• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadowverse |OT| Anime Hearthstone now on Steam

Ghoul

Neo Member
Congrats and welcome to GAF!
thanks!

Been playing some aggro sword...Albert is best husbando. Proving his love by dealing 6/10 damage to your opponent face.
latest

Draxal

so I've been playing this on and off for a while

I'm at D3, and not even close to being a hot shot or anything, haven't spent vials on anything, and unlike most players I still haven't burned through all my card tickets yet. I open one of each every day in order to try and get myself used to new cards and concepts better, and to see the practicality of each new card within an actual game.

Granted, I'm getting dunked on by Path to Purgatory decks (stocked with Ancient Elves, Rhinoceroaches, and Crystallia Tias galore), Dimensional Shift and Daria decks, Vania-centric aggro Bloodcraft decks... the list goes on.

And this is way far from the top of the stack.

How the hell am I supposed to compete? I don't have any of those cards, and I'm pretty sure the only legendaries I've pulled are Lord Atomy, Aurelia, Bloody Mary, and White Wolf of Eldwood ... the second and fourth of whom are the only ones to prove kinda-useful overall.

I mean, I guess I should probably consider looking into decks... but crafting cards from vials is expensive as all get-out in this game... At least, it feels like that to me. Legendaries feel extraordinarily out of reach...

They gave so many free packs that not to take advantage of them seems silly when everybody else is using them. All the cards that you listed, are all in the starter decks (except for Daria and Daria's is the only legendary run in her deck).

One of the best decks out there (blood aggro) doesn't use any legendary.

Szadek

I'm at D3, and not even close to being a hot shot or anything, haven't spent vials on anything, and unlike most players I still haven't burned through all my card tickets yet. I open one of each every day in order to try and get myself used to new cards and concepts better, and to see the practicality of each new card within an actual game.

Granted, I'm getting dunked on by Path to Purgatory decks (stocked with Ancient Elves, Rhinoceroaches, and Crystallia Tias galore), Dimensional Shift and Daria decks, Vania-centric aggro Bloodcraft decks... the list goes on.

How the hell am I supposed to compete? I don't have any of those cards, and I'm pretty sure the only legendaries I've pulled are Lord Atomy, Aurelia, Bloody Mary, and White Wolf of Eldwood ... the second and fourth of whom are the only ones to prove kinda-useful overall.
Opening all of your packs and rerolling if the cards aren't that great would be a good start.

shaowebb

Question...I just drew a mist dragon on the weekly sign in bonus pack. This card cannot be attacked. If I get ward placed on it somehow will it be attacked and take damage or will it force folks into targeting it and doing zero damage over and over?

Question...I just drew a mist dragon on the weekly sign in bonus pack. This card cannot be attacked. If I get ward placed on it somehow will it be attacked and take damage or will it force folks into targeting it and doing zero damage over and over?
follower destruction spells or follower effects would still kill it.

shaowebb

The ward overwrites the cannot be attacked effect.

Lol. Yeah I figured it was just "cant be attacked" and not implying "cannot be harmed by attacks". Had to ask though because that would be some easy and hilarious shenanigans to force them to fight warded cards that cant be hurt.

Just got to A1 rank on a 10 game win streak using Storm Haven. Using this deck from reddit, it is insanely good. From my 30 or so matches with it, I only lost a few times to aggro bloods that had perfect draws, and maybe one sword. This deck usually wins on turn 6-8, so not much can stop it in time. And a pretty fun deck to play with too. Wish I had the cards to play a control-ish forest deck though

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com

I mean, I guess I should probably consider looking into decks... but crafting cards from vials is expensive as all get-out in this game... At least, it feels like that to me. Legendaries feel extraordinarily out of reach...

Finish all story mode, all expert difficult in vs AI, and the 20 private matches should get you a lot of packs.

I would suggest open all your free packs now, and build a budget deck from online without crafting any legendary (unless you only missing 1 or 2). You should get enough vials with the duplicate cards. Don't worry too much about learning, you will learn as you play.

Building your own deck is fun, but for now just copy one from online, you need to know the basic composition of a control/face/aggro/tempo decks before you can build your own. May be aggro blood or budget sword will be a good start.

I feel like I suck completely at playing aggro blood. No matter what I do I can't reach 50% win ratio

It's not just you, shadow is getting really popular right now with the new card. Rank is hell for aggro with so many freaking wards and removal.

face is the place.

