• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smite |OT| Release The Quacken

drotahorror

I almost always play assassins/warriors (with a couple exceptions, Agni lately for one) and I find Serket to be really tough to play. Maybe I'm just not used to her but, I don't see how she's any better or even on par with my favorite assassin's like Nemesis, Hun Batz, Mercury, and a couple others I like to play. I did see her in solo lane today and she did really well. Her team fight in the end game was bad though.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
ciI3NSF.jpg

I am happy with this performance. It's amazing how much better you play when you switch off text chat from strangers.

So far I haven't seen a Serket that didn't feed. Haven't tried her yet, but she seems really weak.

I would not say weak, but she is certainly squishy. I have done alright as her, but I am pretty sure most players don't realize how important mobility is for her. She is excellent in ambushes and ganks, but cannot survive if she gets grabbed.

jost

Neo Member
I would not say weak, but she is certainly squishy. I have done alright as her, but I am pretty sure most players don't realize how important mobility is for her. She is excellent in ambushes and ganks, but cannot survive if she gets grabbed.

oh nice I was just coming in to ask about here? so would you say she is a better jungler? (I'm still pretty new to smite, mainly a league player) but I really like the look of her kit.

Xyber

oh nice I was just coming in to ask about here? so would you say she is a better jungler? (I'm still pretty new to smite, mainly a league player) but I really like the look of her kit.

Yeah, she can be a good ganker once you have a bit more damage and crit. But she's really just an "in and out" character that either starts off an attack or finish someone off. Doesn't really belong in team fights at all because of how easy you can kill her when stunned/crippled. But that's not how most people play her at the moment and that's why you see stats like 1-12 or something crazy right now.

jost

Neo Member
Yeah, she can be a good ganker once you have a bit more damage and crit. But she's really just an "in and out" character that either starts off an attack or finish someone off. Doesn't really belong in team fights at all because of how easy you can kill her when stunned/crippled. But that's not how most people play her at the moment and that's why you see stats like 1-12 or something crazy right now.

Hmm I will keep that in mind, so I would assume she plays a lot like loki then?

Liberty4all

Banned
So far I haven't seen a Serket that didn't feed. Haven't tried her yet, but she seems really weak.

I went 17 - 1 last night with her.

The key is to build the phys d/power and magic d/power items first

Example: enemy team 3 phys 2 mag

ill go with the phys D/power item first, shoes second, mag D/power third.

Last items focus on attk speed and power.

As,others have mention she has amazing mobility. 2 of her powers also act as escapes. Getting power timers down is critical too.

Liberty4all

Banned
Thanks for the games!

TRULY WE WERE THE MOST POWERFUL FORCE

:D

We did have a good time didn't we?

It was interesting to see how matchmaking worked for Sploatee and I. I have all 56 gods masteries, lvl 30 etc ... Sploatee on the other hand is fairly new.

It seemed like matchmaking rotated between dropping us into low level games where I wrecked everyone's shit, and high level games that had poor sploatees head spinning. Most of the games I think were lower level though ... I'm a decent player but on our run I was obliterating the competition.

Honestly I can't figure out how matchmaking works at all. But I finally get why people make Smurf accounts now. Getting kill after kill is addicting.

Aaron

Yeah, it feels completely random. I think it tries to balance the teams a little, but the result is all over the map.

Liberty4all

Banned
it uses the uhhhh oh shit i guess ill just put you in this game i guess? system

haha

I think there is definitely some sort of matchmaking going on even if very basic. I noticed a massive drop in the skill level of players when partied with Sploatee, likewise he noticed a big jump in skill. I think maybe the game was trying to find a happy medium ...

dejan

Welp, the game finally managed to get under my skin. After a run of terrible matches in Conquest I decided to give League a try. The first match went ok, but I was matched with gold league players, because reasons. On my 2nd match the matchmaking system decided I should be the guy picking and banning gods ... with gold league players on my team again of course, who immediately started raging after I told them what just happened. The game went accordingly.

Maybe I should have stopped there, but I went for a 3rd game. Well, at least I wasn't top spot on the god selection screen this time, but again I was matched with far higher ranked players than myself. So the game starts and as soon as I hit the 'w' key my char starts moving, never to stop again. WASD still works, but I can't alt-tab onto the desktop and unplugging/plugging the keyboard doesn't do it either (had this bug happen to me a couple of times before). Had to reboot the PC and after trying to rejoin the match I found myself stuck on the loading screen. Urge to uninstall Smite reaches critical mass.

