• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

wait what? im confused, so even though i have preordered and secured early access i still cant play till a unknown time when my early access is accepted by bioware?

Wtf is this why cant we all just play on the 13th i wasnt aware that you had to preorder earlier to get the earliest access that seems stupid

Sent

wait what? im confused, so even though i have preordered and secured early access i still cant play till a unknown time when my early access is accepted by bioware?

Wtf is this why cant we all just play on the 13th i wasnt aware that you had to preorder earlier to get the earliest access that seems stupid

Yes this is the case. They weren't super clear on how it worked, only people who were really following the game knew this. We can't all play on the 13th since the servers would probably implode.

It does suck though not knowing.

yup same with me, I just assumed i would be able to play when they flicked the switch.

So now i just have to guess when i can play?

when is your preorder date?

They stated this is how it will work since day one of preorders, and it said so when they gave out early access/preorder codes.

Wow, uh... that confirms that gender have slight story differences.

Some of the cutscenes play out differently if you are male or female.

Sent

They stated this is how it will work since day one of preorders, and it said so when they gave out early access/preorder codes.

Some of the cutscenes play out differently if you are male or female.

What they mean is if you go the website, click Pre-order the most you'll see is "may play up to 5 days." The only way you'd know from that website is the tiny text at the very very bottom of the page. It's a little "wtf" but I know why they did it.

What they mean is if you go the website, click Pre-order the most you'll see is "may play up to 5 days." The only way you'd know from that website is the tiny text at the very very bottom of the page. It's a little "wtf" but I know why they did it.

It wasn't just on the TOR website, but also when you would go preorder the game from retailers, the emails they sent to you with your code. The website, and the areas where you put in your code info. Plus it's been talked about to death here and on all the forums.

masterkajo

If I could get ahold of a pre-order ealry access code I could play SWTOR until the 20th without having bought the game?
I am asking because I missed one of the free weekends (where I got a code) and would like to try before buying. But I guess without buying I won't get a alreay access code, right?

Sent

It wasn't just on the TOR website, but also when you would go preorder the game from retailers, the emails they sent to you with your code. The website, and the areas where you put in your code info. Plus it's been talked about to death here and on all the forums.

Would be nice for it to be clearer BEFORE you ordered /shrug, I'm sure the official forums are exploding lol

On another note anyone know what changes have been made between last open weekend and now with all those mini patches?

Woorloog

Banned
The game is running so much smoother than the last time I played the Beta at Thanksgiving, holy shit its smooth

Yeah, a bit smoother... but i really need to tweak .ini to reduce view distance if possible, that gives good boost to frame rate (running over minimun specs but not much), at least in the beta it did. But the setting's gone... where do i find the .ini?

erragal

Major releases like this remind me the average player of video games (Especially MMOs) has absolutely no prior knowledge about the game they are playing, can barely read, likes to be excessively angry at minor things and definitely does not know how to use google at all.

It's such a far cry from my theorycrafting nature when approaching a game like this and always makes me wish for a much better way to divide servers up. EDIT: Then again, I'd miss the amusement of watching people overreact.

Sent

Yeah, a bit smoother... but i really need to tweak .ini to reduce view distance if possible, that gives good boost to frame rate (running over minimun specs but not much), at least in the beta it did. But the setting's gone... where do i find the .ini?

I think they are under C:\Users\USER\AppData\Local\SWTOR\retailclient

I think it would crawl under Bootcamp. Just thinking about it makes me regret the idea! I've heard too many horror stories about The Witcher 2 in Bootcamp. I can't imagine what this game would be like.

I've heard no issues with people bootcamping on their MBPs

I think it would crawl under Bootcamp. Just thinking about it makes me regret the idea! I've heard too many horror stories about The Witcher 2 in Bootcamp. I can't imagine what this game would be like.

There is no reason that it should crawl under bootcamp if your Mac specs are similar to that of a PC that can run it well.

EA/Bioware are pushing hard the whole "the game is so elite we just had to limit the number of people that can play at once". Also, don't expect that people who pre-ordered earliest will get in first, that's not how it works with EA. Most likely it will be a small sample of all the pre-orders. I wouldn't be surprised if later pre-orders got priority - sucks for you to be a big fan.

