• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

Varna

I was just trying to figure out what made sense as my first crew skills and found this. Handy!

aZdbv.jpg

As a jedi shadow i think i might do ... hmm...

I don't know.

All this stuff mentioned in the in-game codexs. I picked the lightsaber crafting and related skills... not working out so well. Low on funds. :(

cackhyena

So this is an MMO ass MMO, but damn if the voice acting and story elements don't keep you hooked. None of you knew that before I said it.

I was just trying to figure out what made sense as my first crew skills and found this. Handy!
*snip*

I don't know.

Artifice and Archeology are handy for gathering mats for light saber mods and making light saber mods. As a Jedi Shadow those are skills I chose, I've got one more crew skill slot that I'm not sure what I should populate it with.

Woorloog

Banned
All this stuff mentioned in the in-game codexs. I picked the lightsaber crafting and related skills... not working out so well. Low on funds. :(

While leveling, just gather mats, don't send companions to do missions at all (don't bother buying recipes either...), it just drains your money but doesn't provide enough to replace the lost money and doesn't raise the skill fast enough to keep selfmade items competitive with quest rewards and commendation-bought ones. 40 levels worth mats should give good start when you start training the skill at 50...

LiK

Props to my Guild buddies on a fun daily mission. The first time I ever partied up in a MMO and it was enjoyable. -Lacey

mackaveli

While leveling, just gather mats, don't send companions to do missions at all (don't bother buying recipes either...), it just drains your money but doesn't provide enough to replace the lost money and doesn't raise the skill fast enough to keep selfmade items competitive with quest rewards and commendation-bought ones. 40 levels worth mats should give good start when you start training the skill at 50...

what are mats??

You need alters, for this.

My main has slicing, cybertech and underground. I realised that I need materials for cybertect, and that enhancements are in artifice...

So I made a alter with scavenging (to have materials for cybertech), artifice for the enhancements, and treasure hunter.

Now I realise that I'll need crystals for the artifice, so I'll change the scavenging for archeology, make another alter with scavenging, and go for armstech and investigation.

So:

Smuggler with: Slicing (money for all) - cybertech - underground
Jedi Knight with: Archeology - artifice - treasure hunter
Bounty Hunter with: Scavenging - armstech - investigation

The reason of slicing is because being the main character, i can send the others companions to do missions meanwhile I play, to reach 400 of slicing (and better rewars) before leveling any character up to 50.

neoemonk

This is probably going to sound weird, but I really like Bounty Hunter because I don't feel bad going after light side points. The few people I play with all wanted to be Empire. I was the only Republic vote.

So now I have my bounty hunter with a heart of gold.

Juice

Should I do slicing or just the other three materials (mats) ones?

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Are more gaffers on the good side or bad?
I'm not playing on the same server as GAF but in general the Empire seems to be a far more popular choice. Haven't played enough to say anything definitively, but it seems like most of the Empire stuff is just executed much better than the Republic stuff. Jedi just seem particularly dull to hang out with when conceptually they are trying to distance themselves from all emotion.

RetroMG

For those doing iPod security, if you wipe the iPod or otherwise lose the data, can you recover it from the cloud? I'm thinking about using my ipod, but if I have to wipe it, I'd hate to have to call Bioware.

I might just wait for a keychain key.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
WoW has invented a huge amount of the current tropes, wow of 2005 was more similar to previous games than it is now, tor is similar to wow of 2010, not wow of 2005.

Where to start.... How are they similar.

[snip]

Get over it, it's the same game. You don't like wow anymore people, we get it. That doesn't mean you need to be personally offended by having it pointed out that your new girlfriend is just your old girlfriend with a wig on.

Now list all the things that are unique to SWTOR vs WoW. I bet your list will be just as long.

Sure they may be small things, but isn't that the point?

I'll get you started:

Personal story
Dialogue trees
Fully voiced everything
Companion characters
Crafting/gathering system which can be done by your companions while you quest
Modding orange armor giving huge flexibility
etc etc etc

There are difference and similarities but they're not the same game with a new skin.

Zafir

I'm not playing on the same server as GAF but in general the Empire seems to be a far more popular choice. Haven't played enough to say anything definitively, but it seems like most of the Empire stuff is just executed much better than the Republic stuff. Jedi just seem particularly dull to hang out with when conceptually they are trying to distance themselves from all emotion.
I think Empire can be just as dull though. Evil for the sake of being evil. I'd personally go off and start my own faction if I lived in the Star Wars Universe.

Giolon

aZdbv.jpg

I don't know.

