• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

Dakota47

Right, I am finally gonna light this candle. I'm really going to savor the moment. There is nothing like entering an MMO world for the first time.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Ask us in four weeks time. Launch day isn't exactly the right day to draw any conclusions yet.
I want conclusions from the beta... not launch day low level characters or in 4 weeks after unknown updates.

Pretty sure I saw videos with high level characters.

erragal

DPS slots are going to need to be filled, and it's impossible to guess the state of the endgame this early especially considering that they can be patched. Playstyle will always trump viability unless you're a minmax nerd.

If I ever play this game, though, I'll look forward to all the whining about how a 'pure' dps class should outdamage the 'hybrids'.

Marauders have the Bloodthirst buff (Think weaker bloodlust), which is why you bring them to raids. Sinceit doesn't have a 'exhausted' type debuff you might see marauders the only class that's actually stacked.

EDIT: And marauders can't be a 'sunder bot' because they don't get sundering assault at all.

markatisu

Yeah, well, they probably aren't sitting 10+ feet away from a 60+ inch screen. It's just the font on some stuff (like the smaller font on tool tips) that I'd like to be a bit bigger.

That is probably me #1 request, the text is just too damn small since I am using my HTPC in the living room on a 46" HDTV

I don't need it much larger just a tad bigger

hgplayer1

I want conclusions from the beta... not launch day low level characters or in 4 weeks after unknown updates.

Some of the vids I saw with high level characters did not have much to go off of. Not everyone was max level and the player talked about how big a difference some mod was making to his build but I dont remember specifics. He was pretty powerful but not indestructible.

erragal

Snipers and Assassins were really popular for their burst damage. It's impossible to determine any sort of balance before there's been at least a bit of meta gaming.

In fact the worst trap most MMO devs get into is basing early changes on immediate player feedback instead of giving the community time to adapt strategies and see if a particular class/build is actually overpowered or just a hard counter for bad players.

This is crap.

Firstly what is this wave thing for, i mean surely you have the servers to support the amount of CD keys in the market and you have tested those servers with the beta's if not then they really should of its bad form to say the least.

Secondly this should have been made MUCH more public, i expected to get in on the 13th like MANY others and by the looks of things despite spending £130 on this game it looks like i wont get in till very late possibly release date which means ill be missing out on things like grabbing good names and easier leveling ect.

erragal

Marauders look to be in extremely short supply.

That's unfortunate. Annihilation tree playstyle looks awesome; there's a lot to keep track of and very strict timers you want to maintain. They also get the fury mechanic which adds a lot of complexity and crazy tight rage management.

If i didn't absolutely LOVE the theme of my rage-build juggernaut, marauder would be my first alt without a doubt.

FINALBOSS

Banned
This is crap.

Firstly what is this wave thing for, i mean surely you have the servers to support the amount of CD keys in the market and you have tested those servers with the beta's if not then they really should of its bad form to say the least.

Secondly this should have been made MUCH more public, i expected to get in on the 13th like MANY others and by the looks of things despite spending £130 on this game it looks like i wont get in till very late possibly release date which means ill be missing out on things like grabbing good names and easier leveling ect.

This is the way I'm looking at it--they are STILL advertising pre-orders with early access where you MAY get up to 5 days of early game time. That means, while not guaranteed, some will get 5 days early game time if they pre-order TODAY. If not, they'd be lying.

Moaradin

This is crap.

Early Access is not the official launch of the game, and it was always intended to be done this way. Not to sound harsh, but I think you should have researched the pre-order benefits if you were expecting to get in before the game officially launched.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
How big is the download if you already have the beta installed from that stress test weekend they had in late November?

Paches

This is crap.

This is a black eye for Bioware. They will rue the day they did this in waves.

DPS slots are going to need to be filled, and it's impossible to guess the state of the endgame this early especially considering that they can be patched. Playstyle will always trump viability unless you're a minmax nerd.

If I ever play this game, though, I'll look forward to all the whining about how a 'pure' dps class should outdamage the 'hybrids'.

DPS slots are the least of worries for SWTOR trust.

theDeeDubs

This is crap.

I'd say cut them a little slack. They have already extended this by two days to try and smoothly get in as many as they can by the 15th. I'm saying this as someone who didn't preorder until November 25. This will mean F-all in a week's time from now.

erragal

This is a black eye for Bioware. They will rue the day they did this in waves.

No they won't. It will have no impact on this game at all. The -response- today is going to seem really awful but truth is anonymous humans love to exaggerate how 'put out' they are by things in the hopes that they'll get what they want. Reality is far less irrational and the wave nature of this has been known for quite awhile now.

When someone pre-ordered it said very clearly 'Up to 5 days' early access. If you cared about the 'up to' part then you could have done the research to find out about the details. Right now people are actually getting 'up to 7 days' early access. There's really nothing in particular to be upset about other than selfish demands and jealousy that 'OMG THOSE PEOPLE CAN PLAY AND I CAN NOT, RGAE RAGE RGAE'.

edit: Apparently I responded to sarcasm? Good show Paches-EJ!

Side note: Why don't we have a 'early access bitching' thread. We could have had a good discussion about specs that gets completely sliced through with whining.

Lombax

Banned
Help me neogaf you are my only hope.

Should I go:

Trooper - Vanguard
Or
Jedi Consular - Sage or Shadow

All I want to do is tank and if I go Jedi have a double bladed lightsaber. Of the two what would make the best tanking class.

Sent

Should I go:

Trooper - Vanguard
Or

All I want to do is tank and if I go Jedi have a double bladed lightsaber. Of the two what would make the best tanking class.

Both can tank sooooooooooooooooooooooo flip a coin? I know Vanguard will be less played than Consular (to start)

Should I go:

Trooper - Vanguard
Or

Shadow you can tank and have a double bladed lightsaber.

This is crap.

It was very public. When you went to order the product, it states as such that early access was going to be done like this. When you go to their site it says so as well. It says so on preorder marketing. It notes it as such also when you get your codes sent to you, they have stated it in multiple places that it was going to be this way as well for months now. The emails being sent to people about the beta and early access stated it also. It's been talked about to death. Also they had originally announced only 5 days of early access, which they extended the period by 2 more days, so people are likely going to have a chance at even more early access time. It was talked about to death during beta and all the discussions leading up to it.

Wallach

Should I go:

Trooper - Vanguard
Or

Mitigation-wise, they're very similar in the mean, with the Consular making up more from their avoidance than their absorption. I think you can safely pick whatever appeals more, the tanks show more iteration on the back end than any of the other roles.

J-Rzez

It's hard to gauge to be honest. Since in beta I was leveled into the 20's, I faced lvl 50's in PVP. Now, while they median stats for everyone, that doesn't stop the higher levels from having more abilities and upgrades, so if you met someone with equal skill, you'll be slaughtered.

From playing though with those that were around my level of different classes, it was very-very unbalanced. But this is "low-level pvp" so it's hard to gauge as it's prevalent in every MMO to be unbalanced around then.

LowParry

Hope everyone's having a good time. Can anyone direct me on how to force AA with RadeonPro? Can't seem to figure out how to make it work past the launcher. ATI 5800 card for reference. :D

Vlodril

They should let more people in. I am at the fleet and i want to do the esseles flashpoint but there are only 2 other people here and they don't..

Jira

I read on the swtor forums that people who preordered in Sept were getting in before others who preordered on day 1. Then a shitstorm hit and the forums are down and none of this surprises me in the least since EA is involved.

Top Bottom