• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Old Republic |OT| EA: "Let's blow this thing and go home!"

How do I unlock my advanced class as a sith inquisitor?

I hit level 10 and got a message that I remember saying "go to the imperial fleet" to pick an advanced class, but I couldnt find anyone to do this. There was a trainer, but he just unlocked my level 10 skill (Thrash?) and not an advanced class.

Darklord

Banned

I hit level 10 and got a message that I remember saying "go to the imperial fleet" to pick an advanced class, but I couldnt find anyone to do this. There was a trainer, but he just unlocked my level 10 skill (Thrash?) and not an advanced class.

There's an advanced class trainer you have to talk to. Not sure where the inquisitor one is but they'd be on the station someone easy to see.

Use your map to find the available missions. Usually AC quest/trainer is right by the entrace to the main level of fleet

If I want to play a bounty hunter with jetpack moves like hovering and charging do I need to be powertech?

someone told me the bounty hunter can launch into the air without a enemy target, thereby taking an aerial view of peaceful places is that right?

Darklord

Banned
If I want to play a bounty hunter with jetpack moves like hovering and charging do I need to be powertech?

someone told me the bounty hunter can launch into the air without a enemy target, thereby taking an aerial view of peaceful places is that right?

Not in mercenary. I can fly up but do to an aoe attack. If there is a skill like that it would be powertech.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Oh man, the nostalgia glasses sure can cloud your view. It's hilarious if you remember things to be different.

Stratholme in an hour? UBRS? LBRS? It's ok, we all hate to face reality sometimes.

Yes, every cloth class was getting one-shotted by rogues out of Ambush. May I remind you Vanilla WoW was the time when World of Roguecraft was made?
Nostalgia glasses? The claim that a five man dungeon would take eight hours to finish is so patently false that it can only be the product of complete fiction or serious mental illness. With competent groups LBRS took about an hour to an hour and a half, UBRS ~two to to and a half hours, and Strat maybe an hour and a half to two hours. These times went down as players become more geared and familiar with the instances, and people would speed run Strat in attempts to get the mount drop and could complete it in under an hour.

And World of Roguecraft was a comedic machinima designed as some weird user created propoganda. They came out well after the game had been released, and weren't even particularly true. Warriors and Mages were stronger than Rogues in PvP during that era anyways. WoW's old PvP was very fast paced with high damage outputs, particularly with damage scaling that came after launch. In no way does that make it a broken game.

The comparison of polish in TOR to WoW in general is just absurd, and creating fallacious lengths of completion for dungeons in no way proves any point. TOR is in a completely unacceptable state at launch that in no way deserves to be forgiven, and pales poorly in comparison to other major MMO launches.

TOR has no macro system. The map provides poor visibility, little information, and low usability. There literally is not even a way to /roll or /random for a piece of gear. It has a broken quest log that fills up with quests you cannot abandon. It has fundamental combat issues where passive abilities supposedly guaranteed to proc simply do not go off. It has massive response and global cool down issues. It throws level ten players into the same warzones as level fifty players. It is not at all uncommon for NPC targets to be unattackable outside of two meters (this problem particularly plagues important boss NPC spawns for quests). It is astoundingly easy to get stuck in any kind of uneven geometry. The /who command doesn't work. AA has to be forced through ini edits. High resolution textures seem to be missing in certain situations. Graphical errors can commonly cause major lighting issues or the world disappearing. Untargetable resource nodes populate zones. There are quest bugs that can completely halt any progression for characters. The class balance is a joke. To say there is an acceptable level of polish in this game is pretty absurd, especially in comparison to MMOs with very solid releases like Rift and WoW.

The comparison of polish in TOR to WoW in general is just absurd, and creating fallacious lengths of completion for dungeons in no way proves any point. TOR is in a completely unacceptable state at launch that in no way deserves to be forgiven, and pales poorly in comparison to other major MMO launches. .

Maybe you need to just take a break, you obviously are not enjoying your time with the game from all your posts about it so far, and see if things improve in the future.

I see a lot of hyperbole slinging on both sides here, though disagree about the state the game has launched in after the countless MMO launches I've been through. WoW was a much different game when it launched, it did some things better like UI customization though. Though really outside of RIFT which was very solid launched game, no other MMO has been this well polished at release frankly, I have a shelf full of old jewel cases for MMO's that were nothing but horror stories. Lot of elements are things that can be tweaked and it's still only 2 weeks since launch, I don't feel it's a broken game as so many other MMOs I stuck with for now. I would be worried if months later if some of this stuff didn't get fixed as it brings back memories of other poor launched games that had issues lingering for months to a year past launch. A person can make lists of all the graphical bugs, and problems they have encountered for pretty much every MMO if they wanted to as well.

CzarTim

The pub PVPers on KV are awful. There were a few days last week where I only did WZs to level from 33-37 and it was a blast, but now it seems like I always get put with people under 25 against a team of 50 imps.

Jarmel

Banned
JK/SW will see buffs first hopefully. They seriously need tweeking.