Haha yeah I get the general idea :D

But I can make aggro work with Forest, Dragon, Banner Sword, Shadow and Heaven but completly suck at playing Blood.

I guess I'm more of the combo/control player so I'm doing better with decks where you can make more trading

Szadek

I feel like I suck completely at playing aggro blood. No matter what I do I can't reach 50% win ratio
Pretty sure there isn't too much you can do wrong with that deck, which means it's probably not your fault.
It mighty be bad luck or maybe the meta right now isn't very kind to aggro decks.

Anyway, I'm pretty happy with the game right now, but Daria really need some kind of nerf.
Can't think of many others cards that are too op right now.

Drake

So, I've been playing this since the New Year. Slowly been working my way through the single player and logging in every day to get the gold rewards. I have about 50 packs between all the expansions, so I decided to open some. Actually got a legendary on my 3rd pack: Daria, Dimensional Witch. Is that card any good? I literally have no idea what's good in this game and what's not.

Szadek

So, I've been playing this since the New Year. Slowly been working my way through the single player and logging in every day to get the gold rewards. I have about 50 packs between all the expansions, so I decided to open some. Actually got a legendary on my 3rd pack: Daria, Dimensional Witch. Is that card any good? I literally have no idea what's good in this game and what's not.
She is like the best card in the game.

Ilvocare

Finish all story mode, all expert difficult in vs AI, and the 20 private matches should get you a lot of packs.

I would suggest open all your free packs now, and build a budget deck from online without crafting any legendary (unless you only missing 1 or 2). You should get enough vials with the duplicate cards. Don't worry too much about learning, you will learn as you play.

Building your own deck is fun, but for now just copy one from online, you need to know the basic composition of a control/face/aggro/tempo decks before you can build your own. May be aggro blood or budget sword will be a good start.

I already cleared all the story mode chapters.
those cliffhangers are never going to be resolved are they
Got everything from them.

I'm still hesitant to open all my free packs at once, BUT I've opened considerably more of them in a shorter timespan. All the rupies I've accrued allowed me to buy a couple guilt-free on a whim, and I managed to build a decent forestcraft deck that's relatively sparse on high-quality cards that SHOULD get me past D. Of note is that I customize and tweak stuff as dailies demand it, and it lends me a nice gameflow of adapting and learning.

I've also run multiple Take Two runs and I'm shit awful at them. Never won more than three matches in a set. Havencraft and Swordcraft feel like the easiest to excel at in there, though, and Forestcraft and Runecraft feel DANGEROUSLY difficult to succeed with. Still have like 5 tickets for everything across the board (all three card expansions and TT).

Keep in mind I've been playing since December or so. I'm not SUPER new to the game. I've just taken... a more sedate pace of advancement through it.

EDIT: Did want to mention that I kinda despise having to look at outside material in order to play a game efficiently. I've an aversion to wiki-diving and the like. And if I CAN push forward on crafting my own stuff, then... well, why not?

4Tran

Haha yeah I get the general idea :D

But I can make aggro work with Forest, Dragon, Banner Sword, Shadow and Heaven but completly suck at playing Blood.

I guess I'm more of the combo/control player so I'm doing better with decks where you can make more trading
I think that one of the big differences between Aggro Blood and most of those other Aggro decks is that a lot of the damage is going to come from your hand instead of being on the board. Figure out what your finishers are going to be by turn 3-4, and play towards getting your opponent's health low enough for the finisher to close out the game. My deck generally aims for either Imp Lancer + evolve or Bloody Mary + Razory Claws, so I spend my resources to get my opponent down to 5 and keep my win condition in hand until then.

Another useful principle is to always deal as much damage from followers first before using out-of-hand spells. That way you'll be in a better position if your opponent plays a Ward follower like Khawy or Aurelia. I often try to save my Razory Claws and Demonic Strikes as long as possible to get some surprise burst in on my opponent.

Finally, I think it's important to not rely on any cards triggering on Vengeance. Aggro Blood decks usually run out of steam by the time they're in Vengeance so it's not a very useful mechanic for this archetype. On paper, Dark General looks like a fantastic fit for the deck, but because it's unlikely to get Storm, I've never found it all that reliable. It also means that the Cursebrand Vampire is just a Goblin 90% of the time.

