• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, uh...is anyone playing Red Faction: Armageddon? |OT by default|

Chiggs

Gold Member
2nan2b7.jpg

***The Story***

A bald man blows the fuck out of monsters in a cave on Mars. In between battles, he serves as a plumber, engineer and electrician.

***Obligatory Screenshots***

vigq6w.jpg

5ano29.jpg

2vu0ffb.jpg

***Videos***

18ojk8.jpg

Mr. Toots - The only video you need to see

***Reviews***

GameSpy - 2.5/5
Gamespot - 8.0
Giant Bomb - 3/5
IGN - 7.0

***Some personal observations***

• I just picked this game up last night on Steam and I'm liking it so far...significantly less than Red Faction: Guerilla, but it's still fun to play. Sort of.

• Game is surprisingly difficult on the harder settings; enemies just swarm you and fuck you up royally. Ironically, the normal setting almost seems too easy.

• I don't think the game is very long. I've been playing for two hours and I'm at the 30% mark according to the game.

• Graphics are nice, especially the atmospheric effects (like smoke), and some of the crazy alien effects.

• Performance on my 6950 is pretty good with 2x AA and AF. Some of the stuff outside can drop the FPS into the 30s when stuff starts blowing up and collapsing.

• Weapons are excellent - better than anything in Guerilla.

***MY EXPERT OPINION***

Wait until this game is $19.99 or less on Steam (or the bargain bin).

Nah I took a pass after the demo. I am curious to hear impressions though.

Jeff and Brad on Giant Bomb sounded extremely negative about it last week, but they couldn't say much on account of the embargo.

fernoca

I don't think there's even an OT for this game..yet.

Kinda forgot about it, then realized it was going to be released this week..and searched for the OT and no luck.

fernoca said:
I don't think there's even an OT for this game..yet.

Kinda forgot about it, then realized it was going to be released this week..and searched for the OT and no luck.
This is now the |OT|

Chiggs

Gold Member
Neuromancer said:
This is now the |OT|

LMAO...pretty much.

And what I've done in the OP is as extensive as it gets, lol.

The game's not bad, but it is really a step back from Guerilla--except for the weapons.

Amazing OT!

Props bro.

I'm serious. Add in a couple video links, a few screen shots, and have a mod add |OT| No one else will end up doing it for this game, I think.

This was me from the other thread we had:

Tricky I Shadow said:
Just got back from cancelling my pre-order. How disappointing....

Strike one was no competitive multiplayer. Strike two was an underwhelming demo. And the final blow was the not so hot reviews.

I was looking forward to this the moment it was announced and it was my most anticipated....but all my hype has simply gone! : /

My time is better spent with inFAMOUS 2....

RedStep

Volition threw away every ounce of progress they made with Guerilla. Fuck those guys... Until Saints Row 3.

EekTheKat

The online mode on the ps3 is surprisingly fun, least it's been more engaging than the single player campaign.

The lack of a shoulder switch is annoying though.

The pace of the online mode gets pretty frantic later on, which i guess explains the lack of a cover system slowing things down.

I'm enjoying the hell out of it:

Love:

+ different music from Guerilla. More electronic.

+ Art design. It's really grown on me

+ Destruction of course

+ That it's NOT open world. I dunno, guess I wanted a more directed experience

Don't Like:

- Yeah, it seems too easy on Normal and I'm about ready to restart.
- Snap targeting. Thankfully you can turn it off.

So yeah, we getting official thread or what?

Also, like I said in the demo thread, Volition should have just waited another month till after e3 during the summer drought. This game is getting buried, middling reviews or not.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I bought the first one around launch, and liked it for the most part (replaying on PC right now), but they killed my interest for this one. Linear tunnel action isn't a fair trade for an open world sandbox. Maybe it's a fine game on it's own merits, but it wasn't what I was looking for in a sequel. Seems like this is a common sentiment, since this didn't get an OT while the first had a decent following on here.

Still, as long as you can smash/explode stuff I'll probably get it when it drops below $20.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Neuromancer said:
Haha for a while back there I thought you were a viral marketer for THQ

Lol, same. I remember being confused in another thread when I saw him gushing over the same trailer that left me feeling totally underwhelmed.

At least he has proven otherwise, lower your hammers gentlemen.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
sleepykyo said:
Tried the PS3 demo. The move underground takes away the novelty of mass destruction/nanoforge use.
Same feelings after playing the PS3 demo as well. Would be so much better if I was on the surface.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I'm playing it on PC, it's really really fun.

