• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skullgirls |OT| New age of Heroines

Masaki_

http://revergelabs.com/2012/05/adjective-noun-whiteboard-wednesday/

7169308912_f7bdcce11c.jpg

WHO IS THIS CHARACTER

The influx of Squigly art in the whiteboard must mean that ... MARIE IS THE FIRST DLC CHARACTER. I know your game Reverge, you can't fool me.

If nothing else, I've always appreciated spectator lobbies because of 24/7 streams. I want 24/7 SG streams ;-;.

I made a Skullgirls group account for Xbox live. I've sent out some friend requests. You guys are welcome to share it with friends on SRK, Dustloop and anywhere else if you like. Having more people is better. Just a heads up.

Now for this...

D-Town Beatdown | SF4, SFXT, UMVC3, Skullgirls | INTERNET IS BAD, FOREVER.

4:00- These two guys put on a decent show. You'll see a lot of hornet bomber here from both of them. Painwheel's combos are definitely a highlight. She is definitely one of those characters that benefits in a lopsided matchup where she has fewer teammates. Her damage output is really good and her aerial dominance gives her an easier way in if you play her right. That peacock player doesn't make it easy thanks to Filia's DP and Double's hornet bomber. Keeping a distance with Peacock in this game can be extremely advantageous. She is not on Morrigan's level per say, but her chip damage is stupid good. Don't let hornet bomber push you back because Peacock enjoys that advantage more than any other character in the game and hit confirming into argus agony is really good here.

15:00- This fight starts off in Painwheel's favor. She just runs through teams like a hot knife through butter if given a chance. It's scary that she resets so well when she doesn't go for those big combos. You'll also see a lot of Double's kitty heads or "catellites" here. They are a pretty useful tool against a lot of characters in this game. Her dash and jump can easily let her get behind her opponent while they are taking chip making it easy for Double players to get that grab.

24:40- It's grand finals. This Painwheel player knows he can't fight Peacock well so he plays the aggressive game. He pushes her into the corner and even resorts to snapbacks or "outtakes" to bring her in. It's a tense match without a doubt. It's been seen at tournaments, but I don't know how many people are aware of "catellites" effects on assists like hornet bomber. She can easily hit anything in her vicinity with them which means that tossing assists out on Double with that super active can be dicey. That Painwheel player takes advantage of it to kill the Peacock player's Double assist. The second round is a pretty much all Peacock strutting her stuff and the match even ends in a hilarious freeze haha. The third round to end it all goes to the Peacock player as well. He does a great job of showing how Peacock is the queen of chip. She is definitely the focal point of any team that uses her. You'll most likely find her on point. It's definitely a different experience compared to traditional MvC3 where everyone on the team makes you feel like you are walking in a damned minefield.

There was more good footage here(stuff with motorcycle egret assist), but I think it got cut or something. I still gotta review some of Civil war for standout moments, but I may do one of these for the box arena stream earlier. Viscant and Dios X have been putting in some time with the game and are enjoying it a bunch. They seem to have a better grasp of the game than most folks that have been showing up at majors for the game as of late(not that I'm calling them scrubs or anything).
Sorry for being a dick a while back. I bought Skullgirls and it's actually pretty good.
It's no biggie. I'll probably send you an invite to the Skullgirls group down the road if you are interested.
And this post managed to convince me to visit Destructoid for the first time in 2 years. I've got far less willpower than I thought :/
I'd say it was worth it. He touched upon a lot of things in that podcast.
oh great another nurse/parasoul douchebag team awefo;iw;aefjo;wajefjio;waef
I bet it's got to be insane after Shadowloo Showdown. Justin literally ran away with 1st place while the stream had 12,000+ impressionable stream monsters watching.
noelstalker on PSN - Peacock/Valentine

hit me up
Gonna have to update the PSN list.
Sienna is packing so much junk in that trunk.

Jesus @_@

Edit: I didn't notice that their Squig-Lei art from last week was actually new. I guess someone saw my request on SRK lol. So awesome!

Also, that other Squigly art that looks chinese reminds me of Kagura from Gintama. :p
The influx of Squigly art in the whiteboard must mean that ... MARIE IS THE FIRST DLC CHARACTER. I know your game Reverge, you can't fool me.
This is exactly what it means. I'm not getting my hopes up. Hopefully they talk about their first DLC character around EVO. I'm looking forward to some new stuff that will come with that character(patches, fixes, content updates and all that good stuff).

