• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
H_Prestige said:
This is really reaching far. The only question that matters is if the ngp is the most powerful handheld device for 2011/12? Anyone sane would say yes it is, and it will remain so for quite a long time.

Could Sony have gone with some custom frakenstein design with cell, 12 core gpu, and mini bluray or something and make something with even more horsepower? Sure. But that would be dumb.
Cellphones will have the same class of hardware in 2012.

Doorman

So uhh...exactly how much is a "notch," in practical looking-at-the-game-on-a-TV terms? How would you compare the PS2 to the original Playstation? Was that a notch? Hop? Jump? Leap? Stride? Step up? Revolution?

A lot of people are hooking onto a single word with an extremely vague definition and seemingly already basing not only their personal purchasing decision but the future of the industry on it.

Chrange said:
I just checked on Futureshop.ca and to get a complete controller setup for the Wii (Wiimote, nunchuk and motionplus) is 44.99, 24.99, and 24.99. So...yeah.

Uh, why would you pay for a Wiimote and M+ separately?

Doorman said:
So uhh...exactly how much is a "notch," in practical looking-at-the-game-on-a-TV terms? How would you compare the PS2 to the original Playstation? Was that a notch? Hop? Jump? Leap? Stride? Step up? Revolution?

A lot of people are hooking onto a single word with an extremely vague definition and seemingly already basing not only their personal purchasing decision but the future of the industry on it.

PS2->Xbox would be a notch, I suppose.

Mr_Brit

Banned
wwm0nkey said:
Have to love detective GAF. So if it is the Trinity we are all good then correct? DX 11 support and all that jazz?
Pretty sure the part they suspect is in the Wii 2 is DX10 only which means probably no tesselation(unless Nintendo keep it in which is unlikely as they'll want to cut costs as much as possible).

Huff

Banned
oatmeal said:
Casuals don't upgrade every 5 years.

A ton of the casuals that bought the Wii are going to be fine with the Wii, especially when they only own Wii Sports and Just Dance.

Casuals update their iphone and ipad every year. I think more people will upgrade than you think. As long as they see a benefit to upgrading (unlike the 3DS so far)

_Xenon_

Banned
Even it's only on par with X360 that's already a huge leap TBH. Multi-core + programmable rendering pipeline. It makes graphics programming hella lot easier than their Wii TEV thingy does.

Lonely1 said:
Cellphones will have the same class of hardware in 2012.

They will have quad core cpu/gpu running at the same clockspeed complete with 128mb VRAM and separate neon media streaming engine?

And weren't the ps1, ps2, and ps3 all easily surpassed in hardware power within a year?

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Mr_Brit said:
Pretty sure the part they suspect is in the Wii 2 is DX10 only which means porbably no tesselation(unless Nintendo keep it in which is unlikely as they'll want to cut costs as much as possible).
Well, even the 3DS support Tesselation.

yoopoo

Banned
If this machine is only slightly more powerful than 360, then just like multi platform games just like on Wii, games won't be selling more than the competetion this console either...most likely because Nintendo will again have broken online service.

Futureman

Mr_Brit said:
No they won't. There might be one or two phones with quad core CPU/GPUs but it won't be mainstream.

There should be quad-core chips hitting tablets and phones by the end of this year I believe.

Mr_Brit

Banned
_Xenon_ said:
Even it's only on par with X360 that's already a huge leap TBH. Multi-core + programmable rendering pipeline. It makes graphics programming hella lot easier than their Wii TEV thingy does.
If it's on par with the 360 then Nintendo will be in the same place next gen as they are in this gen and they'll struggle for third party support so will therefore not attract hardcore gamers.

Mr_Brit said:
Pretty sure the part they suspect is in the Wii 2 is DX10 only which means probably no tesselation(unless Nintendo keep it in which is unlikely as they'll want to cut costs as much as possible).

Amd's stock Trinity is DX11, unless this is custom downgraded, which I would find surprising.

oatmeal said:

A ton of the casuals that bought the Wii are going to be fine with the Wii, especially when they only own Wii Sports and Just Dance.

Casuals with money do.
Casuals that like having the latest fun party game do.
Mario sells to all.

Kusagari

So, we go from way more powerful than PS3/360 to slightly more powerful than 360. This puts Nintendo in the same rut as before once the 720/PS4 launch.

Slime

Banned
Eteric Rice said:
The rumors say that it'll have analog sticks, so I'd ad those. Also, add two more buttons.

Other than that I'd say you're pretty spot on for whats in my mind.

Maybe something more like this?

35bblld.jpg

But...

Zeliard said:
The issue with these mockups is still that screen. It's a 6" screen, presumably diagonally, which is over a 5" screen in horizontal length. That's bigger than the NGP's screen which is 5" diagonally.

