• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

Man, Heroic 4 starts to feel like a fucking Aion, shit takes forever to kill even in full party of 4. Done Friends of Old yesterday, I'm a Medic and I don't understand how can you do it without a Healer, the whole stuff is just open area instance.

I will stick with Operative I think, maybe later I will try Powertech.

Also, am I supposed to pick Orange gear just for looks? Will it be competitive with other items when modded? Any nice set for Imperial Agent, I kinda look like crap now.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I know, I know. I just want more pictures! Been troubleshooting some errors and should be in by tonight.

Here you go
screenshot_2011-12-28mlaz6.jpg

frequency

Man, Heroic 4 starts to feel like a fucking Aion, shit takes forever to kill even in full party of 4. Done Friends of Old yesterday, I'm a Medic and I don't understand how can you do it without a Healer, the whole stuff is just open area instance.

Also, am I supposed to pick Orange gear just for looks? Will it be competitive with other items when modded? Any nice set for Imperial Agent, I kinda look like crap now.

The last Heroic 4 I did was without a healer. It was nearly impossible even though we were over-leveled. We did everything we could and pretty much just barely beat each group with 1 person still alive. That one person would revive everyone then we'd continue.

I really dislike the heroic quests. They're way too hard. I think you should be able to do them with any group meeting the number recommended. Requiring a healer and stuff should only be for flash points.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?

Yep, you should be able mod any orange piece to be the equivalent of any blue or purple with the right mods. Mods is what I've been spending my commendations on as I'm leveling. I have a bank full of orange pieces even at 29 to eventually sort through and find a good look.

usea

People somehow handled high end raiding in Everquest without recount, DBM, healbot, and raid performance graphs. The best players out there found a way to beat Molten Core, UBRS, and AQ without 2000 mods, elitist jerks, and pages of Excel spreadsheets.
Uh, no. We were first on our server to beat most of the bosses in vanilla wow, and we definitely used spreadsheets, boss mods, dps meters, etc etc. I wrote timer mods for C'Thun between pulls because the boss mods people kept theirs private until world firsts happened.

Sure, the lesser guilds had people running bad specs etc and trying to faceroll through Blackwing Lair. But they spent a ton of time losing every night before they lucked into a good win. The good guilds on every server used the tools at their disposal to be successful, like any rational person would.

So after making a 21 Sage and a 20 Sentinel and only really liking the Sage but not really the Sentinel, I decided to make a Commando the other day.

Got him to 25 and enjoying him way more then the other 2. Though I may go back to those guys one day. I do want to make a Gunslinger or an IA.

But for now I will continue on my Commando. Enjoying him and he's fun. Any Troopers have any opinions on what the better companion is to level with? Dorne or Aric? I'm 25 and just got Dorne.

Also my Commando is looking sweet and I just got to Nar Shaddaa (Yes late) but it is a gorgeous planet.

Also Nar Shaddaa is gorgeous and my Commando looks like a pimp.

fmXHc.jpg

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I am so surprised that a neoGAF MMO thread deteriorated into WoW talk.
Yes, it sure is crazy that people play a broken and feature incomplete MMORPG and point to a popular, successful, and tightly made MMORPG as a reference point on how to do things right. And it is really awful that people have anything to say about it and aren't just posting funny pictures.

TheYanger

So after making a 21 Sage and a 20 Sentinel and only really liking the Sage but not really the Sentinel, I decided to make a Commando the other day.

Got him to 25 and enjoying him way more then the other 2. Though I may go back to those guys one day. I do want to make a Gunslinger or an IA.

But for now I will continue on my Commando. Enjoying him and he's fun. Any Troopers have any opinions on what the better companion is to level with? Dorne or Aric? I'm 25 and just got Dorne.

Also my Commando is looking sweet and I just got to Nar Shaddaa (Yes late) but it is a gorgeous planet.

Also Nar Shaddaa is gorgeous and my Commando looks like a pimp.

fmXHc.jpg

I'm sure as a commando you could likely use any companion you wanted, but Aric isn't very good in general, I've literally NEVER seen a trooper over level 30 that wasn't using Dorne. She's amazing. I've done heroic 4 quest areas tons with just 2 troopers and 2 dornes healing me.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Yes, it sure is crazy that people play a broken and feature incomplete MMORPG and point to a popular, successful, and tightly made MMORPG as a reference point on how to do things right. And it is really awful that people have anything to say about it and aren't just posting funny pictures.

I think you mean tightly patched.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I think you mean tightly patched.
No, pretty sure WoW at least had a legible UI on launch. It was a polished product at launch with some bugs. TOR is a pile of bugs and poor design with the occasional bit of polish.

frequency

Is there an auction house in this game? I have a bunch of stuff I want to try to sell so I can afford a mount at 25. I'm nowhere near the credits I need and I'm already level 21.

