• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

JWong

Banned
I AM a tank. I am a tank in wow. It doesn't change anything. The only 'game changer' is taht there isn't dual spec, so you need a companion if you actually want to be a healer or tank while levelling (especially since respec costs inflate dramatically). They are plot devices that craft for you, once you hit 50 you will never see them again unless you feel like amusing yourself doing solo quest content or undermanning a flashpoint.

I played both tank and healer and the companion made everything better.

I actually have to tank with a dps companion to keep mobs off them.
I actually have to play as a healer on my tank/dps companions to beat tough fights.

It matters. Have you leveled 1-60 in Vanilla WoW? Completely unviable if you want to get things done efficiently. Companions are a game changer.

Alex

Empire in my experience (and tastes) has better aesthetics, much better voice work, more nuanced characters and was just overall more interesting. It's not all drowning kittens and you can paint better shades of grey even while picking light/dark whereas the majority of the Jedi stuff I played was in fact as boring as watching paint dry

I'm sure there's folks who are gluttons for the straight up Jedi heroism and get wet when someone tells them "May the force be with you" but I'm not normally a fan of the franchise and it's the empires more interesting outlook on a lot of it thats keeping me engaged in the story.

Varna

While leveling, just gather mats, don't send companions to do missions at all (don't bother buying recipes either...), it just drains your money but doesn't provide enough to replace the lost money and doesn't raise the skill fast enough to keep selfmade items competitive with quest rewards and commendation-bought ones. 40 levels worth mats should give good start when you start training the skill at 50...

Damn... That's what I've been doing. Treasure hunting to find gems and locked boxes (I got some pretty decent equipment out of em).

What do I do with all these materials though? I need schematics to build anything... I don't see many up for sale either.

TheYanger

They're not the same thing:

Personal story - a unique over-arching plot for each of the 8 classes
Dialogue trees - outcomes of events change depending on what you respond which is different than a cut scene where nothing you do matters
Fully voiced everything - yes, that's related but it could have existed without the dialogue tree and they could have done the dialogue without the voice acting. The acting is a huge part of the game.
Companion characters - this incorporates a lot of things, you can have them fight with you, you can also control them, you can equip them how you like, you can have them craft, they have their own stories and personalities, keeping them happy is also key to how well they work for you etc

You can change the appearance of one item to another in WoW but you can't do it the same way you do in TOR. I personally haven't played another MMO that lets you mod a piece of armour with any different combination of stat modifiers in the same way that TOR lets you. I'm not sure what you meant by end gear being purple, you can have purple modifiers in armour. Anyway, if similar systems exist in other games it doesn't change the point that it's not in WoW. You said it was a carbon copy of that game.

Anyway, clearly you see what you want to see, others see it differently.

Purple gear has baked in stats, it has mods as well, you can strip the mods, but you can't put the baked in stats onto another piece of gear. IE: my Champion pvp gear, has no armoring in them. If I took the mods out and put em into orange gear I liked I would be boned without armoring to match.

Personal Story is fine, but dialogue trees? lol? outside of your personal story, these have ZERO effect on anything, they can't so Bioware made sure they didn't.
This is an example of a "dialogue tree" for any random non-class quest in the game:

"Oh hey! You're the great (Havoc Squad/Jedi/Scoundrel) I've heard so much about!"
"PLAYER CHOICE: Go fuck yourself"
"Hey, don't be rude to me dickwad!"
"So yeah I need you to help me kill a womp rat"
"PLAYER CHOICE: Womp rats are dumb and so are you"
"I'm not dumb you are!"
"The womp rats are over there, thanks bye!"

QUEST ACCEPTED.

holy shit, that's some amazing fucking choice right there. I really feel my decisions impacted the quest.

Fuckkkkk. Don't know what to play as. It took awhile messing around, but I can sort of make a human that looks like me.

Or...

I can go with my tradition of playing female characters in Bioware games which I've done for everything after my first playthrough of KotOR 1. Mostly cause the guys you can make in the character creators always turned out ugly.

