japan: 1
France: 1
USA: 1
Italy: 1
Belgium: 1
Ukraine: 1
Czech Republic: 1

rest of the world, are you even trying?

MIMIC

Banned
So Nadal-Djokovic is happening, huh?

Djokovic is primed to win in straight sets. I feel like this is the match that we didn't get in 2011. He's never been more ready to take down Nadal.

If Novak doesn't win, I think I might jump off of a bridge. He will have to play some of the worst tennis of his career to fuck up this opportunity. He's in great form, the weather will be perfect playing conditions for him (not more than 70F), Nadal looks shaky, and he doesn't have the pressure of being unbeaten for the year.

If Nadal somehow manages to win, then I just don't know. I just don't fucking know.

Acosta

Djokovic is primed to win in straight sets. I feel like this is the match that we didn't get in 2011. He's never been more ready to take down Nadal.

If Novak doesn't win, I think I might jump off of a bridge. He will have to play some of the worst tennis of his career to fuck up this opportunity. He's in great form, the weather will be perfect playing conditions for him (not more than 70F), Nadal looks shaky, and he doesn't have the pressure of being unbeaten for the year.

If Nadal somehow manages to win, then I just don't know. I just don't fucking know.

Rafa will win this, so please don't jump off of any bridge.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.

Maybe he'll run into the net on every key point.

szaromir

Banned
Nadal-Djoker is certainly going to be interesting. IMO Djoker should feel a ton more pressure because a loss for Nadal is not going to be a big deal for his career, meanwhile Djokovic is desperately chasing that elusive maiden RG win in order to finally be on the same pedestal as Rafa and Roger. Rafa probably still has confidence from his previous two wins over Novak at RG despite going into both with losing streaks against Djoker.

As for their form in this tournament, both have seemed really good, both are playing a lot more aggressive than what we're used to seeing from them. Rafa's forehand is clicking, though his serve and backhand seem lesser than they were in 2013 - could be something for Novak to exploit. Novak on the other hand seems in his best form since 2011, possibly better than back then as he now has better serve and more variety.

sam777

Like I said earlier, I am a massive Nadal fan and have watched the majority of his games this year and if Djokovic doesn't beat Nadal this year he never will at the French.

Also Nadal's serving hasn't been on point so far this tournament and I worry about that playing Djokovic.

Like I said earlier, I am a massive Nadal fan and have watched the majority of his games this year and if Djokovic doesn't beat Nadal this year he never will at the French.

Also Nadal's serving hasn't been on point so far this tournament and I worry about that playing Djokovic.

That would suck, but Federer never beat Nadal at the French and he's still considered GOAT

MIMIC

Banned
Nadal-Djoker is certainly going to be interesting. IMO Djoker should feel a ton more pressure because a loss for Nadal is not going to be a big deal for his career, meanwhile Djokovic is desperately chasing that elusive maiden RG win in order to finally be on the same pedestal as Rafa and Roger. Rafa probably still has confidence from his previous two wins over Novak at RG despite going into both with losing streaks against Djoker.

On the contrary: Nadal's career DEPENDS on the French at this point. Recently, he has been planning his year around being fresh for the clay season. He has already skipped the U.S. Open twice and just doesn't play at all during the indoor season. Not winning here would mean that it was all for naught.

Of course, Djokovic would be devastated should he lose, but he's just going to regroup and try again next year (like 2012, 2013, and last year).

zero_suit

It looks like Serena is about to get #20!

On the men's side, I kind of want Nadal to win. No one would ever get close to 10 GS titles at one event, and it would be the 10th consecutive year he's won a major. Plus, we all know Djokovic will lose 2-3 matches max when HC season comes back.

MIMIC

Banned
Serena looks shaky. I don't know who she has left to play, but she seems pretty beatable to me. Hopefully she goes all the way, but it definitely won't be easy.

CGQa4s-UkAAr3SE.jpg

The fake eyebrows help Bacsinsky's eyes pop.

CGPZtMZUQAAyDbq.jpg

Milchmann

Serena looks shaky. I don't know who she has left to play, but she seems pretty beatable to me. Hopefully she goes all the way, but it definitely won't be easy.

