• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: In Production [Rumors/SPOILERS for All Films Past, Present, & Future]

Cheebo

Banned
Seeing how he spoiled a scene kept secret, spelled it Kilo and that picture I think its safe to say Harrison did that himself and didn't have it read over by a PR type.

ryan299

CVa36h8WoAECoQs.jpg

ahah. Not a smart move

Cheebo

Banned
Part of me is surprised Ford doesnt blurt out he dies in the movie in the middle of an interview, dude just doesnt seem to care lol

prag16

Banned
Seeing how he spoiled a scene kept secret, spelled it Kilo and that picture I think its safe to say Harrison did that himself and didn't have it read over by a PR type.
Meh. The fact that such a duel takes place doesn't seem like a stretch it any kind of monster spoiler. Nevertheless, Harrison Ford is a hard core badass and gives zero fucks.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
We're doing this?
5>4>6>1=2=3

Cheebo

Banned
What I find interesting is how nearly everyone now puts 3 above 6 in the SW fan community. Easily the vast majority opinion these days amongst fans.

Originals always > Prequels is far from clear cut nowadays and more and more fans grow up on the prequels.

Moff

as someone who always loved episode 6, this really breaks my heart
and I don't even hate episode 3 or the prequels in general

Jedi's pacing is just sooooo off.

Not even the great payback of the simultaneous Endor ground battle/space battle/Luke fighting his pops again can make up for how much the movie drags in the first two acts.

prag16

Banned
What I find interesting is how nearly everyone now puts 3 above 6 in the SW fan community. Easily the vast majority opinion these days amongst fans.

Originals always > Prequels is far from clear cut nowadays and more and more fans grow up on the prequels.
It's really the majority opinion now?? I'm surprised if that's the case. I grew up on the originals, and have seen mostly hate from friends (and the Internet) for the prequels, including 3.

Cheebo

Banned
It's really the majority opinion now?? I'm surprised if that's the case. I grew up on the originals, and have seen mostly hate from friends (and the Internet) for the prequels, including 3.
Amongst Star Wars fans? Yes, of course. Go look art any film ranking on the various bigger Star Wars fan communities all over the internet. 3 above 6 is the common view the last few years as far as I can see.

The Clone Wars and how beloved it is by the fanbase did a lot for the prequel era that has grown amongst the fanbase. That and the one two punch of younger fans coming of age in the prequel & TCW era.

Do not forget for a lot of fans Ashoka was their entry point now. She is their Luke. And that those of us who grew up with the originals in a pre-SE pre-Prequel world are very likely the minority of the fanbase these days. We are the old ones and the younger kids are taking over.

Deadly

Do we know if the movie is post converted 3D or actual good 3D and whatnot?

Figure I'd ask this here since I don't know which is the most recent Star Wars thread.

Cheebo

Banned
Do we know if the movie is post converted 3D or actual good 3D and whatnot?

Figure I'd ask this here since I don't know which is the most recent Star Wars thread.

Post-converted, it was shot on traditional film (with a bit shot with IMAX cameras).

Pappasman

Im watching Clone Wars now and now I see why its so loved. Its really damn good. Its weird to like something from the prequel era.

Also there is no universe in which 3 even approaches 6. Kids can have whatever opinion they want, that shit is wrong.

Cheebo

Banned
People need to remember it's been nearly twenty fucking years since the Special Edition which marked the beginning of the schism of the old OT fans and the new era of young fans who grew up in a post-OT era.

We are OLD, and the every increasing minority of the fanbase. Kids who grew up with the Clone Wars and Prequels as their Star Wars are not going away. And there will be even more with these new films. We are the old fading era of the fanbase. It isn't "our" fandom anymore.

This is the fandom now, all kinds of girls dressing as Ahsoka. To them that is what Star Wars represents. And they are not wrong.
Ahsoka-Lives-04212015-970x545.jpg

Cheebo

Banned
Whenever I see young kids in Star Wars shirts and the like it is always a nice reminder that as someone old enough to remember the dark times of the mid 80s - eary 90s when the franchise was dead and who seeked out the Harmy edits this shit really isn't about me anymore. We are just the old people still hanging on.

What the fuck is an Ahsoka?
This was a bigger deal than the TFA trailer for some fans dude.

People need to remember it's been nearly twenty fucking years since the Special Edition which marked the beginning of the schism of the old OT fans and the new era of young fans who grew up in a post-OT era.

We are OLD, and the every increasing minority of the fanbase. Kids who grew up with the Clone Wars and Prequels as their Star Wars are not going away. And there will be even more with these new films. We are the old fading era of the fanbase. It isn't "our" fandom anymore.

This is the fandom now, all kinds of girls dressing as Ahsoka. To them that is what Star Wars represents. And they are not wrong.

You just showed a picture of maybe the only people in the world who know who that is.

Joeytj

Banned
Boy, some SW fans sure are grumpy and out of the loop nowadays.

Anyway, I try to be "hip" and enjoy everything Star Wars, from the OT to Rebels, so I don't get how some people just stick to the OT and call themselves SW fans, or shit on everything else. You can have a preference, but to pretend the rest doesn't exist isn't really an option for me.

I laugh at the horrible parts of the prequels but enjoyed the best of the Clone Wars immensely, and I don't miss a single episode of Rebels (second season has been so-so) or the new canon material.

I'm 28, by the way, so I was born in the era of no OT in the theaters, no Special editions and no prequels, but still managed to become obsessed with SW.

Showing your age there, guys.

The franchise belongs to a new generation now. There's a reason that Disney decided to use Anakin and Ahsoka as the faces of Disney Infinity 3.0 over any other SW characters.

My age is shown in my kids who are going to stay far away from this cartoon nonsense.

Moff

haha, this picture makes me like Ashoka a lot more. I was never fond of her in the show but it sure makes me glad she helped expand the fandom like that.

These Ahsoka posts have to be trolling.

I'm an OG StarWars fan and I know who that is. I mean, if you are really a fan, you probably digest everything for better or worse, so these "who are Ashoka" peeps look like casuals to me.

Boy, some SW fans sure are grumpy and out of the loop nowadays.

Anyway, I try to be "hip" and enjoy everything Star Wars, from the OT to Rebels, so I don't get how some people just stick to the OT and call themselves SW fans, or shit on everything else. You can have a preference, but to pretend the rest doesn't exist isn't really an option for me.

I laugh at the horrible parts of the prequels but enjoyed the best of the Clone Wars immensely, and I don't miss a single episode of Rebels (second season has been so-so) or the new canon material.

I'm 28, by the way, so I was born in the era of no OT in the theaters, no Special editions and no prequels, but still managed to become obsessed with SW.

Age has nothing to do with preference I find. I have a friend in his forties who will defend the prequels to the moon and loves Clone Wars. He's great but I never trust his critical thinking because he bases his love of a film on if he likes the director rather than if the film is good. He will dismiss a film without watching it if he has no history with the director.

I'm 27 grew up with the Special Editions but now I avoid anything that isn't the theatrical cuts of the OT.

I'll admit there are some interesting ideas and visuals in The Phantom Menace. And it's the one prequel that doesn't look like ass now - thanks to having been shot on film - but the other two prequels are as bad as each other. Sith is the hardest pill to swallow for me because unlike the other two, Sith has a great idea to hang the plot on. A gift of story. The fall of a hero and it utterly fails to capitalised on that. It somehow fails to tell that story well, let alone tell it dramatically.

I find it baffling that some say that Sith is better than Jedi. Jedi is the weakest of the OT, but it is still a well acted, visually engaging film with the best space battle and arguably the best duel in the OT. A duel rich in pathos, suspense and emotion. People cite pacing and Ewoks but I'd argue that the pacing of Sith is worse, The Obi/Grevious subplot is a dead end and is ultimately pointless.

The Clone Wars feels like damage control to me. Other writers making up for the missteps of films. I shouldn't have to watch CW to better enjoy the prequels. The OT doesn't require that step. They were good on their own.

As to what a "fan" can or can't enjoy. They can count what they want as canon. It's their party. Hell, there is such a disconnect visually and tonal between the OT and everything else that I find it crazy easy to just delete it from my canon. Am I any less a fan because of me making that distinction? Does it make anyone else more of a fan because they love Tano or Dooku? Of course not.

I'm a massive Star Wars fan. Huge. I freaking love the first three films. The more I watch them the more they engage with me. As I get older I appreciate things I never have before, moments I (somehow) missed. They are eternally re-watchable for me. They are movie magic. And they still move me.

Top Bottom