Beats

Got some good games in with Roubjon. The ping was pretty high at 303, but it still felt like I was playing offline using a 5 frame delay.

I wish I had more time to play this game.

Whoever suggested swapping mp/mk with hp/hk on a ps controller was a genius. Frees up L1 and L2 and allows for full freedom of tags and assists. Loving that layout.

Jintor

FUCK YOU, MARIE, AND YOUR FLOATY SPAMMY ASS BULLSHIT THIRD FORM FUCK THE FUCKING FUCK

how do i cheese her with Painwheel? I AM OVER THIS FUCKING BULLSHIT.

Nyoro SF

FUCK YOU, MARIE, AND YOUR FLOATY SPAMMY ASS BULLSHIT THIRD FORM FUCK THE FUCKING FUCK

There is no way. You just have to get lucky.

It's not even the issue of doing damage, it's just that she moves so quickly away from you you can never catch her.

First off, calm down and block.

Second, block some more and stay calm.

I think I used j.HP with Painwheel a lot, for all the forms. That and . . . cr.MK?

But the main thing is block.

Oh, I think Painwheel's air super is good on the last form, so you might want to save up three or so bars to spam it.

jMP and jHP

Make sure you go into the third form with as much health as possible. Use your meter to get through the second form as fast as possible (death crawl)

Painwheel is one of the harder characters to beat Marie with.

^^^

I don't think her air super does anything iirc. Isn't it a grab?

Kokonoe

Banned
I think i'm converting my preferences entirely to PC gaming, which is the only reason I haven't been playing as much as I'd like. PC release will surely be a gamechanger for me.

That shirt is also pretty rad. I'd like to see a US version, or even just Valentine without any reference towards the nations.

You should give XIV a shot once 2.0 hits - I think it'll be at least as good as XI by then.

I suppose I will at least give it a try. I did spend 80 bucks on that collectors edition..
It's been a while since I've played XIV, but I really don't want the whole arm and a leg experience with an MMO again.

FFXI is absolutely brutal and time consuming. Even though I like it still, I just can't tolerate that aspect of it anymore. I'll probably make a new character as last time I checked Mysdia was dead.

Ravidrath

Also, Peter, are spectator lobbies planned for the first big patch (and the PC version)?

Definitely not the first patch, unfortunately. With only one network guy, anything like that takes a while.

I'm not sure about the PC version - I've recommended that the PC version be delayed until lobbies are in, but ultimately that's not up to me.

Hey guys, I need some help with Fillia. Now that I finally have time, I'm trying to practice with her, but I can't do anything other than chain into launcher into air combo into hairball into super/reset with a throw. Any tips for comboing with her? What should be my BnBs anyways? :x

Here's a vid of one of my first fights to give you an idea of how I play.
http://youtu.be/c8YfvpzGKXQ

I...haven't really changed much other than now I team Fillia with Peacock using the bomb car assist.

Hey guys, I need some help with Fillia. Now that I finally have time, I'm trying to practice with her, but I can't do anything other than chain into launcher into air combo into hairball into super/reset with a throw. Any tips for comboing with her? What should be my BnBs anyways? :x

Here's a vid of one of my first fights to give you an idea of how I play.
http://youtu.be/c8YfvpzGKXQ

I...haven't really changed much other than now I team Fillia with Peacock using the bomb car assist.

Filia is a reset heavy character first and foremost. You'll get more of your damage from midscreen resets then you will from any super long and intricate combo. Her REAL non-reset damage comes out of her corner hair spike loops so when you're midscreen try focusing more on getting your opponent into situations where they have to guess.

I admittedly am not a Filia player but I've found this video pretty helpful in terms of figuring out what possibilities you have. For the Bnb posted as the first combo clip you can just omit the assist section and go into c.HP Hairball Super.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r167Torgyxg

Hope I helped! Do you play on PSN?

Ravidrath

Still having problems with online. Every time I connect to an opponant the game freezes after we both select our fighters.

PSN? I think that's because of the EU / NA compatibility issue that was discovered after the game was released in the EU.

Really sorry about that - ultimately it's our bug, of course, but it's frustrating that neither our Konami nor SCEE safety nets thought to test international online matches.

Until we can get the patch out, just limit your matches to the region you bought the game from and you shouldn't have that problem.