It's the quintessential Volition game, it doesn't really bring much in the way of innovation but it absolutely *nails* the execution. The combat is fun, the guns are meaty as all hell, you get some cracked out force power stuff including the most awesome force push ever and of course smashing the everloving *fuck* out of every god damned thing you see is fun as shit.

Also the Magnet Gun is the coolest weapon everly ever.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Sinatar said:
I'm playing it on PC, it's really really fun.

It's the quintessential Volition game, it doesn't really bring much in the way of innovation but it absolutely *nails* the execution. The combat is fun, the guns are meaty as all hell, you get some cracked out force power stuff including the most awesome force push ever and of course smashing the everloving *fuck* out of every god damned thing you see is fun as shit.

Also the Magnet Gun is the coolest weapon everly ever.

The only thing this game does better than Guerilla is the weaponry.

Very good stuff, and they feel perfect.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Shut up, Sinatar, stop trying to make me want this game.

I guess I'll keep an eye out during the Steam summer sale, maybe there will be a 50% off deal or something.

Gerald Preston

Neo Member
Reviews and the demo killed any launch interest I had for this. It made me wonder how Big Volition is as I hope this wasn't half assed for the sake of getting Saint's Row out this year.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
There is more destruction in just about any 10 feet of this game then there was in all of Guerilla's empty desolate wasteland. Yea it's underground, but it's absolutely *covered* in crap you can smash the hell out of, just cause you can.

I'd like to reiterate that the magnet gun is bloody genius.

Neuromancer said:
Haha for a while back there I thought you were a viral marketer for THQ

Snuggler said:
Lol, same. I remember being confused in another thread when I saw him gushing over the same trailer that left me feeling totally underwhelmed.

At least he has proven otherwise, lower your hammers gentlemen.

Heh, yeah......it's amazing how my hype level just slowly disintegrated.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Will buy when it hits $20. Lack of open world killed it for me. I love the creativity that gave you re approach to missions.

Teknoman

I rented it...but i'd like to see a return to Red Faction 1 style FPS mechanics. Fancy weapon animations and making tunnels all over/blowing down doors.

Amagon

Chiggs said:
2nan2b7.jpg

***The Story***

A bald man blows the fuck out of monsters in a cave on Mars. In between battles, he serves as a plumber, engineer and electrician.

***MY EXPERT OPINION***

Wait until this game is $19.99 or less on Steam (or the bargain bin).
wxYuh.gif

Lol, amateur |OT| is amateur. I love it lol!

Chiggs

Gold Member
THE NO LIFE KING said:
Lol, amateur |OT| is amateur. I love it lol!

I didn't have time to do macaroni artwork for it, but I hope you know this is truly from the heart.

Amagon

Chiggs said:
I didn't have time to do macaroni artwork for it, but I hope you know this is truly from the heart.
I think we need some MS Paint for this type of guerrilla style |OT|. I had no love for the demo what so ever. Very not interested in fighting monsters down in some caves. I was hoping this game would stay on "reality" ground and just stick with the human vs human protocol with the political agenda just like the other games. Just give me my Saints Row fix in my veins Volition and all be well in my book.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
In all seriousness, good work on the OT. I appreciate the honesty.

To answer your questions, no, I am not going to play Armageddon anytime soon. After watching the Giantbomb quick look and listening to Jeff Gertsmann rip on the game for a good 30 minutes, I'll wait for a Steam sale.

Duffyside

Banned
I was seriously considering making a joke OP myself, but happily in retrospect didn't have the balls as this one is much better than what I would have mangled together.

More importantly though, I was thinking of celebrating the release of this depressing game by returning to Guerrilla, to give the best multiplayer this generation one last goodbye run. Anyone else interested?

sk3tch

No demo on Steam? :( Ah well. I'm just glad this game's release meant the rest of the titles were $10 in total last week on sale.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I might grab this once it's $10 or less. It looks pretty damn boring. I loved Guerrilla, though!

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
My friend was all stoked about this and I don't think he even knew it came out today. Wasn't there a SyFy series to help promote this game too?

Lunchbox

Banned
this trash was off my list right after the demo

Guerrilla is one of my favorite games this gen, i even got the earn 100,000 XP in multiplayer achievement. i almost cried after playing that demo and watching what they did to that game

Top Bottom