• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

TheExodu5

Banned
You have got to be kidding me...

Level 4 Bountiful Slicing Mission
Cost - 1250cr
Time Spent - 19 minutes
Reward (Green Credit Box) - 1050cr

Heysoos

Nice..
NJfPKl.jpg

CoilShot

I called bioware for some reason I havent been able to login on the website or the game since the servers came up. I have been on hold for almost 20 mins :(

I don't get why everyone's so down on the graphics. I'm looking forward to playing SW:ToR when my PC components get delivered at the end of the weak, and I'm pretty pumped!

I mean this just looks awesome: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLCAz-Q1tNA

Not sure if serious? This is a cut scene not in game footage.

Edit: That being said, I don't have any issues with the in game graphics. But I'm not a graphics whore like some others.

pahamrick

That risk was only if you got a white credit box before. Now even a green box can result in a loss.

Here's one for you, sent all my characters out on slicing missions before I went to sleep last night.

Class 5 Rich Yield
Cost - 2375 Credits (Going by the other 2 Rich Yield missions I have in the list)
Time Spent - 28 minutes
Reward - Green Credit box, 1645 credits.

On the flip side, my other companion that was on a Class 5 Rich Yield came back with a blue credit box, and 6.8k credits.

Izayoi

Banned
I have lost money on all of the eight slicing missions that I have run so far.

So basically Slicing is totally worthless now.

:lol

Won

Thank the force I didn't pick up slicing again.

I also was dumb enough to jump into a Warzone anyway and 4 level 50 jumped at my throat right away. So fun!

LowParry

I have lost money on all of the eight slicing missions that I have run so far.

So basically Slicing is totally worthless now.

:lol

I'd say more risky. It's a gamble. I've seen plenty of people getting blue boxes and triple the amount back earned just now in my guild.

erragal

Classic panic nerf.

Definitely a panic nerf but the whole concept of earning money while you're logged off is completely unbalanced for a game that lets you have alts. It's balanced fine in moderation but MMO's always have problems testing the extremes of player behavior for some reason.

Slicing is not worthless, however. It's just not free money.

LowParry

Thank the force I didn't pick up slicing again.

I also was dumb enough to jump into a Warzone anyway and 4 level 50 jumped at my throat right away. So fun!

We got a guild like on my server. Their ball carrier for Huttball is...eh......let's just say he's a bitch to kill. So we generally aim for the healer but by the time we can get that even done, they're already in for the score. Wish I could say the same with Republic games. Terrible players. Even the 50s we've ran into just don't know what to do or whatever. Either way, good times ahead :D

Soroc

I fully expect this slicing nerf to effect the rest of the economy. I was making some killer money on Underworld Metals, I fully expect the prices on AH to be halved within a week if this nerf is as bad as some people are reporting.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Funny how we have completely ignored all of the nice augments one gets from Slicing in the lockbox fever.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Funny how we have completely ignored all of the nice augments one gets from Slicing in the lockbox fever.

That's because Augments are pretty much worthless for the majority of the game. When it comes to gear, folks generally want Orange or GTFO. Since augments generally only come on the occasional green/blue/purp crafted item, the opportunities to use them are restricted only to items that can't be orange, like earpieces and non-weapon offhands.

I was immediately concerned slicing would be overnerfed into uselessness, not psyched that I was correct.

That's because Augments are pretty much worthless for the majority of the game. When it comes to gear, folks generally want Orange or GTFO. Since augments generally only come on the occasional green/blue/purp crafted item, the opportunities to use them are restricted only to items that can't be orange, like earpieces and non-weapon offhands.

I was immediately concerned slicing would be overnerfed into uselessness, not psyched that I was correct.

Augments will be required for min/max players.

Trouble

Banned
I fully expect this slicing nerf to effect the rest of the economy. I was making some killer money on Underworld Metals, I fully expect the prices on AH to be halved within a week if this nerf is as bad as some people are reporting.