CzarTim

Is there an auction house in this game? I have a bunch of stuff I want to try to sell so I can afford a mount at 25. I'm nowhere near the credits I need and I'm already level 21.

GTN is on the fleet and some major cities. Nar Shaada has a faction neutral one.

So datacron hunting is really fucking fun. Forgetting about the nominal attribute gains they give you, the way they hide these things and the hoops you have to jump through to get them are just awesome. Towellie was just streaming his whole guild on Twitch going after them, about 60 people cruising through low level zones walking up these weird ledges and getting to all these crazy places.

Everybody should try to get them, even if you don't care about the stats.

Trouble

Banned
So datacron hunting is really fucking fun. Forgetting about the nominal attribute gains they give you, the way they hide these things and the hoops you have to jump through to get them are just awesome. Towellie was just streaming his whole guild on Twitch going after them, about 60 people cruising through low level zones walking up these weird ledges and getting to all these crazy places.

Riding the jawa balloon for half an hour, then missing the jump to the second datacron, was decidedly not fun.

Lain

Modding them gives it good stats. I'd suggest the Hammer Lookout chest/legs, it looks great. I don't think I'm gonna switch it unless I find something even better looking.

yOXnO.jpg

Man, why do the textures have to be so bad =(

TheYanger

WoW at launch had:

Stratholme runs for 8 hours
UBRS runs for 10 hours
Cloth users being one-shotted

Want me to go on?

Huh, I remember none of those things, since they're all malarky. Dungeons were harder, but none took more than an hour or so with any group that wasn't mentally ill.

Cloth users being one shot...guessing you mean pvp? Cause that didn't happen either, but it's good you think so.

TOR's UI is complete donkey shit in this day and age, anyone that tries to claim otherwise is going to need some amazing kind of argument (which doesn't exist, since it's basically a FACT how bad this is), not this nonsense.

frequency

I find SWTOR's UI to be fine for the most part. I prefer the health bars and stuff being at the bottom near the actual hotkeys. That way I can keep an eye on cooldowns and health at the same time.

I don't like that there's bars on left and right of the screen though. I prefer to have both bars on one side. It would also be a nice addition to have usable quest items on the quest tracker thing like WoW has it, instead of having to put it on a hotkey bar or having the item window open all the time.

Speaking of the item window, I definitely prefer the one window instead of separate bags that WoW has. It's way easier to visually sort things for me this way.

I don't like their maps though. Navigating the map screen is confusing and difficult for me. And whenever I go to quick travel, I'm always lost and don't know which spot is the area I'm currently in.

The social window is also broken for me. Searching only works some of the time and the guild list is broken. I only ever see one person online in the guild list. If I click see all offline, I see like 10 people, but it's all names starting with A. So... I don't know what's going on there.

The crafting and quest windows are super confusing so I haven't bothered to learn them yet.

Alex

Theorycrafting is the one of the better and the more frustrating parts of WoW. The actual outside discussion and breakdown of it in a vacuum is fun , interesting and rewarding. It's good for game balance and it's not wrong to hold people to at least a decent standard. They're also great in general for personal growth.

They do cause issues though, often, the direction WoW took in recent years and the general miasma it's swept over the community has caused a lot of issues with misuse and misinterpretation of metering software, mods, etc, that just were not present early on. And not just on the low end, either, I've seen some crazy shit all the way up the totem pole.

There's a few issues that lead to this:

-Easily mathed out rotational play needs to take a backseat. More support and assist mechanics and various environmental and boss effects that aren't simply healing sinks are the way to go.

When you pull off a big rotational combo, it should really mean something. Perhaps PvE could learn a bit from PvP, here.

-Do not castrate 99% your game. There's a thing called middle ground. This is where the bulk of your content should be so the community develops a basic level of skill so it doesn't feel the need to police itself.

-Do not drape a veil of anonymity over every aspect of the community in a social focused genre then do nothing to regulate it.

Still, I was mostly fine with the ol' BC era of doing things, or would've been if they kept expanding on that. Nowadays I'm pretty sick of theorycraft beyond the basics, the sterilization of classes and combat and pretty much anything Blizzard does with Warcraft so I hope Bioware can learn a few things that are plaguing it a bit, lately.

Both sides are right though, they just need to realize theres pros and cons to everything. The more casual users even need to see the benefits of metering and mods and all the ilk and people like yanger need to realize that not that many people raid for five days a week in pro guilds and care all that much in a PvE game, especially when the bulk of raid difficulty is the sheep herding aspect of it rather than any personal responsibility.

I'm sure as a commando you could likely use any companion you wanted, but Aric isn't very good in general, I've literally NEVER seen a trooper over level 30 that wasn't using Dorne. She's amazing. I've done heroic 4 quest areas tons with just 2 troopers and 2 dornes healing me.

Really? Man Aric does more dmg then me at times lol.

Guess I will keep Dorne out and give her all of Aric's gear since they share the same stats.

Riding the jawa balloon for half an hour, then missing the jump to the second datacron, was decidedly not fun.

I watched a video of someone do that, thought it was hilarious. Although that particular datacron is more a matter of going AFK for about 20 minutes after getting on the balloon. I'm referring to every other datacron in the game.

Well 20-ish of us took out a big "world boss" on Taris yesterday and I must say it was a great fun fight. I am looking forward to some of the raids in this game.

TBH the lack of meters and "auto-play" stuff that beeps when you have to push a button or screams at you when you have to "run away" like in WoW is so refreshing. After 3 years of hardcore WoW raiding I couldn't stand it anymore. Basically I was not in control... it was some piece of software that told me what to do and when. MMOs should hide a lot of the mechanics behind the screens... the focus should be on fun and being creative.

Yeah it kinda prevents us to min/max our stats and strategies but I can let go of that.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death

It would be fun if the game actually controlled really well like an actual platformer should. This doesn't so it's not fun. In fact it's infuriating when they put easter eggs or something hidden/secret for you to look around based on a really crappy control mechanic that's not even rewarding at any other point in the game. Seriously, so freaking useless.

Lain

Huh, I remember none of those things, since they're all malarky. Dungeons were harder, but none took more than an hour or so with any group that wasn't mentally ill.

Cloth users being one shot...guessing you mean pvp? Cause that didn't happen either, but it's good you think so.

TOR's UI is complete donkey shit in this day and age, anyone that tries to claim otherwise is going to need some amazing kind of argument (which doesn't exist, since it's basically a FACT how bad this is), not this nonsense.

Dungens like strath and UBRS took a long time to complete (sometimes up to two hours with a some wipes and subpar people) because they were big with lots of trash, but 8-10 hours is bullshit indeed, unless people literally sucked. Plus those were the endgame we had for a little while before MC was introduced (you could go in with 2 groups if I remember right?), so them taking a certain time to complete wasn't exactly wrong.

Cloth Users were getting oneshotted in PvP though, thanks to the Adamantite Reaver or however it was called, but then again at that time we Mind Controlled people out of BGs, we combustion bombed group of peoples, reverse dot kited etc. PvP was unbalanced but still fun.

I'm with you on the UI being shit.

frequency

BGs weren't in WoW at launch. If I remember right, that came months after.
PvP in WoW was pretty much just in SS/TM and with large groups or attacking that one city in the Barrens (I can't remember the name of it), so 1-shotting wasn't that big a deal.

There was also a lot of "ganking" in Stranglethorn. One shotting was more a deal there I guess.

Won

It always fascinates me how the Voidstar minimap just overlaps with the right side bar. It's like the UI designers never actually tested their work or ever attempted to play the game with what they created.

It always fascinates me how the Voidstar minimap just overlaps with the right side bar. It's like the UI designers never actually tested their work or ever attempted to play the game with what they created.

It doesn't overlap when the UI properly scales

Moaradin

Tatooine was my favorite so far. The World Arc story was great, the Imperial Agent storyline was amazing. It's the first planet with world pvp and it has the fucking cantina song in it.

jn7KhuSIbY7Fe.png

j8tVPaMnw0Yx.png

jMpIp1DKtPW9i.png

j3mEd7jIoYg7Z.png

J-Rzez

If this game didn't get popular, there is no hope for any MMOs honestly. I don't think any MMOs that are upcoming have anywhere near the mass appeal Star Wars has.

In what sense? Game quality/experience or IP for mass appeal? The game felt really polished early on, but it became pretty evident they were hoping to just patch as they go when you got to later content. There are a ton of bugs in here, and at times IA/Smugs can be outright unplayable due to the cover system (getting stuck in cover that the game puts you in). PVP is very-very unsatisfying in this game, as nearly every WZ you get into has latency issues, and overall it just doesn't feel that great in world PVP even. Something's just "off".

The honeymoon is over for me, and I can't believe how much the quality of experiences dropped. It's fun for the great storylines, but thus far outside of that, there's nothing to write home about. I have my ticket for the GW2 hype train ready, and I'm hoping that it can save MMOs.

Moaradin

If you think any MMO won't be buggy at launch, you will probably be disappointed. The game has a lot of bugs at launch like most MMOs, but it's actually one of the most smooth launches in the bunch.

Darklord

Banned
Fucking bugged loot chest again. First Mandalorian raid now Boarding party. It seems when you die from the boss and then beat him, the chest doesn't unlock. That's a pretty serious game breaking bug. What's the point of doing a flashpoint if you get nothing out of it?

That and the broken companion conversations need to be fixed ASAP. Before anything else. You can't have a story MMO without loot or story.

vitaminwateryum

corporate swill
Tatooine was my favorite so far. The World Arc story was great, the Imperial Agent storyline was amazing. It's the first planet with world pvp and it has the fucking cantina song in it.

http://i.minus.com/jn7KhuSIbY7Fe.png[/MG]
[IMG]http://i.minus.com/j8tVPaMnw0Yx.png[/IG]
[IMG]http://i.minus.com/jMpIp1DKtPW9i.png[/IG]
[IMG]http://i.minus.com/j3mEd7jIoYg7Z.png[/IG][/QUOTE]

What part of the map is the Sarlaac pit at? I think that's the only bit I've yet to see.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
In what sense? Game quality/experience or IP for mass appeal? The game felt really polished early on, but it became pretty evident they were hoping to just patch as they go when you got to later content. There are a ton of bugs in here, and at times IA/Smugs can be outright unplayable due to the cover system (getting stuck in cover that the game puts you in).
Just use cover in place instead, no worries anymore about getting stuck.

frequency

Someone posted earlier in the thread about "Cover in Place" or something like that in the keybinds. I switched it to use that as the middle mouse button and cover hasn't been an issue for me anymore (bug-wise).

I think the default is shift+middle mouse or shift+f to cover in place.

CzarTim

If you think any MMO won't be buggy at launch, you will probably be disappointed. The game has a lot of bugs at launch like most MMOs, but it's actually one of the most smooth launches in the bunch.

+1

I haven't seen anything that can't be fixed.

squidyj

In what sense? Game quality/experience or IP for mass appeal? The game felt really polished early on, but it became pretty evident they were hoping to just patch as they go when you got to later content. There are a ton of bugs in here, and at times IA/Smugs can be outright unplayable due to the cover system (getting stuck in cover that the game puts you in). PVP is very-very unsatisfying in this game, as nearly every WZ you get into has latency issues, and overall it just doesn't feel that great in world PVP even. Something's just "off".

The honeymoon is over for me, and I can't believe how much the quality of experiences dropped. It's fun for the great storylines, but thus far outside of that, there's nothing to write home about. I have my ticket for the GW2 hype train ready, and I'm hoping that it can save MMOs.

Oh man, "you want to use cover to set up an ambush? how about that rock a half a foot from your target, noone will see you there"

also anything to do with railing just becomes a nightmare.

I'm still enjoying my play time and I might pay for another month of sub but I can definitely see the BS getting to me before too long

GW2 is going to ship with the cure for cancer BTW

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
I've never had issues with playing Operative and using TA; dart, backstab, shiv, TA lacerate, BS should be back up, Shiv. Repeat, only time I really have energy issues is when I have aggro. It's not complicated or hard at all, its just you actually have to pay attention. It's not a set and forget class or spam X skill until creature is dead class. If people think operatives are complicated then I have lost hope for MMOs progressing past the whole spam X key style of combat. And I hope these people stay far the fuck away from Guild Wars 2 Thieves, they'll hate it.

If the fight is going to be long, then pop stim boost as soon as it's available. Energy starvation is an issue, but lets not make the class out to be some kind of quantum physics class in regards to difficulity. I've seen more people bitch about Marauder playstyles than I've ever seen about Operatives, and I found Sentinel the easiest class to play....granted they're actually all easy.

i never really had issues with playing IA either.. its not hard or anything. There are just things you have to keep your eye on. You have to keep a certain pace otherwise you will get Energy starved.. and since your regen changes depending on how much Energy you have, you can screw yourself over.. ive died a couple times like that when i changed my spec to Concealment. You also need to keep an eye on your poisons if you want to do good damage as well.

i never made the class out to be quantum mechanics but compared to most Wow classes (i cant compare to other TOR classes since i havent played them) you have to play in a much more mindful way.

I don't know, how many more hilarious WoW "facts" can you make up?

Oh man, the nostalgia glasses sure can cloud your view. It's hilarious if you remember things to be different.

Stratholme in an hour? UBRS? LBRS? It's ok, we all hate to face reality sometimes.

Yes, every cloth class was getting one-shotted by rogues out of Ambush. May I remind you Vanilla WoW was the time when World of Roguecraft was made?

Top Bottom