QF: Errani SF: Bacsinszky/van Uytvanck F: Ivanovic/Svitolina/Muguruza/Safarova

Muguruza and Ivanovic could trouble her on a good day. Don't know about Bacsinszky in huge matches.

sam777

On the contrary: Nadal's career DEPENDS on the French at this point. Recently, he has been planning his year around being fresh for the clay season. He has already skipped the U.S. Open twice and just doesn't play at all during the indoor season. Not winning here would mean that it was all for naught.

Of course, Djokovic would be devastated should he lose, but he's just going to regroup and try again next year (like 2012, 2013, and last year).

Nadal didn't intentionally skip US Open, well definitley not last year as I remember he had to miss the two masters tounaments (Montreal and Cincinnati) before the US Open as well.

Plus he was the holder of all these 3 tournaments at the time, so Nadal also has a lot of rankings points available to him to gain post Wimbledon, so no worries over his low/lower ranking yet.

szaromir

Banned
Nadal's season depends on the French, not his career. He's going to remain the greatest FO player of all time for as long as that event will be held (so possibly hundreds of years) should he lose or win on Wednesday. The only title really missing in his portfolio is the year-end championship, but that's secondary or tertiary to winning a specific major (or to an additional major if you have all of them already).

Damn the men's QFs look so juicy. Nadal/Djokovic speaks for itself, but the others are all pretty good on paper themselves. Murray/Ferrer played out two gruelling QFs in 2012 at both RG and Wimbledon (Ferrer won at RG, Murray at Wimbledon) - good matchup if you like long baseline duels. Nishikori has breezed to the QFs without losing a set, but Tsonga's been in good form in taking out Berdych, and should be able to use the home fans in a way Monfils, Chardy and Gasquet all failed to today. And okay, Federer/Wawrinka used to be one of the most lop-sided matchups around, and Federer did recently sweep him away in Rome, but this is 2015, Wawrinka is a GS champion, and they played out a great match at last years World Finals. He should at least be able to make a match of it.

On the women's side... eh. Serena will probably have an easier QF opponent than in either of her R3 or R4 matches. Safarova should win her match if she plays anything like as well as she did today against Sharapova and I don't know much about Van Uytvanck or Bacsinszky. Ivanovic/Svitolina might be good - I've been impressed with both of them during the tournament and they're playing with a real shot of making the final with how many big threats have fallen.

mcfrank

Real Ideal Scenario:

Nadal beats Djoker
Nadal beats Murray
Fed beats Nadal in the finals, finally getting that monkey off his back.

MIMIC

Banned
Nadal's season depends on the French, not his career. He's going to remain the greatest FO player of all time for as long as that event will be held (so possibly hundreds of years) should he lose or win on Wednesday. The only title really missing in his portfolio is the year-end championship, but that's secondary or tertiary to winning a specific major (or to an additional major if you have all of them already).

What I meant by that is that as it stands right now, Nadal's career IS the French because of how vulnerable he is on non-clay surfaces. And RG is seemingly the only slam where Nadal can remain successful.

szaromir

Banned
What I meant by that is that as it stands right now, Nadal's career IS the French because of how vulnerable he is on non-clay surfaces. And RG is seemingly the only slam where Nadal can remain successful.
Going forward, yes. But what he has already achieved makes for a tremendous legacy and you can't ignore that. Djokovic still has to lift some more trophies to match that legacy, that's why he's under more pressure for me.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Damn. For a guy who has won 14 grand slams I did not think he would be this hated. I always thought Nadal was the most popular guy after Federer. Seeing this thread it seems I was mistaken.

Most Federer fans hate Nadal because 14 is a scarily close number to 17. They usually like Djokovic because 8 is a much smaller number than 17 and it stops 14 getting bigger. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Winners in terms of how much I want them to win:

Tsonga (you all should, the man is 30, one of the best players of his generation, and this is his home slam. Shame on you, I say!)
Ferrer (he's made the final here before, been a consistently excellent player through-out his career, and is not given anywhere near enough respect)
Nishikori (payback for Madrid, hopefully a sign of more to come)
Murray (the meltdowns would be *incroyable*)
Wawrinka (just to entrench the fact he isn't a flash in the pan)
Djokovic (he'd have actually beaten Nadal to win, instead of waiting for Soderling to choke)
Nadal (La Decima)
Federer (yawn)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom