• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R 2 currently running at 35 FPS on Xbox Series S says GSC Game World, still have 'room to optimize'

Draugoth

Gold Member
Update, currently at 35 FPS, not 25:

rpEiwmD.png

foi-divulgado-o-tempo-necessario-para-concluir-a-campanha-principal-de-stalker-2-heart-of-chornobyl-100563.jpg

During a recent interview with the chief producer, Slava Lukyanenka, the subject of the Xbox Series S was raised, and according to his words, the game is currently running at 25 FPS on the Series S. Xbox series X will offer two performance modes, quality and performance.

WebSite: “I think the Xbox Series S is the most difficult platform to optimize, because it's weaker than the others.”

Slava Lukyanenka: “In our case, it's quite feasible. On Xbox Series X, we have two modes available. One is Performance Mode, where the game runs at 60 FPS and with slightly different graphics than Quality Mode, which looks amazing with all the reflections and textures in high resolution, but runs at 30 FPS. We're trying to achieve a similar experience on Xbox Series S by combining these two approaches.”

Website: “Does this mean that the game will run at 30 FPS on Xbox Series S with the same settings as the 60 FPS mode on Xbox Series X?”

Slava Lukyanenka: “Not yet. So far, we're running at around 25 FPS on Xbox Series S, but we still have room to optimize.”

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
On Xbox Series X, we have two available modes. One of them is Performance Mode, where the game is running with 60 FPS and slightly different graphics than in Quality Mode, which looks super awesome with all the reflections and high-resolution textures, but runs at 30 FPS.

Odd. The Games Com showfloor demo didn't have these presets per Digital Foundry. They said the game has a singular 60 FPS mode.

HogIsland

Entering dark times for Series S I think. 25fps is going to be more and more common at embarrassingly low resolutions. This is like when the last gen console still gets ports of current gen games. Or Apex Legends going to Switch.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Odd. The Games Com showfloor demo didn't have these presets per Digital Foundry. They said the game has a singular 60 FPS mode.
Think modern optimization is the same as PC gamers do on their own rig.
1) Choose settings run benchmark or just playbthe game with FPS counter on.
2) Move some stuff down to high or medium or low, adjust upscaling, etc.
3) Repeat step one until you have desired framerate and game doesn't look like shit.

Think they just do the same but remove the 'doesn't look like shit' for console performance modes and for Series S in general.

kevboard

nobody targets 25, they just fail to lock 30. it's obvious that series s is not going to cope well with ue5.

the Series S uses nanite and lumen GI at 60fps in Fortnite.

it'll be fine.
European, PC focused developers aren't especially known for good console optimisation

kevboard

We've come to the point where even the Xbox acolytes are openly admitting what the rest of us knew in 2020....

quite the opposite.
who knows if the Series X version would have a 60fps mode if the Series S didn't exist.

in the day and age where game optimisation is getting really bad, I am glad that a low power system at least keeps the devs on their toes. I hope the Switch 2 will be super successful and will have the same effect on even more games.

back when Panic Button ported Warframe to the Switch, they had to massively improve CPU performance of the engine. these performance improvements were then backported to the other versions, improving performance for all

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
How does it run on my Xbox One?

Depends on how good your Xcloud connection is :messenger_beaming:

the Series S uses nanite and lumen GI at 60fps in Fortnite.

it'll be fine.
European, PC focused developers aren't especially known for good console optimisation

Yeah, I don't think this should have any issues hitting 30 at launch.

May have some drops here and there ... but then again which game released on console doesn't?

Bug fixing and optimizing are usually late passes before a game goes gold.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
Entering dark times for Series S I think. 25fps is going to be more and more common at embarrassingly low resolutions. This is like when the last gen console still gets ports of current gen games. Or Apex Legends going to Switch.

We’ve been hearing these tales since 2020.

Hasn’t happened yet. Doesn’t seem to be happening soon either.

Friend. They may or may not get to a locked 30 in this game. Series S is still reaching its limits with several years left in the generation.
I'd argue both flagship consoles are also, developer's become more competent with the hardware but also more ambitious.

The Series S hate on here is well known but the real test IMO will be GTA 6, if it can produce a decent version of that then that should silence it's critic's.

HogIsland

We’ve been hearing these tales since 2020.

Hasn’t happened yet. Doesn’t seem to be happening soon either.
Xbox had to give up defacto Playstation exclusivity to Baldurs Gate 3, easily GOTY 2023 and in the conversation for best game of all time.

Because of the Series S.

kevboard

I'd argue both flagship consoles are also, developer's become more competent with the hardware but also more ambitious.

The Series S hate on here is well known but the real test IMO will be GTA 6, if it can produce a decent version of that then that should silence it's critic's.

people should not forget that Red Dead Redemption 2 ran at native 4K on a console with similar GPU performance, aka. the One X.

so rockstar is decent at pushing good visuals out of consoles these days

people should not forget that Red Dead Redemption 2 ran at native 4K on a console with similar GPU performance, aka. the One X.

so rockstar is decent at pushing good visuals out of consoles these days
They’re not just decent, they’re the best.

One may argue that getting Red Dead Redemption 2 to run on the base Xbox One with acceptable performance and roughly the same visual makeup as the other console versions is an even more technically impressive feat than the native 4k presentation on One X.

I hate the Xbox Series S as much as the next guy, and at first I was worried about how its existence would effect the final product of GTAVI - but as time has gone on I’ve realized that Rockstar is probably the company to be least worried about when it comes to that.

Ozriel

M$FT
Xbox had to give up defacto Playstation exclusivity to Baldurs Gate 3, easily GOTY 2023 and in the conversation for best game of all time.

Because of the Series S.

Baldur’s Gate 3 showed up on Xbox a few months after the PS5 version, in December 2023.

You…didn’t know that? 🤣

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™

Games on the base PS5 and XSX are going to end up 30 fps, many of them even at 1080p.

There is no real floor for the Series S can crash through at this point.

The Series S wasn't a mistake but the parity clause was. They'll have to discontinue that clause and risk a potential class action lawsuit. I don't know that they ever marketed the parity clause or promised parity or even that all games would be on the Series S at all.

But at that point they likely have to discontinue the Series S.

You even look at Hellblade 2 and it is barely 720p30.

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
Baldur’s Gate 3 showed up on Xbox a few months after the PS5 version, in December 2023.

You…didn’t know that? 🤣

126 days of unpaid exclusivity... over 4 months... most of the people who wanted baldur's gate 3 would have bought it on PC or PS5... all of this contributes to lower sales and to a narrative which is continuing now with Wukong.

Anyone who isn't locked into the xbox ecosystem the question of buying an xbox now is baffling. We'll see if CoD can bring in new GamePass users, but I doubt it will. Most of my friends who play CoD only play CoD. I don't think it's that much of a draw.

Top Bottom