One thing I'll never understand is that at one point in testing Guardians and Juggernauts used to be the OP class. Stasis and Choke was 6 seconds instead of 3, Overhead Slash/Impale were base class abilities and they had Force Pull. These classes used to be really mean but then they got nerfed. What really gets me is that they took away Force Pull because apparently the class had too many gap closers. Then they go ahead and give the Vanguard/Powertech a charge AND a pull. It's not even a melee class and it has more gap closers!

That's what the class needs. Force Pull would have been god tier.

Walshicus

Maybe you need to just take a break, you obviously are not enjoying your time with the game from all your posts about it so far, and see if things improve in the future.

I think part of the reason why people get such polarised opinions here is that they're levelling too fast. Literally blitzing through the game as fast as possible. Seems like such a self-destructive method of play.

That's what the class needs. Force Pull would have been god tier.

At least the Sentinel/Maurader should have gotten that, they need something more than anyone. Course in beta the ranged classes like Smuggler and IA were whining about being raped by melee classes who just slapped them around like bitches

Dunlop

it's pretty funny how broken PVP is now that there are so many 50's. Ran into a few premades last night where they would just stay in strategic parts in Hutball and we could not drop them as the gear difference was just so huge.

Lost 6-0 in minutes

A Max level tier is done in pretty much every MMO out there, weird they neglected it here

Ken

I hear the consular's story and VA are both terrible, but my friend just started one today. Does it have any other redeeming qualities (like if the story gets any better)or should I suggest another class so she doesn't find the game too boring on her first character? She wants to advance into a shadow I think?

Won

I think part of the reason why people get such polarised opinions here is that they're levelling too fast. Literally blitzing through the game as fast as possible. Seems like such a self-destructive method of play.

But I wanted to know how the story ends!

Dunlop said:
it's pretty funny how broken PVP is now that there are so many 50's. Ran into a few premades last night where they would just stay in strategic parts in Hutball and we could not drop them as the gear difference was just so huge.

Lost 6-0 in minutes

A Max level tier is done in pretty much every MMO out there, weird they neglected it here

I think the plan was always to add it later after enough hit 50. Still a silly idea and things tend to go more out of hand every day.

Moaradin

I hear the consular's story and VA are both terrible, but my friend just started one today. Does it have any other redeeming qualities (like if the story gets any better)or should I suggest another class so she doesn't find the game too boring on her first character? She wants to advance into a shadow I think?

People say the story gets good later on after first act but I wouldn't know. They are still a fun class to play though.

Dunlop

yeah, there is at least two guys on my server that hit level 50 within 72 hours. All they have done since is bitch at people who screw up in PVP, taking into account that there are people who are level 10 and this might be the first time they have even played a warzone.

I just hit 39 on my BH main, made a maurader to 14 and absolutely hated the class in PVP so made a assassin to lvl 12.

I am not in a rush to hit 50 as I am pretty sure the endgame is gong to suck for a long while.

CzarTim

I'm 120 hours in and level 46. I've been taking my time and doing a bit of everything. If people want to complain about not enough content, let. I've found the opposite to be true. Lots of quest lines I've completely skipped because I'm already a higher level than needed for the next planet.

Moaradin

Who the hell is complaining about lack of content? I really can't think of one MMO with more launch content than this. Only thing to worry about is POST LAUNCH content and how they handle it.

stressboy

I'm 120 hours in and level 46. I've been taking my time and doing a bit of everything. If people want to complain about not enough content, let. I've found the opposite to be true. Lots of quest lines I've completely skipped because I'm already a higher level than needed for the next planet.

I have one level 14 character and another that is level 9. I haven't had much time to play, but from what I have played I have really enjoyed. This rush to get to max level in a week seems.. ridiculous.

Who the hell is complaining about lack of content? I really can't think of one MMO with more launch content than this. Only thing to worry about is POST LAUNCH content and how they handle it.

Most "lack of content" complaints were before the game launch, and directed at end game content. For many, the only content that matters is end game since the mentality that was put into many MMO gamers has been that the real game doesn't start till you hit max level.

For pure game content though I think the game is well equipped so far, the game just is feature lacking if anything.

Torraz

Just got the game, I decided on the Sith side, but now i'm really conflicted. I suffred from major alt-itis in WoW and this eventually caused me to burn out.

Since SWs are apparently gimpy I am having to decide between Inquisitors and Imperial Agents. Which is better for soloing and/or more fun?

Thanks

Just got the game, I decided on the Sith side, but now i'm really conflicted. I suffred from major alt-itis in WoW and this eventually caused me to burn out.

Since SWs are apparently gimpy I am having to decide between Inquisitors and Imperial Agents. Which is better for soloing and/or more fun?

Thanks

The only "gimping" of those classes really would be in PVP, otherwise they play fine in pve, and the Jug/Guardian AC's as tanks are great for soloing or general PVE use. The Sentinel/Mauraders are the lacking part of those as they just aren't as fun or have as much use as the other DPS classes.

I wouldn't worry about alit-itis here, one of the more alt friendly games due to class exclusive content adding a bit more for repeated playthroughs

Lost 6-0 in minutes

I am just a bit surprised so many people rushed to 50 TBH.