Yeah, it would be ginormous. When you put it like that I don't think I have any clue as to what the layout would be like. It would basically have to be a mini tablet, and if that's what it really is, where the hell can the buttons go and how can it be in any way ergonomic? Guess I'm back to square one.

oatmeal

Banned
BroHuffman said:
Casuals update their iphone and ipad every year. I think more people will upgrade than you think. As long as they see a benefit to upgrading (unlike the 3DS so far)

Casuals don't update their iphone and ipad every year.

The hardcore do.

Out of everyone in my family that owns a Wii (and we all do, me, both of my sisters, my brother and my parents...hell my grandparents have it), I will be the only one that upgrades.

Those are the casuals I'm talking about.

J-Rock

Banned
oatmeal said:

It's interesting because casuals don't care about systems at all. They just like to play whatever game is trending hot. The system just needs to be reasonably priced and have a game people can't stop talking about.

Mr_Brit

Banned
Lonely1 said:
Well, even the 3DS support Tesselation.
The 4000 series does have a tesselator but I can't imagine Nintendo not cutting it out to lower costs. With DS, Wii and 3DS Nintendo have proved that they'll take any avenue to cut costs.
Sir_Crocodile said:
Amd's stock Trinity is DX11, unless this is custom downgraded, which I would find surprising.
Really? The detective GAF thread speculated that a 4000 series derivative is the likeliest part and that is a DX10.1 part.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Lonely1 said:
Is not in the same class of effort as the PSP.

A look at relative smartphone hardware doesn't determine that. That's more positive commentary on the evolution of smartphones and smartphone components than an indictment of Sony, IMO. It's not unlike the rise of PC GPUs vs custom console hardware - everyone switched to PC architectures simply because they were the best, just as everyone now uses (or will use) off-the-shelf smartphone architectures simply because that's where technical growth is being driven. Ironically, performance wise NGP compares a lot better to 'commodity hardware' than the PS3 did to the PCs of its day, at least on the GPU side...yet you apparently laud PS3 while saying NGP relatively skimps. (That, of course, is a side effect of everyone playing with the same power & cost envelopes in the mobile space - not so much in the home space, PCs and consoles have completely different budgets to deal with there).

Again, I don't know if Sony could put more performance into NGP without compromising battery life too much, or without a smaller process which won't be available til next year. Do you think they could?

Lonely1 said:
Also, the PSP had the same (and more later on) RAM than the Ps2 and launched 4 years into the PS2 life, rather than what, five of Ps3 if it launches this year?

Relative to their home systems that looks about the same to me...NGP may be arriving later in the home cycle, but this is a longer home cycle...

Anyway, this is all going OT, but suffice to say I think it's misguided to consider NGP an indication that Sony won't go with a big upgrade on the home side. Maybe they will, maybe they won't, but I don't think NGP is any indication of the latter at all.

Huff

Banned
oatmeal said:
Casuals don't update their iphone and ipad every year.

The hardcore do.

Out of everyone in my family that owns a Wii (and we all do, me, both of my sisters, my brother and my parents...hell my grandparents have it), I will be the only one that upgrades.

Those are the casuals I'm talking about.

You already know they won't get the wii 2? When all we have are rumors.. Impressive.

The line between casual and hardcore is very blurry nowadays when it comes to technology.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
H_Prestige said:
They will have quad core cpu/gpu running at the same clockspeed complete with 128mb VRAM and separate neon media streaming engine?

And weren't the ps1, ps2, and ps3 all easily surpassed in hardware power within a year?

Is very likely that the NGP CPU is running lower clock than current Tegra 2 devices. Anyway, while the PSP reining supreme in the handheld scene for years, the same can't be said for the NGP. It will have the best looking games, because the mobile scene has budget, storage concerns and other priorities (which is also an advantage for the 3DS).

Zeliard

Slime said:
Yeah, it would be ginormous. When you put it like that I don't think I have any clue as to what the layout would be like. It would basically have to be a mini tablet, and if that's what it really is, where the hell can the buttons go and how can it be in any way ergonomic? Guess I'm back to square one.

Don't feel too bad, people have been trying to wrap their heads around what this thing must look like and how it must function with some futility ever since the 6" screen was revealed. :p

That screen throws a monkey wrench into any considerations.

oatmeal

Banned
BroHuffman said:
You already know they won't get the wii 2? When all we have are rumors.. Impressive.

Yes, I know this because I know them very well. They don't care about upgrades. They have Wii Sports, and that's all. They've never owned a system before the Wii, and they won't see the need for one after.

Mr_Brit said:
Really? The detective GAF thread speculated that a 4000 series derivative is the likeliest part and that is a DX10.1 part.

I'm just going by wwm0nkey saying this is going to be trinity. Trinity is bulldozer + dx11 gpu. Given this is an APU part, I don't see much cost saving by nintendo asking for an inferior gpu.

Mr_Brit

Banned
Lonely1 said:
Is very likely that the NGP CPU is running lower clock than current Tegra 2 devices. Anyway, while the PSP reining supreme in the handheld scene for years, the same can't be said for the NGP. It will have the best looking games, because the mobile scene has budget, storage concerns and other priorities (which is also an advantage for the 3DS).
That's all that really matters, the end results. It will take years for iOS games to catch up to the NGP.