Still don't know what class to play either. Leaning Agent if I go Empire. Not sure about Republic.

Decisions, decisions...

GAF, halp!

TheYanger

I played both tank and healer and the companion made everything better.

I actually have to tank with a dps companion to keep mobs off them.
I actually have to play as a healer on my tank/dps companions to beat tough fights.

It matters. Have you leveled 1-60 in Vanilla WoW? Completely unviable if you want to get things done efficiently. Companions are a game changer.

Yes, in fact, I have. Tanks and healers in wow were perfectly competent levellers. Slow, but it's slow in this game too. The mobs are relatively harder, ebcause they're balanced around having the companion (IE: if you just deleted a companion in tor, obviously you wouldn't have success, because they expect you to) but the outcome is the same: Tanks and healers kill slower but are more durable, same as vanilla wow. DPS with a DPS pet is like playing a pure dps levelling in wow,you don't solo elites as well without lots of tricks, but you kill average mobs in seconds.

That's a game changer right there! /eyeroll.

Any fellow Concealment Operatives know what stats I should be aiming for? I would think Tech Power for my poisons, but idk

Accuracy (if not at 100%) > Cunning > Critical Rating/Surge Rating > Power is what I've been going towards. I wouldn't be surprised if after some heavy theorycrafting occurs that the priorities change a little, but this seems to be the popular stat priority for other Concealment Operatives I've run across as well.

Ok, your first 4 points are basically the exact same thing. "The quest system has cutscenes" sorry, but it is. Companion characters, aside from crafting which I forgot to mention and IS kind of cool, are just story devices. You will never use one when you do an instance, pvp, or raid, they're just there for questing. "Modding orange armor" is nothing. Mods are just any socketable item from any game ever. Yeah, you can keep a piece of gear that looks cool, except A) at the end game, all the gear is purple, which means you can't just mod it up like that, and B) you can look like whatever you want in wow as well (and many other games). It's not innovative or flexible, it's less flexible than most mmos have today in fact, including wow.

Probably when you reach 50 and you start doing the daily dungeons and raids, things are not very different from WoW.

But meanwhile, when you play the game, is as close as a KOTOR3 as it gets. In other MMO, the single player experience is dull. You don't care about roleplay, you check all quests without reading the description, go there, kill, grind, continue. Here I watch the cutscenes, i roleplay a character (not only when the decision affect dark-side, always), and you only feel that is a MMO when you saw other people in there. A few times i even went for the save button before a boss!

Anno

I guess I don't really see why this is even some kind of weird argument. There's no denying that the gameplay in TOR and WoW are similar. WoW had a lot of cool stuff, no need to change it. TOR brings in its own set of perks that, I'd wager, are the main reason people will end up liking this game. Major MMOs have largely been iterative affairs at best for some time now.

So yeah, can we go back to actually talking more about the game? Anytime to avoid this being General Forums v2.0.

Fuckkkkk. Don't know what to play as. It took awhile messing around, but I can sort of make a human that looks like me.

Or...

I can go with my tradition of playing female characters in Bioware games which I've done for everything after my first playthrough of KotOR 1. Mostly cause the guys you can make in the character creators always turned out ugly.

Still don't know what class to play either. Leaning Agent if I go Empire. Not sure about Republic.

Decisions, decisions...

GAF, halp!

I pick my gender based on the voice actor, honestly. I'll vouch for the male Agent being super super good.

TheYanger

Probably when you reach 50 and you start doing the daily dungeons and raids, things are not very different from WoW.

But meanwhile, when you play the game, is as close as a KOTOR3 as it gets. In other MMO, the single player experience is dull. You don't care about roleplay, you check all quests without reading the description, go there, kill, grind, continue. Here I watch the cutscenes, i roleplay a character (not only when the decision affect dark-side, always), and you only feel that is a MMO when you saw other people in there. A few times i even went for the save button before a boss!

I never said the quest system didn't make it fun. It's not like I ever said ToR wasn't great, it is, I love it. I said it's extremely derivative of wow, and is basically the same game. which it is. It's funny to see how butthurt people get about that realization. That being said, yeah the non-class quests you will absolutely start spacebarring through if you want to preserve your sanity. I can get the story behind "Gormoks are bad" within 5 quests, the 80 more that do the sme thing on the planet don't really add a whole lot. Class quests are fully realized and awesome. Too bad it's an MMO and you're done with them in short order.

I never said the quest system didn't make it fun. It's not like I ever said ToR wasn't great, it is, I love it. I said it's extremely derivative of wow, and is basically the same game. which it is. It's funny to see how butthurt people get about that realization. That being said, yeah the non-class quests you will absolutely start spacebarring through if you want to preserve your sanity. I can get the story behind "Gormoks are bad" within 5 quests, the 80 more that do the sme thing on the planet don't really add a whole lot. Class quests are fully realized and awesome. Too bad it's an MMO and you're done with them in short order.

Honestly I'm not seeing people getting "butt hurt" about anything. I see people disagreeing with your opinion and explaining there reasoning in a civil manner. If you feel the game can be summarized as "It's just WoW with lightsabers!" that's your prerogative, agree to disagree and move on imo.

Alex

Personal Story is fine, but dialogue trees? lol? outside of your personal story, these have ZERO effect on anything

I don't think that's true at all. There are totally filler quests where what you said is true and are ultimately a quick means to an end but I've come across plenty of quests, far outside of class narrative, that effect the story. From typical pick ups to dungeon ones. I'm doing alts before cap and on my second pass through a few areas now and have caused quick ends to quests, different outcomes (which give or skip bonus objectives), gotten different rewards (no rewards sometimes!), etc.

You're doing the same shit you do in the WoW thread now; bring up a good point, get people to debate you in it, then refute by putting your fingers in your ears and essentially going "nuh uh". =/ And calling people butt hurt, really man?

You're like a conversational black hole!

Or...

Decisions, decisions...

GAF, halp!

Agent is fantastic.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
The servers aren't dead or life less, its the instancing they did which they said before launch was supposed to only exist on the start planets... it exists on ALL planets.
It exists on all planets when needed. I've seen several planets where the population was only in the 125 range or so and there was only 1 instance, at least for the faction I was on. I'm on Alderaan right now on Daragon Trail and its showing 130 people on, but no extra instances according to the world map.

Not sure what the number is that triggers another instance to start.

If you think that this is similar to WoW, you should play Rift.

The point is that the game is so similar to KOTOR that is difficult to say that is a ripoff of WoW. Obviously, it follow the same scheme as any "conventional" MMO (to make it different than EVE and other games), but is because is the same genre. You have to keep it real time, you have the typical tank-dps-healer combo... but you already had that tank-dps-healer combo in KOTOR or even Baldur's Gate, with the difference that you could pause the game (and you can't in a MMO) to make strategic orders.

In the end, any MMO is similar to a single player experience, but with a lot of extra (and boring content). EVE online is similar to freelancer or X3. Ultima online was similar to Ultima 7, etc. Most of the MMO follow the experience of Neverwinter Nights and similar first 3D third person RPG. So WoW and SWTOR have common fathers, and they play similar (because there is a limited number of ways to do stuff in a genre), but you can feel a lot of KOTOR in SWTOR. And, when you have to enlarge the leveling experience with a lot of generic content to prevent people reaching max-level in a few days, you end doing a very similar experience (again, except if you decide to base your MMO in something radically different as Freelancer)

Varna

I never said the quest system didn't make it fun. It's not like I ever said ToR wasn't great, it is, I love it. I said it's extremely derivative of wow, and is basically the same game.

I can totally see this being the case. The only modern MMORPG I've played for an extended amount of time was DCU and so many little things (Cosmetic, interface, quest, etc) are familiar. I have no doubt these are things that WoW made standard a long time ago. Funny how much I am getting hooked on this game. I could never stand Wow... but slap a Star Wars skin on it and I'm all over it. heh.

frequency

Nope. Completely wrong. They make playing the game completely fun for healers and tanks.
Even as DPS, the companion character is very useful. I think I would have a lot of trouble with some of the groups that have enemies that con "Strong" if not for my tank companion.

Now that I think about it, you rarely ever fight just 1 enemy at a time in this game. It's almost always fighting against groups.

Jtrizzy

After reading up on the various types of servers, I'm not sure which type I should be joining. I've never played an MMO, so should I just do the single player oriented server?

frequency

After reading up on the various types of servers, I'm not sure which type I should be joining. I've never played an MMO, so should I just do the single player oriented server?

PvP servers can be extremely frustrating. I would always suggest a PvE server, or maybe even RP if you're into that sort of thing to a new player.

You would probably do best to roll on Keller's Void with the rest of GAF. Keller's Void is a PvE server.

Not sure what you mean by "single player oriented server" though. I assume you mean PvE.

frequency

Yeah that's what I meant...thanks. I don't want to be getting attacked constantly when I'm learning how to play.

You won't be constantly attacked, but it can be really annoying when some guy way higher level than you that you have no chance against decides he doesn't want to let you play in the area and repeatedly kills you while you're trying to quest.

Derrick01

Banned
I'm a little disappointed by the size of Kaas city. Considering it's the sith capital it doesn't even feel as big as orgrimmar or stormwind. Maybe it's just perception or the layout, but it feels smaller.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
This is an example of a "dialogue tree" for any random non-class quest in the game:

"Oh hey! You're the great (Havoc Squad/Jedi/Scoundrel) I've heard so much about!"
"PLAYER CHOICE: Go fuck yourself"
"Hey, don't be rude to me dickwad!"
"So yeah I need you to help me kill a womp rat"
"PLAYER CHOICE: Womp rats are dumb and so are you"
"I'm not dumb you are!"
"The womp rats are over there, thanks bye!"

QUEST ACCEPTED.

holy shit, that's some amazing fucking choice right there. I really feel my decisions impacted the quest.

We're playing different games I guess. There are plenty of quests where you can end up with a fight or without a fight depending on what responses you pick. Just because you reach an outcome when you play doesn't mean everyone gets the same outcome. You also have choices in Flashpoints as well where you can choose to kill people or save people, for example.

You're also trying to move the goalposts now by saying "non-class quests". So make up your mind. Does dialogue never matter or only sometimes matters? I know in my class quest I was able to save someone who I could have killed who later helped me during a boss fight.

So I played for an hour as a Consular. Story is kinda eh so far, but I've seen up to where I am and a little beyond from a video already.

Gonna test drive an Agent now I think. I want to get a good feel for at least the classes I'm most interested in before making a commitment.

On Keller's Void, but I don't need a guild invite until I've settled on what I want to play (and after I get off the newbie planet.)

Jtrizzy

So is it still necessary to do the AA thing in the OP or did they patch that. I'm almost done installing, really looking forward to this.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
So is it still necessary to do the AA thing in the OP or did they patch that. I'm almost done installing, really looking forward to this.
still requires something like that for AA. I just created a custom profile for the game in Catalyst Control though.

I'm a lvl 30 shadow and tonight I went exploring on tatooine (pve) and infiltrated imperial territory, I was surrounded by sith players. It was so weird seeing players I will never interact with playing the game. I tried being nice and waving at players but they never interacted back so I decided to kill their mobs before they could for like 5 min and quick traveled out of there.

After soloing most of the way to my current level, I did a bunch of group Heroic missions tonight and had a lot of fun. I like the option to solo as much as you want, but even as someone whose pretty indifferent to multiplayer gaming with strangers, being alone gets boring fast. The emptiness of the worlds is definitely exacerbated when you're never really forced to interact with other players. I've even started keeping the general chat open just to have some background chatter going.

HBroward

The patch notes for 1.0.2 are great, pretty much every huge bug seems to be fixed. Goodbye corruption glitch! Hope it actually comes out soon.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
The patch notes for 1.0.2 are great, pretty much every huge bug seems to be fixed.
Joke post? The number of bugs I've run into in TOR outclasses pretty much every other MMO I've ever played and there is just a gigantic list of things that still need to be fixed.

Thoraxes

Graphics preferences in settings files are now consistent with actual settings in use.

So this is either a good thing in that it'll reflect the ini file or a bad thing in that our games won't start if what's in-game isn't currently able to be done in-game.

CzarTim

1.0.2 Patch Notes

General
Guilds that are currently leaderless will have an Officer chosen and promoted to Guild Leader.

Classes and Combat

Sith Inquisitor

General
The Darth title is now properly granted to Sith Inquisitors.
Bug Fixes
Corrected an issue that could prevent players from taking cover when targeting large NPCs.
Fixed a bug that caused some abilities with activation times to be interrupted when used from cover.

Flashpoints and Operations

Flashpoints

Taral V
General Edikar now has the correct loot in Hard Mode and no longer enrages in Normal Mode.
Operations

Bug Fixes
Fixed an issue that could cause choosing Nightmare Mode to not set enemies to Nightmare difficulty.

Items

General
PvP lockboxes now cost 70 commendations, contain more consumables, and always contain an item.
Bug Fixes
Corrected several PvP items that were Bind on Equip. They are now Bind on Pickup.
PvP vendors on Capital Planets now offer the correct PvP items.
Commendations received via in-game mail are now correctly added to the Currency tab.

Missions and NPCs

Missions

Imperial
Number One with a Bullet: Players who choose dark side options now correctly receive the mission First Strike after completing this mission.
First Strike: Players who did not receive this mission will now receive it upon entering their personal starships.
Republic
Death Cloud: Players can now complete the "Toxic Waste" bonus objective regardless of how quickly they complete this mission.
Bug Fixes
Corrected mission steps on several planets that could cause client instability.
Fixed issues with some missions that could prevent pending rewards from being accepted.

Space Combat

Bug Fixes
Fixed an issue that caused a client crash if a space station was destroyed in Space Combat.

UI

Maps
Group members no longer appear on all planets on the Galaxy Map.
Corrected an issue that could cause map notes to disappear after logging out and back into the game.
Corrected some map notes that referenced the incorrect map.
Updated map notes for "travel to planet" steps in class missions on Nar Shaddaa, Hoth, and Belsavis to indicate the planet's space station.
Bug Fixes
Players now receive the appropriate message if they attempt to create more characters than are permitted per account.
Group members outside of a player's phase are no longer prompted to roll on items.
The In-Game Customer Service Portal no longer appears to hang while the "updating" message is displayed.
The Guild interface now properly displays the guild member list when it is sorted.
The "Show Sith Corruption" option no longer toggles off when transitioning between areas.

Miscellaneous Bug Fixes
Taxi rides are no longer occasionally interrupted, causing the player to be dropped from the taxi.
Using the /dismiss command now correctly dismisses a vanity pet.
Corrected some issues that could cause players to become stuck on the loading screen when logging into a character.
Players can now use emotes while riding a vehicle.
Fixed a bug that prevented some text-only mail messages from being received.
Graphics preferences in settings files are now consistent with actual settings in use.
Being in Do Not Disturb mode no longer prevents characters from being logged out for being away.
Corrected an issue that caused poor performance on some machines in indoor areas with shadows enabled.
Fixed an issue that could prevent players from being logged out for inactivity.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=108551

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Alright buddy, when the scariest part of the game is walking across terrain that isn't flat because your character will get lodged in geometry and sometimes can't even escape with "/stuck", there are obviously huge issues at play. I like TOR a lot, but at the same time it feels like the game got pushed to release before it was actually done. I can't think of any other MMORPG that has been so bad about geometry issues, falling through the world, graphical bugs, untargetable enemies, quests filling my log that I can't drop, and performance issues. My brother's rather beefy laptop had massive inexplicable framerate issues that could only be solved by an innane workaround of flipping between low and high settings that I just happened to come across online.