This is a good chart, but it's a bit incomplete. Diplomacy also yields Luxury Fabrics for Synthweaving, and Underworld Trading produces Schematics for moddable versions of Armormech and Synthweaving patterns.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
So im loving the game but my computer isnt up to speed. i was wondering if anyone had any experience with a setup similar to mine but with a better video card as its the only thing i can upgrade soonish.

CPU: Core2Duo E6320 1.8GHz :(
Mem: 4GB
GPU: nvidia GT 240 :( :(

i can spend about $100 in a couple weeks so prospective video cards would be like GT 450 or whatever.

Thanks.

Zafir

Wait, when did Slicing get nerfed? Details?

;_;
The amount of money you get from the credit boxes has been reduced by around 50%. Happened a couple of days back.

You can still make profit, and you can still find quite a lot of schematics which could potentially sell well though. So it isn't as completely useless as people make it out to be.

after the recent major patch. people told me you don't get as much money from it or something.

Boo. Just checked the patch notes - in the 1.0.1 patch. Took them two weeks to fix it. Bah, now the people who got it on launch or had early access will have a (relatively minor, in the long run at least) advantage.

Oh well.

I guess I'll have to think more about what skills I want now that slicing isn't a given. Though it'll be awhile, since I still don't know what class I'll be playing.

Branson

Having a problem with resolutions I think. The UI is fine and looks like its 1280x768 but the graphics on everything are stretched. The characters are fat. Anybody else have this problem?

Anno

Slicing just seems weird on a conceptual level. I know it gives stuff other than credits, but that doesn't seem to be its main draw. And anything that's geared almost entirely towards just gathering the raw form of money seems destined to never be balanced.

Wallach

This is a good chart, but it's a bit incomplete. Diplomacy also yields Luxury Fabrics for Synthweaving, and Underworld Trading produces Schematics for moddable versions of Armormech and Synthweaving patterns.

Diplomacy now gives Medical Supplies and Companion Gifts, but not Luxury Fabrics. I think the fabrics were moved to Underworld and the schematics were moved from that to something else (maybe Slicing).

Derrick01

Banned
Just did my first flashpoint and it was a clusterfuck. No coordination, no waiting at all, no healing or CC. I guess that's what I get for going to a recommended 2 person FP with 4. I didn't even have time to stealth most of the time, the leader was already leaping at the next group lol

It was still fun though and the story was decent enough.

LiK

Diplomacy now gives Medical Supplies and Companion Gifts, but not Luxury Fabrics. I think the fabrics were moved to Underworld and the schematics were moved from that to something else (maybe Slicing).

I see schematics in Investigation.

Slicing is a gamble but you'll still make SOME money....people still don't understand

You send a companion to a mission for 400

He comes back with 500 or 585 or sometimes fails(gamble)

Thats +credits, how is that not a profit? Prepatch it would be something like.. send a comp for 400.. he'll come back with 900.

TheYanger

Now list all the things that are unique to SWTOR vs WoW. I bet your list will be just as long.

Sure they may be small things, but isn't that the point?

I'll get you started:

Personal story
Dialogue trees
Fully voiced everything
Companion characters
Crafting/gathering system which can be done by your companions while you quest
Modding orange armor giving huge flexibility
etc etc etc

There are difference and similarities but they're not the same game with a new skin.

Ok, your first 4 points are basically the exact same thing. "The quest system has cutscenes" sorry, but it is. Companion characters, aside from crafting which I forgot to mention and IS kind of cool, are just story devices. You will never use one when you do an instance, pvp, or raid, they're just there for questing. "Modding orange armor" is nothing. Mods are just any socketable item from any game ever. Yeah, you can keep a piece of gear that looks cool, except A) at the end game, all the gear is purple, which means you can't just mod it up like that, and B) you can look like whatever you want in wow as well (and many other games). It's not innovative or flexible, it's less flexible than most mmos have today in fact, including wow.

TheYanger

Slicing is a gamble but you'll still make SOME money....people still don't understand

You send a companion to a mission for 400

He comes back with 500 or 585 or sometimes fails(gamble)

Thats +credits, how is that not a profit? Prepatch it would be something like.. send a comp for 400.. he'll come back with 900.

Slicing is garbage. EVERY tradeskill in every game is a profit industry of some sort, slicing literally does nothing but bring back credits. Usually at a loss or an INCREDIBLY small margin after the nerf. Pre-nerf margins were perfectly fine for level 50s, it was only being 400 slicing at level 20 that was broken. I can make 500 credits for killing a group of weak mobs with a mortar volley. 26,000 credits an hour was hardly that op (which was the max average Credit/hour return pre-nerf), it would have stabilized once people needed mats from other skills, c'est la vie.

