• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Dangan Ronpa 2 Spoiler Thread | Aloha, Despair!

Sorian

Banned
I liked Hiyoko. Sure, she was a giant asshole, but I thought she was entertaining. A good edition to the cast, wouldn't have been fun if everyone was just nice to each other all the time. And she became friends with Mahiru, maybe the rest of the group should have tried to break down her shell a little bit more. I warmed up to her in chapter 2, and her little memorial for Mahiru in the restaurant made me actually like her. I was bummed when she died, I thought her and Fuyuhiko were both going to be redeemed.

I agree that the cast wouldn't have been as good if everyone just got along but I hate characters who are assholes just for the sake of being assholes. Fyuhiko made a great asshole in chapter 1 and 2. He had reason for being that way and characterization helped me to see that. Even with Hiyoko's FTEs, I still feel like she is an asshole just to be an asshole.

I agree that the cast wouldn't have been as good if everyone just got along but I hate characters who are assholes just for the sake of being assholes. Fyuhiko made a great asshole in chapter 1 and 2. He had reason for being that way and characterization helped me to see that. Even with Hiyoko's FTEs, I still feel like she is an asshole just to be an asshole.
I found Hiyoko to be more a comic relief character than anything. Other than that, she just wasn't given much development other than a few scenes involving Mahiru. Her FTEs were just bad though, they made me like the character less, and not in an interesting way.

I agree with what someone said earlier. She deserved her death being as uneventful as possible. I think out of everyone, she was probably the easiest for Junko to turn to despair since she was already a little piece of shit.
Such a bad character, I couldn't even feel for her when she was being framed for her friend's murder.
You....
Saionji_%2814%29.png

Tizoc

I liked Hiyoko being a bitch just for the heck of it.
It's that allure of 'more than meets the eye', and don't forget that she's a traditional japanese dancer, which is a dance style with grace, and her being a cute little girl you would never assume she was a rude bitch.

Drago

Hiyoko was by far my least favorite cast member. The only cast member in the whole game I didn't like. Not a single redeeming thing about her for me, I am so glad they decided against having her survive and letting Fuyuhiko live instead. >_>

*pans to Hiyoko's body*

clap.gif
LOL I love the usage of this gif here

Rubedo

I found Hiyoko to be more a comic relief character than anything. Other than that, she just wasn't given much development other than a few scenes involving Mahiru. Her FTEs were just bad though, they made me like the character less, and not in an interesting way.

Yeah most of the FTEs make you see why a character does what they do and make you like them more. I did Hiyoko's in Island Mode and...yep...still a little shit stain.

Sorian

Banned
I will add a disclaimer, though I feel that nothing would come from it because Hiyoko was all about looking the part of being sweet while not actually being sweet at all. That picture of post-growth spurt Hiyoko looks like it was taken before she was an ultimate despair and she seems to be happy and exude a nicer aura. If we could come to find out that she stopped bullying and berating others because she lost some of the qualities about herself that probably made her a bit self-conscious then I could at least look at her in a better light because then she wouldn't be an ass just to be an ass. But, like I said, she was all about the perfect little appearance so that picture could have been and then she could have turned around and called Mikan a pig whore again or something.

LOL I love the usage of this gif here

Mikan is a bad person and should feel bad for targeting Ibuki but she was redeemed for this, even if it was bad luck/timing on Hiyoko's part. Mikan and chapter 3 also get bonus points because it is such an interesting chapter to replay after you know about the "Everyone was ultimate despair" twist.

I agree with what someone said earlier. She deserved her death being as uneventful as possible. I think out of everyone, she was probably the easiest for Junko to turn to despair since she was already a little piece of shit.

I'd argue it was Nagito. He most likely joined by himself because "hey the bigger the despair the bigger the hope it produces so hey let me help you fuck things up because hope", at least Hiyoko probably had to at least be asked to join...maybe.

LX_Theo

Banned
Except I'm not quite following what you want here. We have a statement from someone. You think its true and I think its false. We have absolutely no evidence that points one way or the other. You're main claim on the topic is "what reason would they have to lie?" I responded with a plausible reason and then countered with my belief that if I have a choice between a reason and a coincidence, I'll always choose the reason. You then proceeded to call me desperate and an idiot so I started shrugging you off.

Also, if we want to have a real debate, drop the bolded garbage analogy.
No, here's what we have. A statement from someone. You claim its a lie because of post hoc reasoning (aka the "too much of a coincidence" logical fallacy) and that they might be trying to cover up potential twists for future games.

I note that there is no reason to lie about it. Simply put, even if they were trying to cover up a plot twist, saying it was intentional or unintentional wouldn't make a difference. Why? Because they've been relatively open with the intentional parallels between the characters. They already have a public reason to justify it being intentional. Saying it was unintentional accomplishes nothing. No new information would be gathered if they said it was intentional.

After that, you started going on about how it was your opinion and that was enough to legitimize it. I noted this as, at best, being evasive tactics from actually addressing the issues with your points I noted (and worst, a desperate plea from someone in love with their own opinion).

The analogy is fine. Its the exact same line of logic as you posed so far. Why do you think I have such an issue with your reasoning here?

1) From someone who hasn't been involved in the debate at all, "high strung" does suit the way you're arguing about this.
2) I don't think you've actually pointed out any flaws in this reasoning:

"I don't believe that Nagito's name containing all the same letters of Makoto's name is a coincidence. They share too many similarities for me the believe that THAT happened just by chance. I know the developers said that it was, but they could have been lying. Who knows what else they have planned?"

Not being able to list a definite reason why they would lie does not mean it's a bad argument. Maybe initially Nagito WAS crazy-Makoto and they shifted gears but don't want to tell us? Maybe Nagito will be revealed to be a clone of Makoto, or they're both clones of someone else (lol pls no)? Maybe it was a joke or sarcastic remark and it WAS done on purpose?
Well, thank you for actually attempting to defend the statements with some reasoning. Though, that point still doesn't work. Like I've already said multiple times. Saying it was intentional accomplishes nothing, since no new information would be gained if they said it was intentional. Those other potential cover ups would still be safe regardless of which way they answered it.

There's a difference between acknowledging something as a possibility (like how you're framing his stance) and believing it to be the case.

Sorian

Banned
I'd argue it was Nagito. He most likely joined by himself because "hey the bigger the despair the bigger the hope it produces so hey let me help you fuck things up because hope", at least Hiyoko probably had to at least be asked to join...maybe.

Chapter 5 was brilliant and I really can't ask for it to be changed at all but man, I really want to see an instance of Nagito and Junko interacting. It's easy to imagine how Nagito would have become a Despair but the way he was talking about Junko and the arm in chapter 0 is just way too much for someone who is just doing it so he can foster the other side and make it stronger. He fell at some point and he fell hard and I think showing us that scene and writing it correctly could really cement how much Junko can really fuck up a person when she puts her mind to it.

Vylash

Hiyoko is the very personification of the constant and unwarranted abuse that turned Mikan into what she is, her being the one to kill Hiyoko felt like a twisted sense of vindication

Rubedo

Saionji_%2816%29.png

so this is what it feels to use DR sprites

Ah yes. That sprite reminds of another reason I hate Hiyoko. Not only is she a bratty bitch but she can't take what she dishes out. She will tell someone to kill themselves and then when they say that was a tad overboard she starts faking tears and using her stature to gain sympathy. It's like dealing with a toddler. It's just awful and I wanted to interact with her the least number of times possible.

dkoy

Do we know where Gundham's hamsters are in the real world (in game) ? It just struck me that while the ultimate despairs were plugged into the VR, Gundham's FOUR DARK DEVAS OF DESTRUCTION were never really mentioned after his death.

Maybe they died which caused Gundham's spiral into despair?

Do we know where Gundham's hamsters are in the real world (in game) ? It just struck me that while the ultimate despairs were plugged into the VR, Gundham's FOUR DARK DEVAS OF DESTRUCTION were never really mentioned after his death.

He probably ate them

Sorian

Banned
No, here's what we have. A statement from someone. You claim its a lie because of post hoc reasoning (aka the "too much of a coincidence" logical fallacy) and that they might be trying to cover up potential twists for future games.

I note that there is no reason to lie about it. Simply put, even if they were trying to cover up a plot twist, saying it was intentional or unintentional wouldn't make a difference. Why? Because they've been relatively open with the intentional parallels between the characters. They already have a public reason to justify it being intentional. Saying it was unintentional accomplishes nothing. No new information would be gathered if they said it was intentional.

After that, you started going on about how it was your opinion and that was enough to legitimize it. I noted this as, at best, being evasive tactics from actually addressing the issues with your points I noted (and worst, a desperate plea from someone in love with their own opinion).

The analogy is fine. Its the exact same line of logic as you posed so far. Why do you think I have such an issue with your reasoning here?

According to you, apparently, but not according to me. Saying it was unintentional disassociates Makoto and Nagito further in people's minds and that could definitely help in causing a shock down the road.

And no, I never said because it was my opinion that it suddenly became true or more legitimate. I said it was my opinion and I'm sticking to it, especially since you have absolutely no evidence that can prove it wrong other than the same type of spitballing that I'm doing.

I don't know if their deaths were what caused his downward spiral but I think it's safe to say they are already dead. It's been a few years since they entered Hope's Peak and I don't think hamsters have a very long life span.

They most likely went away as they were probably part of Gundham's memories and not actual hamsters hooked up to a machine.

I doubt Gundham went into despair if his hamsters died since he does know the lifespan of them and wouldn't be much of a breeder if he expected them to live forever. If all of his animals start dying off at the same time sure, that could cause some despair.

Chapter 5 was brilliant and I really can't ask for it to be changed at all but man, I really want to see an instance of Nagito and Junko interacting. It's easy to imagine how Nagito would have become a Despair but the way he was talking about Junko and the arm in chapter 0 is just way too much for someone who is just doing it so he can foster the other side and make it stronger. He fell at some point and he fell hard and I think showing us that scene and writing it correctly could really cement how much Junko can really fuck up a person when she puts her mind to it.

AE spoiler for a line of Nagito that's irrelevant to the plot of the game but just in case
In AE he says he's doing what he does in the name of hope and calls Junko his most loved and most hated person because her despair will create the biggest hope

If Junko did anything to him, it was probably only convince him that if they were to fail it would create the biggest hope ever really

Rubedo

AE spoiler for a line of Nagito that's irrelevant to the plot of the game but just in case
In AE he says he's doing what he does in the name of hope and calls Junko his most loved and most hated person because her despair will create the biggest hope

If Junko did anything to him, it was probably only convince him that if they were to fail it would create the biggest hope ever really

That kid has issues.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
Ah yes. That sprite reminds of another reason I hate Hiyoko. Not only is she a bratty bitch but she can't take what she dishes out. She will tell someone to kill themselves and then when they say that was a tad overboard she starts faking tears and using her stature to gain sympathy. It's like dealing with a toddler. It's just awful and I wanted to interact with her the least number of times possible.

No joke, Hiyoko is probably one of my most hated characters in a video game ever. I wish there was an option to tell her to shut up and stop bullying Mikan, but, alas, the writers though otherwise.

Sorian

Banned

Question about AE, just regarding Nagito's condition:
Did he already have her arm attached to him? Just with the information I have from DR2, I feel that Nagito went from crazy but driven to deranged crazy at some point and I think the arm was a part of that personality shift.

Question about AE, just regarding Nagito's condition:
Did he already have her arm attached to him? Just with the information I have from DR2, I feel that Nagito went from crazy but driven to deranged crazy at some point and I think the arm was a part of that personality shift.

I don't yhink it's ever shown afaik but why else would he wear only one glove with that glove being where said hand is supposed to be

Sorian

Banned
Apparently he has FTD and lymphoma.
In addition to his parents dying next to him, him getting kidnapped, and so on.

To be fair, we also have to be open to the possibility that all of his stories were lies. He says its a possibility himself and he's obviously alive past the time his doctors gave him to live.

I don't yhink it's ever shown afaik but why else would he wear only one glove with that glove being where said hand is supposed to be

Oh cool, good enough for me then. Sorry, I knew he was in the game but I didn't really look at his design much past an initial glance. I am trying to stay spoiler-free, kind of.

dkoy

I don't know if their deaths were what caused his downward spiral but I think it's safe to say they are already dead. It's been a few years since they entered Hope's Peak and I don't think hamsters have a very long life span.

They most likely went away as they were probably part of Gundham's memories and not actual hamsters hooked up to a machine.

I doubt Gundham went into despair if his hamsters died since he does know the lifespan of them and wouldn't be much of a breeder if he expected them to live forever. If all of his animals start dying off at the same time sure, that could cause some despair.

Of course when I say 'died' I really mean 'Killed or tortured in some cruel way that would cause despair'. Should have specified :p Though I haven't actually completed any of the characters' FTEs yet so I don't know how attached Gundam is to his hamsters.

He probably ate them

No.....

Though I haven't actually completed any of the characters' FTEs yet so I don't know how attached Gundam is to his hamsters.

He definitely loves them, but he mentions experiencing many pets dying on him before so I don't think the Devas' deaths would necessarily affect him more than those of his prior companions.

LX_Theo

Banned
According to you, apparently, but not according to me. Saying it was unintentional disassociates Makoto and Nagito further in people's minds and that could definitely help in causing a shock down the road.

And no, I never said because it was my opinion that it suddenly became true or more legitimate. I said it was my opinion and I'm sticking to it, especially since you have absolutely no evidence that can prove it wrong other than the same type of spitballing that I'm doing.
If you were trying to hide something by creating a disassociation between two linked things, you would make an active effort to disassociate them. You wouldn't actively write the game to make people associate the two characters. You wouldn't publish works that talk about how the association between them was intentional. You wouldn't have the game directly have a major character bluntly note how the two characters are similar on multiple occassions. One instance does almost nothing to achieve that goal. There's no point to doing it for that reason.

Once again, we return to no reason for them to do it.

Which leaves me to wonder why you insist its a legitimate enough argument to believe in. I can think of (and have already posed) several possibilities that range from benefit of the doubt to a very negative view of you. In the end, you either truly believe that this line of reasoning is legitimate, or you believe it because you simply want to believe its true (for some reason I can only speculate on, like I have). I suppose I want is to know which it is, and for you to pose a respectable line of reasoning if its the first of those.

Rubedo

Apparently he has FTD and lymphoma.
In addition to his parents dying next to him, him getting kidnapped, and so on.

I know but still.

"Gaiz let's destroy the world and murder millions of people so that we can SAVE the world and make people happy and hopeful!"

His logic is quite intriguing.

Of course when I say 'died' I really mean 'Killed or tortured in some cruel way that would cause despair'. Should have specified :p Though I haven't actually completed any of the characters' FTEs yet so I don't know how attached Gundam is to his hamsters.

6b6Zp3i.png

Super Duper Attached of course.

And likewise to him too. What other breeder would have his past animals come down as angels to take him to heaven after his death?

Sorian

Banned
If you were trying to hide something by creating a disassociation between two linked things, you would make an active effort to disassociate them. You wouldn't actively write the game to make people associate the two characters. You wouldn't publish works that talk about how the association between them was intentional. You wouldn't have the game directly have a major character bluntly note how the two characters are similar on multiple occassions. One instance does almost nothing to achieve that goal. There's no point to doing it for that reason.

Once again, we return to no reason for them to do it.

Which leaves me to wonder why you insist its a legitimate enough argument to believe in. I can think of (and have already posed) several possibilities that range from benefit of the doubt to a very negative view of you. In the end, you either truly believe that this line of reasoning is legitimate, or you believe it because you simply want to believe its true (for some reason I can only speculate on, like I have).

Um, a good writer for this genre would try their hardest to set up expectations and subvert them, sometimes repeatedly. All I'm doing is offering the possibility that someone could be attempting this. Past that, we still have the fact that this was a comment by one developer that could have just been an offhand lie or giving a sarcastic/funny response. Hell, maybe he did it just for you so we could have this argument today.

At this point, I'm forced to wonder why you care so much. Do you crave me dropping my opinion and agreeing with you that badly?

LX_Theo

Banned
Um, a good writer for this genre would try their hardest to set up expectations and subvert them, sometimes repeatedly. All I'm doing is offering the possibility that someone could be attempting this. Past that, we still have the fact that this was a comment by one developer that could have just been an offhand lie or giving a sarcastic/funny response. Hell, maybe he did it just for you so we could have this argument today.

At this point, I'm forced to wonder why you care so much. Do you crave me dropping my opinion and agreeing with you that badly?
Once again, a writer wouldn't rely on this single instance outside of the actual story to subvert anything. For one, most of the fanbase playing the game won't ever see it, nor would the writer expect them to. The rest of your suggestions sound like whatever you can think of off the top of your head. Being possible is not a reason to believe in something. Again, this is the same sort of logic that fuels stuff like the president example I gave earlier.

There's your problem. You assume someone puts up a side of an argument can only be because they care about the topic at hand. Maybe that's why you keep thinking I'm being high strung? I simply follow through on what I do. That's all the reason I need.

I know but still.

"Gaiz let's destroy the world and murder millions of people so that we can SAVE the world and make people happy and hopeful!"

His logic is quite intriguing.

Yeah, and the best/worst thing is that as we can see in this game, that's not even something you can blame Junko for.

Once again, a writer wouldn't rely on this single instance outside of the actual story to subvert anything. For one, most of the fanbase playing the game won't ever see it, nor would the writer expect them to. The rest of your suggestions sound like whatever you can think of off the top of your head. Being possible is not a reason to believe in something. Again, this is the same sort of logic that fuels stuff like the president example I gave earlier.

There's your problem. You assume someone puts up a side of an argument can only be because they care about the topic at hand. Maybe that's why you keep thinking I'm being high strung? I simply follow through on what I do. That's all the reason I need.

If there's a problem here, it's that you're completely deaf to the tone of your posts.

Dominator

Just got to Chapter 6, this game is cray.

EDIT: Andddd this is the spoiler thread lol good thing I didn't read anything.

I'll be back, soon :D

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
According to chapter 0, Izuru uploaded the AI to "use her like she used him." Who knows what that means.

Probably meant how Junko manipulated him and the other student council members to initiate The Tragedy, he probably knew the Junko AI would start a killing game, and it would lead to him recovering his Hajime persona. He is the Ultimate Hope, after all.

Jintor

I liked hiyoko because she was at least trying to change.

I don't think I actively disliked any member of the cast. Maybe teruteru, but that's just because, well, you don't spend a lot of time with him. His s-link is okay.

After going through Island Mode, I'm now pretty positive that Nekomaru is gay, or at least bisexual. He refers to interactions between himself and Hajime as actual dates (not "man-dates" like stupid Kazuichi) and tells Hajime bluntly to plan better so Nekomaru can "fall for him". (If you pick a lame choice during a Trip Ticket event.)

Add to this all the evidence from the main game and his Free Time events, and I'm sold. Nekomaru is into man-on-man lovin'! Best DR character all time ever confirmed. :D

Mohasus

Just finished the game, didn't like the ending, most of the twists were heavily implied before (I mean, if monokuma says something and it is in orange, then you can be damn sure that it is important). The trip was cool though, even if most executions were easy to find out the killer. For example, Mahiru's killer had to be in the library when Sonia talked about Sparkling Justice. Same with the Radio Clock in chapter 4.

Also, I'm surprised no one talked about Mikan in the last trial.

I liked hiyoko because she was at least trying to change.

I don't think I actively disliked any member of the cast. Maybe teruteru, but that's just because, well, you don't spend a lot of time with him. His s-link is okay.

I really dislike Akane, everytime she says anything I want to punch the screen. I thought she would be like Aoi, but nope. Soda was ok at first, but by the end of the game I didn't like him too.

Top Bottom