Welp, the game finally managed to get under my skin. After a run of terrible matches in Conquest I decided to give League a try. The first match went ok, but I was matched with gold league players, because reasons. On my 2nd match the matchmaking system decided I should be the guy picking and banning gods ... with gold league players on my team again of course, who immediately started raging after I told them what just happened. The game went accordingly.

Maybe I should have stopped there, but I went for a 3rd game. Well, at least I wasn't top spot on the god selection screen this time, but again I was matched with far higher ranked players than myself. So the game starts and as soon as I hit the 'w' key my char starts moving, never to stop again. WASD still works, but I can't alt-tab onto the desktop and unplugging/plugging the keyboard doesn't do it either (had this bug happen to me a couple of times before). Had to reboot the PC and after trying to rejoin the match I found myself stuck on the loading screen. Urge to uninstall Smite reaches critical mass.

Yes...let the salt flow through you.

In all seriousness though, that sucks. You should try playing more of the non-league matches like Siege or Assault. They take way less time usually.

Strazyplus

Yes...let the salt flow through you.

In all seriousness though, that sucks. You should try playing more of the non-league matches like Siege or Assault. They take way less time usually.

Having a horrible experience is not fun... D:

As for me Smite is the first MOBA that I actually have enjoyed infact I kinda hated it. When I played Warcraft 3 TFT I would usually do roleplay or other games. but DOTA came and just took over. So I never gave it much of a chance and when I did the players were toxic, so I stayed away. now we have like thirty different MOBA'S. So when I tried Smite the 3rd person was interesting and I enjoyed the gods specially Ao Kuang hes fun to play as.

2014-07-19_1733.png

Been trying to learn Swagni, such a great skin btw, I'm not good at landing fumes AFTER Rain Fire without setting fumes to instant cast. Doesn't really hurt much, but it's the only placed AOE I've ever set instant cast so sometimes I place it in awkward spots.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
poping fumes with ult is pretty pro but i always use my path of flames then drop the fumes on the flame line to stun them then go ham with my ult and my vel vel vel vel

Having a horrible experience is not fun... D:

As for me Smite is the first MOBA that I actually have enjoyed infact I kinda hated it. When I played Warcraft 3 TFT I would usually do roleplay or other games. but DOTA came and just took over. So I never gave it much of a chance and when I did the players were toxic, so I stayed away. now we have like thirty different MOBA'S. So when I tried Smite the 3rd person was interesting and I enjoyed the gods specially Ao Kuang hes fun to play as.

The Noodle is a very good god to learn with, as he is easy; the key is tornado placement.

Trust me, I know how frustrating Smite can be, it makes me furious to the point where I won't play it for days sometimes, however; the feeling you get when you win an even match is just amazing.

I have never played a moba before, so I have a few questions.

1. do u have to buy champs?
2. Is it noon friendly?
3. Any solo mode? (Suspect not but had to ask)
4. Graphics is are good?

Thanks in advance for answering.

Liberty4all

Banned
IMHO best starting gods are:

Ra, Poseiden, Agni, AO and Anubis

Pos, AO, Agni and Anubis because of their area effect abilities that help the team in a big way both in terms of lane clearing and harrassing the enemy and don't take a huge amount of skill to lay down correctly

Ra because everyone loves a healer and his 1 ability is a great lane clearer.

Guardians are also good starting gods (albeit abit boring) IF you know how to build them correctly. The hardest gods to learn are assassins as they rely greatly on their item builds.

Other starter tips:

If you currently have your gods set to auto build, I recommend trying as fast as possible to learn how to manual build. I think I went up to lvl 10 on auto before I switched to learning manually. Auto build usually does an adequate job at lower levels but don't rely on it. Learn the items and what they do ... the faster you do this the faster you will start crushing your opponents, especially at lower levels.

Arena is a great place to "learn" gods. Matches run fairly quickly, money (and therefore items) come way faster than other modes, and you are constantly casting abilities. Assault is also a great mode to learn gods ... you even have an excuse if you suck ("I'm new with this god") and nobody can say anything since it's random pick.

I actually play these two modes almost exclusively. Conquest made me rage too much with people leaving mid game, since games take a long time to begin with. Conquest also requires specific roles and people will rage at you if you don't pick the "right" type of god (once you start getting to higher levels).

When playing Assault buying tier 3 Meditation (the green one "Salvation") as a starting item is a safe play. Salvation is almost a "must buy" item in this mode since you can't go back to base to replenish mana. Salvation also has the added benefit of being a team heal. It is BY FAR better than Greater Meditation which IMHO should never be bought unless you are playing Hel (and even then I still think about it). You can buy tier 3 shoes (the ones that give you +15 percent ability regen and Salvation with the starting money in Assault.

