• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
I'm 120 hours in and level 46. I've been taking my time and doing a bit of everything. If people want to complain about not enough content, let. I've found the opposite to be true. Lots of quest lines I've completely skipped because I'm already a higher level than needed for the next planet.

Yeah, I'm about 75 hours in an at level 29. I like to take my time and explore and not do quests at a breakneck pace.

At first I thought the leveling was way too fast and there were way too many quests because I was already over-leveled for Nar Shaddaa by the time I completed Taris but that's because I'm a completionist. I ended up skipping a lot of quests on Nar Shaddaa and now I realize that having too many quests is a good thing because the next time I go through with a character I can ignore half of Taris and I'll do all the quests I skipped on Nar Shaddaa the first time so I'll still have fresh content to go through even while leveling.

Patryn

Yeah, I'm about 75 hours in an at level 29. I like to take my time and explore and not do quests at a breakneck pace.

At first I thought the leveling was way too fast and there were way too many quests because I was already over-leveled for Nar Shaddaa by the time I completed Taris but that's because I'm a completionist. I ended up skipping a lot of quests on Nar Shaddaa and now I realize that having too many quests is a good thing because the next time I go through with a character I can ignore half of Taris and I'll do all the quests I skipped on Nar Shaddaa the first time so I'll still have fresh content to go through even while leveling.

I kind of did the same thing in skipping a lot of NS quests, but then I hit Tattoine like a brick wall. It's definitely a LOT harder to me than NS was. Dying quite a bit and doing every quest I can (except Search & Rescue... fighting groups of 5 elites at the same time isn't fun to me, even with a group).

Lilsnubby

I hear the consular's story and VA are both terrible, but my friend just started one today. Does it have any other redeeming qualities (like if the story gets any better)or should I suggest another class so she doesn't find the game too boring on her first character? She wants to advance into a shadow I think?

I'm playing a female consular now and feel that it's one of the best pc voices Bioware has ever had. Each to his own I guess.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
I kind of did the same thing in skipping a lot of NS quests, but then I hit Tattoine like a brick wall. It's definitely a LOT harder to me than NS was. Dying quite a bit and doing every quest I can (except Search & Rescue... fighting groups of 5 elites at the same time isn't fun to me, even with a group).

I've been duoing the entire time and we haven't done much of Tat yet, just got out of Anchorhead. I'm actually hoping you're right and it's a bit harder since we steamrolled through Nar Shaddaa and I would welcome a bit of a challenge to be honest.

Game difficulty did seem to ramp up quite a bit when I got to Tat

Dash27

How many keybindings does everyone have right now? I'm looking at TWENTY SIX, not including buffs, medpacks, mount, or my rest/recover skill.

This is at 47, add another at 50. Geez.

How many keybindings does everyone have right now? I'm looking at TWENTY SIX, not including buffs, medpacks, mount, or my rest/recover skill.

This is at 47, add another at 50. Geez.

I'm 18 and I have already too much for my gunslinger. And all are the same kind of attack with small variations (consuming energy, having high cast time, having high cooldown, with possibility to stun, with possibility to stop...)

Spookie

Just finished the BH class quest and I feel done with the game. Looking forward shouting LFG in /1 doesn't appeal to me at all. Shame I probably picked the most boring storyline to complete too. :/

LowParry

Just finished the BH class quest and I feel done with the game. Looking forward shouting LFG in /1 doesn't appeal to me at all. Shame I probably picked the most boring storyline to complete too. :/

Aren't you playing with friends? Guild-mate to group with? If you're a tank, finding groups should be pretty easy. That is if you want to truck through potential bad pugs.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Yup, that's it, I think I'll be done with my Jedi Knight after act one. Sentinel is just SOOOO bad. I seriously can't beat this Act I boss at level 33. Guess I'll get on PvP tonight and grind for hours on end. So lame.

Spookie

Aren't you playing with friends? Guild-mate to group with? If you're a tank, finding groups should be pretty easy. That is if you want to truck through potential bad pugs.

I was playing with friends then they decided to re-roll and play another class so I've got me, myself and I for the next two months while they hit cap. I am playing healer but I've already been put off by horror stories from a friend's G/F who has been cap for a good couple of weeks. Telling me the groups are on par, if not worse, than your average WoW PUG. So people standing in fires, not interrupting or running out of AoEs that kind of thing.

LowParry

I was playing with friends then they decided to re-roll and play another class so I've got me, myself and I for the next two months while they hit cap. I am playing healer but I've already been put off by horror stories from a friend's G/F who has been cap for a good couple of weeks. Telling me the groups are on par, if not worse, than your average WoW PUG. So people standing in fires, not interrupting or running out of AoEs that kind of thing.

Geez, are they in for a hurt with hardmodes then. They're pretty challenging.

Really rushed through this game, 50 last week already? Yikes.

Anyways never really had trouble with groups, as long as your willing to talk to people. You simply talk and explain what to do and it gets done *shrug*. Course PUGs are always going to be random in how they work out, always is always will be.

So what is the general consensus on best class right now pve ie: class story with least difficulty spikes, solid skill progression, least amount of bugs, etc.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
So what is the general consensus on best class right now pve ie: class story with least difficulty spikes, solid skill progression, least amount of bugs, etc.

Probably won't get a straight answer out of anyone. A lot of people keep saying Jedi Knight but it seems fine to me.

Jrmint

On Republic side Smuggler has seemed really balancd and fun. I'm 21 almost 22 Gunslinger and have had no real serious issues.

eznark

Banned
- I promise this wealth will totally change your life if you help me!
Later
- Great news, this revolutionary tech is insanely profitable!!

here is 167 credits

uh...........................