Is there a GAF XBL tag for this game like with 3S and Marvel? I'd like playing other GAF people some time.

Oh right, my tag is SolarKnightR.

Item Box

Is there a GAF XBL tag for this game like with 3S and Marvel? I'd like playing other GAF people some time.

Pretty sure its SkullgirlsGAF, got a friend request from it yesterday.

Good thing this group was made too, I'm kinda getting bored of online, as its roll or get rolled as of late. I need someone who can rival me!

We all made shirts at our store, and the results are... stunning.

http://skullgirls.com/2012/04/the-skullgirls-teams-t-shirts/
Oh my God...

How did I miss this before? Now I know why people made those crazy gifs of Peacock and Morrigan lol.

1) Don't pick the "ridiculous" difficulty setting
2) Abuse Painwheel's j.MP/h.HP and her fly function to hit Marie with several of Painwheel's strong normals before she hits the ground
3) Repeat the same with Marie's second form. Abuse her crawling super at this point if you want
4) Go back to #2 for form 3

I know I'm late, but this is for future reference. Painwheel can really hurt Marie with this basic stuff.
We plan to release a patch that will address human nature, but it may take a while for our airborne virus to reach everybody.
I could have sworn that I've heard something similar in a science fiction show. I think it was Stargate Atlantis. :p

Good luck with all of this. You guys just can't catch a break...

I added you to the list and sent you a friend request to the XBL gamertag for the game. Feel free to check "SkullgirlsSRK" once they add me. It's SRK's Skullgirls tag that will probably have better players going at it. They are definitely more specialized than GAF when it comes to fighters. We even have weekly online tournaments. I'd recommend that PSN Europeans sign up for an SRK account just to find those extra games with fellow European online warriors until the overseas matchmaking issue is fixed. We've got a few Aussies and Europeans listed on the front page, but I don't know how often they play.
SG footage from the most recent Norcall Install: http://www.twitch.tv/finestko/b/318022988

LOTS of awesome matches though there is a mix of good and bad commentary throughout.
Some of the fights here were insane. One Peacock even managed to connect three Argus agony supers. There were several steam rollers at this tournament too.

Commentary got a little crazy at the end, but it's all good.

1) Don't pick the "ridiculous" difficulty setting
2) Abuse Painwheel's j.MP/h.HP and her fly function to hit Marie with several of Painwheel's strong normals before she hits the ground
3) Repeat the same with Marie's second form. Abuse her crawling super at this point if you want
4) Go back to #2 for form 3

I added you to the list and sent you a friend request to the XBL gamertag for the game. Feel free to check "SkullgirlsSRK" once they add me. It's SRK's Skullgirls tag that will probably have better players going at it. They are definitely more specialized than GAF when it comes to fighters. We even have weekly online tournaments. I'd recommend that PSN Europeans sign up for an SRK account just to find those extra games with fellow European online warriors until the overseas matchmaking issue is fixed. We've got a few Aussies and Europeans listed on the front page, but I don't know how often they play.

Speaking of Marie in general, I usually find it best to save all your meter for her second form. When you get to it, use all that meter to kill it quickly. The faster you get to her last form, the more life you'll have to deal with her chip damage bullshit.

Oh, and thanks for the invitation. I'm having bad internet issues right now though (oddly it seems that the only thing I can get to work right now is online gaming though, I have to post this by stealing some connection from a neighbor o_0). I'll have to check SRK too then, haven't been there since vanilla Marvel came out.

Come on guys we're slacking! Didn't even post up this gem from this weeks Whiteboard Wednesday.

7214148634_3ddd9e6484.jpg

http://revergelabs.com/2012/05/dinnertime-fun-whiteboard-wednesday/

Am I the only one really happy when I see these released? I dunno, it's just some sort of validation for me that their artists are still totally on the job and presumably cooking up that next DLC character. Can't wait! I'd imagine we'll be hearing some solid info about her by June-ish.

Is Reverge going to be present at E3 in any form?

Ravidrath

Is Reverge going to be present at E3 in any form?

We'll all be going and I hope to be on the Giant Bomb podcast again... but we're not going to be showing anything there or anything like that.

oh god. why.

Because @hyaenaman said that Double was moe, and... that blew our minds.

I think there's a pretty decent chance that at some point in the future Double will get a horrifyingly moe win pose because of this.

Top Bottom