I'm still hesitant to open all my free packs at once, BUT I've opened considerably more of them in a shorter timespan. All the rupies I've accrued allowed me to buy a couple guilt-free on a whim, and I managed to build a decent forestcraft deck that's relatively sparse on high-quality cards that SHOULD get me past D. Of note is that I customize and tweak stuff as dailies demand it, and it lends me a nice gameflow of adapting and learning.
The tickets can't be used for anything else so there's no point saving them. You might as well see what kind of cards you get, and then start building decks around them. Moreover, the more cards you have, the more different options you have towards deck building, so it's win-win.

Szadek

EDIT: Did want to mention that I kinda despise having to look at outside material in order to play a game efficiently. I've an aversion to wiki-diving and the like. And if I CAN push forward on crafting my own stuff, then... well, why not?
Well, that's competitive multiplayer games for you.
Even in Chess you are much better of learning tactics from pro players than trying to figure eveything by yourself.

4Tran

Even in Chess you are much better of learning tactics from pro players than trying to figure eveything by yourself.
Yeah, Shadowverse heavily rewards more refined decks, and there's only so much that player skill can make up for it. If your deck isn't refined then it will get chewed up, especially at the higher levels.

Oh nice. So it's like pulling a Sylvanas, or Ragnaros. I have to put these things in Hearthstone terms sometimes.
Sort of, except that a proper Daria deck will want to run 3x Daria so that you can chain her into another copy of herself. The good news is that that deck doesn't run any other legendaries, so once you get past the Darias, the deck is pretty inexpensive to build.

Ilvocare

Like, yeah... probably explains why I rarely play multiplayer anything nowadays. But I love card games, and I've been bouncing back and forth between this and Eternal recently. Hilariously enough, I've never actually touched Hearthstone, so does that mean I have shit taste? Iunno.

Szadek

Oh nice. So it's like pulling a Sylvanas, or Ragnaros. I have to put these things in Hearthstone terms sometimes.
More like Tiriron, because only one craft can play it.
I guess the Sylvanas and Ragnaros of this game would be Olivia (gives you 3 new evoltions), Odin (very strong singel target removal, espically against haven and shadow) and Prince of Darkness (gives you an insane deck).
Although, Prince of Darkness is a bit like an neutral Jaraxxus as an it gives you an additonal win conditon and the other player has to win in the next few turns or get overwhelmed.
Like, yeah... probably explains why I rarely play multiplayer anything nowadays. But I love card games, and I've been bouncing back and forth between this and Eternal recently. Hilariously enough, I've never actually touched Hearthstone, so does that mean I have shit taste? Iunno.
Many people would argue that Shadowverse is better than HS.
It's certianly much more welcoming to new players, espically now that even the aggro deck in that game need expensive/rare cards.

Luigi87

Double post, finally hit A0... beat two other Dragons with my dragons.
... took me four Trial attempts, ugh.

Beginner -> B0 I was Forest Tempo
B0 -> A0 I went Ward Ramp Dragon

Now the real climb begins.

Edit: Oh, took me 189 wins to get.

shaowebb

I think I figured out what I'll be building a deck around. After playing through all the types and looking at my card haul I am actually very close to an Aggro vampire deck. I know I got some legendary shit so I may just bite the bullet and start juicing to get the much needed Vanias to complete this deck. Have most of whats needed though some only in doubles and not triple amounts meaning I'd have some stand ins till I can acquire a few extra cards for the deck.

Bloodcraft suits me. I like its mix of rapid firing troops out there, healing and draining.

It felt like eternity but ever since Bahamut I was stuck at A2 - finally today I got to A3 but it took 390 wins...

Also I scored fastest kill with roach deck ever today.

I was against aggro blood playing as second - on my turn 4 I've evolved EPM, on turn 5 he played Vania but didn't trade while had had 12 health.

So 2 free fairies roach guidance roach + evolution and EPM attackig face - turn 5 win.

On a side note - my roach deck has 16-0 win rate against Blood

And since that win gave me 10k score reward I opened pack and found White Wolf inside :D

I think I figured out what I'll be building a deck around. After playing through all the types and looking at my card haul I am actually very close to an Aggro vampire deck. I know I got some legendary shit so I may just bite the bullet and start juicing to get the much needed Vanias to complete this deck. Have most of whats needed though some only in doubles and not triple amounts meaning I'd have some stand ins till I can acquire a few extra cards for the deck.