Milly79

I still don't understand the decision of a mob of 3-4 or a mob of 2 with one being strong. This happens for too often when I got to Taris (which sucks, btw) and when you move onward from it.

Spookie

Really rushed through this game, 50 last week already? Yikes.

Anyways never really had trouble with groups, as long as your willing to talk to people. You simply talk and explain what to do and it gets done *shrug*. Course PUGs are always going to be random in how they work out, always is always will be.

She bombed through the content, she's been playing it since beta.

My problem is not to much with grouping as it is getting the groups. If I spend 20-30 minutes trying to find a group only for it to fall through at the first boss because people are brain dead I'll just /ragequit and uninstall.

Yeah, this is totally ridiculous.

Time to cancel

My problem is not to much with grouping as it is getting the groups. If I spend 20-30 minutes trying to find a group only for it to fall through at the first boss because people are brain dead I'll just /ragequit and uninstall.

Seems pretty reactionary over such a trivial thing. Groups fall apart all the time in MMOs, even with group finding tools. Playing with guildies/friends is always best of course, taking a break might be for the best.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
The 'bare minimum' in what regard? Every fight is different. I don't know about you, but I actually fought M'uru, which it doesn't sound like you did, let alone any other DPS check boss. 500-1k dps spread accross your entire group is the equivilent of having an entire extra player in your raid. That's effing huge. If you're nto going to do it, we're going to find someone that will. The fact that YOU burden the group with your unwillingness to do what is best is just flat out selfish in a game that is about playing with others, and you can't blame them for not wanting to play with you when you pull that shit.

I think you've helped me understand this viewpoint, the "WAHH NO COMBAT LOGS, NO WAY TO SEE WHO DOES WELL OR DOES POORLY" crowd is basically the MMO divide that showcases people who still think the world revolves around them and caters to them. Single player games can do that all they want, but in a Multiplayer game you can't force people to want to play with you when you're not doing anything beneficial for them.

Way to miss the point entirely, while stealth bragging and throwing some elitism in there for good measure.

I DID do the Mu'ru fight albeit in the 2.4.3 nerf, even then it was too easy because the fight just requres gear. The game should be about raid cohesion and intelligence instead of farming for gear. Anyone can get well geared, even when it was super hard. Mu'ru was a super easy fight, you just had to not stand in voids and kill adds.

Try to go into WoW and do a SWP group, people will still die on Kalec and Felmyst because the mechanics themselves are hard. Shit should be about who is playing, not what their character is geared with. Like it is now in WoW.

Jrmint

Later

here is 167 credits

Don't worry you'll have plenty of credits by the time you need them.

Spookie

Seems pretty reactionary over such a trivial thing.

Not really, I did this for many, many months playing DPS in Vanilla WoW. It was the worst most soul destroying experience I ever had with an MMO. I wouldn't be so bothered if I wasn't forced to sit in the capitol like a pillock.

bounchfx

just cancelled :(.

gonna play out the rest of my time to see if it grows on me more and maybe resub, but as of now it's just not what I'm looking for in an "MMO"

here's hoping GW2 fits that bill

antonz

It's all about the people you play with in the end how much enjoyment you are going to get out of the game once the leveling is done.

I am playing with the same Guild that I played with the day Galaxies launched and its just as fun just shooting the breeze while we dominate huttball as it is just doing dailies or other random stuff

Later

here is 167 credits

Yep, is some kind of crazy... but that's videogames (specially MMO or RPG games). In Skyrim you get less money killing a dragon in the start of the game than carrying a bag of food to some monks later, in WoW you get more money and XP only to talk to someone that is 10 meters away than from saving an entire town in the earlier levels, etc.

About the game, for me is not so much a MMO than a multiplayer RPG. I don't care at all about warzones or huge raiding at level 50. I'm playing the game solo or with some people to finish some quests up to level 50, and then I'll continue with other characters. Or probably I'll level several characters at the same time, to use the crafting. I love the full custom items.

In Skyrim, no one ever says "kill this dragon and you'll be set for life" that's the difference.

Well, they probably are in recession, also. Is funny that, as a smuggler, I always ask about the price and everybody says "you'll get a ton of money", "you'll be very well compensated", "the republic is rich, you'll get a great reward". I asked how much I will be payed, tell me the credits that I'll get and I'll decide if i make or not the damn quest.

Jrmint

Well, they probably are in recession, also. Is funny that, as a smuggler, I always ask about the price and everybody says "you'll get a ton of money", "you'll be very well compensated", "the republic is rich, you'll get a great reward". I asked how much I will be payed, tell me the credits that I'll get and I'll decide if i make or not the damn quest.

I kinda like not knowing what the rewards will be. It adds some intrigue and is a different way to go about it. It's kind of exciting to go back to your quest giver and see what you're gonna get.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I still don't understand the decision of a mob of 3-4 or a mob of 2 with one being strong. This happens for too often when I got to Taris (which sucks, btw) and when you move onward from it.

And then you have the great Dragon Age 2 mechanic of additional weakling mobs jetpacking in from nowhere after you aggro a guy.

KaYotiX

Banned
Later

here is 167 credits

LMFAO!! Yeah when i saw that in my story line i wanted to force choke a bitch :p

StudioTan

Don't worry, if money is all you love then that's what you're going to get!

Jarmel

Banned
Anyone know how health is determined?

I'm a level 33 Juggernaught with exactly 7k of health

Edit:Wow so TOR is crashing on me in the Cademimu flashpoint. It's like the netcode there is especially bad.

Top Bottom