Giolon

Oh right, on the Luxury Fabrics, but not entirely on the schematics. Schematics for Blue/Purple gear come from Investigation - and loot, but moddable schematics for Armormech and Synthweaving only come from Underworld Trading - there was a dev post about it (the one about "Unify Colors to Chest" being gone).

Branson

Having a problem with resolutions I think. The UI is fine and looks like its 1280x768 but the graphics on everything are stretched. The characters are fat. Anybody else have this problem?

A little update on this, it seems the 3d is not scaling properly while the 2d ui is. Damn. Going to see if rolling back drivers help at all. This is a big problem for some people. Big thread on the swtor forums.

Giolon

Slicing is garbage. EVERY tradeskill in every game is a profit industry of some sort, slicing literally does nothing but bring back credits. Usually at a loss or an INCREDIBLY small margin after the nerf. Pre-nerf margins were perfectly fine for level 50s, it was only being 400 slicing at level 20 that was broken. I can make 500 credits for killing a group of weak mobs with a mortar volley. 26,000 credits an hour was hardly that op (which was the max average Credit/hour return pre-nerf), it would have stabilized once people needed mats from other skills, c'est la vie.

You're being a bit overdramatic here. Slicing has lockboxes that produce straight up cash are still peppered all over the world - the ONLY tradeskill that has this advantage. They are purely free money. Drive around and open boxes. Not to mention the other benefits like Augments, Cybertech schematics, and mission discoveries - all things that you can sell on the GTN. Slicing is still one of only TWO tradeskills that nets a positive result on its own (the other being Treasure Hunting, and that doesn't even get the world money boxes that slicing does).

Even if you say "ok other tradeskills can sell their wares for more money than slicing earned!" (try selling Luxury Fabrics, you can't give that shit away) - the difference is Slicing is generating new money into the system, whereas products sold to other players keep the amount of money the same (or slightly reduce it in the case of the GTN). The other generators of money are killing mobs and completing quests. Why should Slicers be entitled to a significant 3rd source of new money generation? Without appropriate sinks, that drives inflation. Whether the game had enough sinks or not is arguable and I'm not interested in debating that.

In short, if you don't want Slicing, don't take Slicing. The way it is now is fine. The way it was before might have been fine, but Bioware clearly disagreed. Slicing is still one of few tradeskills you can take and not be throwing your money down a pit in the hopes that one day you'll produce something of value that people will want to buy. Synthweaving, for example, is not really panning out :p

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Any fellow Concealment Operatives know what stats I should be aiming for? I would think Tech Power for my poisons, but idk

Because:
L7xtLl.png

Wisdom
Sounds like some fanfic character to me. 'Hey guys, I got the sweet Sith robes, but I'm teh good guy. I get all the benefits and none of the badness!' Also playing a 'good' character in a video game is real refreshing, I'm sure.

SupaNaab

I really would like to pick up Armormech but it feels so lacking for end-game. Are BioChem and Cybertech the only crew skills with exclusive features? I'm not really sure how to word this but I mean to say that when you are min/maxing it is only these crew skills that provide truly otherwise unobtainable and insurpassable features correct?

Cybertech grants the use of 4 grenades usable in PvE and PvP (5 min CD)
BioChem grants an infinite use medpack (90s CD I think) and stimpacks (i.e. Flasks)

All other crew skills only provide utility such as gaining Companion Affection, gaining Light/Dark points. Skills like Armormech seem like weak choices at level 50 as similar gear is more easily obtainable. The ability to CRIT and add an augment slot is the only redeeming factor that in all likelihood would be nullified by more endgame content. WoW kept all crafting skills viable by adding exclusive features such as allowing only blacksmiths to add additional sockets to their own gear or enchanter only enchants. SWTOR seems to lack this.

Sigfodr

Any fellow Concealment Operatives know what stats I should be aiming for? I would think Tech Power for my poisons, but idk

Sounds like some fanfic character to me. 'Hey guys, I got the sweet Sith robes, but I'm teh good guy. I get all the benefits and none of the badness!' Also playing a 'good' character in a video game is real refreshing, I'm sure.

Actually, I've played the prologue for a few classes and a little bit of a few others and Lightside Agent was my favorite. It seemed the best quality story. I still love Smuggler story for it's action/comedy style story; it reminds me of Pirate of the Caribbean, for some reason. But Lightside Agent - someone doing what they think is best for the Empire they believe in and they aren't completely "bad bad bad" - is an awesome story.

