• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

Man, not being able to level with friends really sucks. It almost makes me not want to play anymore.

At this point they have at least a 5-6 hours head start over me, and depending on how slow this continues, potentially 1-2 days head start. (If not more...)

All because I preordered from a retailer who sent the codes out late as opposed to from Origin, sigh.

Your friends really suck if they'll blow past you just to get a head start. I mean seriously, you play MMO's for like thousands of hours if you are in to it.

isny

napkin dispenser
Your friends really suck if they'll blow past you just to get a head start. I mean seriously, you play MMO's for like thousands of hours if you are in to it.

Thousands of hours at end game, sure, but by not getting ahead of everyone else while leveling that means I miss out on the amount of credits that can be made by having patterns, mats, etc. that everyone will need.

Also, the longer I have to wait, the more populated the servers get, and the longer it's going to take to level. When you start fresh with everyone at once, you can pull ahead of everyone and level in zones with no one around. Also, being ahead of everyone means you will make more credits, as per what I mentioned above.

So 4th wave the last for today?

This is what one would assume. They may change their mind though, so who knows.

Thousands of hours at end game, sure, but by not getting ahead of everyone else while leveling that means I miss out on the amount of credits that can be made by having patterns, mats, etc. that everyone will need.

Also, the longer I have to wait, the more populated the servers get, and the longer it's going to take to level. When you start fresh with everyone at once, you can pull ahead of everyone and level in zones with no one around. Also, being ahead of everyone means you will make more credits, as per what I mentioned above.

Sorry man, guess you need to pull some long hours. You'll still be getting in before tons of people if that is any consolation.

markatisu

Witcher 2 (from Steam)
Minimum:
Processor: Intel 2.2 GHz Dual-Core or AMD 2.5 GHz Dual-Core
Memory: 1.5 GB (Win XP), 2GB (Win Vista/Win 7)
Graphics: GeForce 8800 (512 MB) or Radeon HD3850 (512 MB)

Recommended:
Processor: Intel or AMD Quad-Core
Memory: 3 GB (Win XP), 4GB (Win Vista/Win 7)
Graphics: GeForce 260 (1 GB) or Radeon HD 4850 (1 GB)

SWTOR (from Origin)
Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 4000+ or better, Intel Core 2 Duo Processor 2.0GHz or better
Operating System: Windows XP / Vista / 7RAM, Windows XP: 1.5GB RAM, Windows Vista and Windows 7: 2GB RAM
Video Card: minimum of 256MB of on-board RAM as well as support for Shader 3.0 or better, ATI X1800 or better , nVidia 7800 or better, Intel 4100 Integrated Graphics or better

I don't know why I looked this all up because I don't know enough about computers to compare them. halp.

The specs prove why Witcher 2 is harder to run, SWTOR requires less of a graphics card presence. A majority of starter Mac's have only 256mb video cards which would strain under Witcher 2 while running ok to pretty darn good in SWTOR.

Emitan

The specs prove why Witcher 2 is harder to run, SWTOR requires less of a graphics card presence. A majority of starter Mac's have only 256mb video cards which would strain under Witcher 2 while running ok to pretty darn good in SWTOR.

My Mac runs The Witcher 2 at about 5 frames per second. I can run SWTOR at about 30. Huge difference.

erragal

"Work smarter, not harder" could not apply enough.

Money earning in an MMO has absolutely no bearing on how fast you get there, it's all about identifying market opportunities. Most of the best opportunities don't appear during the first couple weeks because people don't even know what to spend their money on. Sure you can sometimes get a few 'big sales' on certain randomly hot items but it's so random that you're not 'earning money' you're just getting lucky.

Starting earlier doesn't matter in a game with player caps on zones to prevent overpopulation. Zones won't ever be overpopulated, but you surely can run into situations where having too few people makes mob respawn times absurdly low. That's always good fun.

What REALLY helps you level efficiently is having a group of friends to do content with. If they're actually your friends they'll wait till you're in the game to level the characters you plan on grouping with (Well past ten at least, there's little reason to worry about grouping on the starter planets at all).

All in all every post you make here is filled with panic over things that are ultimately inconsequential. Just step back a moment and take a breath.

Is it 4:00pm yet? Damn it! Four and a half hours to go!

Looks like I'm the only one out of my buddies that got in today. Oh well. If they need me to lay off the leveling, I always have Skyrim I can fall back on. However, there's no way I'm not playing alllll night tonight. Come on clock! Go faster!

To anyone looking for someone to play with on a PvP server, I created a few Republic characters on "The Swiftsure" server. PM me if you want to play!

Milly79

So tempted to pre-order this... Would my Mac be "ok" for running this?

Late 08 Macbook
2gb ram
2.4 ghz dual
NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB

markatisu

So tempted to pre-order this... Would my Mac be "ok" for running this?