I am playing every day since pre-release and I am only level 30.

Torraz

The only "gimping" of those classes really would be in PVP, otherwise they play fine in pve, and the Jug/Guardian AC's as tanks are great for soloing or general PVE use. The Sentinel/Mauraders are the lacking part of those as they just aren't as fun or have as much use as the other DPS classes.

I wouldn't worry about alit-itis here, one of the more alt friendly games due to class exclusive content adding a bit more for repeated playthroughs

Ah, alright, thank you.

I also read that it was partly true in PVE since the "melee classes" are supposedly lacking in the AoE department while for instance the level 2 sorcerer I have also has a small CC built in that first lightning attack one gets.

~

I don't want to unnecessarily compare games, but could anyone draw some comparisons between SITH classes and their WoW counterparts?

Ah, alright, thank you.

I also read that it was partly true in PVE since the "melee classes" are supposedly lacking in the AoE department while for instance the level 2 sorcerer I have also has a small CC built in that first lightning attack one gets.

The other classes have more AoE attacks which people like, though they are not essential. You also have companion characters in PvE that perform AoE attacks if you really need that for the single player or non pvp part of the game. For tanking purposes they are quite competent with lot of good abilities.

If you want CC then yea Sorc/Consular are the best at it. Sorc/Consular can be built like a Mage or Priest, with some hints of Warlock tossed in

Walshicus

I'm lvl 26 and just got Tatooine available as a Consular. But my new obsession is going to each of the planets I've been to and making sure I've unlocked every map (so you get the whole-area view without the hexagons). I thought I was pretty thorough on Tython, but I missed a tonne of quests and holocrons!

Zafir

I just played a lot I guess. I didn't really rush to 50, listened to every bit of dialogue, and even did the bonus series' when they came up. Admittedly I didn't do many heroics, so that cut down time wasted, since I didn't bother waiting to find people for them. Did the flashpoints though.

Juice

Nolan North did the consular VA. he played the role well, but I agree the role of arrogant dogooder is a bit 1 dimensional.

Basically my consular is Captain Hammer.

It's my first class so if this is the worst, I'm excited! I like it quite a lot

Finally got to level 20 with my Powertech Pyrotech. Went 306k in a Warzone :D Decked him out in full lvl 20 PvP gear. Now I just want my grapple.

I would say for Consular, Act 2 and 3 are great.

Especially Act 3, it's got a twist and shit.

Cystm

Thanks

I apparently missed the dumping on Sith Warriors the last few pages. It varies from person to person, I guess. I think they are fine, and considering my guilds leader can practically 3 shot people in warzones, I'd say they aren't as gimped as some average skilled players might lead you to believe.

The class is what you make it in this instance.

Roll Sith Warrior.

nubbe

Sith marauder tear through Reps in PvP
Just with my lvl 12 toon I went "woah!"
Must be even more awesome at lvl 50 :p

The story seem really entertaining too. Rep stories are dull as manure.

CzarTim

I'm done with Warzones for a long time. I'm usually among the top in my team, but I haven't been on a winning team in DAYS. Been trying to do this god damn daily, but it's not worth it.

It's not the CCs that get to me, or the 50s on the other side, it's the incompetent team mates I can't handle. I don't want to be one of those assholes that yells at everyone, and I'm a loss away from doing that.

This game runs like shit on my laptop but I had to see. I now really want to build a economy box barebones gaming pc to really just play this and maybe diablo 3. I can tell this game is fun but the frame drops kill it for me right now.

TheContact

Just picked this up after not playing for a week or so after the beta closed. Made an SI instead of a SW this time. It's cool how different the story is, but I'm not digging PvP at all. Warzones are very weird...I'm not liking them. The only one that I sort of like is the 3-Node turret control map, but the games are so imbalanced. PvE is fun though, I guess I'll just stick to WoW's still-medicore PvP.

Guys what is a good money making profession now that slicing is nerfed? I'm going for Artifice, Archaeology and Slicing.

Also how many "stories" are there to see? I mean Consulars, do they have 2 stories (Sage and Shadow) or just one?

Guys what is a good money making profession now that slicing is nerfed? I'm going for Artifice, Archaeology and Slicing.

Also how many "stories" are there to see? I mean Consulars, do they have 2 stories (Sage and Shadow) or just one?

Each class has one main class story line, so there is 8 main class stories in games. Advanced classes don't have individual stories.

Then each planet has it's own quest chain story as well that can lead into bonus series and such.

Won

I'm done with Warzones for a long time. I'm usually among the top in my team, but I haven't been on a winning team in DAYS. Been trying to do this god damn daily, but it's not worth it.

It's not the CCs that get to me, or the 50s on the other side, it's the incompetent team mates I can't handle. I don't want to be one of those assholes that yells at everyone, and I'm a loss away from doing that.

Everyone is friendly here on the winning side.

But I start to get really annoyed at the wonky combat in this game. Players teleporting around. Abilities not firing. Ugh.

I also saw an opposing player on Ilum today! I think he didn't agree with me attacking him though.

Top Bottom