Bloodcraft suits me. I like its mix of rapid firing troops out there, healing and draining.

Unless they are total trash like Erasmus then it's better to save vials normal way. Look if you don't have any animated golds to liquefy first.

Ilvocare

I never knew you could have 4 of the same card in take two. Felt a little bad for the opponent lol

Shit that's nuts.

On another note, um... Are the rewards for playing Take Two worth it to consider paying for a ticket??? Because of what I've played before it just seems like a roundabout way to get a standard pack for twice the cash, minus some reparations based on how well you do. Does the reward jump significantly in value from 3 wins to 4? And likewise from 4 to 5?

I've never gotten more than 3 wins in a set, for what it's worth.

Yaari

Tempo runecraft is the deck you are looking for.

Made some deck after looking for that. Works well! A lot of fun! I hope to start building a second deck soon, but those Legendaries I'll be needing, are probably going to hold me back for a while.

Luigi87

I never knew you could have 4 of the same card in take two. Felt a little bad for the opponent lol

Well seeing this, I now know your Reddit name, lol

But yeah, no limit in Take Two, just whatever the RNG dishes out.

Edit: omg, just beat a Shadow with my Dragons.
I had a Dragon Warrior, Siegfried, and Forte on the board. My opponent played Necroassassin onto Lurching Corpse, and they hit DW and Siegfried. I felt so lucky.
... He then did a Tempest killing her, but then I had another Forte! lol
And then I drew another Forte after that, but I already had lethal.

Edit 2: They're re-releasing the Dark Angel Olivia figure... shi-

Shit that's nuts.

On another note, um... Are the rewards for playing Take Two worth it to consider paying for a ticket??? Because of what I've played before it just seems like a roundabout way to get a standard pack for twice the cash, minus some reparations based on how well you do. Does the reward jump significantly in value from 3 wins to 4? And likewise from 4 to 5?

I've never gotten more than 3 wins in a set, for what it's worth.

The amount of the rewards varies, but on average 3 wins is where you usually make your money back (a pack, plus 40-60 gold), and any more wins than that is profit. Plus there are some take two based missions so if you can average 3 wins then you'll turn a profit. The biggest reason I play it though is that it is a nice break from ranked.

Szadek

I don't mind if you still need one. Sent you a friend request.
Ah, the good old imperial dragoon into Imperial Dragooninto Imperial Dragoon into deck play.
A bold strategy.
The games were fun, thanks.
Well seeing this, I now know your Reddit name, lol

But yeah, no limit in Take Two, just whatever the RNG dishes out.

Edit: omg, just beat a Shadow with my Dragons.
I had a Dragon Warrior, Siegfried, and Forte on the board. My opponent played Necroassassin onto Lurching Corpse, and they hit DW and Siegfried. I felt so lucky.
... He then did a Tempest killing her, but then I had another Forte! lol
And then I drew another Forte after that, but I already had lethal.

Edit 2: They're re-releasing the Dark Angel Olivia figure... shi-
She is only 11,600 JPY,too. So tempting.

4Tran

I've finally built a half-decent control deck so I'm taking a break away from Aggro to Seraph Haven. It has a ton of removal so it looks pretty strong in this meta. I even ended up decking a Discard Dragon deck. The funny thing is that it seemed like it wasn't running Dracomancer's Rites, and the only reason the game dragged so long was because I couldn't draw my Seraph until my opponent was down to 2 cards.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
There's too many damn Neph decks in B1. Looks like I probably will bite the bullet and craft 2x Odin, my first crafting.

In other Ramp Dragon news, I've been keeping a record on what I draw from Satan after playing him. I've pulled the 13/13 as my first card NINE games in a row. Of those nine, SIX of them had me pull ANOTHER 13/13 immediately after that and then promptly losing from the tempo loss. Why cygames why.

Luigi87

There's too many damn Neph decks in B1. Looks like I probably will bite the bullet and craft 2x Odin, my first crafting.

In other Ramp Dragon news, I've been keeping a record on what I draw from Satan after playing him. I've pulled the 13/13 as my first card NINE games in a row. Of those nine, SIX of them had me pull ANOTHER 13/13 immediately after that and then promptly losing from the tempo loss. Why cygames why.
Yeah, Neph decks made my climb in B3 as Ramp Dragon, suck.