So yeah, in my experience TOR's bugs are far more inexcusable than most other MMOs I've played, but if you'd like to share some kind of valid opinion instead of throwing out a "lollllllllll" post that'd be great.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
You know, the important bugs.

I'm pretty sure that's not how it works in a programming environment. You can have bugs that take an hour to fix and bugs that take a week to fix. Sometime during the course of that week someone might need to take a break from solving an issue and do one of the easy ones just because it's easy and needs to be done. Or you give the easy ones to new programmers who are just getting up to speed on the code or junior guys.

Having more than 1 programming working on a solution is usually like having 2 guys trying to write the same chapter of a novel at the same time.

gyrspike

Neo Member
Joke post? The number of bugs I've run into in TOR outclasses pretty much every other MMO I've ever played and there is just a gigantic list of things that still need to be fixed.

lol You obviously never played Anarchy Online at launch my friend. The retail copy was so bugged it wasn't funny. You literally had to download a patch for the installer before you could install the game AND if you tried to uninstall the game the first week it had a nasty bug where it accidentally deleted the entire contents of your C: drive.

Nightz

Started playing this game today and I'm having fun so far. Any GAFfers on Warriors of the Shadow?

I'd like to play with you guys, so I might make a character on Keller's Void as well.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
lol You obviously never played Anarchy Online at launch my friend. The retail copy was so bugged it wasn't funny. You literally had to download a patch for the installer before you could install the game AND if you tried to uninstall the game the first week it had a nasty bug where it accidentally deleted the entire contents of your C: drive.

Final Fantasy 14 was released a year early...
which would have been a good thing, if it was finished.

But trying to delete the contents of C? wow.

It exists on all planets when needed. I've seen several planets where the population was only in the 125 range or so and there was only 1 instance, at least for the faction I was on. I'm on Alderaan right now on Daragon Trail and its showing 130 people on, but no extra instances according to the world map.

Not sure what the number is that triggers another instance to start.

Yeah. I'm on Kaiburr Crystal and I just checked the Imperial Fleet during primetime on a Friday night and it was at like 60 people. Meanwhile I check a stream on JTV and see a guy in the IF with 2 instances each of 150+ people. I picked a server that was listed as heavy population too, so I shudder to think how desolate a standard or light population server would be like.

Normally I wouldn't give a shit, but unlike WoW we can't create cross-server groups to do dungeons, so when there simply isn't enough people on, running flashpoints and doing 4 man quests becomes next to impossible.

Ferny

Started playing this game today and I'm having fun so far. Any GAFfers on Warriors of the Shadow?

I'd like to play with you guys, so I might make a character on Keller's Void as well.

Another MaddenGAFer? Me and Somnia on are on Kellers Void but Empire side bro

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Hit level 31 tonight on my JK Sent, and decided to give PvP a go for the very first time.

Played a game where each team tried to take control of three turrets. And then played two games of Huttball.

I
have
no
idea
what
I'm
doing.

lol

I was having a blast, though! I've never played an MMO, so this was my very first go at PvP, ever. I basically just listened to what others were yelling at people to do. On the turret map, I kept getting told to "scout left", so when I spawned I would head left and just wait for enemies to approach me.

We won all three games, though! My Kills/Deaths were positive each game, too! ... But that doesn't seem to be quite the feat, as most my team was positive. Maybe the other teams were just really bad?

Anyhoo... what should I be doing? What's the strategy? Considering I'm DPS, I was basically just running around spamming attacks. When I saw someone was using a "long attack" that I could interrupt with Force Kick, I did that. But otherwise, yeah... just spamming hotkeys and trying to slow people down with certain attacks.

Any pointers for a total noob? Thanks!

Top Bottom