Late 08 Macbook
2gb ram
2.4 ghz dual
NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB

Depends on what OK is to you, it ran on my 2008 Macbook regular with the Intel GMA 3100 card but on all low settings and 800x600

Yours might be pushing it on the video card side, my brother uses a similar setup but he has the Nvidia 330M 256mb card and he gets medium for all his settings. So if you are thinking med-low is OK then go for it.

If you do I would highly recommend you increase your system RAM and then use Bootcamp to put on Windows 7 x64bit to utilize the full RAM

Milly79

Depends on what OK is to you, it ran on my 2008 Macbook regular with the Intel GMA 3100 card but on all low settings and 800x600

Yours might be pushing it on the video card side, my brother uses a similar setup but he has the Nvidia 330M 256mb card and he gets medium for all his settings. So if you are thinking med-low is OK then go for it.

If you do I would highly recommend you increase your system RAM and then use Bootcamp to put on Windows 7 x64bit to utilize the full RAM

I'm not really worried about it being good looking. I just want to play it (if I got it) with little to no hiccups. It ran WoW fine, but I think WoW requires a bit less.

LOL. Um...in the Trooper storyline (like the very first mission which is to report to Commander Tavus) for some reason during conversations Jorgan is like 2 inches tall. My character even makes eye contact with him by tilting his head down to the floor. WTF.

Emitan

Gonna be on later, hope I can do the first flash point with you guys UNLESS YOU'RE ALL ALREADY 50 WHEN I GET BACK!!

Ketch

So true. I'm cancelling my pre-order, gonna start waiting in line for Guild Wars 2 instead. Who's with me?!

JWong

Banned
Yeah, if I'm not getting my access at least by tomorrow, I'm going to cancel and take the $5 hit. Then get the game cheaper somewhere else.

Kambing

So i launched the game and i am able to play, which confuses me. I had previously register/ordered the game on origin but decided to cancel. It appears now that i have early access? Really weird because i have not been charged for the game.

Paches

So i launched the game and i am able to play, which confuses me. I had previously register/ordered the game on origin but decided to cancel. It appears now that i have early access? Really weird because i have not been charged for the game.

Turning you in to the FBI and CIA.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
So for those of you who have played it, how is it? How is it in comparison to WoW?

I got the email 7/25!!!

I hope its not just a generic email :p. I'm at work the rest of the day anyway.

Edit: Its legit, my code redemption screen just got updated to "Ready to Play"

Paches

SWTOR The Old Republic
Another batch of emails has gone out. Good news, this one was a bonus wave, we still have one more to go today!

Edit: And I didn't get in this wave, FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

erragal

So if I enjoyed a rogue in WoW and am on the Dark side in this, what class would be good to pick?

Depends on why you liked the rogue. Most obviously would be a concealment specced Operative (Imperial Agent base class); you have stealth, backstab, stealth opener (At high level), energy, even a semi-combo point system. Of course you won't have all the tricks you might be used to as a rogue as the base class is ranged (You have a lot of 10m range abilities as an Operative). The other tree in that advanced class is a healer so you have a bit more flexibility.

The Sith Assassin (Sith Inquisitor base class) can play like a rogue as well. Doesn't have the pseudo combo point mechanic that the Operative has and the theme is a bit different but you get the perma stealth.

If you didn't play a rogue for stealth and really just liked dual wielding combat you'll probably be better off as a Sith Marauder.

Dina

I really wished they would give out more information regarding waves. Having to guess from tweets what date we are on is such a backward manner of doing this. I have better things to do.

hgplayer1

I'm so disappointed in the lack of meltdowns today :(

How am I supposed to keep myself entertained here at work until I can get home and hunt some bounties?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Depends on why you liked the rogue. Most obviously would be a concealment specced Operative (Imperial Agent base class); you have stealth, backstab, stealth opener (At high level), energy, even a semi-combo point system. Of course you won't have all the tricks you might be used to as a rogue as the base class is ranged (You have a lot of 10m range abilities as an Operative). The other tree in that advanced class is a healer so you have a bit more flexibility.

The Sith Assassin (Sith Inquisitor base class) can play like a rogue as well. Doesn't have the pseudo combo point mechanic that the Operative has and the theme is a bit different but you get the perma stealth.

If you didn't play a rogue for stealth and really just liked dual wielding combat you'll probably be better off as a Sith Marauder.

Interesting. Does the Sith Assassin have any backstab, etc. abilities? Truth be told rogue happened to be the first class I ever played in WoW, and I loved stealth for questing and getting past mobs. I enjoyed the combo system/eviscerate too though.

I really wished they would give out more information regarding waves. Having to guess from tweets what date we are on is such a backward manner of doing this. I have better things to do.

How is it backwards to send you an email when you can start playing? If you don't get the email you can't play yet (sans a system glitch). Its simple. You can also check your account page on SWTOR.com.

Top Bottom