Good. I hope that is the case. This game was already seeing mudflation and it would only have gotten worse.

eJawa

would probably like a hook in his jaw for that matter
Are people forgetting about about harvesting credits in the game world with Slicing or was that nerfed too? I would net a decent amount from just walking around the world. That's how I made most use of the skill early on, before I got an extra companion to send out on missions.

erragal

It's going to have a huge effect on the overall economy. Non-slicing players are likely the ones to be hit the worst by this as no one's going to be able to afford anything. Slicing produced the money that paid for the gathering of those materials. My fix would have been to make slicing one character per account, but that's too much of a metagame/immersion breaking fix for bioware.

Enough people don't understand how gearing is going to work yet. It's not like wow where even the casual and terrible players know a ton of theorycrafting basics. That stuff will come out but augments are still going to be underpriced for awhile till people realize you only need one set of them.

I'd say more risky. It's a gamble. I've seen plenty of people getting blue boxes and triple the amount back earned just now in my guild.

You also get blue/purple missions, augments, etc out of it but it's going to become real unpopular if its no longer instant free credits.

Are people forgetting about about harvesting credits in the game world with Slicing or was that nerfed too? I would net a decent amount from just walking around the world. That's how I made most use of the skill early on, before I got an extra companion to send out on missions.

Well of course but you weren't able to basically do nothing but send companions out like before which is going to piss ppl off (already is). Just slicing crappy lockboxes doing questing yesterday for a bit got me several thousand free credits out of them.

Slicing is also helpful in various flashpoints to open shortcuts and other tasks

Lombax

Banned
ok seriously what the hell is going on with the server lag. I am on Canderous Ordo and for no reason at all I am getting 27k ms pings down from full "bars" at random. The game is damn near unplayable.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Class 6 Green Lockbox = 2667 credits

Usually these are 4k-5k...
Just did a rich yield class 5 lockbox. Got 4k credits. This is with my droid who has 0 affection, slicing at 380. Cost was around 1k (or maybe 2k? can't remember), took about 30 min.

Doesn't seem so bad!

erragal

Is there any other way to get missions? I would think those would become a huge money maker.

They're too common to be a huge money maker overall, at least the blue ones. They're also on such a long cooldown that it's probably not worth the investment if you're crafting, you'd be better off cycling through the basic missions. The max level ones will likely sell for a decent amount as those resources will be in constant use.

Patryn

Guess it's time to bail out of slicing?

If I'm going Armstech, and I already have salvaging, should I pick up Underworld Trading now?

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I'm lucky I guess, I have Diplomacy on my Slicing character, so I may as well just swap over to biochem.

Is there any other way to get missions? I would think those would become a huge money maker.

I've only found them when using slicing so no idea. Not sure on resale value as I've been giving them away to guildies, but you can usually sell them to a vendor and make a decent amount of creds on them too even that way.

Guys, I'm having problems with the launcher.

It doesnt appear when I click on it and if I click twice it shows me a message that is already running. I kill the task but the problem persists.

Anoregon

Around what level do you get your 2nd companion?

As others have mentioned, in the 20's. Companions (almost) always come at the end of class quests on a particular planet, and the 2nd companion can come from the end of Balmorra (20ish), Nar Shadda (24ish), or Tattooine (27ish), depending on your class.

Patryn

As others have mentioned, in the 20's. Companions (almost) always come at the end of class quests on a particular planet, and the 2nd companion can come from the end of Balmorra (20ish), Nar Shadda (24ish), or Tattooine (27ish), depending on your class.

Trooper's second companion comes when you get your ship (end of Coruscant), so like 18-20. He's nearly useless in a fight, though.

The third companion, the second that is useful in a fight comes at the end of Taris (like 22-24ish).

Plissken

Totally unscientific results here, but yeah, slicing's not so hot anymore. Guess I better start working on my Scavenging and Armstech and hope they can make me money.

17-24 For Better Or Worse (Rich)
Cost - 535
Time - 6m
Result - Standard Medium Credit Case (green) 470 credits

25-32 The Automated Saboteur (Rich)
Cost - 870
Time - 12m
Result - Reinforced Medium Credit Case (green) 920 Credits

33-40 Pointing Fingers (Bountiful)
Cost - 1250
Time - 19m
Result - Gilded Medium Credit Box (green) 1183 Credits