In all modes except Assault, it's important to know when to return to base. Typically unless playing a Guardian I return to base at half health (especially in Arena). This keeps your feeding to a minimum.

If you are the sole person left at a tower versus multiple enemies, don't be a hero. It's better to let the tower fall than to die.

If you are playing a hunter (Neith, Artemis, buy Quin's Sais)

Liberty4all

Banned
I have never played a moba before, so I have a few questions.

1. do u have to buy champs?
2. Is it noon friendly?
3. Any solo mode? (Suspect not but had to ask)
4. Graphics is are good?

Thanks in advance for answering.

1. No. Although you will want to once you see Ra'merica, Swagni and others
2. Yes. There are always players playing 24/7. I think there is something like 4 million unique accounts or some ridiculously huge number
3. There is a vs AI mode. I find it boring. It's not solo though
4. Yes

I would not recommend Anubis to new people. He has absolutely no escapes, which means that if you play as him you will be targeted often. Stick with gods like Ra, Au Kuong, Ymir, Neith, or Sun Wukong at first for starters.

Liberty4all

Banned
I would not recommend Anubis to new people. He has absolutely no escapes, which means that if you play as him you will be targeted often. Stick with gods like Ra, Au Kuong, Ymir, Neith, or Sun Wukong at first for starters.

XT's right re escapes. Scratch Anubis off the starter god list.

I'm not sure though ymir is a good starter god ... In arena and assault Ymir is the rock/tank everyone rallies around. Inexperienced Ymir's (either build or gameplay wise) can get teams wiped.

I agree about Sun Wukong ... Nice middle of the road god for new players. Neith is nice too as she's got that super escape.

XT's right re escapes. Scratch Anubis off the starter god list.

I'm not sure though ymir is a good starter god ... In arena and assault Ymir is the rock/tank everyone rallies around. Inexperienced Ymir's (either build or gameplay wise) can get teams wiped.

I agree about Sun Wukong ... Nice middle of the road god for new players. Neith is nice too as she's got that super escape.

Athena's are a good choice for starter tanks as well. It requires a different mentality when playing support though.

Aaron

Thor is a good starting hero. He's got a stun, while his spin and ult can be used to get out of bad situations.

aravuus

A third-person MOBA? How have I missed this?

LoL and Dota were alright, but they never really clicked with me. Gonna give Smite a try and if it won't either, I'll just leave the whole MOBA genre to other people.

fuzzyset

A third-person MOBA? How have I missed this?

LoL and Dota were alright, but they never really clicked with me. Gonna give Smite a try and if it won't either, I'll just leave the whole MOBA genre to other people.

Just played my first match, and I find it so much better than Dota 2. WASD > point & click for me.

aravuus

Just played my first match, and I find it so much better than Dota 2. WASD > point & click for me.

I'll play my first match as soon as I fix the game lol. Apparently I'm not seeing the main menu or something, nothing happens after I click ok on the "play the tutorial" message.

You can also play Smite with a gamepad. Since there's no vertical aiming, I find it easier to play that way.

You can? I happen to be staring at a gamepad right now, it could be nicer to play with it. Gotta give it a try.

Xyber

You can also play Smite with a gamepad. Since there's no vertical aiming, I find it easier to play that way.

Well, you can. But you will be handicapping yourself with a bunch of heroes. If you are being chased you can't really turn around and use a trap or something to slow them down and then keep running without running backwards for way longer than you should. Just takes too long to turn to do it efficiently.

Most heroes probably plays just fine with a pad, but 95% of them would benefit from the faster camera movement of a mouse.

If the game was on consoles it would be fine though since everyone has the same handicap. I think this game could be very successful if it was released on consoles as a F2P game.

Aaron

Nope. I use a pad and I'm just fine with 90% of heroes. The only one I had a real problem with was Anubis. Now if I was playing at a pro level that would be different, but for the pub matches I've been playing I usually dominate. At the speed Smite plays at, sticks work fine.

Xyber

Nope. I use a pad and I'm just fine with 90% of heroes. The only one I had a real problem with was Anubis. Now if I was playing at a pro level that would be different, but for the pub matches I've been playing I usually dominate. At the speed Smite plays at, sticks work fine.

Sure, you can do fine with a pad. I won't argue with that. But you are still handicapping yourself to a degree by limiting your turning speed, pro level or not.

Also, is there a way to map callouts to the pad somehow? Being able to call missing and stuff is also important in pub games with random people.

Top Bottom