TheYanger

You're being a bit overdramatic here. Slicing has lockboxes that produce straight up cash are still peppered all over the world - the ONLY tradeskill that has this advantage. They are purely free money. Drive around and open boxes. Not to mention the other benefits like Augments, Cybertech schematics, and mission discoveries - all things that you can sell on the GTN. Slicing is still one of only TWO tradeskills that nets a positive result on its own (the other being Treasure Hunting, and that doesn't even get the world money boxes that slicing does).

Even if you say "ok other tradeskills can sell their wares for more money than slicing earned!" (try selling Luxury Fabrics, you can't give that shit away) - the difference is Slicing is generating new money into the system, whereas products sold to other players keep the amount of money the same (or slightly reduce it in the case of the GTN). The other generators of money are killing mobs and completing quests. Why should Slicers be entitled to a significant 3rd source of new money generation? Without appropriate sinks, that drives inflation. Whether the game had enough sinks or not is arguable and I'm not interested in debating that.

In short, if you don't want Slicing, don't take Slicing. The way it is now is fine. The way it was before might have been fine, but Bioware clearly disagreed. Slicing is still one of few tradeskills you can take and not be throwing your money down a pit in the hopes that one day you'll produce something of value that people will want to buy. Synthweaving, for example, is not really panning out :p

I HAD slicing, I had it since day 1, you get an AMAZING like 1k at best from the best lockboxes located on the floor. That's nowhere near as good as getting mats hand over fist with bio or archaeology or something along those lines. Especially since the actual missions...do nothing? Seriously, does anyone truly think the profit margins on the other skills are as low as slicing is now? that's delusional at best.

It is LITERALLY a tradeskill that exists solely to make credits. This was a stupid idea for them to implement in the first place, but when it sucks even at doing that...what's its purpose? Nerf was kneejerk and it will end up being buffed again someday.

Nope. Completely wrong. They make playing the game completely fun for healers and tanks.

I AM a tank. I am a tank in wow. It doesn't change anything. The only 'game changer' is taht there isn't dual spec, so you need a companion if you actually want to be a healer or tank while levelling (especially since respec costs inflate dramatically). They are plot devices that craft for you, once you hit 50 you will never see them again unless you feel like amusing yourself doing solo quest content or undermanning a flashpoint.

darksunpr

For those doing iPod security, if you wipe the iPod or otherwise lose the data, can you recover it from the cloud? I'm thinking about using my ipod, but if I have to wipe it, I'd hate to have to call Bioware.

I might just wait for a keychain key.
This. I have an android phone and have the same question.

vaelic

Banned
now we know why there are queues. found on PTR 1.02 patch notes

""Being in Do Not Disturb mode no longer prevents characters from being logged out for being away""

Giolon

I HAD slicing, I had it since day 1, you get an AMAZING like 1k at best from the best lockboxes located on the floor. That's nowhere near as good as getting mats hand over fist with bio or archaeology or something along those lines. Especially since the actual missions...do nothing? Seriously, does anyone truly think the profit margins on the other skills are as low as slicing is now? that's delusional at best.

Augments, Mission Discoveries, and Cybertech Schematics aren't nothing. While the world lockboxes may only hold 1k, nobody else has access to them. That 1k adds up over time.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Ok, your first 4 points are basically the exact same thing. "The quest system has cutscenes" sorry, but it is. Companion characters, aside from crafting which I forgot to mention and IS kind of cool, are just story devices. You will never use one when you do an instance, pvp, or raid, they're just there for questing. "Modding orange armor" is nothing. Mods are just any socketable item from any game ever. Yeah, you can keep a piece of gear that looks cool, except A) at the end game, all the gear is purple, which means you can't just mod it up like that, and B) you can look like whatever you want in wow as well (and many other games). It's not innovative or flexible, it's less flexible than most mmos have today in fact, including wow.

They're not the same thing:

Personal story - a unique over-arching plot for each of the 8 classes
Dialogue trees - outcomes of events change depending on what you respond which is different than a cut scene where nothing you do matters
Fully voiced everything - yes, that's related but it could have existed without the dialogue tree and they could have done the dialogue without the voice acting. The acting is a huge part of the game.
Companion characters - this incorporates a lot of things, you can have them fight with you, you can also control them, you can equip them how you like, you can have them craft, they have their own stories and personalities, keeping them happy is also key to how well they work for you etc

You can change the appearance of one item to another in WoW but you can't do it the same way you do in TOR. I personally haven't played another MMO that lets you mod a piece of armour with any different combination of stat modifiers in the same way that TOR lets you. I'm not sure what you meant by end gear being purple, you can have purple modifiers in armour. Anyway, if similar systems exist in other games it doesn't change the point that it's not in WoW. You said it was a carbon copy of that game.

Anyway, clearly you see what you want to see, others see it differently.

Top Bottom