Chrange said:
I just checked on Futureshop.ca and to get a complete controller setup for the Wii (Wiimote, nunchuk and motionplus) is 44.99, 24.99, and 24.99. So...yeah.

Those 44.99 things have motionplus built in, but it's certainly worth bearing in mind how pricey the split controllers are.
I do wonder if Nintendo are planning on completely side-stepping the motion control arms race, leaving the split controller and going in a different direction again. A mid sized tablet shaped controller could perhaps still have some sort of physical pointer, as well as an obvious touchpad-based pointer.

Mr_Brit said:
If it's on par with the 360 then Nintendo will be in the same place next gen as they are in this gen and they'll struggle for third party support so will therefore not attract hardcore gamers.
They'd be in the same place if they'd launched Wii in 2004 rather than 2006.

Huff

Banned
oatmeal said:
Yes, I know this because I know them very well. They don't care about upgrades. They have Wii Sports, and that's all. They've never owned a system before the Wii, and they won't see the need for one after.

So because your family is made up of "casuals" and they "wont" buy the next wii, thus all/most people labeled as "casuals" are not going to upgrade.

Nintendo should just give up.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Graphics Horse said:
Those 44.99 things have motionplus built in, but it's certainly worth bearing in mind how pricey the split controllers are.
I do wonder if Nintendo are planning on completely side-stepping the motion control arms race, leaving the split controller and going in a different direction again. A mid sized tablet shaped controller could perhaps still have some sort of physical pointer, as well as an obvious touchpad-based pointer.
I'm seriously worried of the IR pointer (or equivalent) future. That shit needs to stay.

Lonely1 said:

It's easy to reign supreme when smartphones and tablets don't exist. Like gofreak explained above, the technological landscape now is completely different from the psp days. Sony took what similar devices are using and scaled it up to nearly the limit while including a healthy dose of RAM and a ridiculous screen. I don't know how you can define that as "skimping" on hardware.

-MB-

oatmeal said:

So how do u explain Kinect?

J-Rock

Banned
oatmeal said:

Most of us know them well. We call them family. And yes they will buy whatever game everyone is talking about. It's that simple. The system doesn't matter.

JCRedeems

Banned
I wish Nintendo would continue to put all their support behind Wii for another 2-3 years because gaming is becoming way too expensive. Part of the reason the Wii is the only console I own because its affordable. Soon $60 games will be the norm for Nintendo console games and factor in the probable cost of the console at $300, I think I'm going to pass. Unless it offers some innovative 'gimmick' of course. I rather have the console be weaker hardware wise and have some unique, revolutionary feature which would make it cheaper than to have a hardware powerhouse which would make it uninteresting, ordinary (at least to the average gamer) and expensive.

oatmeal

Banned
BroHuffman said:
So because your family is made up of "casuals" and they "wont" buy the next wii, thus all/most people labeled as "casuals" are not going to upgrade.

Nintendo should just give up.

I'm saying that the Wii tapped into a market that has people buying the Wii that aren't 'videogamers'.

How can you possibly argue that?

You think all of those retirement homes that have Wii's because the Wii Bowling made the old folk feel good are going to upgrade?

I think we have different definitions of 'casuals'. I'm describing it as people that are new to the gaming and aren't really gamers at all, and perhaps that's not accurate.

I just don't know what to call this market that Nintendo has tapped...because it's been a huge part of their success.

Slime said:
Maybe something more like this?

http://i54.tinypic.com/35bblld.jpg

But...

Here's my crappy real size mockup again as it's a similar idea, and has a 6" screen. I figured the ergonomics would only have to match the Wii, so it could have some chunky handles underneath.

TjBZJ.jpg

Chrange

Banned
AceBandage said:
Uh, why would you pay for a Wiimote and M+ separately?

They come with them now? The listing didn't show that and I haven't bought a wiimote in ages. In any case, you're still looking at a $70 plus tax controller. $100 doesn't seem that out of the question for them to ask after that.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
H_Prestige said:
It's easy to reign supreme when smartphones and tablets don't exist. Like gofreak explained above, the technological landscape now is completely different from the psp days. Sony took what similar devices are using and scaled it up to nearly the limit while including a healthy dose of RAM and a ridiculous screen. I don't know how you can define that as "skimping" on hardware.
But they did exist... Contrary to the popular belief, Apple didn't invented Smartphones and PDAs (well, they did with the Newton in the 90s). And I'm not comfortable in putting tables on the same category, but that's another issue.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
JCRedeems said:
I wish Nintendo would continue to put all their support behind Wii for another 2-3 years because gaming is becoming way too expensive. Part of the reason the Wii is the only console I own because its affordable. Soon $60 games will be the norm for Nintendo console games and factor in the probable cost of the console at $300, I think I'm going to pass. Unless it offers some innovative 'gimmick' of course.
If you can't buy Wii 2 after 6 years you might have bigger problems. Like... if you can barely afford to live... you need to change something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom