• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Dangan Ronpa 2 Spoiler Thread | Aloha, Despair!

so, if u guys were to try and rank the murderers from least sympathetic to most how would you do it

1) Celeste
2) Leon (Two horrible people involved in this one)
3) Teruteru
4) Mondo
5) Mikan (Could possibly feel more sympathetic based on her being forced back into despair self and not getting the rehabilitation chance the others got)
6) Gundam (SHe did save everyone else, coulda went with suicide and saved nekomaru as well. Damn his pride)
7) Peko (Peko did everything for someone else. Its not the right choice but easy for me to feel sympathetic. Or maybe im just feeling sympathetic for fuyuhiko)
8) Sakura (killed herself so she wouldnt have to betray her friends...)
9) Chiaki (was tricked...I can put my AI twist hatred aside long enough to recognize that chiaki didnt deserve to "die" for trying to put out a fire)

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
you guys are crazy, Celeste's motive was the best

Sayaka: I NEED TO SEE MY FRIENDS!
Mondo: I'M STILL TOO WEAK!
Celeste: HUSBANDOS!

At least Sayaka realized it was dumb and tried to retreat, what is Leon's excuse.

At least Sayaka realized it was dumb and tried to retreat, what is Leon's excuse.
Leon gets credit for having the best chance in teh whole series to get away with the crime. The most people were still alive at the time, and his victim had already managed to stage the majority of the crime for him.

for comparison, Teruteru was a complete idiot, the moment the wounds on byakuya didnt match up with a knife he was an easy suspect.

Vylash

Best motive:

Chiaki: I was forced into killing someone, but i'm going to take the fall because I deeply care about you guys.

ibj4hjDS6nFK4A.gif

ALLOW ME TO CUT THROUGH THOSE WORDS

there is absolutely nothing in this world that's a better motive than "husbandos"

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
Leon gets credit for having the best chance in teh whole series to get away with the crime. The most people were still alive at the time, and his victim had already managed to stage the majority of the crime.
If only he would've paid more attention in 1st grade English he could've erased the part of the scene where his name was in huge, bloody letters.

Meia

I feel like Gundham's murder is justified if they were all going to die if he didn't do something.

I do actually wonder about that, truth be told. If a headmaster can't arbitrarily kill anyone he wants to, he probably doesn't have the ability to let all of them flat out die by locking them somewhere and not feeding them if they refuse to kill someone to eat...

It's the same mess with Mikan, how it's Monokuma's direct screwing with a student that causes her to kill someone, when she was taking care of them(and putting herself in harm's way to do it!) instead.

Sorian

Banned
I do actually wonder about that, truth be told. If a headmaster can't arbitrarily kill anyone he wants to, he probably doesn't have the ability to let all of them flat out die by locking them somewhere and not feeding them if they refuse to kill someone to eat...

It's the same mess with Mikan, how it's Monokuma's direct screwing with a student that causes her to kill someone, when she was taking care of them(and putting herself in harm's way to do it!) instead.

I don't think the system actually limits Monokuma based on the rules but if someone points out that he disobeyed then he has to undo what he did wrong. It seemed like Fuyuhiko and Nekomaru dying would have stuck if Monomi didn't jump in and say something.

Sorian

Banned
I'm not sure it said that, but doesn't "Remnants of Despair" mean all of the remaining Ultimate Despair, and not just the Hope's Peak survivors?

Probably but then do we have info on who else was considered an Ultimate Despair. I don't think it was just anyone who Junko corrupted. This seems like such an odd thing to argue though. In the end, a story is being told here and while it is possible that they were just listing things to shock the audience, I think it's a little too coincidental for two of the pictures/descriptions to match up so perfectly with some characters but then for the other 3 to just be random nobodies.

Sharpeye

I think Monokuma was expecting the gang to commit cannibalism due to hunger, thus getting a murder to happen without everyone dying. I think even Gundam mentions it and may be one of the reason he had his duel.

Ultimate Despair killed themselves, besides the 16.

Should be 15 :p

And some did, not all of them. Fake-Makoto listed what a long list of things the Ultimate Despair did, one of which included suicide.

I don't believe there's anything saying there isn't any more Ultimate Despairs running around causing havoc in the world.

Busaiku

Well, Future Foundation said they're finally able to start rebuilding cause things have eased up now, which likely means that Ultimate Despair's gone, besides these guys.
Also, 16 still works, cause of Alter Ego!

FluxWaveZ

Ultimate Despair killed themselves, besides the 16.

What? I thought Ultimate Despair was society at large.

In the end, a story is being told here and while it is possible that they were just listing things to shock the audience, I think it's a little too coincidental for two of the pictures/descriptions to match up so perfectly with some characters but then for the other 3 to just be random nobodies.

Or it could be inconsequential to the actual story being told, so the writers don't even know who those portraits implied.

OMG Aero

And yeah, I don't necessarily think that the five pictured need to line up with any of the students we know. Wasn't it Fake-oto that told them about those events anyways? For all we know, Junko could've invented those details to make the group doubt themselves and feel like sacks of crap.
I don't get why Junko told them that anyway. Maybe she was stalling for time for the real Makoto to arrive and get stuck and she did give the silver lining of "if you graduate you'll leave with your memories so it'll be okay" but it just gives the survivors less reasons to vote for graduate and more reasons to vote to repeat which accomplishes nothing for her.

PK Gaming

Well, Future Foundation said they're finally able to start rebuilding cause things have eased up now, which likely means that Ultimate Despair's gone, besides these guys.
Also, 16 still works, cause of Alter Ego!

Didn't they say otherwise? Makoto and co implied that they still had a lot of work ahead of them before they could settle down.

I don't get why Junko told them that anyway. Maybe she was stalling for time for the real Makoto to arrive and get stuck and she did give the silver lining of "if you graduate you'll leave with your memories so it'll be okay" but it just gives the survivors less reasons to vote for graduate and more reasons to vote to repeat which accomplishes nothing for her.

I think that was her whole angle during that class trial. To stall for time for the 'main cast' to arrive.

Pretty much everything was going along with her tune until Super Saiyan Hajime appeared.

would leave her in despair, which is ecstasy to her?

thats all I got

Rubedo

you guys are crazy, Celeste's motive was the best

Sayaka: I NEED TO SEE MY FRIENDS!
Mondo: I'M STILL TOO WEAK!
Celeste: HUSBANDOS!

At least Mondo realizes his was dumb. And it wasn't really calculated. He just got pissed, lost control, and when he finally regained full concious control over himself he saw what he did.

And I suspect Celeste's reason was also heavily to finally get out of being trapped there. The money and Hifumi hating Taka just made it the opportune time to do it.

Sorian

Banned
What? I thought Ultimate Despair was society at large.

Or it could be inconsequential to the actual story being told, so the writers don't even know who those portraits implied.

Ultimate Despair was definitely not society at large. Society was being directed to riot because of those who were labeled Ultimate Despair.

And I wouldn't just hand wave something as inconsequential to the story. Unless it's just a throwaway joke or other kind of reference, I highly doubt it was written for no reason.

FluxWaveZ

Ultimate Despair was definitely not society at large. Society was being directed to riot because of those who were labeled Ultimate Despair.

And I wouldn't just hand wave something as inconsequential to the story. Unless it's just a throwaway joke or other kind of reference, I highly doubt it was written for no reason.

Wait, when or where does it say this? Then who is "Ultimate Despair"? I never took it for some Illuminati group directing the chaos; I thought it implied everyone subject to Junko's influence.

And as things stand in DR2, those portraits are inconsequential to the story, just like what was actually beyond the door opening at the end of DR1. They have no relevance to the immediate story, was my point. They might have relevance in the future for the series; they might not. The point of that scene was to depict just how messed up the Ultimate Despair was as a whole, and how that implicated the DR2 cast, not to associate the portraits with the individual characters.

Vylash

Wait, when or where does it say this? Then who is "Ultimate Despair"? I never took it for some Illuminati group directing the chaos; I thought it implied everyone subject to Junko's influence.

And as things stand in DR2, those portraits are inconsequential to the story, just like what was actually beyond the door opening at the end of DR1. They have no relevance to the immediate story, was my point. They might have relevance in the future for the series; they might not. The point of that scene was to depict just how messed up the Ultimate Despair was as a whole, and how that implicated the DR2 cast, not to associate the portraits with the individual characters.

Junko and Mukuro...well I guess just Junko now

Sorian

Banned

Well the easy way to solve this is if someone who played the JPN version could answer a question for me. Did they refer to the Remnants of Despair as Ultimate Despairs or SHSL Despairs. If they referred to them as SHSL then I think it's fair to say that Ultimate Despairs could only be students from hopes peak.

Rubedo

But aside from that, are you sure that "Ultimate Despair" was never referred to for anyone other than Junko and Mukuro? Why does that sound false to me? Maybe I was wrongly interpreting what that meant this whole time.

Ultimate Despair is the whole group. Mukuro and Junko were just the heads. Junko and those who served under her (like the 15 that became Remnants) all make up Ultimate Despair.

FluxWaveZ

Ultimate Despair is the whole group. Mukuro and Junko were just the heads. Junko and those who served under her (like the 15 that became Remnants) all make up Ultimate Despair.

Hm, so "Ultimate Despair" is supposed to be just the Hope's Peak students, then (but not just Junko and Mukuro, either). I didn't realize that.

PK Gaming

Well the easy way to solve this is if someone who played the JPN version could answer a question for me. Did they refer to the Remnants of Despair as Ultimate Despairs or SHSL Despairs. If they referred to them as SHSL then I think it's fair to say that Ultimate Despairs could only be students from hopes peak.

The latter.

Super High School Level Despair

FluxWaveZ

Then that does mean that what fake Makoto was saying about what they did was directly relevant to the Remnants of Despair, doesn't it? Or did she even refer to "Ultimate Despair" or "Remnants of Despair" when she was describing the people under Junko's influence...?

Suddenly, I'm confused.

Squire

Banned
That was always clear to me. It's Junko, Mukuro, and the rest of the kids. It can't really be an elite group if it includes everyone and their mother. XD

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
I always guessed it was only Junko, Mukuro and the DR2 cast. I mean, the DR2 cast is already from various classes, so them being the only real Ultimate Despairs makes sense.

FluxWaveZ

I always guessed it was only Junko, Mukuro and the DR2 cast. I mean, the DR2 cast is already from various classes, so them being the only real Ultimate Despairs makes sense.

Were the Reserve Course students who killed themselves for Junko also "Ultimate Despair"?

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
Were the Reserve Course students who killed themselves for Junko also "Ultimate Despair"?

I guess not, they were part of Junko's cult of personality, but couldn't cause enough Despair themselves to be considered Ultimate Despairs.

Sorian

Banned

I consider them a part of it but I don't think it's outright stated. If they were I think it was a way for Junko to mock them like "hey, at least now you have a real ultimate title."

PK Gaming

I distinctly remember Junko referring to them as "losers", so I don't think so. She exerted her influence over them using her Junko-brand Despair magic, but I don't think they were a part of her group.

EDIT:

That student used the cover-up to incite the students of the Reserve Department, who had long held resentment against the school, into an insurrection.

MONOKUMA: Don’t you know about what happened to the Reserve Students who rose up in “The Worst, Most Despair-Inducing Incident in the History of Hope’s Peak Academy”?
HINATA HAJIME: Wh-what happened to them ...?
MONOKUMA: Enoshima has the power to change people’s values. That's another way in which she's like those great heroes and villains of history
HINATA HAJIME: Hey, what did you mean by what happened to them! What happened to the Reserve Students!?
MONOKUMA: They had fulfilled their purpose. And so, believing that it was “what they had to do...”
MONOKUMA: All 2,357 members of the Reserve Department committed mass suicide!
HINATA HAJIME: Mass suicide!?

kewlmyc

Yes, Junko, Mukuro, and the DR2 cast are the only Ultimate Despairs. Doesn't mean that her influence around the world didn't give birth to other despair-inducing factions though.

Squire

Banned
Yes, Junko, Mukuro, and the DR2 cast are the only Ultimate Despairs. Doesn't mean that her influence around the world didn't give birth to other despair-inducing factions though.

I don't think that point is in contention. UD and the reserve course are different groups though. She talks about the reserve course like roaches.

so, if u guys were to try and rank the murderers from least sympathetic to most how would you do it

1) Celeste
2) Leon (Two horrible people involved in this one)
3) Teruteru
4) Mondo
5) Mikan (Could possibly feel more sympathetic based on her being forced back into despair self and not getting the rehabilitation chance the others got)
6) Gundam (SHe did save everyone else, coulda went with suicide and saved nekomaru as well. Damn his pride)
7) Peko (Peko did everything for someone else. Its not the right choice but easy for me to feel sympathetic. Or maybe im just feeling sympathetic for fuyuhiko)
8) Sakura (killed herself so she wouldnt have to betray her friends...)
9) Chiaki (was tricked...I can put my AI twist hatred aside long enough to recognize that chiaki didnt deserve to "die" for trying to put out a fire)
You should read the Dangan Ronpa manga. It made Leon one of my favorite characters in the series, and is probably the murderer who I most feel sorry for. (along with Gundham and Chiaki)

Squire

Banned
You should read the Dangan Ronpa manga. It made Leon one of my favorite characters in the series, and is probably the murderer who I most feel sorry for. (along with Gundham and Chiaki)

How is the manga in general? Leon was a fucking mark in the game.

Speaking of alternate adaptions, is there a DR2 manga? I was wondering why they didn't try to do an anime for it, even despite the first series being bad. DR2 is just praised so often. Once I got to Chapter 6 in the game though, I was like, "Yeah, it'd never work as an anime."

Top Bottom