Sent

EA/Bioware are pushing hard the whole "the game is so elite we just had to limit the number of people that can play at once". Also, don't expect that people who pre-ordered earliest will get in first, that's not how it works with EA. Most likely it will be a small sample of all the pre-orders. I wouldn't be surprised if later pre-orders got priority - sucks for you to be a big fan.

Did you just ignore the rest of this thread or what? Stop spouting off misinformation.

Moaradin

No...

bill0527

I made a video of important things to note going into SWTOR.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCQZyokC4b4

Nice one.

Had I watched it before my before my beta weekend it would have saved me a lot of time.

Especially the part about 'OPEN THE BAG YOUR ADVANCED CLASS TRAINER GIVES YOU'.

I went with a JK Sentinal and I spent about an hour running around looking for vendors to buy my 2nd lightsaber. Then I opened my inventory and saw I had a bag there with my 2nd lightsaber already in it.

Release date is 20th, 20-5 is 15, what is todays date? Anyone bitching before that date is simply not being rational.

mcfrank

Wow. It feels so much more polished than the beta was just a few weeks ago. No more texture glitches, getting about 20 more FPS. Very smooth and impressive so far.

Did you just ignore the rest of this thread or what? Stop spouting off misinformation.

Misinformation? I'm pretty sure EA covered their asses with enough fine print that you are guaranteed to play on the 20th, everything else is a bonus, up for EA to decide.

Release date is 20th, 20-5 is 15, what is todays date? Anyone bitching before that date is simply not being rational.

You could also say that everyone who pre-ordered expected to get early access. All I'm saying not to take it for granted.

Ketch

You're giving them waaaay too much credit dude. I've been following the game, played in the closed beta, and I didn't find out until after hearing about it here.. and even then not until much much later... like yesterday.

I'm not letting it get me down, but you shouldn't really defend them, because it's kind of shady.

Trickster

I preordered the digital deluxe version of the game, currently logged into the server and playing my character, but I'm wondering how I'm supposed to get the digital deluxe special items, they're not in the mailbox and they're not in my inventory.

Moaradin

Misinformation? I'm pretty sure EA covered their asses with enough fine print that you are guaranteed to play on the 20th, everything else is a bonus, up for EA to decide.

You could also say that everyone who pre-ordered expected to get early access. All I'm saying not to take it for granted.

The earlier you preorder, the earlier you get in early access. That has been the case the first day preorders became available, and its still the case now. Not sure why you are complaining.

I preordered the digital deluxe version of the game, currently logged into the server and playing my character, but I'm wondering how I'm supposed to get the digital deluxe special items, they're not in the mailbox and they're not in my inventory.

I don't think you get them until release.

markatisu

I am running it using Bootcamp running Windows 7 x64 on a Mac Mini 2011 with 4gb of RAM, runs super smooth with settings on high (turned shadows to low or off), fps is between 60-80

pachuco

There is no reason that it should crawl under bootcamp if your Mac specs are similar to that of a PC that can run it well.

I watched a youtube video of a guy running Witcher 2, which has similar specs to TOR. It was serviceable, but not great. Bootcamp is a memory hog. It's running two OSs in parallel. I'd rather run it natively or in a Wineskin.

I just wish Bioware would ask Blizzard how they get all their games to run on Windows and Mac.

Ah my roommate is being the king of douches, he keeps going on and on about how he got in despite how he only preordered a few weeks ago. Flipside, I had him reserve my toon's name on Kellar Void.

Yes this is the case. They weren't super clear on how it worked, only people who were really following the game knew this. We can't all play on the 13th since the servers would probably implode.

It does suck though not knowing.

That's the thing, it wouldn't. The servers are only going to hold so many toons before they're considered full. If they can't handle letting everyone play on the 13th, then they're not going to be able to handle everyone playing on launch day. Granted a staggered launch gives them time to sort out issues as they arise due to increased population

erragal

You are completely wrong. The vast majority of people getting in at this point are Day 1 or Day 2 preorders that I've seen. The few accounts of 'late' preorders getting in are more than likely 99% trolls and a few system glitches that are bound to pop up. There's really no proof to any of your claims.

The staggered launch is to control player flow into the game and ease the load on their login servers etc. I don't necessarily agree with how they're doing every part of it, but there's actual reasoning behind their actions. None behind yours though.

Top Bottom