Ilvocare

I finally spent the last of my tickets. My impatience and salt finally got the better of me.

I'm in C0 now, at least! And I got Eidolon of Madness and Merlin as legendaries.

Now to scramble for the good shit, I've got about 2.3k vials and I'm still just trying to do dailies, but... like, I want to do well, and stuff. Good lord almighty is fighting Dim Shift decks just the fucking worst as dragoncraft. Might need to make myself just a BIT more aggro, since most of my cards are meant to supplement followers on the field and do damage to followers on the field... which is a problem when Runecraft just uses the RIGHT spell at the RIGHT times to completely clear the field, turn after turn after turn. Fuck you Fire Chain, fuck you so much...

4Tran

I finally spent the last of my tickets. My impatience and salt finally got the better of me.

I'm in C0 now, at least! And I got Eidolon of Madness and Merlin as legendaries.

Now to scramble for the good shit, I've got about 2.3k vials and I'm still just trying to do dailies, but... like, I want to do well, and stuff. Good lord almighty is fighting Dim Shift decks just the fucking worst as dragoncraft. Might need to make myself just a BIT more aggro, since most of my cards are meant to supplement followers on the field and do damage to followers on the field... which is a problem when Runecraft just uses the RIGHT spell at the RIGHT times to completely clear the field, turn after turn after turn. Fuck you Fire Chain, fuck you so much...
The good news is that if you climb, you'll start seeing less and less Dimension Shift. I have a hard time recalling the last one I faced; it's been all Daria with a smattering of Earth Rite. The problem is that you'll learn why people hate facing Daria so much.

Dragon has one problem - most serious decks need 3 Fortes or a bunch of Bahamuts.

At lower ranks it's kinda better to use economic aggro decks like banner sword, bloodcraft, storm heaven etc.

General you want to have at least 3-4 semi competitive decks to finish dailies.

Ilvocare

The good news is that if you climb, you'll start seeing less and less Dimension Shift. I have a hard time recalling the last one I faced; it's been all Daria with a smattering of Earth Rite. The problem is that you'll learn why people hate facing Daria so much.

I've seen Daria decks (even some with three copies, man!) way down in D. I already feel like I get the picture.

Ilvocare

Dragon has one problem - most serious decks need 3 Fortes or a bunch of Bahamuts.

At lower ranks it's kinda better to use economic aggro decks like banner sword, bloodcraft, storm heaven etc.

General you want to have at least 3-4 semi competitive decks to finish dailies.

I think I've got like subpar Sword, Rune-Spell, and Rune-Earth decks in the making. And my Forestcraft deck is doing better than I expected it too, once I moved away from emphasizing number of cards played and focused on number of cards in my hand.

EDIT: Shit, double post. Can these be merged???

Luigi87

I've seen Daria decks (even some with three copies, man!) way down in D. I already feel like I get the picture.

Yeah, Daria is pretty much the go-to Rune deck, due to its very high win rate. Occasionally you may see Dirt Rune though (Earth Rite).

... I did lose to a D-Shift Daria yesterday, but fortunately it was unranked, lol

I think I've got like subpar Sword, Rune-Spell, and Rune-Earth decks in the making. And my Forestcraft deck is doing better than I expected it too, once I moved away from emphasizing number of cards played and focused on number of cards in my hand.

EDIT: Shit, double post. Can these be merged???

That's definitely the smart way to be playing Forest right now.

4Tran

You'll see way more of them; to the extent that D-Shift decks are just a pleasant memory! The worst thing is that they're almost all built the same. You can just predict what cards your opponent is going to play. And there's nothing quite like that groan you make when your opponent empties their hand just to cap it off with a Daria.

EDIT: I just performed a perfect 20 -> 0 OTK on Turn 7 with Combo Roach. It feels sort of dirty doing that.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
re: Daria

I know the community is mainly focusing on Levi being broken (and that definitely has some shades of truth to it), but does anyone else feel like Clark (and to a lesser extent, Craig) are complicit too?

Even if the vanilla spellboost followers are overcosted by 1-1.5 mana, Clark is basically gain 2 mana per spellboost follower in your hand. Compare this to other great 3 drops like Veight and Blitz Lancer where they both are great for their cost, but at least have a stat distribution of 3/2 rather than 2/3. Clark is not only sticky on curve, but he also starts the engine a little too efficiently imo.

Top Bottom